The Baldwins From Texas - Cover

The Baldwins From Texas

Copyright© 2018 by happyhugo

Chapter 3

It was slow getting going in the morning because we had been out so late last night. The bunkhouse had a small room with two bunks in it for the Foreman. I took one and Sam was in the other. Ron took the one next to the door, knowing I wanted my brother with me. When I woke up, I went out and roused up the others. Rod jumped out of bed. I looked around, but was having to wait for someone to tell him what to do. I asked, “Where is Joe? Did he come back with us last night?”

One of the punchers said, “He had one drink with us at the bar right after we got there and then left town. He took two bottles with him saying as he went through the door that he was lonely and wanted to make someone happy. We figure he must be crazy or something.”

“He’s okay then. He’ll show up tomorrow.” I didn’t explain that he was up in the hills with his two squaws. The punchers who had barn chores to do told Rod to come with them. They would hit the cook shack for coffee and then eat breakfast after chores.

Ron, Sam and I headed for the house. Naomi was marshaling Nancy, Mary, and Rita in putting food on the table. Ma had been told to sit and not interfere. She had, but was complaining about it.

John came in and Naomi set a cup of coffee before him at the head of the table. I noticed that she laid her hand on his shoulder as she turned away. Nancy kissed him on the cheek. He spoke good morning to everyone. Ma called him Mr. Owen and was reminded to address him as John. Mary did as well and he said the same to her.

After the dishes were picked up, John stated, “I don’t remember ever having this many people in my house before. I don’t know most of you with the exception of Naomi and Rita. I hardly know my daughter because she was either with her mother or away living with her aunt. I would like to welcome her home at this time and I hope she stays here with me.”

“I am planning on staying here with you. We have been apart too much.”

“Good, that makes me happy. Moving on, I hired Chance Baldwin to manage the ranch here. He believes he can save the cattle he purchased from me as well as my own. To be fair we have decided not to split up the herd and own the cattle together. That is until he manages to build some ranch headquarters up in the hills. I like his plan and he has convinced me that it is possible. We will know by springtime.

“Chance’s family arrived last evening and basically saved both our lives when we were faced by a couple of gunmen. Again I want to thank Chance for coming to my rescue without thought of how much danger he was in himself. That shows me the measure of the man. Now I would like to ask Sam and Miz Hetty Baldwin about their plans for the future?”

Ma answered, “Sam and I sold out down in Texas and knew Chance had gone north to Wyoming. He left word in Laramie for us of where he was headed. That is where we bought a coach and came up here to find him. Nancy heard me dickering for the coach and asked if she could ride with us. As long as we were traveling in the same direction, I agreed.

“I’d say we arrived just at the right moment. I don’t know how Chance feels about his Ma and brother dropping in on him like this, but we’re family. My intention now that I have found him is to help him build up a ranch of which he can be proud. I amend that, that we all can be proud of what he builds.”

“Thanks, Ma, we’ll do it together. Ma, you’ve met Mary Pickwell. This is her husband Ron here by my side. He is my friend back to my army days. His small ranch also sits where it can protect one of the flanks of the ranch I want to build. The Owen ranch pretty much protects the rest of it except for the mountains to the West. They provide a natural barrier in that direction.”

John broke in, “Barkley has access to some of the uplands. He was talking to me yesterday about pushing some cattle up there. You will have to watch him. You know last night he was carrying a gun when I was faced with Portman and he backed off and left me to face the trouble alone. I don’t feel I owe him anything even though he is a ranch owner like me.”

Sam asked, “How big is this Barkley’s ranch?”

“Not as big as this one. It has been better managed though. Chance, how serious is your plan for the future? What I mean is do you have expansion dreams as soon as you get your ranch built? Ron and you are great friends so should I worry about you crowding me out?”

Ron answered this, “I don’t have any plans on getting bigger. I’ve heard about a machine that will cut hay. I grew up on a farm and the land here is good to grow hay. I plan on looking into the possibility of owning such a machine. They say it will cut as much hay in a day as ten men can cut. I’ll run a few cattle, but I want to be more of a farmer than a cattleman. I might breed a few horses. There is always a sale for them.”

