The Baldwins From Texas - Cover

The Baldwins From Texas

Copyright© 2018 by happyhugo

Chapter 6

It was another long day. We stayed one more night with Tim and Faith, too tired to ride home. In the morning we mounted up. Marion was the saddest person standing watching Rod ride away with us. Ma wanted Sam to ride in the gig with her for awhile. I knew she wanted to tell him all about Rafe Barkley dying and what he had given her. Ma would never divide it and it was for all of us to use. Who needed a corporation with shares? We were all one family and would continue to live that way.

We left Ron and Mary, only stopping for a drink of water. Ron and one of his hands were going to meet us at the Owen ranch tomorrow and we would ride up to the Indian encampment where we were building the first line camp. This wouldn’t be before nine. I got into the gig with Ma. “What did Sam have to say about Rafe leaving us so much money?”

“He wants to use it to buy out John. What do you think?”

“I’m not surprised and I think it would be good if we could. You know we are pretty well to do. There is the $700 I dug up that came from Texas with me. There is everything that came from selling the ranch in Texas and there is the all the money that Rafe left you. There must be nearly $100,000 in all.”

“Yeah, and a little bit more. Sam is going to talk to Nancy tonight. John and Naomi will always have a home there with Sam and Nancy, but it would be great to have it totally in our names.”

“John will be back in a couple of days according to Nancy. We’ll see then”

In the morning Rita, Rod, Manny and Gordy and I headed for the Owen ranch. There was the ranch surrey sitting in the yard. “Must be John and Naomi are home.” They were, sitting having coffee. Rita was tickled to see her mother.

“Mom, how was your honeymoon?”

“It was wonderful, Rita. We went from Cheyenne to Denver. John showed me the sights in the big city. We stayed at the hotel the first night while he was getting his house opened. It is a beautiful house. I almost didn’t want to come home. How was your honeymoon, dear?”

“It was great, Mom. We spent some time up in the foothills and I found where I think we will build us a home. We cut logs for two of the camps we need. Spent one night with the Indians, and helped the Taylors dig potatoes. Were you surprised to find me living over at the Barkley ranch?”

“Yes, I was. We talked about it last night and decided it made sense. Even more sense after you talk to John.”

“What’s that about?”

“He’ll explain. Come have coffee. Nancy and I got up early and made doughnuts.”

“John waited until we had eaten when he said, “You don’t know this, but when I sold out my mines I kept one plot of land that I didn’t think I wanted to let go. I have a minor partner that has been digging test holes into the side of a hill. Come to find out, it promises to be one of the richest ones I have ever owned. I’m waiting on financing to hire a crew to start working it.

“I believe Naomi and I will be living in Denver this winter. The thing is; I have men lined up that want to finance me. They want a share in the mine, not just to lend me the money. It is too bad because it could make me rich if I didn’t have to take on another shareholder under such terms. I came up to think about it and decide what to do before returning.”

“You’ve got the ranch, Daddy. You can use that for collateral”

“I know Nancy, and I own it free and clear, but I would have to mortgage it and no one wants to come up with the cash for something up here in the middle of the Territory. I also think there is some collusion between the possible prospective shareholders. I want to leave you and Rita some heritage. It’s a tough world out there.”

“How much do you need, Daddy?”

“I need at least $30,000. $35,000 would be better, but I can get by with the lesser amount.”

Sam looked at me. I spoke, “John, if you would put five names on your deed, along with a contingency that you and Naomi will have a home for the rest of your lives, I’ll get you a draft on the Cheyenne bank for $35,000. Ma, Sam, and I have that much in our account. All you have to do is step up and present the draft it to a teller.”

“That’ll leave you without working capital won’t it? Oh, I’d sell the ranch and the remaining cattle to you, but it seems like you would be at risk to lose it.”

Rita spoke, “John, I know otherwise and so doesn’t Nancy. If you want it in gold, see Mother Baldwin, she has it at hand.” Rita looked at me, “I couldn’t keep the secret and I told Nancy.”

Sam laughed. “Neither could Nancy, she knew it because I told her last night. Seriously, John, if you would deed the ranch to us we’ll give you the money that you need. You won’t even have to pay wages to manage the ranch either.”

