A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami - Cover

A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 32: Was it what you expected?

December 25, 1995, Chicago, Illinois

“Dad, can I read the Christmas story from the Gospel of Luke?” Jesse asked.

“You mean now?”

“Yes, before we open presents.”

“Sure. You can get a Bible from my study.”

He got off the couch and went to my study and returned with my King James Bible. I totally wasn’t surprised at his selection, as he enjoyed the more formal English just as I did. He found his place and read from Luke, Chapter 2, ending with verse 20, where the shepherds gave glory to God.

“That was nice, Jesse,” Kara said. “Thank you.”

He smiled and returned the Bible to my study. When he returned, our family celebration continued. I looked around the room and marveled at my wonderful extended family, which besides my kids and their moms, included my sister, her husband and son, Samantha and Brian, Eduardo, and Jon. The Quinns, Jaegers, Pointes, Tarrances, and DeWitts, and all their children, would join us for dinner, and then the entire clan would go to Water Tower Place to see Toy Story.

“You really enjoy this, don’t you?” Jennifer asked quietly.

“Someday, all my kids will have their own families, and it will be tougher and tougher to get everyone together for holidays. And that’s normal. So I have to enjoy it now.”

“I wonder. I think we might be surprised by the kids’ willingness to do this.”

“If that happens, I’ll consider myself the luckiest man in the world. Well, there is one thing...”

Jennifer laughed softly, “We have that, Steve. He’s sitting over there with his brothers and sisters.”

“I know. But I still have that fantasy.”

“Me, too,” she said, squeezing my arm. “But we love each other, and we love Josie and Kara too much to mess this up.”

I nodded, “So true.”

When we finished opening the presents, we had lunch, and then everyone headed to the city to see the movie which was amazing, and everyone really liked it. When we arrived home, the kids went to play and Jessica went to take a nap. Kara joined me in the kitchen to begin making the Christmas feast.

“It’s going to be complete chaos here tomorrow,” Kara said as she began cutting broccoli and cauliflower.

“True, but the kids love having all the grandparents here. The only issue will be whether we can pry Albert and Jane apart long enough for him to spend time with anyone else!”

“I was surprised to hear the Wiltons were going to be here.”

“Me, too. And I did decide what to do about that.”

“Oh?” Kara asked, turning to look at me.

“Yes. When Al retires, then we’re going to tell Albert and Ashley. Jess is on board with that. Whether we say anything to anyone else has to be up to Jess.”

“But won’t the kids tell the other kids? And won’t that mean Al and Belinda are part of the grandparents’ cabal?”

I laughed, “Cabal? Nice. In the end, it’ll be up to Al and Jessica how that’s handled. I could easily see her taking the kids to visit him wherever it is he retires to. I’d bet California or Texas, but you never know. And they’re here enough that it won’t look odd to anyone.”

“True. I saw you and Jennifer flirting again.”

“You’ll know you can bury me when that stops! But you also know neither of us is going to act on it.”

“You know I’d be OK with it, Snuggle Bear.”

“Which is the exact reason we don’t. You and Josie would be ‘OK’ with it. But that’s not good enough, if you know what I mean. She’s replaced ‘she who must not be named’ as the one girl you don’t want me to be with.”

Kara laughed, “I told you that it was OK to say Becky’s name! She’s happily married, has two kids, and you have no desire to be with her.”

“Nor she with me,” I said. “It’s not that I’ve talked to her, but we really did put all of that to bed when I saw her the last time.”

“I BET you did!” Kara laughed. “Literally! Did Molly confirm for the 30th?”

“Yes. I’ll bring her back with me on the 31st and she’ll be at our New Year’s Eve party.”

“OK. But you’ll be done at that point, right?”

“Yes. Why?”

“I invited someone I want you to meet.”

“Kara...” I sighed.

“Just meet, Steve! That’s all. Just to see if you like her and you click.”

“Who is this girl?”

“She’s being mentored by one of the ‘Chemistry Mafia’ and I think she fits the bill perfectly.”

“Why?”

“Meet her first, Snuggle Bear. OK? I don’t want to color your opinion.”

“What’s her name?”

