The Baldwins From Texas
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2018 by happyhugo

Sam sent Hey Pete over to the Barkley ranch to tell me that they had discovered another twenty-three cattle carcass’s that had been missed last winter when we tried to get the cattle under the bluff. Sad, but nothing we could do about it.

Nancy had included a note to Rita. “Rita, everyone busted their butt to get through the winter and we will soon be sorting out the cattle. Steers to fatten to sell, see how many heifers we have that came through the winter, and how big a calf crop we are having. I think we ought to have a couple days off and just have some fun. Sam thinks my idea has merit. Let me know. Hell, come over for supper tonight. Pa left a few bottles of wine for the men to drink. I’m not drinking because of the baby. Tell Hey Pete. Maybe the Indians want to get in on this too. Love. N”

Rita showed the note to me. I began to laugh. “What’s funny?”

“Nancy’s note. She doesn’t write a note like the refined woman who came here late last summer from a city where herding steers and associating with Indians were the norm. She’s changed and is making Sam a good wife, don’t you think?”

“The best, Rita. She’ll never be as good as you, though.”

“That’s because you’re Chance Baldwin and not your brother. You are the one to make me what I am.”

“We do make a pair. So are we going over to the Owen ranch?”

“Yes, so ask Ma if she wants to go? She can drive the gig.”

“Chance, you’re saying I can’t get on a horse aren’t you.”

“No, you’d do it if you set your mind to it, but you better not. I’m thinking of my son, here.”

“I was too, I was just pulling your string.”

Rita and I arrived at the Owen ranch. This was wash day for Nancy had the blankets out airing and the sheets on the line. “I washed all our dirty clothes yesterday. The Indians are using the wash kettle now to do their things. They keep it simple. They throw all their clothes into the kettle and boil them. They rinse them in cold water and hang them up. I promised I would buy them a large kettle just like ours for them to have when they go back up into the hills.

“So what’s this about having a get together?”

“It’s Sam’s idea. We are over the winter or should be. Before we get to start the season’s work and everyone splits up, He thought we should do a small steer and make a day of it.”

“That’s a great idea. When is this going to take place?”

“How about the day after tomorrow? We’ll have it in the afternoon and evening. Chance why don’t you get enough booze from town. Get some so the Indians can have a drink too. Joe said he can control them. All of his people will be here. He’ll probably be the one who will get the drunkest.”

“Could be, Sam. After this winter we’ve had, I feel like I could tie one on. That’s what Joe said that the trappers did in the spring when they came out of the woods. Maybe he will tell what it was like when he first came into the country. I think that was back before the war with Mexico.”

“We’ll get him talking for sure.”

The word went out to the Taylors and the Pickwells. We figured everyone in the valley would be here. Maybe we would have an impromptu horse race. The Indians would love that. The Indians of Joe’s family belonged to the Shoshone tribe and great horse riders. Their ancestors had stolen the horses from the Spaniards originally. They were well known for stealing from other tribes too and one of the reasons they were treated with caution.

The other tribes looked down on them for another reason, calling the Shoshone, “Digger” Indians for the simple reason they dug in the ground for wild tubers and roots they used in their diet. Oh, they had enemies, but they weren’t particularly warlike like the Sioux, Cheyenne, and Northern Arapahoe.

The Indians all arrived wearing their finest clothes. Sam and I happened to dress in like clothes—jeans and blue shirts. We could have been twins except Sam was a little taller than me and his hair was lighter. You’d know us for being brothers. The women all wore dresses—mostly calico. It was warm enough to just wear shawls. Ma was decked out in a pretty dress with petticoats under. She looked like a belle of the old south which of course she was one.

Rita came by me, early on. “Chance, we’ve dressed Marion Taylor and Ellie Jones in the clothes we refitted from Nancy’s prettiest dresses. Now you don’t be looking too close at Ellie. She is the prettiest thing. I’m worried, just look at me as big as cow and all out of shape. If you’re going to compare me with anyone, compare me with Nancy. We’re both in the same condition.”

“You’re beautiful in everyone’s eyes. I’m so lucky to have you.”

