A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami - Cover

A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 9 - Kami

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 31: That Was Crazy

December 19, 1995, Chicago, Illinois

“She’s in a daze, almost zombie-like,” Melissa said when we sat down for lunch at Takumi.

“Is she at work?”

“Yes. I almost sent her home, but I think that might be dangerous. At least she has something to do in the office.”

“Is she managing?”

“Yes. What really concerns me is the completely vacant look in her eyes.”

“She needs help, but I’m not sure where she can get it. Has she been going to church since she moved in with you?”

“No. I didn’t realize she regularly attended church.”

It dawned on me that I hadn’t seen any icons in her room in Melissa’s house when I’d been there, which was very odd. I wondered if a call to Father Basil might help. I’d have to think about that.

“You know about the monastery, right?”

“Sure, because you told me. But I figured once she left there she’d quit going to church. That would make sense, wouldn’t it?”

“Normally, I’d say yes, but Michelle is very conflicted. Think about how you would have felt if you thought the first guy you were with was the ONLY guy you could ever be with, and that having sex was tantamount to marriage.”

“Oh God, no! I’d sleep with YOU before I’d even THINK about wanting to be with that guy for the rest of my life, let alone through the rest of college!”

“Gee, thanks!” I deadpanned.

“You know what I meant. A choice between violating my principles about married men and being with him would be a no-brainer.”

“So, perfect for you, then?” I smirked.

Melissa laughed softly, “I guess I deserved that. All I can say right now is she’s at work and she’s taking care of herself. She did go to karate last night, which I think is good.”

I nodded, “It is.”

“I need your guidance on something totally unrelated.”

“Sure.”

“One of our customers - an important one, but not the biggest or most important - is disputing charges for service calls.”

“Are the complaints legitimate?”

“Absolutely not! I instituted the same system you have - complete documentation of time, materials, and results. I have a perfect paper trail.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“The general manager threatened to cancel their contracts, sell the machines, and buy new equipment from LP Engineering.”

“Is this one of Dante’s old customers?”

“No. This is one we developed on our own after Mark and I bought DP.”

“Is the dispute real? Or is it a pretext?”

“You mean he’s looking for a way out?”

I nodded, “It’s possible. What’s your goal here?”

“We’d like to keep them as a client. They have four of our latest test rigs. Losing them won’t break us, obviously, but we’re talking over $20,000 in annual maintenance fees.”

“What do they want?”

“All the parts we replaced to be considered warranty, even though the warranty expired in March and the work was done in October.”

“I almost think you have to stand fast and insist they pay. If it had been April, I could see giving them the benefit of the doubt if you felt it would keep them, but six months later? I don’t think it’s a good idea. The reasoning is similar to why you should never negotiate with terrorists.”

“Because if you give a little, they know the tactics are effective and they’ll keep doing it to get more from you.”

I nodded, “North Korea is the perfect example - they throw temper tantrums and someone gives them stuff. So they do it again and again. My advice is stick to your guns.”

“Jennifer agrees with you, by the way.”

“So now I’m being kicked to the curb?” I asked with an arched eyebrow.

“No, of course not!” Melissa said quickly.

“Relax! I was teasing. I have no problem with you talking with Jen, or anyone else for that matter. Where is this customer?”

“Kansas City.”

“Go see them,” I said. “A personal visit can do wonders. You should do that for your big customers, if you can.”

She nodded, “When she started, Michelle mentioned you made those kinds of customer contacts.”

“Either personal visits or phone calls. And Cindi and Julia make calls and visits as well. And so do the Regional Directors. It helps.”

“I think I’ll start doing that, beginning with Kansas City.”

The waitress brought our usual orders, and after I gave the traditional Japanese blessing, we began eating.

“You haven’t had any more trouble from Dante, have you?” she asked.

I shook my head, “No. Peach is starting to compete directly with us, but Cindi has it well in hand. You?”