“Maria Cristina Ochoa Coulvert. Her parents came to the US from Cuba in 1960 when they were seven and six.”

“Wait! How old IS this girl?”

“Seventeen. She’s a High School Senior.”

“Kara...”

“She’ll turn eighteen in January. Do you trust me?”

“Yes, but I’m still uncomfortable with this idea.”

“I know. Just talk with her. I’m SURE you’ll like her.”

“And you really think an eighteen-year-old girl is going to sign up for this?”

“I do,” Kara declared. “But I want you to talk to her first. And please don’t be an idiot about it.”

“Who? Me?”

“Yes, you! Asking her five seconds after you meet her about a long-term love affair would be idiotic, but it’s something you would totally do, being a «jävla idiot»!”

“Thanks for your vote of confidence,” I deadpanned.

“I know you understand there are times which call for finesse and deftness, not bluntness and direct action. This is one of those. And you’ll do the opposite to blow it up before you even properly consider it because you don’t agree with my idea. All I’m asking is you give it a chance.”

“Does Jessica know about this?”

Kara nodded, “I talked to her about it, yes.”

“And?”

“Just meet the girl, Steve! THEN we can talk.”

“OK,” I sighed. “We’ll do it your way.”

“You DID tell me I was the Senior Wife now!”

“That may have been a severe miscalculation on my part,” I grinned.

“Unless you plan to bring Michelle back and let her take over, you’re out of options, Snuggle Bear!”

“You know I’m teasing.”

“And you know I’M teasing!”

“Can I help?” Birgit asked, coming into the kitchen.

“Always, Pumpkin. You can make the salad!”

“OK!”

She went to the fridge and began taking things out of the ‘crisper’ drawer and placing them on the island. She wasn’t quite tall enough to work without the stepstool, so she moved it over to the island and climbed up one step.

“She looks SO much like you,” I whispered to Kara.

“And thinks like YOU!” Kara replied quietly.

“And ACTS like you!” I countered.

Jesse and Stephie joined us a bit later and helped with the preparation, including setting the table. Our guests arrived about an hour before dinner, including Amanda, whom Jon had invited. We all gathered at the table just after 6:00pm. After a wonderful meal, Eduardo, Elyse, and her boys cleaned up, and then the entire family went to the sauna, though we used ‘weekend rules’ because of Bo and Gina’s discomfort with being naked in the sauna with the kids. After the sauna and showers, we relaxed with our extended family and friends until it was time for Kara and me to walk Jessica to work.

Boxing Day, 1995, Chicago, Illinois

“You don’t have to leave your family to get Karen and the kids.”

“Are you kidding?” I chuckled. “Not a single adult over thirty-five in that room is here to see me! And the kids are MORE than happy to have attention from six sets of grandparents!”

“Albert did ask if he could go with us,” Jon said. “I wasn’t sure that was a good idea with his grandparents here for the first time in years.”

“He can see Jane when we get home,” I said. “That way Jessica’s parents can spend some time with him.”

Or the parents who were publicly acknowledged. I hated the idea of waiting another ten years, or more, before revealing the truth, but there didn’t really seem a way around it which didn’t pose a huge risk to Al Barton and his daughter, my wife. That said, at some point we could be outed by the growing resemblance between Albert and Doctor Al.

“Then I suppose we should go,” Jon said.

We headed out to the minivan, and just under an hour later we were waiting outside the international arrivals doors of the new terminal.

“It’s hard to believe the year is up,” I said. “We’re going to miss you!”

“I have a sneaking suspicion we haven’t seen the last of each other!”

“I was surprised that Amanda isn’t going to Florida with you.”

“She wanted time with your kids before she leaves for Manchester. I assume you’re OK with her staying in my room?”

“Of course. I was really surprised at her parents’ reaction!”

Jon laughed, “She neglected to tell them I had a wife and kids until a week ago when she told them she was moving to England to live with us.”

“Oops!”

“She’ll bring her things to the house tomorrow and stay until we come back from Florida on the 6th.”

“When do you go back to work?”

“I have to be available for scheduling by the 15th per my contract. Doctor Alicia doesn’t have that luxury. UofC gave her until the 5th.”

