A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami
Chapter 37: The Two Dons

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

January 19, 1996, Colerain Township, Ohio

“Don Anthony,” I said, kissing his ring.

“Don Stephen,” he replied with a nod.

I invited him into the guest house, and he stopped short when he saw Eve.

“I thought this was a friendly meeting.”

“It is. Eve’s here because there have been some developments in Chicago that have me concerned. She’ll leave while we meet.”

Eve took her cue and left, and I offered Anthony a drink which he accepted.

“Can we talk, man to man, with respect?” Anthony asked.

“Yes, of course.”

“I need advice, and who could give me better advice than the man who countered me every step of the way?”

“If I may speak plainly...”

He nodded, “Yes, of course.”

“Your wife’s vendetta against me was the true source of your problems.”

“I know. She had it in for you from the time she was thirteen. I never fully understood that before, but I think I do now. Unfortunately, I find myself in a very bad place at the moment.”

“Detroit?”

A wry smile spread across Anthony’s face, “I should have worked things out with you years ago. You have the mind of a true Don, similar to my grandfather-in-law. I was too much of a hothead.”

“Extricating yourself from the drug trade is very, very tricky.”

“Of all the people I know, I believe you’re the only one who could come up with a way.”

“Your problem is that the old way of doing business is basically dead. It’s nearly impossible to collect protection when Starbucks and Subway are replacing local mom-and-pop stores. In Chicago, the Outfit really only has loan sharking at this point. Everything else is via corrupt unions, corrupt construction and trucking companies, and corrupt politicians. And the Feds just busted quite a few of them on loan sharking charges. On the drive down, I was thinking about what you might want, and this is pretty much what I thought it would be. I did some serious thinking, and I believe you need to focus on services and locations where the government simply doesn’t pay nearly as much attention. You need to establish some income so you don’t need the drug income, then you can break with them.”

“Not in Cincinnati?”

I smiled, “Historically, all the vice was in Covington, across the river. Find a good building and open a restaurant and bar. Use that as a front for gambling and escort services. Those attract far less attention, assuming you run an honest gambling joint AND you take very good care of the girls who work for you.”

“And Detroit?”

“Simple. YOU tip the cops to several shipments in a row. Let them bust the couriers before they get to Cincinnati. I’m guessing they come down I-75. Have them busted between Toledo and Lima. At some point, they’ll have to shift to other routes. Have those busted, but always at least 150 miles from Cincinnati. Detroit will assume they have a leak internally. If you don’t have product, you can’t sell. Your street dealers will go to one of the black or Hispanic gangs or find another supplier.”

Anthony nodded slowly, “That might work. How do I tip off the government?”

“Use a new, pre-paid cellular phone and never use it for anything else. I’ll get the number of a DEA agent in Northern Ohio for you from my government contacts. They will NOT know who you are. I’ll vouch for the anonymous tipster.”

“Won’t they wonder how you know?”

“Sure, but I know how to handle that. I’m sure you know the FBI uses us for computer work.”

“Yes. And that gave Connie indigestion.”

“Connie let her anger get the best of her. Just as you did. This calls for calm, cool, and collected thinking. Let me put it this way - if you need a gun, you’re doing it wrong.”

“YOU have a gun!”

I nodded, “But it’s defensive only. What I meant is, if you find yourself in a position where you need to make threats of violence, you’re doing it wrong. That’s what got the guys in Chicago in trouble. Think how banks deal with it.”

“I’m not going to send a collection agency after someone.”

“Sure you are! But not with the threat of breaking legs. With the threat of exposing the gambling debt if they refuse to pay. If you have the right clientele, the mere suggestion of bad publicity will be enough. You want high rollers, not Joe Six Pack. You want guys who’ll pay $1000 a night for the best piece of ass in the country, not guys who’ll pay $20 for a blowjob. Think about how Don Joseph ran his houses. That’s what you want, but even one step up.

“The restaurant and bar need to be high class as well. You’ll want to declare 100% of the income. Use that to launder some of the income from the gambling and prostitution. The rest you take by private plane to someplace like the Cayman Islands or Antigua. It’s easy enough to set up. You’ll just need a couple of good attorneys.”