She shook her head, “Not since you made him back down over the patents. He’s competing, but we’re winning our share of deals. M&M is in good shape. I just have to deal with the customer we discussed before.”

“Let me know if you want me to break his legs for you,” I grinned.

“Are you offering to come to Kansas City with me?” she asked with a slight smile.

“For moral support? I could do that if you needed me to. You don’t actually want the other thing.”

Melissa laughed, “Oh yes I do! But the terms and conditions of THAT deal aren’t ones I can accept.”

We finished our lunch and I headed back to the office. When I walked in Lucas let me know that Dave wanted to see me.

“What’s up?” I asked, walking up to his workstation.

He got up and I followed him to the office he used for private meetings, and he shut the door.

“What do I tell Doctor Bauer about the internship for next fall?”

“You mean because I want Jodie to have it?”

He nodded, “Yes.”

“The truth. You know I’ve been mentoring her since she came to Chicago and she spends time at the house studying. I actually don’t interact with her all that much unless she has questions. And before you ask the question which I know is forming in your mind, she and I are NOT involved in any way beyond that. Period.”

“He’s not going to be happy.”

“Tough shit,” I replied. “You’re hiring a developer and we’re also looking for two IT support staff. Granted, one of those is in Boston, and one in Durham, but there’s no reason we can’t hire IIT grads for those roles. Not to mention consultants. I know Charlie has at least one spot for a new graduate. You know the internship could go to UofC, Northwestern, or any of the other schools as well.”

“It’s the ‘not interviewing’ part that will bug him.”

“And he knows damned well how I run NIKA, Dave. Is this him or you?”

“Both, I guess. But he will call me out on it.”

“Have him call me. As for you and me, we discussed this back when she first came to Chicago from Iron Mountain. And yes, before you ask, we’re most likely going to hire her for a full-time role when she graduates in 1997. This is similar to Claire, obviously. But it’s also basically the last one. I don’t have much contact with college students because we’re not doing the Rap Sessions. How much of a problem is this, Dave?”

“I don’t like having my hands tied. And it goes against ‘manage your team’.”

I nodded, “I understand. And how often do I pull rank? I’m not talking about asking you to see things my way, and arguing for it, but actually putting my foot down and forcing an issue?”

“Rarely, though it’s happened. Terry is the latest example. And I’m STILL very concerned that your personal relationship is going to cause trouble there.”

“I know you don’t trust him, Dave. And I totally understand why. What has Barbara said?”

“To the best of her knowledge, they’re abiding by your decision. She thinks it’s because of Skye.”

I shrugged, “It doesn’t matter to me why they’re following the policy decision, just that they’re following it. And his work?”

“Has been good. The team out there has gelled very nicely.”

“And his review?”

“Will be positive.”

“So...”

“I still don’t trust him.”

I was sure it was Dave’s puritanical streak that was driving the extreme distrust. I had my own qualms about Terry, but he had never, ever let his personal issues affect his work. And in the end, that was what mattered, and I knew Dave well enough that he would go ‘by the book’ with regard to evaluating Terry’s work and value to NIKA.

“Understood. Do you want to make a formal issue of Jodie?”

Dave smiled and shook his head, “If we take it to the Executive Committee, Elyse and Cindi will back you. And so would the Board. It’s not important enough to do that, so long as it remains rare.”

“I can’t promise never, Dave, but this is the end of the line, so to speak, with hiring college students I know personally. Well, until some of the cousins are old enough.”

“I have a hundred bucks that says none of your kids or my kids wants ANYTHING to do with computers!”

“No bet, Dave!” I chuckled. “The only one of my kids who sees a computer as anything other than a glorified typewriter or a way to get news or find research material is Michael, and he’s only really interested in robotics.”

“And Peter and Nicky have probably heard enough computer talk from Mom and Dad to turn them off permanently. I do think we have to draw the line at hiring the kids of employees as interns.”

“Of management? I can see that. Of staff? I’d find it harder to make that a blanket policy. Can we defer this until one of the kids enrolls in college?”

