The Falling Oak - Learning How to Die - Cover

The Falling Oak - Learning How to Die

Copyright© 2018 by Darian Wolfe

Chapter 43: Boy in the Bubble

April 14, 2019

Hello Everyone,

Today was much more interesting than I intended it to be. My family went to a Renaissance Fair and I promptly locked my keys in the car. I was distracted as my wife and I were discussing the legality of where I was parking. So as they went and enjoyed the fair I was attempting to get into my car. First, I called my insurance company as I have a road side assistance policy. No dice, as they reimburse you later and I had eleven dollars in my pocket.

Next, I flagged down a police officer. They quit doing that about ten years ago I was told, but they would call me a wrecker. Next idea I went into the fair and started looking at the clothing vendors as one of them would have to have a metal clothes hanger. Fuck no, all were using plastic or wood. I did find one of those little red flags that surveyors and others use.

I took it back to my car and began to jimmy my lock. It just wasn’t quite long enough with the bends I had to put in it. I noticed the temperature was rising. I was starting to overheat and second guessing myself. I started to panic and caught myself. I forced myself to sit down for a few minutes and meditate and evaluate my situation. My only real solution is to get into the car because there is a/c. I would prefer not to bust a window, but I will if I get much sicker. I remembered that my wife often carries a multi-tool. So I called and asked if she had it. If she did I could make more precise bends in my piece of wire and be able to jimmy the door. She said she didn’t but her mom had shown up and had a tool box in her trunk and we could use those.

A moment later, my wife called and she said they found some Fire Dept. men and they were on the way to help me. A few minutes later, they and my family showed up. My wife shoved a quart of root beer into my hand and I drank about half of it in one go. The firemen asked if I needed medical aid. I told them if you can open my car so I can get to the a/c I’ll be fine. They had it open in less then 5 minutes. I jumped in and cooled off. I was so drained I just stayed in my car while my family finished up at the fair. My wife told me later I didn’t sound so good on so when they saw the firemen they went to them for help

We stopped to eat on the way home. As we were driving home, I told my wife this is why I’ve been upset the last few days. It’s getting warmer and I’m scared. If we’re driving somewhere and the car a/c gives out. I’m dead. I know it’s hard to imagine so think of it like this: You’re colonizing a planet. Terra-forming has just begun. It will be twenty years or so until it is habitable. Until then, if you are outside for more than 15 or so minutes at any one time without your space suit you will die. Not might, not maybe, your fellow colonizers will come out in their space suits and get your dead ass and bury it. If it’s over a certain temperature and I’m outside. I’m the dead ass colonizer.

See we had plans. We knew there would be shade and cold drinks available and if worse came to worse I could take my happy ass to the car and get in the a/c. It was only 72 degrees. Easy peasy. Right? Then your favorite dumb ass locks the keys in the car and whats right under his keys in the cup holder? His drink of course. At one point, as I was evaluating my situation I contemplated praying. I had went as far as I could with the tools the environment had provided short of breaking and entering. Not that I wouldn’t if I was desperate enough, but I could still break my own window so no need for the other. I laughed at myself.

I laughed because I have no faith. Even if I did, I’ve already told YHVH to fuck off and die until he personally asks my forgiveness for the Night Of Hell. That leaves me with the Gods and Goddesses of my ancestors before the Nailed King arrived. They were considered members of the family and I admit to having a warm spot for them in my heart. At my Ancestral Hearth I specifically acknowledge Freyja, Sunna, and Hel, as well as Odin in his aspect of wanderer. If asked directly, for lack of a better word I will say I am a devotee of Sunna, Goddess of the Sun and I hold the Black Sun as a symbol sacred to her. I won’t wear one as none of the ones I’ve ever seen get it right. I do wear a tattoo of her rune Sowilo as well as Fehu for Freyja. Funny thing is they can’t unlock car doors either.

So I finally got home and got back in my little dark room. Geez, I think I’ve played this game before. It’s going to be a LOOOOOOOONG summer.

Cheers,

Darian

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.