A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami
Chapter 48: Coda

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

April 19, 1996, Chicago, Illinois

“An interesting strategy,” I said.

“If you think about it, it makes sense. If I show up at a law firm with, and I’m not implying anything specific by this, five or ten years of experience, I’ll be able to negotiate a partnership, rather than have to start as a glorified law clerk. And it’s especially hard for women to become partners in law firms.”

“It depends on the firm, but generally, I’ll agree with you. Things are changing, but not quickly enough to suit me.”

“You seem to have solved that problem here,” Deborah observed.

“We never had it. Elyse, Julia, and Cindi were three of four friends who helped me start the firm. The other one was Dave. Our first hire was a female programmer. And it wasn’t because I had some burning guilt about the treatment of women or any BS like that. They were people I knew and trusted, and who were friends. And we’ve made sure we do our best to keep our applicant pool as diverse as possible, then select the best candidates. Are YOU the best candidate?”

Deborah Rice was a 3L from Kent College of Law, which was affiliated with IIT. She’d clerked for Allen & Baker, which gave her a leg up, but she’d also clerked for Hart-Lincoln, which I was sure wasn’t helping her job search. Most of those partners had taken some form of plea bargain, and most had surrendered their law licenses rather than go to jail. A few were fighting the government tooth and nail.

“The best who’ll consider an offer from a medium-sized, privately-held, family-run firm where they’ll mostly do routine work!”

“Point taken,” I grinned. “And you think this is the kind of firm you’d want to work for?”

“My research tells me you’re open-minded and forward-thinking. Your reputation in the legal community is stellar, and you’re known for your progressive policies.”

I chuckled, “Bite your tongue! I’m about as libertarian as they come!”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply your politics were left-wing, though I don’t see that as the issue you might! I suspect we agree on some things, and disagree on others. But isn’t that part of the point?”

“Yes, of course!”

“And you aren’t averse to going against culture, given what I discovered about your unique family arrangements.”

I chuckled, “You HAVE done your homework. Or people at Allen & Baker talk too much!”

“I asked around. Nobody volunteered information.”

“Doing your homework is a good thing! On that note, what was your favorite class in law school?”

“Evidence. It was a really fun class, and I enjoyed learning the different ways to get evidence into a trial when you might not be able to introduce it directly.”

“So you enjoy being a sneaky so-and-so?” I grinned.

“I do. And believe it or not, I actually enjoyed my elective on being a general counsel.”

“The fact that you called out that elective in your cover letter was key to you getting this interview.”

“As my professors reminded us, when writing, ‘know your audience’ is the key to successful writing.”

“How did you do in your ‘civil procedure’ class?”

“A solid B. I got an A in contracts.”

“Which you pointed out in your cover letter as well! And you mentioned your A in legal writing. But I’m much more concerned about your ability to write prose than I am your ability to write pleadings. Frankly, if you have to write a pleading, you probably haven’t been doing your job.”

“You settle lawsuits?”

“I have, when appropriate. But I’m reluctant to pay off frivolous claims. We have an arbitration clause in our contracts, which so far we haven’t had to exercise.”

“What were the suits?”

“One billing dispute which was trumped up, but I paid it off to save myself the time and hassle of fighting to the US Supreme Court, which this company would have done.”

“There has to be a story there.”

“One of the partners was related to a lawyer nemesis of mine who spent ten years of his career losing cases against me.”

“What happened to him?”

“One to the forehead, one to the chest, in San Antonio.”

“You’re joking?”

“It turns out he was part of the corruption here in Chicago and tried to leave. Someone objected. Strenuously. I had means, motive, opportunity, AND an ironclad alibi.”

“You’re not exactly doing a good job selling, Mr. Adams.”

I chuckled, “It was in all the papers, so it’s not as if I could hide it. The other settlements were instances of threatened sexual harassment suits. Both completely devoid of truth, but the bad PR of public claims wasn’t worth it. I settled based on Jamie Ferguson’s recommendation.”