“John, there is more land in the hills than I will ever need. I think though, it would be me who should worry about you. That is if you should develop empire dreams of your own now that you are aware of what the range is like up in the hills.”

“No worry there. I don’t even know if I want to continue ranching. I don’t want to be crowded off the land, that’s all. Here is Nancy who has just arrived. If she wants to live here, so I’ll want to keep the ranch.”

“I just got here Daddy. I don’t know what I want yet.”

“Fine, Sweetheart. We are just talking. Rita can show you what life on a ranch is all about. Who knows, you may want to be a cowhand like her. She has been working as one for the last few weeks since your brother got himself killed. That sad part is all behind me I hope, and I just want to remember him like he was when he was a little shaver. We all got along so well back then.”

“I remember Daddy, but that was before you kept leaving to tend your mining interests.”

“Well, your grandfather left the mines to me and they did have to be looked after. I’m about out of that now even if it is about all I know. This ranch is my only property except for a stray piece of land here and there.” He was looking at Naomi and then I could see he was going to say something. “Nancy, I know this may be difficult to imagine, but I find that Naomi Drucker and I are attracted to each other. Your mother is gone from my life and I still miss her very much. However, I still am relatively young and at not quite fifty years.

“My biggest mistake was to send Junior to live here. Naomi had overseen the ranch for me until he arrived even though it wasn’t what she was hired for. She didn’t feel as if she should report on Junior’s activities because he was my son. The ranch went to hell and in retrospect I should have kept closer watch on him myself and he might still be alive today. Getting beyond all of that and what I’m trying to say is, I have asked Naomi to be my wife.”

“Daddy, I have only just met Naomi. She is much different than mother, but that is only because she has had a different life living on a ranch while mother lived in town. So far I find her very agreeable. If she will make you happy then that will make me happy. Besides that, it will give me a sister in Rita to replace Junior. I’m positive I will get along with her better than I ever did with him.”

“Fine then, Naomi and I will make plans to wed. At this time I would like to again thank Mrs. Baldwin and her son Sam, for saving my life last night. Yes, and for saving Chance’s life as well. I find this family from Texas is one who you can depend on stepping up when trouble rears its ugly head. I invite Mrs. Baldwin and Sam to live here until they are situated in a home of their own.”

“Thank you, Mr. Owen. We hope it won’t be long we will impose on your hospitality.” While this exchange was taking place I was thinking that Junior wasn’t loved by either his father or his sister. Whether he had been loved by his mother, I couldn’t say. His life was all too short. It was unfortunate that it happened and this seemed like more of a waste and there wasn’t even a war to blame it on, either.

It was time now for Ma, Sam, and me to have a sit down to plan what was in our future. I had pretty much set my mind on building a ranch up in the hills. I had hitched myself to the Owen wagon for the time being. I had planned this before I had any idea Ma and Sam would show up here. I was glad they were here, but did I need their help in what I had set out for myself?

It was late morning when I collected them and we walked out and sat down in the shade under a tree. “Ma, tell me how come you are up here in Wyoming?”

“Well, Chance pretty simple. The Witherspoons and Sam came back from the trail drive telling everyone they had been robbed. The Witherspoons had lost a whole year of income and I think they were short of money. Sam and I did as well as far as the Witherspoons knew. Marcy was crushed. I think she looked to have her family take over the Baldwin spread from Sam and make them rich with the two ranches together.

“It was only a month ago that a distinguished man came to our door asking after Marcy. He gave his name to me when I answered the door. Marcy wouldn’t come out to meet him. He bowed to me and left. Marcy wouldn’t tell me anything about the man at all but she certainly was concerned about him being there. She was acting very worried and I soon found out why. It was later in the day that the man was back and we learned he was a Pinkerton agent with a warrant for her arrest.

“Sam got a little belligerent with him, but when he found out what she was charged with he backed off. The charge was bigamy and thievery. Marcy was taken away and Sam didn’t know where she was. We found out later that she was being held at the Witherspoon ranch. Three days later Marcy’s real husband came and asked to talk with us. He was friendly and impressed with the Witherspoon ranch that had been bought with money stolen from him by Marcy.