“You know a LOT of attorneys.”

I nodded, “And I know some who consider the law, well, flexible. I’ll put you in touch with one in Memphis.”

“Did you provide the government the evidence to take down the law firm in Chicago?”

I shook my head, “No. They were our customer, but we didn’t give the Feds what they needed for the warrants. That came from someone else. They asked for our help to examine the computers once the warrants were issued.”

“What service may I do for you in exchange for your advice and assistance?”

“Nothing at the moment,” I said. “And that day may never come. But if it does, I will get in touch with you. Are you going to be able to control your wife?”

He laughed, “I told her she could no longer ask me about my business. She doesn’t know I’m here meeting with you.”

“I bet THAT went over well!” I chuckled.

“Her alternative was to move back with her parents and have nothing. Or stay with me and allow me to dig out of the hole we created.”

“You should improve your relationship with Joyce as well. I know she can provide business advice.”

He shook his head, “No. She doesn’t think the way you do. I’m not sure if she told you, but her business has stagnated. The delis are losing out to Subway, like you mentioned, the bakeries to national brands, and the small corner stores to chain stores.”

“She didn’t tell me. But she’s still profitable, right?”

“Yes. But that’s why I suspected her of taking the money from us. I was sure she had the necessary codes. Connie always thought her grandfather had hidden the codes in his Bible, and that’s why he gave you the Bible.”

I shook my head, “I checked after the accusation was made. The only thing written in the Bible is the original inscription. And I paged through it to see if there were any slips of paper. There weren’t.”

“Then it was my sister-in-law, though she would have needed help from someone. But as I said the last time you were here; the matter is resolved between you and me.”

We both stood and shook hands.

“Thank you, Don Stephen.”

“You’re welcome.”

“You would make a great Consigliere!”

I laughed, “I am German-Irish just like Tom Hagen!”

I walked him to the door, we shook hands again, and he left. Eve came into the guest house about ten minutes later.

“Well?” she asked.

“Exactly as I predicted. I gave him some advice along the lines we discussed. He’ll get out of the drug business and into high-end escorts and gambling.”

“Well, those things shouldn’t be illegal so long as nobody is compelled to participate,” Eve said.

“Sex is NEVER free,” I chuckled.

“Oh? And what exactly am I charging YOU?”

“Hmm. I may actually have to reconsider my opinion that you ALWAYS pay for it, one way or the other!”

Eve laughed, “For most situations, I’d agree with you. But you and I have a totally unencumbered sexual relationship. We fuck, but neither of us expects anything more from the other, and when it ends, we’ll continue all our other relationships. Neither of us has any designs on the other except pure sexual gratification. It’s about as uncomplicated as it gets.”

“True.”

“And speaking of pure sexual gratification, what time do you have to leave?”

“I have to meet my dad for dinner at 6:00pm, so about 5:20pm.”

She checked her watch and smiled, “That gives us two hours!”

“I brought my ropes!” I grinned.

“Oh God,” she moaned, unbuttoning her blouse.

Two hours later, we climbed into the shower together.

“That was unreal,” she said wetting her hair under the spray.

“You really got off on it,” I grinned.

“I want to do that again. It was just perfect being helpless, spread-eagled on the bed, knowing you could do anything you wanted to me.”

“But only what YOU wanted,” I replied.

“You could do THAT if you wanted.”

“Only if you ask me to,” I said.

Eve laughed, “Pass, if I have a choice!”

“You do.”

“You realize that’s why I feel so safe letting you tie me up, right? Because I know you won’t do anything that would hurt me. I’m not sure I could trust someone else that way.”

“When you find someone you CAN trust that way, then I think you’ve found your mate.”

She turned, look me in the eyes, and nodded, “Very true.”

January 19, 1996, Mason, Ohio

“What brought you to town, Son?” my dad asked when I sat down at the table.

“Just a business meeting. I like to meet face-to-face with people from time to time, and it gave me a good excuse to see you, as well as Jake, Joyce, and the kids.”

“You haven’t seen Ben van Hoek in quite some time.”

“I see him at the User Group meetings. All the stuff with Becky kind of made that a touchy subject for Kara in the past. She’s OK with it now, but I just felt it better to keep an arm’s-length relationship with Ben. He understands the situation.”