“He’s at Allen & Baker, right?”

“Yes. He successfully defended a raft of suits from a pair of competitors. One ended with us owning the company that sued us. The other ended when we trounced the plaintiff in court.”

“So, this COULD be interesting.”

“I sure as hell hope not!” I chuckled. “But yes.”

“I’d like the position, Mr. Adams. When do I start?”

“Aggressive, too!” I grinned.

“You can’t get what you don’t ask for! The first rule in negotiations!”

“True. I need you to speak to a few more people before I make a decision. Let me get Kimmy. She’s my Executive Assistant and is the person who REALLY runs the company!”

“I’m not sure I buy that.”

“Why? I delegate to her something like 80% of all CEO-related stuff. I don’t want to do it. I’m a programmer and want to stick to it as much as possible. Unfortunately, not much is possible. Well not for another 625 days, fifteen hours, eight minutes, and,” I checked my watch, “thirty-seven seconds.”

Deborah laughed, “What happens then?”

“January 2nd, 1998, my sister takes over as CEO and I go back to being a programmer. She worked for Arthur Andersen and now she’s working for Spurgeon Capital.”

“Interesting.”

“Let me get Kimmy,” I said.

I left and went to Kimmy’s desk and asked her to interview Deborah, then went back to my desk. About two hours later, when the interviews were completed, I called everyone together for a quick review.

“She’s the best of the three we’ve seen so far,” Kimmy said. “I’d put Evan second, and wouldn’t even consider Zach.”

“I agree,” Elyse said. “Zach is out. It’s a tough choice between the other two, but I think Kimmy is right.”

“I’d put them in the other order,” Julia said. “But only by a hair. I wouldn’t object to either of them.”

“I agree with Kimmy,” Eve said. “But like Julia, it’s only by a hair. I could go either way.”

“And I prefer Deborah completely,” Cindi said.

“OK,” I said. “We still have two candidates to see next week. Unless someone thinks we should act on Deborah’s request to me that we hire her today!”

The women all laughed.

“She asked me the exact same question,” Elyse said. “And I’m sure that’s one reason you liked her. She did what you would do.”

I nodded, “That’s true. The only thing that raised some hairs on the back of my neck was her 1L internship at Hart-Lincoln, but I checked, and she wasn’t even interviewed by the FBI.”

“Of COURSE you did!” Elyse laughed.

“A quick call to Agent Stone confirmed they didn’t talk to her because there was literally nothing to talk to her about. She did legal research and spent 90% of her time at the law library, according to her timesheets. And if mere association is enough for guilt, then we’re all guilty. Especially the person who made the sale!”

“You’re the one who keeps reminding us you can’t swing a dead penguin without hitting someone connected to the Outfit in Chicago!”

“I do believe I say ‘dead cat’!”

“Just trying to keep it relevant!” Cindi smirked.

“Anyway, we’ll talk to the next two and then we’ll decide what to do. I don’t think we need more than two more, given our opinions of Deborah and Evan.”

Everyone nodded or said ‘yes’ so we adjourned.

April 22, 1996, Chicago, Illinois

“I’m going to Ohio next week,” I told Elyse on the way to the office on Monday morning. “I’ll leave on Sunday after lunch and be back late on Wednesday.”

“What’s going on?”

“Nothing. I’m going to see my dad and Joyce, and I’ll have ice cream with Donna W.”

“Ice cream?” Elyse asked.

“Yes. Ice cream. I’ll also see Ben van Hoek and have some ‘me’ time.”

And spend a couple of days and nights with Eve, but there was no way I could or would say that to Elyse!

“Kimmy’s here, right?”

“Yes.”

“We’re going to be short next week - Cindi, Eve, Tasha, and Zeke are all out.”

“And you, Julia, and Kimmy can handle it for the three days I’ll be gone. Most of the staff is here, right?”

“Yes.”