“He knew that Sam could destroy any credibility that remained of Marcy’s reputation if we remained in the area. He asked if we would sell our ranch for cash and leave. He was even more impressed with our ranch where Marcy now called home.”

I asked, “You mean, he took her back? I wouldn’t have. You let her go just like that Sam? This is a crazy story.”

“I know, but Chance, by this time I was glad to get rid of Marcy. She was a bitch. I was trying to remember what I had seen in her. I would have given my share of the ranch just to get out of the marriage. When Marcy’s husband made a liberal offer for the ranch and everything on it, I urged Ma to take it.”

“So Marcy and her husband are back together. What kind of story are they giving out to cover her being married to you?”

“A simple one, really. She claims she thought he was killed in the war and she thought she was a widow. That made her free to marry again. Holes could be found in the fabrication, but who would look that close? I’m thankful I’m out of it. Ma did well when she set the price and got way more than it was worth. We did have to leave almost immediately, though. That was stipulated. We gathered a few keepsakes and our clothes and a week later we headed for Wyoming.”

“So what are you going to do now that you are up here?”

“Find us a close-by spread near you and go to ranching.”

“Ma, I’m glad that is your plan. Let me talk to John. Maybe he can help you find a suitable ranch you can buy. How much money do you have to play with?”

“That’s a “we” we are talking about. A third of the money belongs to you.”

“Okay, but for the time being it is yours to use to find a place to settle.” I looked toward the house as I heard the door slam. Rita and Nancy were headed our way.

Rita spoke to me as she came up to us, “Chance, Nancy wants to see where you are building your ranch. Can we ride up there tomorrow?”

“Sure. I believe Joe will be in tonight. He’ll go with us. I want Ma and Sam to see what I have in mind for a ranch so we’ll all ride up there together.”

“Fine. Nancy and I are going to ride home with Ron and Mary this afternoon. Do you want to go with us?”

“No, I have some things to do here and I need to talk to John. Sam would be happy to ride with you, though.” I said this because I knew Sam had eyes for Nancy.”

Rita looked peeved. “Can’t you forget the ranch for a little while? Look at last night when you were supposed to be having fun. I know you saved John’s bacon, but so didn’t others too. Can’t you relax and enjoy life for just this afternoon?”

“All right, I guess I could. Where is John? I’ll talk to him now.” Sam and Ma were smiling, but I didn’t care. They could see I was being wrapped around Rita’s finger. Ma wanted me settled down and the thought crossed my mind that Sam didn’t want me to notice Nancy. I headed for the house to find John.

I asked Naomi where John was and she said he was doing books at his desk in the other room. “John, do you have a few minutes?”

“Sure, Chance. What’s up?”

“I’d like to ask if you would sell us this ranch? Ma and Sam sold out in Texas and have a little money to buy a place.”

“I had a feeling you might ask. I have given it some thought, but I don’t see where I can. I’ll tell you why. My daughter, Nancy, wants to make her home here which surprises me to no end. Naomi has promised to be my wife and she doesn’t want to leave permanently. We will be in Denver for the winter and will be returning early in the spring. I’ve decided to stay myself, making a home for Naomi. Rita will continue to live here. Your folks can stay as long as they want to if that is what concerns you.”

“No, that doesn’t bother me. Let me ask you about Barkley and his ranch. Do you think he would sell? The Baldwins have always owned property and I know Ma wants a place she can call her own. I haven’t seen his outfit but it would get Ma settled. What I’m building in the hills probably won’t have a road into it until next year sometime. It would be nice if she was close enough to where we all could get together on occasion.”

“I hadn’t thought of that. Barkley might sell. He is high up in the stockman’s association and is a paid member for his duties. He has to spend a lot of time off the ranch tending to that business. Do you want me to sound him out?”

“I would appreciate it if you would.”

“Do you want to ride over there this afternoon?”

“I can’t. I’m riding with Nancy and Rita over to the Pickwells.”

“Is your brother going with you?”

“Yeah.”

John laughed out loud. “I’ll bet it was Nancy who asked him and I’ll bet it was Rita who asked you.”