There was to be a horse race in the field behind the barn. A post had been driven a quarter mile out and the race was to race around it and come back to the start. I was putting money on Rod Granger. He was light and had a great horse he had been given by Rafe Barkley. But then the Indians had good horses too.

There was to be a wrestling match the Indians could join with the rest of us in. I planned on winning that. I had done some of that, learning from an Irishman who was in my outfit during my years in the military.

We got to meet Joe’s new squaw. She stayed by herself. She was a heavy person and she arrived sitting on a travois. Joe was riding the horse and was acting proud of her when he stopped. The squaw didn’t get off, moving only enough to dangle her feet over the back edge of the platform she was sitting on. The horse stood there all afternoon and she would utter a command at it if it became restless. She was pretty much ignored by everyone. Ellie was the one to take food to her. They had come to Joe’s camp when they came down from the Wind River reservation.

I had to meet her and Joe had gone off somewhere. “Ellie, pleases introduce me and tell her I’m Chance Baldwin, a friend of Joe’s. What is her name?”

“She picked a white name and took Joe’s name. It is Mable Arcand, now. She has had several names over her lifetime, but that’s it now.”

Ellie led me over to the travois and Mable looked like she was afraid of me. I kept a respectful distance. Ellie began speaking and did go on for five minutes. The squaw listened intently. When Ellie finished speaking, Mable extended her hand for me to touch. I then gave a speech of my own. Telling how I had arrived here with Joe and during a gun fight and how he was my great friend and I loved him like a brother. How Joe was so good in showing me the ways of the Indian and how it was that I had come through the winter without losing too many wahoos. When I stopped, Ellie translated. This brought a smile to Mable’s face.

I turned to leave. Ellie then translated what Mable had said. “You are a great man and a good friend of the Indian. She is honored to have you come speak with her. Her brave, Joe was very wise to choose you to be his friend.” There was more, but it was just couched in flowery language. And the references she gave I doubt you would understand.

For myself, “Chance, I think you are a great and wise man too.”

“Thank you, Ellie. Have you made any plans yet?”

“Yes I have. Tucker Taylor has chosen me to be his squaw. He will be talking to his parents soon. He is hoping they will give us some land to work when we aren’t working on their land for them. He is oldest son so he is responsible to carry on when they pass on. It is important to them.”

“You aren’t going to look up your father’s family, then?”

“Maybe someday. I have their names and the village where they live, but I don’t want to leave my grandfather here.”

“Joe is your grandfather?”

“Yes, I am Morning Sun’s granddaughter. My mother was Joe and Morning Sun’s youngest daughter. My father married her and I am the only child. She died with the pox several years ago.”

“Your father had no contact with his people?”

“Not much. I have a half dozen letters, but I have no desire to meet them. Father did write a letter that we would be joining them as soon as it was okay to travel. Papa Joe did send a letter from Casper that my father is dead, so they know that. Some of what is in the letters are not pleasant for they were unhappy Father made his life with the Indians so I’m staying right here where both the whites and the Indians love me. Besides, I have promised myself to Tucker. Papa Joe approves. That is all I need.”

What was there for me to say?


I happened to look toward the Barkley ranch. I could see riders coming. I signaled to Sam and he walked out where he could see who was approaching. I walked up beside him. We decided it was some troopers headed to this place. I was worried about the Indians that were all here. I went and found Joe.

“Troopers are coming Joe. You want to handle this and I’ll swear to everything you say?”

“That’s a good plan. Oh, I see you over talking with my squaw. You aren’t planning on taking her away from me are you?”

“Nope, she’d be too much for me.”

“Good, I don’t want to lose her. Let’s go meet them troopers.”

This was a small detail we were facing. I guess I was the person who looked to be in charge. A Warrant Officer spoke to me. “I’m Warrant Officer Peter Hodkins, Are you John Owen? I was told this is his ranch.”

“No, John sold this ranch to The Baldwin family. I’m Sam, this is my brother, Chance and my mother owns some of it too. I’m married to John’s daughter, Nancy. John sold to us to get money to develop a mine near Denver. Chance is married to John’s step daughter Rita.”

“So you own the ranches here in the valley?”

“That’s right, two here in the valley. Ron Pickwell to the east of us has cows and horses. What can we do for you?”

