Summer Storm
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Our initial trip was slow. Atlanta is not a fun place in which or through which to drive particularly not on a Friday afternoon in the summer while pulling a trailer. The house was well west of Marietta. We had to head south and west to reach I-20. Once on it, we headed west and the traffic gradually diminished, though at seventy-five, I was one of the slower ones. The state line wasn’t far and we arrived there without a problem. The trailer was tracking beautifully.

Pursuant to our plan, we had supper at a fast food place and were quickly on our way again. We had planned not to camp so stopped for the night north of Birmingham at a motel rather than go to the time and trouble of setting the trailer for use.

In the morning, we had breakfast in the restaurant attached to the motel and left heading northwest to Memphis. It was an easy drive.

In Memphis, we met Interstate Forty and took it west through Little Rock. Sharon had picked an RV park for the night. We pulled in and set the trailer. We had steaks for supper with fresh vegetables and a red Moscato. I managed to cook the steaks properly on the grill and Sharon did a wonderful job with the vegetables in the trailer’s kitchen. We enjoyed our meal and sat out enjoying the evening. We went to our beds early since our bodies were still on Atlanta’s eastern time.

It was early when we woke. We cleaned up and made breakfast. Once the dishes were washed, we readied the trailer and pulled out continuing on I-40.

Taking I-40 west to Oklahoma City, it was time to continue west but also to turn north going to Pueblo, Colorado, for the night. It was an interesting ride through prairie with the Rockies in the distance. We missed church but sang to hymns and gospel songs played from my CD player. It was fun to sing with Sharon. We realized that we hadn’t done that enough lately.

Sharon had chosen the Pueblo KOA as a safe bet and she had reserved a spot for us. Once parked and set, Sharon cooked chicken marsala which was superb. We had a Moscato with it which worked well. After we finished eating, we took our glasses out to sit in the open air. I had to admit that it felt wonderful and relaxing.

Sharon said, “Dad, we have two days before the Fourth. I didn’t plan to travel on the fourth but enjoy it somewhere.”

“Suits me, Sharon. I appreciate your planning for this trip. It’s working well and I’m enjoying it and your presence.”

She grinned. “We’ll see. The month has just begun.” She went in and returned moments later with her laptop. I had brought my phone and my old Kindle for reading when that spirit moved me.

Sharon mumbled a bit and then exclaimed, “this works better than I thought! Cody will work just as I had thought! They seem to really go for the Fourth. That also gets us close to Yellowstone, too. We’ll go to Casper tomorrow and then it’s a short hop to Cody. I’d reserved a place for a few days in Cody. Once there, we can look at Yellowstone and determine how to handle going through it. I’ve found us a place north of the park for our base. It will be closer than if we continued to stay in Cody.”

I smiled. “Okay, daughter. I’ll trust you. That will continue to be the plan.”

We made the trip over the next two days without incident. Early in the afternoon Tuesday, we pulled into an RV park in Cody. It was a pleasant park with inviting spaces. It also wasn’t cheap. I realized that this was their season. We also had the last available space because Sharon had reserved it early enough. We leveled the trailer and I pulled the truck away from the hitch to let it be used without the trailer while we were here.

That evening, we drove into Cody for supper and found a nice place with meat. I have always enjoyed steaks as has Sharon. Ours were good. We finished eating and returned to our site with a list of events. Once there, we pulled folding chairs out and sat down to enjoy the outdoors. We were drinking our favorite canned drinks, Cheerwine for me and a lemonade for Sharon.

As we were sitting there, a couple as mismatched as we except in reverse came along the roadway. I waved at the woman who waved back. The young man saw Sharon and walked to her. He said, “Hello, I’m Dave Baker.”

He left a space and, after a moment’s hesitation, Sharon said, “I’m Sharon Anderson. I’m here with my dad.”

He came closer and sat on the bench at the park table for our site. That put him close to Sharon. “My aunt and I are here for the Fourth. Then, we plan to go to Yellowstone. We’re from the Atlanta area. Where are you from?”

Sharon chuckled. “We’re from the Atlanta area, too. We live in west Cobb county almost at the Paulding county line.”

Dave looked surprised. “We’re from east Cobb. My Aunt Misty lives in Roswell.”

By then, “Aunt Misty” had walked into our site to join her nephew who had left her for Sharon. I looked at her. “Why don’t you join us unless you want to walk alone?” I grinned.

She grinned back looking a bit relieved. I stood and pulled another folding lawn chair from the trailer’s storage. She came over and sat in it beside me. She grinned looking at her nephew and my daughter. “I might as well. Since your daughter didn’t chase him off, he’ll be here a while.” We both chuckled.

I held out my hand. “I’m Taylor Anderson, Sharon’s father.”

She took it. “I’m Misty Baker. Dave is my brother’s son.”

I smiled. “It’s good to meet you, Misty. What do you do when you’re not escorting your nephew?”

She said, “I’m a math professor at Kennesaw State. Currently, I’m on sabbatical. My brother was supposed to be with us but his company needed him so he stayed. Taylor, what do or did you do?”

I grinned. “I’m a lawyer. I’m on sabbatical for a month. Sharon starts back teaching school in August. She wanted to make this trip and talked me into it.”

