Summer Storm
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

The lights went out and, of course, the TV did, too. We were all dressed. I said, “Let’s go out to the trailer, look around, and determine if there is any news available.”

We stumbled to the door and went out. I blocked the door to keep it from locking. Misty looked at me with a question. “That’s to keep the door from locking closed. Our key cards might not work without power.” She nodded.

We went to the trailer and entered. I started the TV while Sharon operated the radio looking for a local station. I found a satellite with the dish first and it had HLN still chosen.

We listened as the announcer talked about another eruption at Yellowstone. That person was in Jackson Hole and was operating on emergency power outside on a city street. In the middle of the broadcast, the station went off just as the person there suddenly turned to the left and looked in horror at something.

“Everybody down! It’s bad. We don’t have any time!” I grabbed Misty and pulled her down and covered her with my body and the body of the trailer. Dave dived for Sharon doing the same.

Suddenly, the trailer shook as a shock wave or whatever you call it hit us. Even in the lee of the motel, it was a pretty bad shaking and felt like a big wind. It passed. I slowly got up staying low. “Is everyone okay?”

Dave said, “We’re okay but that was not good.”

Misty said, “Taylor, what was that?”

“I’m guessing another eruption and it was worse than before. We felt the ‘quake it caused and felt a big shockwave. We’ll stay low. Sharon, reach up and turn off the lights.” I turned the TV off. It wasn’t showing anything because the main studio hadn’t pulled back from the scene where they had had a camera and person. I figured those people and many more were dead. I was glad we had gassed up before pulling into the motel earlier.

“Dad, what do you think is happening or has happened?”

“It’s a guess but a larger eruption would make a bad situation worse. We’re still too close to be safe. My concern is ash and ‘quakes. Volcanic ash isn’t good for engines or lungs. Earthquakes aren’t good either. They can open up fissures or create other problems. It will be an hour or so before we know what’s going on, though it’s still dark which isn’t good.” I waited for the soundwave to hit. It was rough. “We’ll stay low until everything quiets down.”

We waited while quiet returned. I asked, “Dave, do you shoot?”

“No, sir.”

I said, “Okay, Sharon, you will take a pistol as will I. Don’t look for trouble but being hurt to be nice isn’t the way to be.” She nodded.

Misty said, “I can shoot, Taylor.”

“Okay, I’ll give you my pistol. I have another in the truck. I don’t expect trouble but don’t want us to be innocent victims.”

She nodded. I opened a storage door and reached inside. I pulled two pistols out with extra magazines for each. “The holster will slide on your belt. They’re loaded with one in the spout.”

Misty gave me a sharp look. “You are ready.”

“An emergency is not the time to be loading your gun much less looking for bullets if that’s what you need.” She nodded. Still lying on the floor of the trailer, she partially unfastened her belt and threaded the holster on it. She checked the pistol’s operation. She looked at me and nodded.

I said, “Let’s lie on the beds in here. I don’t know if it’s safer but we can hope. Also, we’ll be a few moments closer to leaving if it comes to that.”

“Taylor, let’s get our things from the room while there’s a lull.” I nodded. The four of us stood and moved to the door. I looked out the window and saw nothing. We slowly stepped out. We could hear things falling on the ground though it wasn’t rain. We moved in a rapid shuffling walk to our rooms and went inside the door I had blocked open.

Once inside, we gathered and packed the few things we had unpacked. Using the connecting door again, Sharon and Dave did the same bringing their cases into the room. I looked out the window and saw no people but that there was a reddish glow to everything.

I said, “Okay, everybody out and to the trailer.” Sharon led off followed by Dave. Misty and I left together. At the door of the trailer, we looked back having noticed that Sharon and Dave were looking behind us with fearful looks.

In the distance, we could see a big red glow and a towering cloud shot through with reds and oranges. There was a majesty and beauty about it even knowing that it represented terror and devastation. “Out! Misty throw your case in.” I threw mine in as the youngsters got out. Misty did and I shut the door. “Run for the truck! Leave the RV!” We all ran as I punched the fob to unlock the doors. We tumbled inside, I started the engine, and we pulled out of the motel parking lot heading north as fast as the rig would go!

I got on I-90 heading north and west. Sharon said, “Dad, take the US 287 and turn north. I was driving fast though cars were passing me going faster. I hoped they would be okay. I figured on more shocks and felt I could hold the truck and trailer on the road at this speed. At least, I hoped so. We had gone no more than a mile when we felt another shock that jarred the truck. I watched a car that had been going around a hundred miles an hour leave the road in the air and crash hard. I slowed down a little. I didn’t stop.

Up ahead, I saw signs for US 287. I took the exit as fast as I dared and then sped up as I straightened out. There was nothing on the road which suited me fine. I drove fast. Dave was looking out the back. I had the mirrors and didn’t like what I could see. I tried to hurry faster.

“Dad, Google Maps shows an hour and forty-three minutes normally to Helena. We can pick up I-15 north then. It will be after midnight when we arrive. There is hope that most people will not be out.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.