“Al Barton called me.”

I sighed, “Of course he did. Did he tell you MY side?”

“Actually, he did. He called for advice, not to tattle. He figured after 32 years I might know one or two things about you!”

I chuckled, “‘Might’ is the operative word! What did you tell him?”

“The same thing I would tell anyone in such a situation. We each have to make our own way in the world, and sometimes that means we do things which make no sense to anyone else. You’re stubborn, but that’s a virtue as well as a vice. You also look at things from a holistic perspective. I think Al Barton and your wife have a very clear view, but they wear blinders, and see everything as a medical problem without worrying about the whole person.”

The waiter came and took our orders.

“Did Al tell you I said that?” I asked after the waiter left.

“Yes. And I confirmed you’ve always looked at the world that way. You were always a big picture person. Your decisions made sense when you took everything into account, but not to those who only saw things narrowly.”

“Mom.”

“Yes. Take one of the first major decisions you made that made zero sense to her but which made perfect sense to you - giving away Jennie McGrath at her wedding to Kent Sanders.”

“You do know there was way more to that than I admitted at the time.”

“Of course I do! I was sure about what had happened. So was your mom, though she could never prove it. I talked her out of calling the police, but it was a very close thing.”

“And had Jennie and I both denied it, which we would have, nothing would have come of it. These days, though, with the way the police and prosecutors are, they probably would have charged her. Back then? The cops would have taken one look at her, laughed knowingly, and patted me on the back. A lot has changed in twenty years.”

“It has. It’s approaching insanity. Your kids will need to be very careful.”

“Tell me something I don’t know! We’re dealing with all sorts of issues with society. I didn’t tell you, but some parent complained about the kids walking to school without an adult escort the whole way.”

“It’s what? Eight blocks? And they walk with Nicholas Evans and other friends, right?”

“Yes. Rachel Rizzi is eleven now, and Jesse will be ten in a month. It’s crazy, really. The principal was totally cool about it, but one of these days, it won’t be acceptable.”

“Just raise your kids the way you believe they should be raised and counter all the nonsense. I realize you might have to make some compromises because society is going off the rails, but do your best.”

“We’re on the exact same page there. I do have a challenge for you.”

“What’s that?”

“Doctor Whittaker from Mayo - you know, the one using me as a research project - wants to run a full battery of tests on my parents and grandparents to see if she can find anything similar to me. It’s more for predicting if the kids will have problems than anything. I told her your parents had died, and that I was concerned that Mom wouldn’t cooperate. I promised to ask you to see if you could convince her.”

My dad sighed, “I’m afraid that because it’s for you, she’ll simply refuse. Her opinion of you hasn’t changed one bit. She holds her tongue only because she wants to see the grandkids.”

“Do you think that leverage might work? Not a threat, but that she’s helping the grandkids?”

“Maybe. Would we have to go to Mayo? You know Lawrence and Mary don’t travel.”

“I mentioned that to Doctor Whittaker and she said that Grandma and Grandpa could have the scans done at UC. I suspect you and Mom could as well. They might not have every machine, but they do have enough.”

“Let me see what your mom says.”

“Thanks.”

Our food arrived, and we began eating.

“Has Joyce said anything to you about her business?”

“Just that it’s a tough economic environment. Why?”

“I got the picture she might be struggling with competition. There are Subway restaurants on just about every corner. Heck, they’re expanding to the UK this year. And Starbucks and McDonald’s compete for breakfast business. And the ‘Big Box’ chains are killing off many small stores. I think she might benefit from your experience with all the different businesses over the years.”

“I’ll have a word with her.”

“Thanks.”

“When do you go home?”

“Tomorrow. It was just one meeting, but since I was going to be in town, I decided to stay overnight and have dinner with you.”

“I appreciate it.”

When we finished dinner, I said ‘goodbye’ to my dad and got into my car. I drove about ten miles and pulled into Graeter’s parking lot. I got out and walked inside where I received a VERY nice hug.

“Hi, Steve!”

“Hi, Donna!”

“I could get fired for being here!” she laughed. “I’m not sure UDF would appreciate it!”

