A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami
Chapter 46: Lessons

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

April 2, 1996, Chicago, Illinois

“Well, I think this may have been a wasted trip,” Lieutenant Mike Washington said when he was ushered into my office.

“Because of the Japanese decor?”

“And me not wanting an assignment to Yokosuka.”

“Don’t worry about it. If you prefer, I have a room with Western furniture.”

“This is OK.”

We sat down in the «zaisu» chairs and Kimmy brought me green tea and a glass of ice water for Lieutenant Washington.

“If I can ask, and you can refuse to answer without me holding it against you, why try to get out after just four years?”

“I’ll answer. My twins were born while I was deployed on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. Now I’m being sent to Japan for a two-year assignment which means my wife has to go along, or I don’t see her for most of the next two years, and I suffer financially. She really doesn’t want to raise the kids on base in Japan, and I can’t argue with her.”

“Why not try to get a Stateside posting?”

“I have. I called in every favor I’m owed, and Commander Schumacher tried as well. If you know any admirals...”

I shook my head, “Karl, Commander Schumacher, is the highest-ranking officer I know personally. And I don’t know any Senators or Congressmen, just local elected officials. Also, I did some checking, and honestly, if you’ll excuse me saying this, your chances of getting your resignation approved are near-zero unless you can prove extreme hardship. Not to mention it takes at least six months, which means you’re going to have to go, or face an Article 32 hearing preliminary to a court martial.”

“You’re well informed.”

“My dad is a retired Chief, and I have half-a-dozen good friends who are officers and a couple more who got out after doing their commitment.”

“A Chief during Vietnam?”

“Commander Schumacher didn’t fill you in? My dad served on destroyers protecting convoys during World War II. He didn’t marry until he left government service in 1961.”

“Does that make you the firstborn?”

“Yes. I have two younger siblings. Karl tells me you’re originally from the South Side?”

“Woodlawn. My dad is a construction worker and my mom works for the Social Security Administration. They managed to put both me and my brother through college, and me through law school.”

“You went to UIC and then DePaul, right?”

“Yes.”

“Why join the Navy?” I asked.

“It seemed like a good way to not have to go through the insane grind that comes with being a new associate. I knew I’d have to do two ‘at sea’ tours, which was OK. I did those and was away from my wife most of the last four years. I figured I’d get a Stateside deployment, but somebody decided I needed to go to Japan. I know there was no guarantee, but after two straight ‘at sea’ deployments, the odds of staying Stateside were pretty good.”

“I’m not quite sure what to tell you,” I said. “At this point, all I can say is get the process started and we’ll see what happens.”

“Thanks, Mr. Adams.”

“You’re welcome. Call me ‘Steve’, please, in the future. And come to breakfast with Commander Schumacher if you can.”

“I’m only in town for a couple of days, visiting my parents. Then I have to go back to Norfolk.”

“OK. Let me know what you find out.”

He stood, and we shook hands. Kimmy walked him out, and I went to my desk to call Karl.

“He seems like a nice guy, but bailing on your commitment isn’t a way to endear himself to me. I get that he was unlucky in the draw, if you will, but you get that when you sign up.”

“True, but he’s looking at another two years away from his family. And you know the Japanese view on African-Americans.”

“Oh, I do, and that’s the reason I’m cutting him slack on the commitment issue. I totally get it. One of my Japanese friends made it clear what her parents think of blacks. And that’s a pretty common theme. Heck, you’ve seen those racist Japanese propaganda posters from World War II depicting blacks as rapists. Not that Bugs Bunny was much better in how Japanese were treated by us.”

“Do you really need to do that?”

“What? Criticize my country? Yes. It’s the only way to fix the things which are broken. We’ve done some really bad stuff, Commander. Does it rise to the level of the Nazis or Japanese? Probably not, but you might ask the American Indians or Guatemalans or the few kids of former slaves who are alive. But forget all that. We can take it up at breakfast or Guys’ Night. What are the REAL chances he gets out anytime soon?”