Dave nodded, “Sure. It’s just one of those things that popped into my mind. I take it you’re still asking off-the-wall questions in your interviews.”

“It works, Dave. I know your team does the evaluation of technical skills. I’m more concerned with fit and personality.”

“Don’t you risk monoculture?”

“It’s a common problem that hiring managers hire people who look and think like they do, but you know I’m much more interested in the candidate having an open mind and having the right attitude. Not to beat a dead horse, but I suspect you’d prefer not having to stop bringing the priest in to bless the office after Epiphany each year.”

“True.”

“Or having someone freak out because we say ‘Merry Christmas’ or, from the other side, because people put up Halloween decorations. You’ve heard the horror stories.”

“The evangelical Christian at SPSS who complained to Jack Noonan about using the phrase ‘Evangelize Statistics’ as a slogan and putting up signs all over the workplace.”

“Exactly,” I agreed. “Both extremes are equally bad, and I’d much rather do our best to weed out the candidates who might complain like that SPSS employee or like Maddie.”

“How do you deal with the person who gives the answer they think you want to hear, rather than what they believe?”

“Do YOU want that person working here? Someone who says what you WANT to hear versus telling you the unvarnished truth? Someone who goes with social convention rather than think for themselves?”

Dave laughed, “Never mind! I know I can’t win this argument with you, even if I wanted to, which, obviously, I don’t. How will you deal with someone who complains about the questions?”

“It’ll depend on the complaint. I’m not asking any illegal questions. And the ‘participation trophy’ question, when I decide to use it, is about philosophy, not politics or morals. And I learn a lot about people by asking my Star Trek captain question.”

Dave laughed, “You and Julia are of one mind on that one. I still say Picard is a better captain than Sisko.”

“I’ll leave you two to fight that one out at home! And to make up afterwards! Are we OK?”

“Yes. I told Julia I was going to talk to you about it, but I wasn’t going to make a stink. You give us a tremendous, and some would say ridiculous, amount of freedom to run our teams. That’s why it feels so strange when you make decisions which are usually in our domains.”

“I always appreciate the talks, Dave. You help keep me honest and on the straight and narrow. Or at least reasonably close to it!”

Dave laughed, “Your nodding acquaintance with the ‘straight and narrow’ is similar to a Star Trek captain’s acquaintance with the Prime Directive!”

I laughed with him, “Oh so true!”

“But it works, Steve. As much as I might object to some things you do, it works.”

“Thanks, Dave.”

We shook hands and left the small office. Dave went back to his workstation, and I headed upstairs to my office.

December 21, 1995, Chicago, Illinois

“Where do I hang the mistletoe?” Elyse asked Alex when she and I arrived early at the bistro early on Thursday evening.

“Over my head if Steve’s offering kisses,” Sam teased.

“Ignore her,” Alex laughed. “She’s in a mood.”

“When are you due?” I smirked.

“How the HELL did YOU know that?” Alex demanded.

“She has the look,” I said. “I’ve seen it once or twice.”

Elyse smacked my arm playfully, “You’ve CAUSED it seven times!”

Eight if you counted Becky, but I wasn’t going to have THAT conversation with Alex and Sam.

“In all seriousness,” Sam said. “Are you sure you should put that up at a company gathering?”

Elyse smirked, “It was meant to tease you and Alex, and obviously it worked. Is everything ready?”

“Who do you think I am?” Alex asked, sounding offended. “Ronald McDonald?”

“You know,” Sam said soberly, “now that you mention it, there IS an uncanny resemblance!”

“Seven more months of this,” Alex sighed.

“You didn’t complain about the OTHER side effect last night!” Sam said playfully.

“Sam...” Alex warned.

I chuckled, “I’ve seen THAT side effect more than once! Enjoy it, Alex. It’ll help make up for the three months after the baby is born when you get zero sleep!”

“I was thinking of turning the small private dining room into a hiding place!”