I smiled. “Women do get notional, don’t they?”

“They do. I can’t think I have objections, either.” John waved his hand for me to go as he was busy with his figures. I thought about our conversation as I left the house. It seemed as if John was okay that Nancy thought well of Sam. Was it okay because Sam had saved his life or was it because he thought Sam was a suitable mate for Nancy?

I was pleased that I had John’s approval in what he saw between Rita and me. It wouldn’t have concerned me too much if he had disapproved. Rita and were destined to have a life together. I knew it and I felt she did as well. We would go slow and let our relationship run its natural course. I could ask for no more.

It was eleven in the morning. Mary said, “We had a late breakfast and it is only an hour’s ride. We’ll go along and I’ll make you dinner after we get there. Please, I feel as if I have been away from home too long.” We saddled up.

About the time we crossed onto the Pickwell range, we could see a horse coming up fast behind us. It was Joe Arcand coming back from visiting his squaw. He was puzzled when he came up to us. He had never seen Sam or Nancy before and we then eased down to a walk so I could tell him about all the excitement of last night. “Damn, Chance, I left town thinking everyone would be having a good time and I wouldn’t have to mother-hen you chicks.” Everyone laughed.

As we rode along, Joe motioned with his head that he wanted to say something to me. I pulled away from the rest and when we were far enough away where they couldn’t hear he said, “I saw some riders up in the section back of the Barkley ranch. I wonder if he is planning on pushing some cattle up there. I watched them and when they came to a spot that had some feed, they all would stop and look at it.”

“Did they see you?”

“Nope. I was on my jenny. Thankfully she didn’t bray.”

“All right, John was going over there today to see if Barkley would sell out. Ma and Sam are looking for a ranch and they got money. Tomorrow I guess we better push some of those cows we just chased up there over into that area. That way we can claim it.”

“Those cows’ll get sick of moving all the time. You might have some trouble getting them going again.”

“Can’t be helped. I’m planning on ranching up there and I ain’t letting anybody else run cattle in those hills.”

“He might fight you over it.”

“I’ll deal with that when if it comes.” We went along to the Pickwells. I did fill Ron in on what Joe had told me. We didn’t stay long for I was curious to hear if John had found out if Barkley would sell. We did ride around Ron’s spread and I could see where he could cut a lot of hay if he did buy some haying equipment like he said he might. Sam, Nancy, Rita and me moved right along and we were home for supper, although it was late.

John said as we came in, “I saw Barkley. We have to talk after we eat.” I shrugged okay, and didn’t press for any more information. When we finally got to sit down alone, he got to it. “Barkley was just coming down from the hills when I got there. He told me he thought he might run some cattle up there. He could double his herd if he did. I informed him the land was already taken.

“We had quite an argument over it, him saying that you didn’t have enough cattle to claim the land. I said all the cattle still had my brand on them and I had more than enough cows to lay claim to the land. We went round and around. I mentioned to him about me asking him to side me against those gun slicks last night who braced me. I said I was damned disappointed he wouldn’t stand by me. He was armed at the time and I wasn’t.

“I told him we had been neighbors and he should have stood by me. I laid it on him I would be dead if help hadn’t come from a different quarter. That’s when I said I wanted to buy him out. I didn’t think he was going to answer me for a bit, but then he said he would dicker and give him a day to come up with a price. I’m going back tomorrow. I didn’t mention you or your family, but I want you with me when I talk to him.

“You are all gun handy and I want to be talking from a position of strength. Do you think Miz Hetty would ride over there when we dicker? It won’t do any harm for him to see her, knowing it was her that saved my butt. Let him know that a woman did something that he should have been up to doing for a friend and neighbor.”

“She’ll want to be with you ... Sam too, for that matter. They’ll both want to see what the land and buildings are.”

“Good we’ll head out first thing in the morning. We’ll take a couple of the hands with us.”

“We’ll take that new kid to hold the horses. I’m impressed with him. I think he is going to make us a good hand.”

“He did saddle my horse for me without asking when I got ready to leave today. What’s his name again?”

“Rod Granger. Keep your eye on him. I promised him a hands wages as soon as he could do the work. I don’t think it will be long either.”