“It’s a scheduling thing. For the most part, the hiring follows the academic calendar. They’ll have a rent-a-doc for the first week, then she needs to be back.”

“Oh, I know. It’s just bloody-minded to expect someone to work until the 31st, travel back, get settled, and return to work in less than five days!”

“What’s the first thing you’re going to do when you get home?”

“See some friends, visit the local, and watch some sport! Football, Rugby, and Cricket have been sorely missing from my life for a year! That said, my golf game has improved measurably.”

We were interrupted by the sight of two children and a beautiful young woman pushing a cart out through the arrival doors. Jon hurried towards Karen, Mark, and Jane, giving his wife a hug and kiss, then scooping his kids into his arms. I followed at a more sedate pace, then greeted Karen with a polite hug and a ‘society’ kiss.

“At this point, I’d expect at least a peck on the cheek!” she laughed.

I saw Jon smirk out of the corner of his eye, so I pulled Karen into a proper hug and gave her a soft kiss on the lips.

“Better,” she laughed when I released her.

“I think that’ll have to do, Miss Kaliszewski!” I chuckled.

“If my husband can have his, what did you call them?”

“Dalliances!” I grinned.

“Yes, dalliances, then I may as well!”

“And I thought you preferred a different anatomy for your dalliances!”

“Well, yes, but one can make exceptions in the right circumstances!”

“I think we should get everyone home before this gets out of hand!” I chuckled.

“I’m quite enjoying watching this little sparring match,” Jon laughed.

“I want to see Albert!” Jane declared.

“Her Royal Highness has spoken!” I said. “Let’s go!”

“Don’t give her any ideas,” Karen said. “She’ll be as bad as I hear Birgit is if we allow it!”

“Mum, can I ask?”

“Let’s wait, Jane.”

“Ask what?” I replied.

“You’re as bad as they are!” Karen laughed. “Go on, then, Jane.”

“I want Albert to come to Florida with us!”

“Let’s talk to his moms when we get home,” I said.

I exchanged a look with Karen which told her I was OK with the request, but in the end, it was going to have to be Jessica’s decision. We wheeled the cart out the doors of the terminal and then the short distance to the minivan. I loaded the bags while Jon and Karen got the kids settled into car seats. When everyone was belted in, I put the van in gear and we headed into the city.

Albert was waiting by the back door and came running out when he saw the van in the driveway, scrambling into the van to hug Jane even before we had her unbuckled from her car seat. The two of them went off hand-in-hand, ignoring everyone and everything around them.

“Can you imagine those two at fifteen?” I chuckled.

“Well, if he’s anything like his dad...” Karen laughed.

“And she’s anything like her mum!” Jon added.

We got Mark out of his car seat, then Jon and I carried all the luggage into the house. Jessica was asleep, which meant I couldn’t speak to her right away. Jon introduced Karen and Mark to everyone they hadn’t met, which was most of the grandparents, and I went to check on Albert and Jane who were in their usual spot, cuddled close together in one of the basket chairs in the ‘Indian’ room, chattering away to each other.

As I was walking back to the great room, the doorbell rang, so I turned to my right and went to the foyer and opened the door.

“Can anyone join this party?” Joyce asked, giving me a quick hug.

“Come on in! When you’re ready, you can bring the luggage in. The guest room upstairs is set up for you and Jake.”

“Let’s do that now,” Jake said, shaking my hand. “I don’t see any parking spots close, so I think I’ll need to park at the dojo as you suggested. It’s only three or four blocks, right?”

“Yes.”

“Where are Matthew and Michael?” Joseph asked.

“With some of their granddads playing video games upstairs,” I replied. “Go on.”

He scurried off and I helped Jake bring in the luggage while Joyce took Amelia to find her cousins. Once we had the luggage inside, I rode with Jake to the dojo where he parked, and then we walked back to the house. Jake immediately joined Howard, Brian, and my dad, which didn’t surprise me, while Joyce was talking with Kathy and Bethany.

I made sure there were plenty of snacks, and refilled the fridge with soft drinks as needed, and spent some time talking to just about everyone over the course of the afternoon. When it was time for Jessica’s alarm to go off, Kara and I went up to the bedroom.

“How’s the circus?” she asked, stretching and yawning.