“With the right strings pulled, it could happen. But we can’t find anyone who is willing and able to pull those strings.”

“Then I’d say our Lieutenant is going to Japan, unless he wants to risk being sent to Leavenworth to supervise Timothy Jefferson while he breaks rocks.”

“That’s probably the case. We have a couple more weeks to work on it.”

“I’d suggest he not file his resignation paperwork unless you’re sure. The next four years will be hell on him if he does.”

“I’ve told him that. Thanks for talking to him.”

“As I said, he’s a good guy who got dealt a shitty hand by the Navy. And there isn’t much any of us can do about it.”

“No, there isn’t.”

April 3, 1996, Chicago, Illinois

“Steve, I have Alderman Bloom on the line for you,” Kimmy announced.

“Did he say what he wanted?”

“No. He just asked to speak with you. I could ask him.”

“No. Go ahead and put him through.”

A few seconds later the phone buzzed and I answered.

“Good afternoon, Alderman. How may I help you?”

“I’m considering a run for City Treasurer and I was calling to ask for your support. I know you’re reticent to make contributions, but if you would lend your name, that would assist in gaining the party’s nomination. You had previously suggested that was a possibility.”

As much as I found it distasteful to back someone who was corrupt for higher office, it would go to show Theo, and whoever was really running the South Side Outfit that I was serious about what I had said. So long as I made no financial contributions, I could, should the corruption be uncovered, simply disavow him and walk away clean by saying I had no idea. His reputation would make that possible. I realized I was being cynical and propagating the problem, but given that Scuderi was basically stalking me, and given the break-ins by the two police recruits, I felt I had to.

“Certainly, Alderman. Feel free to add my name to your list of supporters.”

“Thank you, Mr. Adams. I appreciate it.”

“When will you announce?”

“It’s months away. I need to ensure sufficient community support, and not just in my ward, as this is a citywide office. With the way the lines were redrawn, you aren’t in my ward.”

“Our dojo is still in your ward.”

“Very true. Would you allow a visit, with the press, when the time is right?”

“I’ll discuss that with the master of the dojo, but I can’t imagine we’d refuse a visit from our Alderman.”

“Thank you again. May I ask for another favor?”

“Sure.”

“An introduction to two friends of yours - Ms. Samantha Spurgeon and Ms. Jeri Lundgren?”

“I can make those introductions for you. I’ll call them, then call you with the best time to contact them.”

“Thank you.”

We said ‘goodbye’ and hung up. I called both Jeri and Samantha, explained the request, and warned them not to contribute to Chicago politicians. They both laughed, telling me they knew better, but also agreed to speak to Alderman Bloom. I thanked them, then called Alderman Bloom’s office to relay their preferred contact times and numbers.

“I thought you weren’t getting mixed up in that shit,” Penny said.

“I’m not giving him any money or serving on any committee. And you know darn well that having friends in City government is about the only way things get done efficiently in Chicago!”

“What about Ed?”

“No way!” I said firmly. “I can’t ever ask him for any favors in that regard. He’s apolitical and has to stay that way. The FBI actually questioned me about that when they busted the Aldermen a few years ago, because I asked one of them to make sure Ed’s résumé was noticed.”

“They’re all corrupt except Alderman Bloom! He’s like the only one who is squeaky clean!”

“As far as we know,” I said.

“Bart says that if they haven’t found anything on him yet, that means he HAS to be clean.”

I chuckled, “You would think, right? And that public image is why I feel reasonably safe in letting him use my name in trying to get the nomination.”

“What about that professor from the University that my dad and Kara know?”

“Obama? Talk about a cipher! He only won because he got everyone else kicked off the ballot. I don’t know who his godfather is, but somebody is pulling the strings. This is Chicago, after all. Nothing happens without ‘Machine’ approval.”

“Whatever happened with that black Navy lieutenant who was here?”

“Nothing so far. I’ll bet you anything you care to wager he does his two years in Japan.”

“So, if he doesn’t, you’ll take me, right here, on my desk?” she teased.