Everyone laughed at that.

It was up to me to explain. Even he laughed when I said we were concerned about the decision that Sam take over as manager in my place. We decided we had better get going if we were going to get any building done. Ron would be up there already, I imagined.

He wasn’t, because he, Tim Taylor, Marion, and the two young kids came through the woods to meet us before we got to the Indians. Tucker and Faith Taylor stayed on the farm. When we arrived, Joe came out and made introductions.


The line shack was all done except for the roof and the floor. Joe had told me he could build one if he had a sharp enough axe. Tim had the tools to make shakes packed on his work horse. Marion was on a saddled horse and the two kids were riding on a work horse together without a saddle. Joe had cut blocks to length sometime since we had been here. Tim immediately went to work with the froe. He had a large mallet made out of maple wood that was used to pound the froe, splitting off a shake. Tim, I could see, knew what he was doing so I left him to it.

Rod had brought a bucket of nails to nail on the shakes when they were ready. I looked inside and could see where Joe had got the sill ready to fit flattened logs onto it for a floor. This cabin was going to be first class. He even had made a loft so more than two men could live in it. It was Joe’s and he could have anyone he wanted with him. He had talked about getting a squaw, but God he was getting old. I grinned ... more power to him.

Joe was thinking, “Chance, leave the floor for me. I can do that anytime. Let’s get on to the next line shack. There is enough logs cut here for the floor, but they haven’t been notched or flattened with the adz to fit together tightly. You said one time you have used one.”

“Yeah, I’m going to see if I have forgotten how or not. I see Tim Taylor’s two kids are eyeing the Indians. I’d like to leave them here with the Indians, just to show them that kids are lot alike no matter who they are. Where is Hey Pete? He can do it if anyone can.

“Halona has got him inside making up food for winter. I’ll bet he is sick of it by now. He is pounding up dried beef and tallow for the pemmican.”

“Which tipi is hers?”

Joe pointed. I saw Marion watching her father making shakes. “Hey Marion, do you want to see how the Indians make pemmican? That’s a food staple for them and about the only way to preserve their food. It keeps for a long time and certainly long enough to go through the winter.”

“That sounds interesting.”

“Well, grab Matt and Debby. You can see what it is like inside of their tipi.” The three followed me. I got up close to the tipi. “Hey Pete, come out, you have guests.” I was uncertain if he knew what I had said, but his head popped out the door.

“Hi, me Hey Pete.” He looked expectantly.

I told the kids, “He wants to know your names. Tell him and then cross your arms across your chest. That tells him you want to be friends.” Hey Pete came all the way out. Halona stepped out behind him.

“Hi, Halona. Can I leave these people with you? They want to see your home. I’m taking most everyone with me except their father who is making shakes.” I pointed, so as intelligent as she was, I knew she knew what I wanted. I often thought that Halona didn’t let everyone know how much of the English language she understood. She held the door open and made an inviting motion to come in. The three Taylors followed Hey Pete inside hesitantly. I guess he hadn’t seen many white kids before.

I went back to Joe as he was gathering some tools. He was laughing, “You know, Halona can fully understand what you are saying. They know English because I get sick of their Indian jabber sometimes. Morning Dawn taught her granddaughters before she died so they could speak to me in my own language. Remember, I told you once I was a school teacher and I didn’t go native all the way. It’s kind of like a game, especially with Hey Pete.”

“I wondered if that wasn’t what was going on.”

“Say, Chance, do you remembered that I said I might find me someone to live with?”

“I do. Have you?”

“Yeah, and you won’t see much of her either. She has a touch of white blood and hasn’t been treated very well by either white or red. There is also a young quarter-breed woman with her. I guess I’ll be watching out for her as well. You wouldn’t hardly know she had any Indian in her. She looks as white as Rita does after being out in the sun by the end of summer. I don’t suppose your Ma would take her on?”

“I don’t know. We’re living with Ma now. Rita might not like me bringing home another female. Why can’t she stay here?”

