The Falling Oak - Learning How to Die - Cover

The Falling Oak - Learning How to Die

Copyright© 2018 by Darian Wolfe

Chapter 42: Changing Meds

Ahh, the joys of changes in medication. Most of my medication revolves around migraines and is also used to treat seizures, anxiety and other brain activities, When dosages or medications are changed it is a certainty I am not going to sleep much if any the first night. Usually, there is also a quick visit for a day or so to La-la land as I adjust. I then wait two weeks or so as the deeper cycles of my brain chemistry adjust and determine if the change is good or bad. A couple of weeks ago, my meds were adjusted. The results.

I’m still not sweating though I seem to get a little dampness here and there but no sweat. I’ve already almost accidentally cooked myself once, due to the temp rising so slowly that I didn’t notice until I realized I was fairly light headed and had chest pressure. The room temp was 84. I took off my shirt and turn on the a/c unit I have in my room and parked myself in front of a fan.

I was focused on my writing and not watching my environment. Where I live temps can vary a lot from one day to the next. I had to run through my little drill of different ways of cooling off in an emergency at home or out and about. It’s a drag. Imagine, it’s 85 degrees and you’re in a traffic jam on a bridge and the car A/C goes out. You are a 50+ year old fat man. Are you willing to dive into the river under the bridge when you’re not sure how deep the water is? Rivers tend to be shallow here. You won’t live long enough to walk off the bridge. Are you willing to punch a good Samaritan who’s trying to keep you from “suicide” because they don’t understand that if you don’t cool off immediately you will die? Life can be interesting, can’t it.

You’re kidding right? Not by much. I almost took a swim the first time I got caught outside without adequate preparation. This was before I knew I didn’t sweat. I was be-bopping along and was suddenly on my knees. I didn’t turn red or nothing, no clammy skin. Just on my knees. Luckily, my daughter had some cold water and was able to get me into some shade and got some ice until I could get myself to a vehicle. On a side note, to cool someone pack ice around their head, feet, and hands. On the head focus on the back of the neck if it can be done without risk of injury or aggravating a possible neck or spinal injury. All the controls for breathing and other involuntary, necessary functions are back there.

As far as writing goes, even with my injured finger I’ve been kicking ass. We’re up to 13,552 words in the screenplay version and transitioning into scene 20/30 so we’re getting there. Some of these scenes have been difficult to write as they are meant to pack a punch. If I didn’t feel punched after writing it then I rewrote it over and over again until I did. I’ve been working on one segment for about three days. About fours hours worth just today. A problem with writing fiction is keeping it for real real even in the most unusual circumstances. How would a living human being of X age, X culture, X upbringing, X traits, act in this situation with warts and all.

On one hand you want to be all “He’s The HE MAN of all he men” and on the other You want him to beyond man. The one who can solve any problem life throws at him before he gets out of bed in the morning. If you take away all the circumstances and all the fancy toys, maserati’s and money. What’s left? The person. If he/she/it isn’t interesting then you have a well written guide book to some fantasy locations.

It’s hard writing a person with emotional depth, at least for me. If I want them to feel it then I have to feel it then I have to put it in words so YOU feel it. When you do that. You’re a storyteller. Well, I’m cooking Meatloaf tonight. So I need to scat.

Cheers,

Darian

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.