“You know the rules, Penelope.”

“I’m not married!”

“But you work for NIKA and the policy is crystal clear. And you know from what happened with Mikela what Jamie has to say about that.”

“Oh right, because I’m going to snitch on you? Really?”

“No, but all it would take is someone finding out and then all hell would break loose. Heck, Dave and Julia would quit at that point, and you aren’t THAT good, Pretty Penny.”

“Hah! You’ve never had a better fifteen-year-old in your life!”

“Last I checked,” I smirked, “you aren’t fifteen anymore!”

“Asshole!” she spat, but she was laughing. “Sadly, the bod has quite a few miles on it since then. How the HELL did Kara manage to look BETTER after kids than she did before?”

“As she tells it, she was made to have babies, and you know what her pregnancies and labor were like.”

“Don’t remind me,” Penny growled. “It wasn’t fa ... never mind!”

“In this case I can accept the f-word!” I smirked. “You aren’t the first one to complain about Kara’s ease in childbirth.”

“Not to mention looking like a fucking supermodel at age 32 after giving birth to two kids!”

“As if you don’t look good!”

“Not like her!”

“I always thought you were sexy, Pretty Penny.”

“And now?”

“Absolutely! Of course! No question!”

“Uh huh. That sounds like an attempt to avoid me beating you with the nerf bat!”

“All kidding aside, I still find you incredibly attractive. But the rules are in place for good reason.”

“You’re just no fun!”

April 7, 1996, Chicago, Illinois

“I’ve never been to a hockey game,” Maria Cristina said as we walked into the United Center.

“Get used to it!” Elyse laughed. “If you hang around the circus, you’ll discover hockey is more important than oxygen at times!”

“Jesse, I hear you play hockey,” Maria Cristina said.

“Yes. My team is going to be league champions this year!”

“You have to win the playoff games first, Little Duck!”

“With me in goal? We can’t lose!”

“My son is extremely modest,” Jennifer laughed, “in addition to being a good goalie.”

“Dad says it’s not arrogance if you can back it up!” Jesse said smugly.

“Perhaps,” I chuckled.

“It was nice of Alec to let us use his box tonight, especially against Detroit!” Dave said.

“He owes me a few favors. I called one in. He was happy to oblige.”

“Who else is meeting us here?” Julia asked.

“Penny, the Jaegers, the Quinns with Nicholas, the Fergusons, the Schumachers with their two boys, Jeri and Howard, Samantha and Brian, Ed and Stephanie, Bo and Gina, Cindi and Stuart, Eve Falvey, Melissa, Molly and Brett, Sensei Jim, and Marcia and her dad. I invited Michelle, but she turned me down. And Jessica has to work tonight, so she’s sleeping.”

“And this Alec guy just lets you use his private box for free?” Maria Cristina asked.

“I did him a very big favor in the past. That’s how I conduct business. My friend Jeri owes me a few. I owe Samantha a few. And so on.”

“Do not!” Samantha protested, coming up behind me with Brian.

“Now children, no fighting!” Kara reprimanded us.

Samantha and I looked at each other, smirked, then said, “Yes, Mom!”

Kara rolled her eyes and shook her head while the others laughed.

When everyone had gathered by the ‘will call’ box, I got the tickets, and we all went to the VIP entrance and rode the elevator up to the skyboxes. Alec had provided all the food, but we had to pay for alcohol, per the rules.

“Do you know the rules for hockey?” Jesse asked Maria Cristina.

“Only the basic idea.”

He took her hand and led her down to the seats and started pointing out the lines and explaining the rules while the Blackhawks and Red Wings skated their warm-ups.

“Who’s the girl?” Dave asked.

“She’s being mentored by the ‘Chemistry Mafia’,” Kara said. “She wants to be a doctor, so we’ve enlisted Jessica as well. She may go to UofC, and if she does, she might live at the house, rather than with her mom in Cicero. I know you’ve heard what pre-med is like, in addition to medical school.”