“Chance, she doesn’t fit in because she looks white. Some of these braves will be sniffing around. If she looked like my granddaughters with the same amount of red blood I wouldn’t care, but she doesn’t. She could cause a big explosion of jealousy in the camp and it wouldn’t be her fault.”

“Can I meet her? What’s her name?”

“Sure, she’s with one of my granddaughters. Her name is Ellie Jones. She was named by her father. She can speak English real good so you can talk with her. Come with me.” We went across the camp and Joe rattled the door of the nearest granddaughter’s tipi. He opened the door and I followed him inside.

There was a young woman standing there. She was dressed in Indian raiment. Moccasins, leggings and what looked like a dress of deer skin. Her hair was a dark brown. She was tall and I see why Joe was concerned about the way she appeared, especially the way the dress was molded to her. Her skin color was a little dusky but in white man’s clothes, you wouldn’t be able to tell she had any Indian blood in her veins, especially if she cut off her braids. Maybe she wouldn’t want to do that because women took such pride in how long their hair was. For sure, she would be a beautiful one day.

“Hi, Miss Jones, my name is Chance Baldwin, Joe tells me that you have been orphaned and don’t have any family?”

“That is true.”

“He suggested that I take you home with me to live with my mother. She is a grand lady and is friendly and she is looked on with favor by everyone who knows her. I would ask you to be my daughter, but I have only been married two weeks and I doubt my wife would approve. You would, however, be living in the same house.”

A small grin appeared on her face. “I understand. Even here the squaws look on me with disfavor.”

I was surprised at her speaking so well. “You have some education?”

“Yes, my father taught me and planned to take me east for the winter to his village where he lived before. He said he loved the Indians, but he wanted me to go with his people. Unfortunately, he died a little while ago. My mother was already dead and I was left without a place to live. I was being bothered and I chose to leave to what I hoped was a safe place for me. Papa Joe, who is a white Indian and with my father were a little more than friends so I asked to be brought here.”

“I’ll see if I can figure something out so you can live down in the valley with someone. We do have several men without mates, but they work for me, my brother, or my friends. You would be under my protection, anyway.”

“Thank you.”

“We’ll be leaving in the middle of the afternoon as we have a distance to travel. I’ll see if Joe won’t get me a horse for you to ride.”

“I can walk or run. I’m very strong.”

“Okay, but only if we can’t provide. Would you like to meet some of the people from the valley? There are three in Halona’s tipi visiting.”

“I was looking out the door and I saw them. The older girl is very pretty.”

“Marion, yes she is, and she is almost seventeen.”

“I am seventeen. If I was all Indian, I would have babies now. My father kept the Indian boys away, but there is no one to do that now.”

“I don’t doubt that. Come, I’ll have you meet them. The younger girl is her sister, Debby, and the boy is her brother, Matt.” Ellie followed me as I headed for Halona’s tipi.

The door opened and the three children filed out followed by Hey Pete. “Marion, I’d like to have you meet Ellie Jones. She is a year older than you and she and her father have been living with the Indians. Ellie, their last name is Taylor. You can see their father splitting shakes for Joe’s cabin roof. The young man working beside him works with me. He and Marion are close friends.”

Marion burst out with “His name is Rod and we are planning on getting married as soon as I can convince my father and mother he would make them a good son-in-law. I think it won’t be long before he is. I’m pretty excited.”

“You are lucky to have a father and mother. Mine are both dead and I don’t have any family at all except Papa Joe who is my grandfather.”

“Oh, I don’t know what I would do if Mom and Dad died. I may leave them because Rod works for Chance and I may soon be with him, but it’s not like they would be dead. Come, say hi to my father and Rod.” Joe and I watched the young people hurry down to where Tim was working. Rod got off his work bench where he had been shaving the ends of the shakes so they would fit together better and lessen the chance of leaking and I saw him being introduced.

“Chance, you kind of slid Ellie into knowing them and didn’t tell them much about her.”

“I didn’t lie did I?”

“No, you just didn’t tell them all you could have.”

“Joe, Ellie will tell them if she thinks the Taylors should know. I am going to tell Rita everything I know.”

“Smart man, Chance. Do you want to ride over to the next line camp now?”

“Yeah, there won’t be time for me to do much work, but I want to see how Sam is coming along. He will be pissed at me.”