“Then don’t sweat it. We’ll make the decision on our in-house counsel this week; I’ll do the IIT interviews tomorrow and Wednesday. And you know I’m available by phone if there are any issues that really need my attention.”

“Don’t forget lunch today.”

“I won’t. You know I don’t want it, but I’ll humor you, and so will Penny.”

“How is she doing?”

“Not dealing well with being single, but I’m not sure what she expected.”

“True. Are you and your wives going out tonight?”

“Yes. It’s better to break the celebration into two because of Jessica’s schedule. That let me spend more time with the kids. And then tonight it can be the wives.”

“But she has to work, right?”

“That does put a minor crimp in the celebration. I appreciate you taking Ashley home in my car so Kara, Jess, and I can leave straight from the office.”

“That does save you at least an hour!”

Elyse’s phone buzzed, and she pressed the intercom button.

“Yes, Kimmy?”

“Jacob Goldberg is here for Steve.”

“Thanks, Kimmy. I’ll go get him.”

Jacob was the first of the two candidates we were seeing that morning. I interviewed him and felt he wasn’t quite as good as Evan or Deborah. The same was true, two hours later when I interviewed Paul Winthrop. The discussion to make our decision, though, had to wait until after lunch.

Lunch was pizza from Connie’s and after everyone sang Happy Birthday to Penny and me, we cut the sheet cake, then Charlie, Kimmy, and Lucas served everyone, adding scoops of ice cream to each plate of cake. There were plenty of birthday greetings, but a quiet word to Charlie had ensured no hugs were attempted.

“Permission to hug you?” Kimmy asked when we went back upstairs to our office.

“As much as I’d like that, work isn’t the place.”

“I swear, I should have put a hit out on Mikela!” she growled.

“It’s not just her,” I said. “It’s more complicated than that.”

“Penny,” Kimmy said flatly.

“Also a major part of it. But I will point out something, once, and that’s the fact that YOU acknowledged something changed when you quit shaking that cute little ... rear at me!”

Kimmy laughed, “I KNOW you look. I don’t have to be obvious about it. And before you deny it, I know you well enough that you notice, even if you aren’t staring. You aren’t dead just yet!”

“You might want to ask Penny’s opinion on that one!”

“Penny’s problem is that she can’t distinguish lust from love. She loves you, sure, but it’s lust that drives her. I, on the other hand, am IN love with you, and have been since the first day I met you. Nothing is ever going to change that. But I knew the score. You let me help you when you needed it the most, and then, very gently rebuffed what you know we both want because, at least in part, you know I’m in love with you.

“There are plenty of girls here who would love to have you, and could handle a one-off night of unbridled passion; Penny isn’t one of them. I know you know that, and I totally understand why the rules are in place, and why we have to follow them. Penny doesn’t, but then again, she’s used to getting her way and doing what she wants, consequences be damned. You and I don’t think that way, which is why our relationship is what it is.”

“Now I want to hug you,” I grinned.

“Oh, I know,” Kimmy smirked. “Should we sneak into the supply room?”

“Probably not the best idea,” I said, taking her hand and squeezing it. “But thank you for the pleasant image.”

“You’re welcome. Sorry to change the subject, but it’s almost time for the meeting to select the in-house counsel.”

I released her hand and we walked to the ‘Lemieux’ room where Elyse, Cindi, Julia, and Eve joined us.

“Does anyone think that Zach or Jacob would be better options than Evan or Deborah?”

Everyone shook their heads or said ‘no’.

“Jamie generally agrees with us,” I replied. “I asked him to simply eliminate three from competition and he eliminated the same three. So that leaves us with a decision between Evan and Deborah. I’ll listen.”

“Actually,” Cindi said. “This is your counsel. You have to choose. We helped you eliminate three of the five candidates. But in the end, you’re picking your legal advisor to, well not replace but supplement, Jamie. The four of us agree you need to decide.”

“Why do I sense a conspiracy?” I asked with a grin.