“I’m out scouting for cows to feed Indians on the reservation. North and West of here, the ranches had as much as sixty percent loss during the winter. None of them can fill what we need. The word is you saved most of your herd.”

“Yeah, but we worked at it. We lost about five percent. It’s pretty normal to lose two percent, so yes, we did well.”

The troopers were looking around. One edged over to speak to the officer, “Sir, they got Indians here. That’s not legal.”

“What about that? How come?”

Joe had come up with Sam and me, and he answered, “They’s family. You may have heard of me. I’ve been here in the territory for nearly forty years. The name is Joseph Arcand. I took on a squaw when I came and most of the Indians here belong to me in one way or another. There weren’t many white men around, just Indians and trappers back then. Fort Laramie was built in ‘34 to service us that lived here.”

“What tribe do they belong to?”

“The Shoshone, same as those up on the reservation. My first squaw was of that tribe. We had two daughters. They’s both dead now, but three of my granddaughters and their braves and kits are in this bunch. One of the squaws here was my first squaw’s niece and her brave and kits are here. I’m telling you, the reason the Baldwins are going to have cattle for sale is because they was here to warn about the coming storms and they worked side by side with the Baldwins keeping the cattle from drifting out of the county.”

“You Baldwin, line up the Indians so I can look them over. Is this Joe telling me the truth?”

“Every bit of it. Why don’t you step down off your mounts and eat with us. All the Indians will be stepping up to be fed and you can look them over then. Joe, sit beside him and you can tell which is which. There is a water trough by the barn for your mounts and I’ll get someone to give them some hay.

“Come meet my wife Rita, and Sam’s wife, Nancy. My mother, Hetty, would enjoy meeting you too. I met Ron Pickwell in the Army and when I left Texas I came up here searching for him. I ran into Joe and he guided me to him. My Ma and Sam followed months later. Since then I married John Owen’s step-daughter and Sam married John’s daughter. We’ve since bought Owen out.

“I tell you, Joe’s Indian family has been a big help to us getting settled in. Texas has been settled for years and up here, it’s pretty raw, both in the weather and the Indian situation. It is bad and getting worse. The Mexicans did to the Indians in Texas years ago what we are doing to them here now. We all realize what’s coming and regret it, but know it can’t be stopped.”

The three troopers with Hodkins mixed in with my hands while Hodkins stayed with Joe, Sam, and me when we lined up for food. Or wives were the ones dishing out the vegetables. I introduced each as we progressed down the table. Tim Taylor was carving off a quarter of beef right into our plates or bowls if that was what we were using. The Troopers had mess kits. I used the same, mine being stamped CSA. Hodkins, made note.

I laughed, saying, “Some of these things don’t wear out. I doubt the CSA will ever be forgotten either.”

“I agree; half of the troops out here are populated with those who fought in gray uniforms.”

Marion and Elle were serving biscuits from a basket on the end of the table. Both had on dresses that had been cut down from the many that Nancy had brought with her. Both these girls were young and pretty—Ellie more than Marion. Marion spoke to each of us by name.

Ellie did the same until Joe was in front of us. “Hi, Papa Joe, I got Mable some food already so you won’t have to bother.”

“Thanks, Ellie you’re a good girl.” He turned to Hodkins, “Sir, this is my youngest Granddaughter, Ellie Jones. My daughter married a white man, named, Jeremiah Jones. He lived around here for many years.”

“Yes, I’ve met him. I understand he has not long passed. I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you. He was a good father. I was lucky to have a grandfather to go to when it happened.”

We found a place to sit down. On the way there, Joe took us by his other two granddaughters who were sitting with their braves and children. You wouldn’t know that Ellie was cousin to these two ... she a quarter Indian, and these two were three-quarter Indian. Hodkins didn’t make comment. He began to question us about any movement of Indians in the area, just saying that there was possibly a battle coming between the Sioux with Cheyenne Indians, and with the Army later on in the season.

Joe, said, “I doubt the Shoshone will be involved. I’m sure they have no plans to join the other Plains Tribes. The Army doesn’t even use them for scouts. My Indians here are happy. We’ve had this small village of mine since the pox epidemic, years ago. I moved them away from the other Indians, but not soon enough. I caught it, but survived. I lost half of those I brought with me. We have been very careful about who we let visit us, even.”

