The Falling Oak - Learning How to Die
Chapter 19: The Terror of Transformation

Copyright© 2018 by Darian Wolfe

Nov .13th 2018

I began studying sign language last night. As I’ve mentioned, I am left mute from time to time, sometimes for up to 22 hours. If the battery dies on my phone and I am caught without pencil and paper I’m S.O.L. I already know a little sign that I learned when I was in my twenties. A friend’s son was deaf. I’ve discovered that signing while driving stick is a bitch. I don’t recommend it.

The last few months as you know by read The Oak I’ve been remembering and re-evaluating my past. I’m still doing so. In a sense I can say I’m being driven to do it or rather it’s happening and I can either embrace it or fight it. Something like this happened to me in my mid twenties and I fought it and it nearly killed me. You can see part of it reflected in “The Freya Cycle” I was fundamentally changing as a person and I didn’t like it. I fought it because I was scared of becoming something unknown. I’m a stubborn bastard. I fought until I went borderline insane in the clinical sense of the word. Now, It’s happening again.

It’s funny when you look at the past you notice things you’ve never seen before. I realized this week that I had never spent the night at my father’s mother’s home or at any member of his side of the family’s house. Once I had moved to the South that can be looked over, but before then? I realized yesterday I had never even been in most of her house. I had been on the front porch, living room, bathroom, and kitchen. She wasn’t rich these were coal miners. My sister and I just weren’t welcome.

My maternal grandmothers house I knew every nook and cranny of. I could tell you what was in most drawers and closets except granny’s bedroom dresser and closet because there were guns in there. The point is I never noticed these things until this week.

Why do I bring this up? It’s part of the underlying process I’ve been going through. My illness has put me into a crash course. I’ve been sad the last few days. I don’t feel productive. I’ve been working about 10 hours a week. I did put in a full 8 yesterday. I hear people talking about their dreams and goals for the future and I can’t afford the pain of having any.

When I wrote about being overwhelmed in the bank two chapters ago I didn’t mention that I was having full blown for lack of a better word dementia like symptoms. I knew why we were there but didn’t understand what was going on. I was arguing about what papers go into what envelope and other silly behaviour. At one point my wife laid her head down on the desk. I was an overgrown 5 year old. I knew what was going on and I couldn’t stop it. It was that day my wife said I could use CBD no matter what the doctors say. I still had some and it helps keep that shit in check.

Why didn’t I mention it when I wrote about it then? It’s humiliating. Every time it happens it brings me one step closer to the nursing home. Thinking about it scares me. If I don’t write about it I don’t have to think about it. At the same time, I told you guys I would keep it real. So here it is.

Thinking back, I saw this life stage change coming even before my illness. Right after my granddaughter was born I was wondering what next. I had met my life goal. I was satisfied. I had done what I had set out to do in life. Now, I felt adrift. About a month or so later I was laying in bed half a sleep when an image came into my mind. It was of an egg shaped cell with a Fibonacci symbol inside of it plunging into an endless calm black ocean in the night. It didn’t make a single ripple. I understood.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.