Summer Storm - Cover

Summer Storm

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 6

I said, “We’ll start back toward our RV park. This may not be a serious event for the park as a whole or it could also be the beginning of real danger. Let’s play it safe until we know more.” We rode slowly out and I noticed some small earthquakes. On the road to the park exit, I saw animals on the move heading away from the springs area.

Misty asked, “Taylor, what do you think is happening?”

“First, I don’t know but my guess is we’re going through a seismic event of some size. The whole park is on top of an old super volcano and the ground still has ongoing seismic activity. We just need to take reasonable precautions.”

“Dad, tune the radio to the park frequency. I’m getting notices on my phone though my connection is breaking up.”

We tuned in. Over the radio, we heard that the park was being closed! Small eruptions were occurring and the rangers were closing the park while the “situation was being evaluated.”

We traveled toward our site slowly due to heavy traffic. As we went by through the park gates, I saw that the entrance on the other side was barred with a few cars being turned away. The rangers were looking nervously behind us. Sharon and Dave were looking behind us. Dave said, “I’m seeing smoke! It’s well west and a little north of our current track. I think things at the springs where we were have gotten worse. I think leaving was a good idea, a really good idea.”

Sharon asked, “Dad, something bad is happening back there?”

“It appears so. My duty is to the three of you. That’s why we left. Unfortunately, it may be bad enough that there just won’t be anything rescuers will be able to do including rescue themselves. I’m worried but we’ll be careful and listen to whatever news is available.”

Misty asked, “Taylor, do you think we should move our campers?”

“Not yet, love. We should be at least minimally ready. One issue is that there is no quick way out from the RV park heading north or east. We’ll just have to play things by ear. I had looked at the map a day or so ago. Heading north takes us into the Beartooth Mountains and that will be slow. We’ll have to be thoughtful and consider our options though they may be few.”

We pulled into our sites and got out of the truck. I said, “I’ll get the TV going and see what we can find out. Sharon, Dave, why don’t you two go to the office and see what they know or think. You can tell them about the park’s closing if they don’t know about that.” They nodded and left.

Misty and I went in the trailer and I opened the cabinet door for the TV. I pressed the button that raised the dish. After it locked upright, I pressed the rotator looking for a signal from one of the satellites. When the trailer was renovated, Sharon had this installed. I was now glad. I found a satellite and we had a good signal. Up to now, it had only been tested. I turned to CNN’s Headline News to listen for any news or bulletins.

The announcer on HLN said, “This is breaking news! Seismic disturbances at Yellowstone have forced the park’s closure! All persons are being evacuated from the northern section of the park. Eruptions to some extent are known to have occurred. There are reports of injuries but no further information is available at this time.” The announcer went on to tell of some history of seismic activity at and historical information about the park but we had heard all the news available at this moment.

Sharon and Dave returned looking troubled a moment later. Dave said, “The park manager knows people who work at Yellowstone. He has been told that the area that we were in after lunch is completely devastated. Very few survived. Getting us out was a wise decision.”

Sharon said, “There is more. The manager is leaving and heading north. He said that the wind is coming from the north and west which will blow any trouble down from us but his friends in Yellowstone think more and bigger eruptions are coming.”

That concerned me. “Misty, what do you think? I’m unsure but the manager leaving worries me. He may know something we haven’t heard yet.”

“Taylor, let’s leave. We can be packed in a half hour. If we leave, we will have about three hours of good daylight left. If there isn’t too much traffic, we could put the Beartooth range between us and trouble. We were going to head north when we left so we’re just leaving a little earlier.” I thought it would be about one and a half days earlier which is a fair bit. However, I didn’t argue. I thought getting further away was the prudent thing to do.

We loaded up for a trip as quickly as possible. Our initial target would be to follow the main road over and through the Beartooths to Bozeman. That was the first decent-sized place on our previously planned route. It would take the rest of the day if there were no problems.

I grabbed Misty after telling both youngsters to keep getting us ready. “Misty, let’s have a little council. This is my thinking. We leave out of here and head north. It’s going to be slow going but it will put a mountain range between us and potential trouble like you said.” She nodded. “I don’t know how the RV is loaded but my trailer is fixed for emergencies with extra food and water as well as first aid kits and clothes. I’m thinking for us to lead out in the truck with Dave behind us in the RV. If we have to, we’ll leave the RV somewhere and the four of us will stay together. If there is more trouble, we can drop the trailer and continue in the truck. Are you okay with that plan?”

“Yes, I was going to suggest that we even consider leaving the RV here but getting it to Bozeman would be good if we can. My thought anyway was to arrange long-term parking for it somewhere and for the four of us to be together for the rest of our trip.”

“That’s reasonable. Let’s tell the kids. You and Dave need to pack clothes and personal items into the trailer just in case. We may not have much time if we have to leave the RV.” She nodded.

We separated to go about our chores. I found Dave disconnecting the RV’s hoses and plugs. “Dave, your aunt and I have talked. If we have to abandon a vehicle, it will be this one first. We’re making plans just in case. You need to pack some clothes and personal items into the trailer.” He nodded. “Your aunt was thinking to long-term park the RV and continue on with the trailer after leaving Yellowstone anyway. So, we hope this is just prep for that time. We should make Bozeman by dark.”

“Okay. That’s all good by me. I almost want us to leave it here but Bozeman works if we can get there. Sharon will ride with me. We can pick up TV while moving though the reception is poor.”

“Good. I have radio reception in the truck plus Sirius XM.” He nodded and I went to the trailer to disconnect it from the park’s utilities. We were hurrying without rushing. I just hoped that we had time to do what we had planned. I backed the truck into place and hooked the trailer up to the hitch and plugged in the lights. I checked the outside one more time and went inside it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.