“Chance, should I be looking for a new manager for the ranch? I think you are doing a great job and I have full confidence in the way you have sorted out my problems. How long are you staying on?”

“I’m set for the winter here. I am going to take all the hands and use them to build three or four line shacks up in the hills. I’m thinking I’ll put Indians in them to keep track of the cattle. Joe said they all would go for it. He’ll be up there with them and I can make a round of them once a week. That way I won’t need to hire more hands before spring. What do you think?”

“That sounds like a good plan. I wouldn’t have thought of it. What about the home place here? How are you going to handle that?”

“We’ll leave the steers spread out to get all the feed they can. When cold weather hits, we’ll bunch them up and move them around the ranch as they gnaw it down. That will still relieve us of having to hire on more hands for the winter.” If you can convince Barkley to sell out to Ma and Sam, we can use the punchers he normally lets go for the winter.”

“You mean the ranch cuts down on hands during the winter? That has never been done here the last two winters.”

“Well, that’s poor management. All for the hands to do in winter is to keep the cattle herded close and keep the waterholes free of ice. We’ve got enough men for that. You lost three hands during the Pickwell fight and two more quit. We are about where we should be. ‘Course the cattle are more spread out this year, but Joe and the Indians will take up the slack. On a different note and not really my business, but how have you managed to make the place pay?”

“To tell the truth, I have lost money for the last three years. Portman told me that if we didn’t sell any cattle last year we would double it when we did sell this year or next spring. Now I see I would have lost everything if he hadn’t got himself killed. What was his reasoning?”

“I have no idea, but he probably would have blamed Ron Pickwell for your cattle being so poor. He would have said he was protecting you by killing off your neighbor if he had succeeded. A crook can always twist the facts around to save his ass. If you got onto him, he would just pick up and disappear and would be satisfied he had an easy life without much effort for a couple of years. This would be my guess anyway.”

“Makes sense. Let’s talk about you. You’ve bought half my herd. There was no profit in it for me, but it cut my losses. You have laid out a plan where I might have a little in the remainder of what cattle I have left. I’d like to sign you on permanently. Another question, what about your brother, Sam? Is he a good cattleman?”

“He is. He wasn’t much more than a kid when I went off to fight. With Ma, they handled the home ranch while I was gone. I let him manage things the same way when I got home and he showed a profit every year until I left to come up here. Why do you ask?”

“I just wondered if he would be a better neighbor than Barkley if he buys the ranch.”

“Don’t forget I’ll own a third of the ranch if it is bought by us. Ma owns the other third. She is a good manager herself. She listens to both Sam and me when we have a decision to make. She makes the final determination with our input, but she is usually right.”

“You’re going to have considerable holdings with the land in the hills you claim plus the third of the Barkley ranch you own, I’d say.”

“It would look that way, but remember I’m also managing your ranch. It will be an asset for you, if we can move the cattle around where the feed is the best for all the cattle.”

“And how would that work?”

“Okay, let me give you the basics on raising cattle. Please don’t take this wrong, but I don’t think you know much about cattle even though you have been doing it for a few years. First, it takes three and sometimes four years to grow the steers big enough for market. If they have the best feed the last year before you sell them, you will get the best price for them because they are fat.

“The heifers you raise will either be for you to increase your herd size or to sell to another rancher to increase his herd. They need feed enough to grow, but no need to have them fat. You don’t need them heavy because that would be a waste of feed. Your brood cows, after they get big enough to breed, they need just enough feed to maintain their health and to stay that way so they can drop healthy calves.

“A rancher needs two things. He needs adequate feed and water for his cattle and he needs good bulls to service them. Your cattle are pretty gaunt from lack of feed, but you must have some good bulls ‘cause I haven’t seen what I could call scrubs in your herd. You should always look for the chance to improve your beef so always be on the hunt to buy a better bull when you can.”

“I don’t know much do I? I’ve been ranching for a few years and never learned anything. I was a good mine owner and never should have gone into cattle.”