“Really?”

“Naw, he likes it when I’m not looking over his shoulder. I’m the same with him.”

With so much help the walls were up, needing a roof the same as the one Tim and Rod were working on. We would be putting up one more camp. This one had the logs done that Rita and I had cut while Ma was in Laramie. These camps were going up really fast. Two more days would see the three completed.

I made the decision that I wouldn’t build anymore camps before next spring. The last one I would locate further up into the hills in case cattle strayed in that direction. I doubted they would this season because there weren’t that much stock and feed was plentiful. Today while here, I worked at cutting blocks to rove for shakes. Thinking we had done enough for today, we picked up the tools and took them with us.

I sent my two men down out of the hills because they were closest to the Barkley ranch from here.

Ron and his man rode back with me to where Tim and Rod were working on the roof of the first camp. The two men who said they would chisel out the notches for the floor had that done and attempted to flatten logs with the adz. They hadn’t done very well but it wouldn’t take long to finish up each log that had been roughed out. I was well pleased. It was time to head for home.

I wanted to talk to John Owen so I was headed down with Sam and his three men and came in behind his ranch. Ron was taking his man and would go down with Tim and his kids.

I assumed Ellie Jones would be riding with me, but Marion approached me. “Chance, my Pa said Ellie could come home with us. Can Rod stay over with us tonight too? I can ride on his horse behind him and Ellie can ride mine.”

“Marion, who is Rod’s boss, me or you?” Marion’s face got really red and then I nodded of course he could.

I looked at Tim when he spoke, “Chance, the new girl said she would help store our vegetables. She can stay with us until we get things set for winter. Maybe by that time she will know more people and can tell us where she wants to stay.”

“Ellie, are you okay with this?”

“Thank you, I am.” Someday I hoped to hear Ellie’s story. She was well educated which amazed me and I wondered if she didn’t have some of her father’s relatives somewhere. I was kind of curious why her father had decided to live with the Indians.

Ellie spoke to Tim, “I do have a few things here of my own and I have a small chest of my father’s things. Next time Papa Joe comes down into the valley, can he bring them to your place? I can only carry a bag with clothes today.”

“Certainly.” Tim turned to me, “Chance, how many more days will you need me?”

“I can get by without you. You won’t have to come again.”

“No, I’ll be here tomorrow. You’ve been such a big help I owe you more than one day.”

“Okay, but if something comes up and you are needed at home, don’t hesitate to take care of it.”

“Thanks Chance, I’m thinking back to when you talked about us in valley going together on shares. I guess I wasn’t in favor of it then, but now if you do I’ll probably go for it.”

“Tim, keeping this informal like we have seems to be working very well. I didn’t know you back when I suggested it. You’re a fine neighbor and willing, so I don’t think we’ll have to have things change from the way we are now. We’ll watch out for each other and that’s all I was looking for.”

I arranged to store all of our tools in the almost finished line camp and we headed down out of the hills. Ron and Tim went one way and I headed for the trail where we would come down onto John Owen’s ranch from the hills. I’d talk to John again about finalizing the purchase of his ranch by me. I wanted to assure John and Naomi again they would always have a home with one of us. I wondered how and what Naomi would need to take with her. I’d ask.


Sam rode beside me as we started out, “Chance, who was that Indian woman that rode off with the Taylors?”

“I don’t really know. I was told she is an orphan and according to Joe is quarter-breed Indian. You wouldn’t know it because she has hazel eyes, has dark brown hair. She also speaks English as well as you and me. Joe asked me to take her home with me for Ma to look after. She even has a white person name ... Ellie Jones.

“I didn’t figure that would go over too well with Rita. If the girl gets out of her Indian clothes and puts on a dress, she’ll be hard to beat for beauty. That’s why Joe didn’t want her staying with him because she would cause the braves to take a close look. The squaws won’t allow that and I agreed, but then I got to thinking Marion is about ready to get Rod into a harness and would be leaving home. Marion has an older brother about ready to take on a woman and she would be just right if they are interested.