“Uhm, because I just TOLD you there was one!” Cindi laughed.

“She’s right,” Eve said. “This isn’t a veto situation. This must be your choice. We’re talking about someone you have to trust just as implicitly as you trust the four of us.”

“And that means YOU have to make the decision, big boy!” Elyse smirked.

“Julia?” I asked.

She shook her head, “Don’t look at me! I got out of that damned chair the moment you let me!”

“Maybe I should have brought Stephanie in on this,” I mused.

“No, you shouldn’t,” Kimmy said firmly. “Even when she’s here, YOU are still NIKA and while she and I will handle all the operational issues, you still have to lead. And that means having good advisors. Like the five of us!”

“How did I put myself in a position where women rule my life?” I sighed theatrically.

All five of them laughed.

“You poor baby!” Cindi smirked. “And all of us know there is only one woman who rules your life. Well, young woman, but you know what I meant! Now, decide!”

“Shall I call home and ask?” I grinned.

“She’s in school!” Elyse laughed. “But I suppose you could get her out of class.”

“What’s your decision, Boss?” Eve asked.

“He’s stalling,” Cindi said. “He doesn’t LIKE having to make these decisions. He never has.”

“That’s not QUITE true,” I grinned. “I picked all of YOU.”

“He does have a point!” Kimmy said. “But I agree, he’s stalling.”

“Deborah,” I said.

“Defend your decision,” Cindi demanded.

“In my opinion, she’s the best candidate. She’s not going to be afraid to confront me, and she made that clear in the interview.”

“How?”

“She was direct, and honest, and wasn’t afraid to say things which with a different interviewer might have gone sideways very quickly. She’s aggressive, wants the job, and has a clear exit plan.”

“Exit plan?” Elyse asked. “And that’s a good thing?”

“Where is a lawyer going to go in this firm? No place. She intimated between five and ten years, and then she’d leverage her work here into a partnership at a law firm. That makes perfect sense, and tells me she understands the role and its limitations. The fact that she not only thought about that, but had the courage to state it clearly, tells me I can rely on her to provide good, solid counsel.”

“And adding to the women who rule your life!” Cindi laughed.

“He’s always been that way,” Elyse said. “His closest advisors have always been women, going back before I even met him when we were in tenth grade. He’s always had a mentor, starting with Joyce’s grandfather, though after Jorge’s death, I think that role is shared by three guys - Karl, Jamie, and Doctor Al.”

I nodded, “I would never have thought to call Jorge a mentor because he was younger, and I daresay he would have said the roles were opposite of what you just said, but you make a good point. Sensei Jim factors in there, as well.”

“But none of them have had the influence on you that Bethany or Jennifer or Anala had.”

“Or you.”

Elyse smiled, but said nothing.

“Do you want me to draw up the paperwork for an offer?” Kimmy asked.

“No,” I said. “I need to do it. I’ll get it to you by the end of the day.”

The meeting adjourned, and as we left the room, Elyse put her hand on my arm, so I followed her to her office. She shut and locked the door, then led me to the couch. I was surprised when she sat in my lap to cuddle.

“What’s up?” I asked.

“Thank you,” she said, giving me a quick peck on the lips.

“I was just telling the truth.”

“I know, but it is nice to hear it.”

“And the cuddling?”

“The last time we did that was Christmas. That’s too long.”

“I kind of left that to your discretion because of Eduardo. And honestly, we shouldn’t do this here.”

“On that topic I agree with Penny, not the Junior Anti-Sex League! And that’s why I did this. Don’t take it too far, Steve. Hugs are OK. I know you sent word through Charlie that the girls weren’t to hug you, but nobody is pressuring anyone and if THEY initiate the hugs, there isn’t an issue.”

“Sure there is,” I said. “Perception is reality.”

“Let me rephrase, NOT hugging, ever, sends the wrong message. It makes you TOO aloof, too cold. Find a middle way. You know, that Swedish word you always use? «Lagom».”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.