“Baldwin, how come you have all of them down here today?”

“They are here for a thank you, same as my other help. My friends are here as well. In fact you are seeing everyone that belongs here in the valley and from the land I claim for my summer graze.”

“Well you certainly know how to put on a spread. We need cattle to feed the Indians on the reservation. How many head do you think you could contract to deliver, and how much a head.”

I named a figure. He would take only three-year-olds and older. If I they were heifers in the herd, they would have to be four years.

“I’ll sell, but there won’t be any heifers. This year they are going to be the most valuable animal given the winter we have just come through. All the ranchers will be looking for replacements. About the delivery, I’ll want a good sized escort of troopers to go along with my crew. I expect I’ll have the script in hand before we start moving the cattle.”

“Maybe we should take delivery here at the ranch.”

“You can and it would be a relief, but your troopers have never handled a large herd of cattle and would lose a lot of them.”

Joe broke in, “Most of your troopers will be off post fighting this summer and fall. The Indians are going to push the army back this season if they can. You may not have much army left by October.”

“I’m sure it won’t be that bad. I should think you people so far away from the post would feel vulnerable?”

“We do, but many of us have been here many years and most of us have fought Indians since we came. You can’t bully Indians, but sometimes you can talk to them if you’ve always treated them right and kept your word in the past. I’ve got Joe here to speak for us.”

“Yeah, well, good luck. God, what people won’t do to do to make money? If they only would stay out of the territories where they aren’t supposed to be. The government has treaties with the Indians and people keep pushing in until the treaty is broken. Who can blame the redskins for fighting? The worst of it is us solders get sent in here to protect the ones who are breaking the law and I probably will get killed before my hitch is up.”

“How long have you been in the Army?”

“Eighteen years, come fall. I’m waiting on my resignation papers and hope they come before the whole territory blows up. Baldwin, I’ll give you a paper saying you’re selling us cattle. I’ll get what you asked approved and get the contract back to you. Expect it ten days. Looks like you’ve got a good thing going here. Lucky you’ve got a wife. I’ve never had the luxury. You wouldn’t want to put together some of that food for us to take with us would you?”

“Sure, I planned on it.”

“Just a rumor I’ve heard, but I understand the powers that be are ordering a census to be taken in a year or two. You might want to give your Indians your name to go by if you want to keep them with you. That’s what those southerners did with their Darkies when the freed them. Might not do them any good, but then it might.”

“Thanks, Sir, I’ll look into it.

“Just so’s you know, I’ve never seen a more beautiful young woman than that one you said was a quarter-breed. She sure is lovely.”

“She is that. I suspect she will be married soon. She is quite taken with a farm boy and of course he with her,

“It seems it would be a shame to waste her beauty on some farm.”

“Maybe, but if she hadn’t shown up here she might have ended up in some brave’s lodge. I’m sure she will be the one to pick a mate—someone that will make her happy.”

“You know her. I hope you’re right. Well I guess we had better mount up. Nice talking to you. I hope the cattle will be fatter than the ones I saw coming here.”

“They will be. I’ve got plenty of feed.” Hodkins raised his hand and they wheeled their mounts around and rode away.

“Sam, good piece of business, wouldn’t you say?”

“You put the price up pretty high didn’t you?”

“Yeah, high enough, I hope. That’s about four dollars a head more than last year, but we have to deliver them and that’s not going to be any picnic. Where’d Joe get to?”

He’s with the Indians the other side of the barn. I gave him a bottle so they could all have a taste. They expected it.”

“I want to talk to him.”

“That’s about that census thing isn’t it?”

“Yeah, if any of them will go for it we might as well get it done.”

Sam thought a minute and then said, “I’ll take the two braves that belong to Joe’s two granddaughters for the Owen ranch.”

“He may not want to give them his name.”

“That’s okay, but I want them working here on the Owen ranch. You better grab that one that Hey Pete belongs to. The boy will make a hand someday.”

“That’ll work. That means that Halona will belong to the Barkley Ranch. That’s good, we get along very well and always have. I’ll take the other one who doesn’t have a squaw too.