“I doubt that they would do anything!” I chuckled. “What can I get you?”

“What was the old joke? A sundae with cherries? You got mine!”

“I did! So, a sundae?”

“Just a double scoop of chocolate.”

I ordered double scoops of chocolate for both of us and we walked to a table in the corner.

“I meant to ask you when I called earlier, but did Marcus and Alexa enjoy their weekend?”

Donna laughed, “Probably nearly as much as I enjoyed mine in Chicago! It’s not often someone gets their most important fantasy fulfilled!”

“And it was certainly my pleasure to fulfill that fantasy ... in more ways than one!”

“Once fulfilled, it can’t be repeated ... or it loses its magic.”

“I totally understand.”

“I don’t want to lose touch,” Donna said wistfully, “but I can’t live a fantasy.”

“Which is why I invited you for ice cream. When I come to Cincinnati, I’ll call, and we can go for ice cream.”

“I’d like that.”

When we finished our ice cream, we exchanged a hug and I headed back to Joyce’s house.

January 20, 1996, Chicago, Illinois

“What did your dad say?” Jessica asked when she came into the ‘Indian’ room late on Saturday afternoon.

“He’ll try. But you know my mom.”

“How was Donna?”

“Just fine. We had ice cream after I had dinner with my dad.”

“And?”

“Nothing. She went home, and I went back to Joyce’s house. Remember what I told you Donna said? She reaffirmed it - the fantasy was fulfilled wonderfully, but it loses its magic if repeated. And she can’t live a fantasy. A totally realistic viewpoint. And to be honest, the ‘spark’ isn’t there the way it was when I ran into her on my previous trip. When I go to Ohio we’ll go out for ice cream again, but that’s it.

“And along the same lines, Eve and I had a good talk on the way to Ohio. She’s very much in the ‘Elena’ camp when it comes to affairs. The only problem is me assuming she might react badly when things come to an end. She made it abundantly clear that she totally understands and when it ends, it ends, and we both get on with our lives. She’s been completely professional at work, without even a hint of anything. Heck, Elyse doesn’t even suspect, and you know how observant she is!”

“Maria Cristina will be here tomorrow about noon and stay for a couple of hours,” Kara said. “She has to work around her shifts at Jewel.”

“What is she telling her mom?”

“That she’s having additional mentoring sessions.”

“Sorry, I meant about how she’s going to be able to afford UofC?”

“She hasn’t, yet, because we’re still in the ‘get to know each other’ stage. Why create a fuss if, in the end, she decides this isn’t for her?”

“Good point. Was that your idea or hers?”

“Hers. She’s super-smart and very thoughtful. Remember, the whole thing started as a simple jest, but then she realized that it might work for her.”

“No pressure, Kara.”

“I’m not putting any pressure on her at all. She’ll work through it and decide.”

“What about the ‘trap’ it creates?” I asked.

“What trap? You agreed to help her with her education. Period. You didn’t put conditions on it, remember?”

“Except we all know what’s implied and she might feel obligated AND she wouldn’t be able to leave during her undergraduate years.”

“So how do you propose to fix that?”

“I’m not sure. Maybe set up some kind of trust to pay her educational expenses, which can only be used at UofC and which reverts back to us if she drops out or whatever. That would give her the freedom to leave should she feel the need to do so.

“You don’t think she might simply walk away as soon as she realizes she can?” Jessica asked.

I shrugged, “She could, but think about what it would mean if she couldn’t. So, for this to work, she needs to believe she’ll have the support structure here which will allow her to be successful, and see this as the best, but not only, alternative. Think about what she has here, over and above money for college. A strong family, a doctor, a chemistry professor, and all our friends in medicine. And she has no obligation to work and no debt.

“And while there are differences, it’s not unlike the agreements I worked out with Samantha and Michelle. Yes, they had different components, but in both cases, they were supposed to be long-term. Heck, Samantha’s was explicitly about sex, and SHE made the offer. Michelle did, too, but it was unstated. And while I have a severe aversion to ‘What if?’ I think I can safely say Lisa Glass wrecked the agreement with Samantha before it had a chance to truly come into force.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.