“Trust me,” Dave said with a nod, “I made the right decision going into business with Steve. When they called my name at graduation, I was SO ready to be done, and it was nothing like what Jessica, Sofia, or Alejandra went through. Speaking of which, when do you get hooded?”

“June 8th!”

“Then there will be two Doctors Adams!” Julia said.

“And with Elyse with her Master’s, and both Jennifer and Josie with theirs, I’m the least educated adult in the house!” I grinned.

“And he STILL makes more than we do!” Kara said playfully.

“That’ll change,” I said. “If you looked at Jessica’s potential earnings on the salary schedule at UofC, she’ll have a larger base than I will in less than ten years. And if she gets a ‘management’ role, it’ll be even more. College professors, on the other hand, are significantly underpaid.”

“I love what I do, and I’m happy you and Jess make the money you do.”

I hugged her and we exchanged a quick kiss.

“Your girls didn’t want to come to the game?” Julia asked.

I shook my head, “They were more than happy to hang out with Rachel and Tiffany and a couple of other girls from school. Birgit associates hockey with stinky boys.”

“And if you’ve ever smelled a youth hockey locker room, you’ll know she’s spot on!” Josie laughed. “I don’t know of much that smells worse.”

We all laughed, including Jesse, who had just come back from the seating area with Maria Cristina.

“So we can just eat whatever we want?” Maria Cristina asked. “That’s what Jesse said.”

“Yes. And all you need to do is ask a waiter if something needs to be refilled. And if you want something they haven’t brought, and it’s on the menu, just ask for it. You can’t drink alcohol, obviously, but there are soft drinks and water in the fridge.”

“And your friend just pays for all of this?”

I nodded, “Yes.”

“Wow. That must have been some favor!”

“It was. Did Jesse explain the game?”

“Yes, though I’m a bit confused about the ‘two-line’ pass rule.”

“One of the rules I hope they eliminate. They’re talking about doing that in the minor leagues, but that’s probably years away. The best way to understand the rule is you can’t pass forward across any two of the three center lines without being ‘offside’.

“If you know the rules for soccer, it’s similar to offsides there being relative to the position of a player closer to the ball than the last defending player when it’s kicked forward. Hockey just uses lines. It’s all meant to keep players from camping out down the ice, which happened before the rules were put in place to prevent that. I want the ‘two-line pass’ rule gone so that the only offside pass is one that would be to a player already across the opponent’s blue line.”

“I think I get it. It’s offside, just not called that.”

“Correct.”

We had a wonderful time, ignoring one major downer - the Blackhawks lost 4-1, scoring their lone goal late in the 3rd period. Ex-Penguins Bob Errey and Paul Coffey contributed to the Detroit victory.

“Did you like it?” Jesse asked Maria Cristina.

“It was fun, but I can’t believe how many times they sent players to the penalty box!”

“Forty-six penalties isn’t a normal thing,” I chuckled, “but these teams positively hate each other. That’s why there were so many fighting and misconduct penalties, including Jim Cummins getting a game misconduct for starting the fight halfway through the third period.”

“I’m amazed they don’t get ejected for fighting!”

Jesse laughed, “I went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out!

“So it’s OK?”

“Sort of,” I said. “It used to happen a lot more, but they’re trying to crack down on it. An occasional fight is OK, but what happened this afternoon was out of control.”

“I’ll say! Jesse, do you fight in your games?”

“No. We get kicked off the team if we fight.”

We skipped our usual meal at Star of Siam as everyone had eaten plenty of food during the game. When we arrived home, Maria Cristina joined me in the ‘Indian’ room. I sat in a basket chair and she came and sat in my lap without being bidden. I wrapped my arms around her, and she pulled her legs up then put her head on my shoulder.

“Did you have a good time today?” I asked.

“Very! Your kids are so well-behaved, even when they’re going nuts over a hockey game!”

I chuckled, “I’m not sure I’d call cheering for Bob Probert to beat up Stu Grimson ‘well-behaved’. Well, maybe I would, but not most people!”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.