“In full swing! I had a request from Jane about Albert I need to talk to you about.”

“Oh?”

“She wants him to go to Florida with them. You know the plan - they’re going to be there six days, starting this Thursday.”

“I guess I can’t really object. You let Birgit fly to see Katy and Amy and Matthew fly to see Jason and Abby.”

“You can, object, Babe. I think it’s OK, but you need to be OK with it, too.”

“You know me, ‘Miss Overprotective Mom’. If you say ‘yes’, Tiger, then it’s fine.”

“If you’re sure.”

“I am,” she replied, climbing out of bed and heading for the bathroom for a quick shower.

“Karen joked about a dalliance,” I said casually.

“Of course she did,” Jessica said, stepping into the shower under the warm spray.

“Are you sure it was a joke?” Kara teased.

“I think so, and even if it wasn’t, I’m not really interested. Nothing against Karen at all, but it just doesn’t seem like a wise thing to do.”

Jessica finished her quick shower and I handed her a towel. She dried herself, handed me the towel, and went into the bedroom to dress. Once she was dressed, we went downstairs to the ‘Indian’ room to talk to Albert and Jane.

“Jane,” I said. “It’s OK to ask Albert.”

A HUGE smile spread across her face, “Albert, do you want to go to Florida with me?”

“Dad? Can I?” he asked excitedly.

“Yes. Your moms and I talked about it and it’s fine.”

“When?”

“On Thursday,” I said.

“Yes!” he exclaimed, hugging Jane tightly.

“Thank you, Mr. Steve and Doctor Jessica!” Jane said.

“You’re welcome,” we both said.

We left the kids to their cuddling and went into the great room where Jessica greeted Troy and Angela. In my mind, calling them her parents was just wrong, though obviously I would do so when I spoke about them to anyone except Kara, Jessica, or Al Barton. Joyce came over to me and asked to speak privately. I nodded and led her to my study.

“What’s up?” I asked.

“Anthony wants a meeting,” she said.

“For what?”

“I have no idea. He came by the house and said he needed a private meeting with ‘Don Stephen’, and asked if I would arrange it.”

I chuckled, “‘Don Stephen’?”

“That is what he said. I pressed him for the topic, but he was steadfast in refusing to say.”

“Face to face?”

“Yes. I thought maybe you could come visit sometime in the next couple of weeks. He’d come by the house. And I get the distinct impression he doesn’t want my sister to know about the meeting.”

I nodded, “He’s learning. Connie has led him astray several times. Tell Don Anthony I’ll be in Cincinnati on January 19th and 20th. It can’t really be before then. He should choose the time so Connie doesn’t find out. I figure I’ll come down on Friday morning and see Ben van Hoek for lunch, so any time after 2:00pm on Friday or anytime on Saturday would be OK.”

“What else will you do?”

“Oh,” I smiled, “I’m sure I can find a way to occupy myself!”

“Donna?” she asked.

I nodded, “Most likely, yes.”

“If she’s not available...” Joyce offered with a silly grin.

“Jake would never, ever allow it.”

“Dons don’t ask permission! They take what they want!”

“And what I want is for you and Jake to have a long, happy marriage.”

She nodded, “Me, too.”

I held out my arms and she stepped close. We hugged for a moment, then exchanged a soft kiss. I held her for a couple more minutes, and then we left my study to rejoin the circus.

December 30, 1995, Racine, Wisconsin

“I’m all yours for the next twenty-four hours!” I said when Molly opened her door on Saturday afternoon.

“Then get in here and get your clothes off!” she laughed.

I gave her a quick kiss, then stepped inside. As soon as she closed the door, I simply stripped off my clothes and stood naked before her.

“Just following orders!” I grinned.

“So we’re supposed to just drop down and do it here?” she laughed.

“Every room in the house?” I smirked.

“Kinky!” she laughed.

“If you think THAT is kinky, you’ve totally missed out!”

“Oh?”

“Got some karate belts? I can tie you up!”

“You like that kind of thing?”

“It can be fun, but only if it’s something you really want to do.”

“And what would you do when I was tied up?”

“Anything I wanted!” I chuckled. “But seriously, we’d have to set limits beforehand.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.