“Coming from a mining background as you have, it isn’t surprising, but you can learn. Look, I bought half your herd and I think we have tallied them all. If Ma can buy the Barkley herd as well as his ranch, we’ll tally those exactly. I know we’ll have to pay more for them as they are in better shape than those I bought from you. All in all we are in pretty good shape to have a couple of good ranches in this area.”

“Chance, mines are often run on shares. Would one huge ranch incorporating the one I own, yours in the hills, and the Barkley ranch all put together be more efficient and therefore more profitable?”

“It might. That is something we could explore after all the pieces are in place.”

“Fair enough. I’ll give it some thought. You talk to your Ma and brother tonight and we’ll ride out in the morning.”


There were nine of us when we pulled into the Barkley yard at eight-thirty the next morning. The house was wasn’t overly large and it was stark building and nothing notable about it. It was a typical man’s abode with never a woman’s touch. The hitch rack was right before the porch. The house must be without much light inside, for there were only three windows for the near side and one end.

The siding was of rough-cut boards from logs sawn through and through. The bottom edge of the second board edge lapped over the top of the first one and this continued up the wall. It looked like they had been nailed sufficiently to keep them from warping. The roof had shakes on it and they looked good. The whole building looked tight against the weather. Barkley was sitting on the porch when John and I stepped off our mounts.

Nancy, Rita, and Ma were in the rear of our little caravan. I stood with one foot up on the porch leaning against a post while John talked. Barkley spoke, “John, I been thinking. I have decided I’m not selling. Sorry you had to ride over here to find it out.”

John’s face got red and he was about to explode when I heard a horse come up behind me. I glanced up and saw it was Ma. “Hello Rafe. I wondered where you got to, you being chased out of Texas leaving sudden like with Pa not far behind. You got a nice spread here. Nice bunch of cattle out there on the range too. Do they all belong to you?”

“They do, Miz Hetty. They came with the ranch when I bought.” Barkley was looking worried. I realized Ma knew him and something bothered him mightily.

Barkley looked first at Ma and then at John. He did this a couple of times and then faced John. “You know, John, I think maybe I’ll sell after all. I got a figure in mind, but maybe you could make me an offer.”

“No, you give me a price for the spread and for the cattle on it. Miz Baldwin is actually the one buying. You act like you know her. Whatever she says is fair will be what we will agree to.”

Barkley named a figure. I was surprised at how reasonable it was and thought it real fair. John did too and we looked to Ma to see what her reaction was. “That’s a good price, Rafe, but I think if you lowered it by about twenty-five head of ready to market steers at twelve dollars a head would be better. That would be about three hundred dollars with my figuring.”

He didn’t like it, but I picked up on the fact that Ma had something on Barkley. “Jesus, Miz Hetty that’s pretty steep.”

“May be, but it makes sure I don’t tell anyone where or when I knew you before.”

Barkley stared a Ma for a minute without saying anything. Then, “Okay, Miz Hetty, you got yourself a ranch. I’ll get the deed. Come in, I made a pot of coffee knowing John was coming this morning. Miz Hetty, Chance is your boy, I take it. Christ there has been more killing around here in the last few weeks, so I guess I’m not surprised.

“It all started when he showed up. I heard there was a couple men killed in town a couple of nights ago. Did he have a hand in that? I was there when it started, but I had to leave and couldn’t stick around. I heard it came out alright for John.”

“Yeah, I heard you had to leave. John told me. Both John and Chance were in a tight spot, but we got it resolved. I’m still handy with a rifle and my boy Sam is about as good as they come with a shooting iron. Almost as good a Chance, anyway.”

“Oh, my God you were in that mix-up?”

“Yeah. Where are you heading for now that you are selling out here?”

“Don’t know yet. I guess I’ll just head my horse somewhere and see where it leads me. Give me a week to get my stuff out of here and then I’m gone for good. I thought I was somewhere you were never going to be, but here you are. Thanks for buying me out.”

“Sure. A little advice Rafe, stay honest.”

“I guess I had better.”

The house was as rough inside as it was outside and Ma wanted nice. She wanted it as women friendly as Naomi had in the Owen headquarters. There was time enough before winter to build a couple of extra rooms on the south end if we could find a carpenter.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.