“Where is Missus Anderson?”

“Glenda had cancer and died over ten years ago. It’s just been the two of us since. Fortunately, Sharon’s a good girl. What about you?”

“I’m an old maid.” I looked over her tall, slim, and shapely, body and grinned at her. “I never found the right guy to be interested in a nerdy college professor.”

“I should have had professors who looked like you. I might have not gone to law school.” I grinned. I continued, “On a more serious note, what were you and Dave planning?”

“We’re here for the Fourth of July celebration and then planned to tour Yellowstone. Like you, we have a month to spend.” She took on an amused smile. “I think your daughter and my nephew would like us to spend some of that time together.”

I looked over that way and smiled. “So, it would appear.” Looking at Misty, I asked, “What kind of vehicle do you have?”

“Just the RV. It’s pretty big for navigating around.”

I nodded. “I have a four-door pickup which isn’t too bad. It’s big but not gargantuan. Why don’t we plan for you two to ride with us?”

“That works for me. I think Dave will be in favor of that idea, too.”

Dave’s head jerked up. “What?”

I noticed Sharon’s head had moved also. I said, “Doctor Baker and I were talking and I have suggested that we use my truck to see the sights tomorrow. It’s easier than pulling up stakes for your RV and wheeling it around. Would that be agreeable with the two of you?”

Sharon smiled nodding her head. Dave looked dazed but his head was nodding also. They stood and Sharon said, “While you two talk, Dave and I are going to walk a bit.” They left holding hands.

It felt funny. I wasn’t sure how I felt though surprise was part of how I felt. Sharon had never approached a man as willingly as she had approached Dave or had let one approach her. Misty said, “That is interesting. Dave has never shown much interest in a woman that fast to my knowledge.” She grinned. “Watching them will be interesting. I wonder if their infatuation will last?”

She said the last like she expected me to say something. “It’s a first to my knowledge. Sharon has been accused of being aloof at times and doesn’t usually warm up quickly to anyone. I’m almost shocked.”

I asked, “How do you feel about wandering around with me?”

She smiled. “That doesn’t look very bad from my point of view. At least you aren’t a student or another professor. The attitudes can be pretty thick. Someone is always watching every move now.”

I smiled back gently. “I understand. My firm has always had strict rules about fraternization and we enforce them. It’s the only way we can hope to stay out of trouble. Fortunately, we have one female partner and a clear path for partnership that has many objective parts to it. We’ve never been sued over our policies but I don’t want us to be either. I have been and will be upon my return the managing partner”

She looked at me. “If we go walking, will you hold my hand?”

I looked at her very directly for a moment. “I would like that.”

She looked a little surprised that I quickly took her offer. “Let’s go, Taylor. I don’t think they are walking fast. We can disturb them.”

They weren’t and we did. Sharon immediately noticed that Misty and I were holding hands. “Dad, you’re holding hands with Doctor Baker?”

“Yes, you’re holding hands with Dave so it must be okay.” I smirked and Misty chuckled. Sharon decided that responding wouldn’t be wise. It seemed that she didn’t want to release Dave’s hand either. They continued walking down the park’s roadway in front of us.

I noticed that it got cooler quickly when the sun went down. I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt over my tee shirt with slacks. Misty was wearing a tank top and shorts. That outfit showed an incredible figure but it was now being covered in goose bumps. I pulled my shirt off and offered it to her. She took it and put her arms through the sleeves pulling it close to her body. She reached over and took my arm pressing her side to it. “Thanks, it gets chilly out here when the sun goes down.” My tee shirt was thick and the half of my upper body being held by Misty was being warmed nicely. We weren’t walking fast but I didn’t care. It was comfortable.

We walked a little further and I noticed that Dave steered my daughter into a site. There was an older RV there and he left her at the picnic table while he went inside. Misty and I followed them. Misty handed me my shirt and said, “Wait a moment. I’ll be right back. She went inside. Dave emerged first a moment later wearing a pullover sweat shirt. He had another in his hands which he gave to Sharon who quickly pulled it on over her top. Misty emerged a minute later wearing jeans and a long-sleeved sweat shirt.

She came up to me and took my hand. Now, I’ll be more comfortable. Let’s go.” I smiled and went with her. This time, we led while her nephew and my daughter followed us. Misty asked, “Taylor, do we need to make plans for tomorrow?”

“I think Sharon has a program but we can check. When would you like to start?”

“Early. I usually get up early and, with the time change, I’m getting moving around dawn.”

“That works for me. We’ll just have to get the kids on board.”

Sharon had heard. “On board for what?”

I said, “Honey, Misty and I were talking about getting an early start tomorrow though I told her that you had a rough program mapped out for tomorrow. I like the idea of an early start.” I grinned. “That is, if you want to see Dave, otherwise you can sleep in.”

She was mock angry. “Yes, father. I plan to see Dave tomorrow. He warned me that his aunt gets up early like you do. I will get up. I’m not sure you two should be out without a chaperone.” She grinned this time.

We did call it a night later agreeing to meet at the Baker’s RV for an early breakfast. Sharon would have her plans ready for a review then.

Chapter 3 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.