“Rita won’t get jealous will she? She’s likely looking for an Indian.”

“Sam, Rita is all I can handle.” Sam burst out with a guffaw.


Cows began dropping calves the following week. All the hands were out with the herd looking for cows that might have trouble calving. The calves were coming with good weight and went right to sucking on their mothers. In a few short weeks we would be moving these cows and young stock into the high country for the summer.

Sam and I kept the animals that were to be delivered to the Army down on the two ranches where we could watch them. Always there was the chance of rustlers, especially this year when the ranches had lost so many cattle in the dreadful winter past.

The Indians would be patrolling the upcountry along with some of our hands so I wasn’t that worried about losing those cattle as much. Everything but the calves would be wearing a brand. We might lose a few to someone butchering a stray, but there shouldn’t be any wholesale theft. I could be proven wrong, but that was the cattle business.

The summer began and ranch work was the usual. With the added four Indian braves and the four hands Ma had taken on last winter we had full crews. We did give the Indians white men’s name. Halona’s brave was named George Barkley after our ranch. Hey Pete became Peter Barkley and proud of his new name.

Over at the Owen ranch, Nancy didn’t think that her father would appreciate Joe’s two granddaughters taking the ranch’s name, so they took Joe’s name of Arcand. The women were Rosie and Anita. Their braves were Daniel and Richard (Danny and Dicky) Arcand.


We didn’t see the Taylors that often. I’ll amend that, we saw Marion anytime she could get away. We didn’t get on to something. Rod Granger would offer to go over to the Owen Ranch to let Sam know of any news about what we were up to here. We found out that Rod and Marion were meeting at the Owen Ranch on the sly. Rita and I made the trip to the other end of the valley to talk to Tm and Faith.

It was for Tim to handle. “Marion, would you and Rod come here, please.” The two had already headed for the barn when Tim shouted to them. “Marion, you’ve been telling me that Nancy Baldwin asked you to come over to her ranch as often as we would let you. Have you been talking to her at all or have you just been going somewhere to meet Rod?”

“Most times I see and talk to her.”

“Is that true, Rod?”

“I always talk to Sam, but we have to see each other as often as we can. Mr. Taylor, we love each other.”

“Okay, I can understand that. Have you made any plans for what you are going to do after you are married?”

Marion broke in, “Pa, it isn’t right we can’t be together. I know I should be here on the farm and you don’t want me to leave, but you have Ellie here now to take my place. I plan on helping Rita and Miz Hetty during the week and we are hoping Rod doesn’t have to work on Sunday. We’ll both ride over to help one day a week. Rod thinks he can build us a small place to live. Maybe if that doesn’t work out, Halona will help us make up a tent to live in.”

“You’re sure about this?”

“We are. Mom was a year younger than I am now when you were married and Rod and I are as much in love as you were. Rod is earning full wages and we can live on that. He doesn’t drink or smoke and I’m sure you will let us have some vegetables if we come on Sundays.”

Tim looked at his daughter he was keeping a straight face not giving any indication of what his thoughts were. “You two take a walk and let me and your mother talk this over with Chance and Miz Rita.”

As soon as they were out of sight Tim burst out laughing. “What do think, Chance?”

“I think we had better get the two of them married as soon as possible. We’ll build them a cabin much like the line camps. If we all pitch in, that will only take one Sunday. Maybe the women will all get together and sew up a bunch of dresses for Marion and there is a spare suit for Rod to get hitched in at the ranch. Say what, three weeks?”

“That sounds about correct. Crops will be mostly planted and we’ll have some cultivated by then. The mowing machines we ordered will be here soon. In another month we’ll begin putting up some hay. You and Sam each bought one hay cutter. I bought one and Ron Pickwell bought two. We’ll see if we can learn how to operate the contraptions. Now, let me get those kids out here and get this settled.”

Tim shouted, “Rod and Marion come out here. Marion, you get your mother and the rest of the family and we’ll have us a family meeting.” Faith and the rest of the family joined us. Tim spoke to Faith while everyone looked on.

“Faith, these two want to get married. Now would be a good time because we are kind of caught up. What are your thoughts?”