“She is looking for a home because she offered to help Tim on the farm. I really think the girl is honest because when I was trying to figure out how I could put her on a horse, she said she was used to walking and running, and she would do that if a horse couldn’t be found. Anyway, Marion came up with the idea that Rod should stay over with the Taylors and she would climb on with him. That left her horse for Ellie.” I grinned, “I imagine Rita and Nancy would be as jealous as the squaws, if either you or I took her into our home.”

“Chance, I’ll have to get a look at her.”

“Better not. I predict she will stir up the valley enough. Where ever she came from, the squaws wanted her gone and when she got to Joe he didn’t want her there to cause trouble either. Her looks won’t let the Indians be comfortable because there is no doubt she is different and she will fit in better with us who look more like her. She does understand and she told me so.”

Naomi and Nancy wanted me to stay for supper, but I declined. I wanted to get home to Rita. The next three days, Sam and I marshaled our crews and soon had all three cabins up with the roofs on. There was one more left to have the floor planked, but the logs were ready to be hewed.

Tim stuck right with me and finished making shakes enough. He even came back the second day when I told him it wasn’t necessary. Rod was with him and I let him go home with Tim. Marion, Ellie and the two youngsters didn’t come because Tim had left chores for all of them at home. I was curious about how Ellie fitted into her new home, but I didn’t ask. I guess okay or something would have been said.

I did talk to John when I had a day I felt I could escape building camps. “Hetty gave me a draft for $35,000 to open my mine. I’ll get the deed changed.” He was talking to Nancy. “You know it was my lucky day when Chance arrived here. I’m also glad to get free of a ranch that I had no right buying. I lost my son and I’m very sad with that because I’m partly to blame. However I’ve gained a lovely wife and step-daughter who loves me and I see my daughter with a fine man. Knowing my son-in-law and his brother makes me believe Texas produces a grade of men that can’t be beat.”

I had to respond. “That may be John, but me and Sam will turn what you say around and give all the credit to our mother. They broke the mold when they made her. Hard to believe she was a Belle of Old Mississippi. She left that way of life for love and built a new life. That life was to make her husband happy and raise sons to be proud of. I don’t know as you can credit Texas with that. So I say again, the credit goes to her.”

“Sam, Chance, I do believe we are in agreement. Oh, Naomi and I plan on leaving in about three days.

“Are you going to take much with you?”

“I guess it will have to be the buckboard. I’m going to see if I can convince one of the hands to drive it.”

“That would be a pretty long, rough ride for you and Naomi. I tell you what, why don’t you hire someone to drive Ma’s coach that she and Nancy arrived in. It has springs on it. Put the driver to work for the winter and you can have him drive it back in the spring. Naomi will want to come back home for the summer season.”

“I’ll talk to her. Do you think it would be okay with Hetty to tie it up over the winter?”

“I’m sure. Hell, she would almost give it to you. We’ve kept it under cover and we really could use the room.”

“Okay, sounds like a plan.” There was some crying between Rita and Naomi, and maybe John had a few tears in his eyes when he climbed into the coach after hugging Nancy. The coach had a horse tied to the boot, because none of our men wanted to spend the winter in a mining town with a bunch of miners. He would deliver the coach and return on a horse. John figured he could find someone in the spring to drive them up if the coach was already at hand.”


I set about making a home for Ma that she could be proud of. We installed walls in the house and two more windows. I hired a building crew from Casper to come do this. While they were working inside, I removed the rough sawn boards from the exterior and used thinner clapboards to replace them. The house wouldn’t be as elegant as the house Ma grew up in near the Mississippi River, but it would be something to be noticed up here in the so called back woods.

Ma treated Rod as if he was a younger brother to me and Sam. “Chance, teach that boy how to handle that pistol he got from Rafe. He’s pretty good with a rifle already, I’ve seen to that. Next time we go to Laramie we’ll get him a rifle of his own. He’s going to have a wife soon and needs to be able to protect her. He might be here when I’m alone and you never know when some raider will come around. Rafe would have wanted that.”