“I’m going to miss her, but I think they are ready. Rod has steady work and Marion hasn’t been that much help around here lately with her head in the clouds all the time. Ellie does twice the work she does anyway.” Faith was smiling as she said this so her words weren’t hurtful. “She has promised to help out if we are shorthanded at times and she isn’t needed at the Barkley ranch.”

“Okay, we are agreed they should be married. Three weeks on a Sunday should be time enough to get them ready, wouldn’t you think? Chance said he and everyone in the valley would take that day to put up a home for them. They will be starting out with more than we had when we got hitched.”

“I know. My Pa was against us and my mother had to lay the law down to him.”

Tucker spoke up, “Pa, how about me and Ellie? We plan on getting married too and I’m older than Sis. It should be me getting married first and not her.”

“Have you asked Ellie yet? Maybe she wants to wait awhile.”

Ellie answered, “Mr. and Mrs. Taylor, I love Matt and he loves me. I’ve been living close to or with Indians all my life. Much of my family live here and I want to stay close to my grandfather. I know I have some white folks, somewhere, but I can look them up after Tim and I get settled. Tucker said you would give him some land when he got married so we can raise extra crops and make some money while still working for you. We plan on making our life here and not leaving.”

“Ellie and Tucker, you make plans and we’ll see you have a home of your own anywhere on the farm. You just pick out a plot and we’ll get a home built for you before cold weather.”

“Thanks, Pa and Ma.” Tucker was grinning all over.

“Can I be calling you Pa and Ma just like Tucker does?”

“Of course you can, Ellie. Ellie, let me hug you and welcome you into the family, permanently.”


Naomi and John returned from Denver. John was happy with the mine he was developing. “It looks as if I have a real winner in this one. The gold vein will really pay off if it holds up. There are also other minerals that have considerable value. There is a bit of silver ore that we may extract and of course there is lead and copper. It seems like there is a bit of everything.”

Here in the valley we were cutting hay for the horses with the new mowing machines. Ron had the flattest and mostly rock free land so his stacks of hay grew in numbers. This might be his most profitable side line. He was the one who started cutting grass first and we all gathered at his ranch for a demonstration. Our cow punchers were tickled that they wouldn’t have to use a scythe to cut grass ever again.

The Indians had mostly gone back up to their old settlement in the hills for the summer. Hey Pete wanted to stay down and live in the bunkhouse on the Barkley ranch. He looked up to Rod and followed him around. He was disappointed that Rod and Marion were going to move into their own home, but the other punchers treated him pretty good, so as long as Rod was here he was happy living with them in the bunkhouse. Halona and George had moved into the same type of cabin we built them when the Indians had taken white names.

At the Owen Ranch, Nomi was staying until Nancy and Rita had their babies. John stayed two weeks and then rode south to take care of his mine.

Sam and I wondered if we had set the price high enough for the cattle we had contracted to sell to the Army. We were supposed to deliver the herd about the same time as our kids were born. We decided that both of us would be joint bosses of the herd as far as Casper. There was to be a two squad of soldiers to meet us at that time. We then would flip a coin and one of us would return to oversee both ranches while the other went onto Wind River.

Rod and Marion’s home would be up by this time so we decided that Rod would hold down the ranch while the rest of the crew was delivering the cattle. Rod would have a lot of time to get used to being married. That is if Hey Pete didn’t bug the newly married couple too much. We laughed because Hey Pete was afraid of Ma and she would give him what for if he was trouble.

It was a within week of the two babies arriving when the herd was gathered and headed up the trail to Casper. Rita had gone to the Owen ranch to be with her mother for her birthing time. She was hoping that I would win the coin toss and be the one to come home from Casper and not have to take the herd up to the Wind River reservation with the troopers.

The cattle had been gathered into a single herd from the two ranches and hadn’t got used to each other as of yet. Not only that they didn’t want to be leaving their home range. It took time to get them started up the trail. Rod was in at the beginning and would return after the first day. This left Marion, Hetty, Halona, and Hey Pete, alone until Rod got back late that night. Halona was down from the hills to tend her garden and would leave in a couple of days to return to the Indian encampment. Marion was helping her.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.