I wondered why Ma mentioned Rafe as often as she did. I’d have to ask sometime. Marion got to the ranch to see Rod as often as she could and Ma let her bundle in her bed while Rod slept in the bunkhouse if she stayed overnight. Rod would go visit the Taylors when he had a free day. Our four riders kidded Rod about having a girl and how he was tied to Marion’s apron strings. They did it in fun but we knew it was envy for Rod’s luck in having a girl. He never shirked his duties and was the most willing in doing what was asked of him.

I always had two riders out seeing to the cattle every day. I was a “hand’s on” boss and treated everyone fairly so I had a happy crew. While two who were out riding, I used the others to make life better on the ranch for all. The Indians and Joe kept track of the cattle that were up in the hills and I only spent one day a week up there checking on them. More often than not Rita rode with me.

The first of November was a big day for me while we were on our weekly trip. We were almost in sight of the Indian encampment and I had remarked how great the cows I had moved up here in the hills looked, “Rita, these cattle look some better than they did when I bought them, wouldn’t you think? They are fat and the cows are going to drop some great caves come late April and early May.”

“Chance, I think they aren’t the only ones who will be dropping something in late May or early June. We’re going to have a baby. I haven’t told Ma yet but she says she can figure out when a baby is due by counting back.”

“That’s great, sweetheart. For a couple of our age me being less than thirty years and you being in your early twenties, we are getting our family started and will have a long life together. We have the means to have a good one too.”

“My thoughts exactly. We can work on our house next summer. I’ll sit and watch you while you build us a home.”


We arrived at the camp. Joe came out when he heard our horses. He came out with a long face. I asked the same question I always did, “How’s the cattle, Joe?”

“They are good, but I’m a little worried. I’ve noticed a few weather signs about this coming winter. The Indians confirm what I’m seeing. I don’t ever remember of them being wrong.”

“Tell me what worries you.”

“Chance, first, let me ask you if you chased these cows back down into the valley, would you have enough grass to feed them?”

“I’d say so. By getting them off John’s ranch when we did and then having the round up when we did gave the grass time to bounce back even more. I’d say we had grass on the two ranches to more than carry them.”

“What would John say about that? You bought half his herd, paying him hide-price and now you find you need to put them back on the grass.”

“John has no say in the valley any longer. The Baldwins bought him out and he just left for Denver for the winter. He needed some money to develop a mine property he still owned. We were able to scrape up enough to get it going and he turned the deed to the ranch over to us. He is damned tickled we could give what he needed. So, you think we should move the cattle down out of these hills? Why?”

“Well, if I’m reading the signs right we’re going to start the winter with it being cold and with a lot of wind. Snow will be about average at first. The cattle will be used to herding up in some of the deepest gullies and coolees up here on the high ground. They don’t move out to feed until the sun gets up ‘til the middle of the day. But the last half of the winter we are going to get blanketed with heavy snow. After a couple of heavy snowfalls, you won’t be able to get the cattle out of the low areas to feed. Cattle can’t wallow through heavy snow at all.”

“So what’s the advantage of having the cattle down in the valley?”

“Guess you didn’t have weather in Texas like we do up here. The wind will blow most of the snow off the flat land, especially if it is cold. When it gets a little warmer the last half of the winter season, the snow won’t be near as deep because the early snow will be blown away. Even it if sticks, the cattle can paw down through it for a little bit of feed because there won’t be the massive drifts. They’ll lose weight, but should make it through the winter.

“You’re going to have to work your crew at keeping your cattle alive. During the cold and windy weather, you should herd them in near the bluff where there is some shelter at night. Then they should be pushed out to feed during the day. But you can’t just leave then there, because they’ll put their tail to the wind and drift so you’ll have to herd them back to shelter. Believe it or not, they’ll get used to the routine and not be too much trouble.

“This is something you’ll have to do all winter because a blizzard may come along in March and you’ve worked your ass off and still have lost your cattle come spring. The Indians can give you about a two day warning about a blizzard coming if one should happen and you’re ready for it.”

“How long since a winter such as this has happened or has it ever happened.”

“Oh, it has happened alright. It has been nine years, I’d say since it was a winter like I’m talking about. That was long before John Owen went into the cattle business so if you hadn’t come along he’d have lost everything, almost guaranteed. You’re doing fine, boy, but you’ll make out.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.