“She’ll find you,” I said firmly. “New mothers have an uncanny knack for it. Something about a combination of hormones and a wedding ring!”

“Hah!” Elyse and Sam both exclaimed.

“Anyway,” Alex said with a wan smile, “back to business. Kimmy and your new office manager are in the back room making sure all the envelopes are in order.”

“Thanks, Alex!”

We went to the small back room to let Kimmy and Eve know we had arrived.

“Mistletoe!” Kimmy squealed. “Hold it up, Elyse!”

“Kimmy...” I warned, but I was laughing.

Elyse smirked and held the sprig above my head. Kimmy quickly stepped over and gave me a soft, closed-mouth kiss, which I returned, and then she stepped back and winked.

“That was NOT what I expected, Kimmy!” Eve laughed. “I half-expected you to reinterpret the meaning!”

“I have to stay on the correct side of the line with the boss. Gary would never understand, and Steve would never do anything to cause me to violate my vows. Of course, what I THOUGHT about doing is a whole other thing!”

Elyse, Eve, and I laughed, and I was pleased with the restraint Eve had shown. I almost immediately reproved myself for that thought, as she had made it clear she knew how to conduct herself, and she had behaved impeccably. Even Elyse, who was VERY observant, had no idea what was going on.

“Why bring the mistletoe?” Eve asked.

“As a joke with Alex and Sam,” Elyse replied. “Several years ago there was a bet about a kiss between Steve and Sam. Alex has seriously mellowed since then. I need to get rid of it before it causes any MORE trouble!”

She walked over and dropped it in the trash can in the corner.

“Where are your wives?” Eve asked.

“They’ll be here shortly,” I said. “They’re coming from home. Kara will go home with me, but Jess has to leave about 9:20pm to go to work.”

“That stinks.”

I shrugged, “It’s only temporary. A little over a year from now the new ER will open and they’ll hire a bunch of Attendings and Jess will have a choice of a better shift. She wants the 6:00am to 4:00pm shift with overall responsibility for medical students. She’ll probably get it, if not right away, in a year, given they won’t ever make her Chief Attending.”

“Why?”

“A long story, but she had a breakdown during her Residency, and that black mark has followed her every step of the way. She should have been Chief Resident, but the hospitals all refused because of that breakdown. Maybe someday she’ll have a chance, but not anytime soon. Anyway, is there anything else that needs to be done?”

“No,” Kimmy said. “We’re all set. I also checked with Mario and Barbara, and everyone made it to Pittsburgh or Colorado Springs for the other regional parties. No delays or problems with flights.”

“You heard about the American Airlines plane that crashed into the mountain last night in Colombia, right?” Eve asked.

I nodded, “I did. I read that the airport didn’t have radar because it was blown up by FARC a few years ago, and that might have contributed to the plane being off course.”

“It sure sounds like controlled flight into terrain,” she replied. “I was surprised there were five survivors.”

“Me too. Hitting a mountain at speed tends to be uniformly fatal. But weird stuff happens. Anyway, I REALLY don’t need this conversation when our staff is flying.”

“Pittsburgh?” Kimmy asked.

I nodded, “Yes.”

I heard voices and the four of us went back to the expanded main dining room to see our colleagues arriving in small groups. The extra space Alex had created had allowed us to be a bit more expansive with our invitations than we had in the past. From the Board, only Al and Karl would be attending, with their wives. Kurt and Kathy and Pete and Melanie joined us, as did Jamie and Jackie, Samantha and Brian, Jeri and Howard, Jennifer and Josie, Bethany and Tom, and Jon and Amanda.

Elyse pulled me aside just before it was time to be seated.

“Sorry about the mistletoe,” she said quietly. “I didn’t mean for that to happen.”

I smiled, “It’s OK. That’s the first and only time Kimmy has ever done something like that, but you and Eve both know the situation.”

“I was happy Eve didn’t even tease about doing that,” Elyse said. “I was very worried about her.”

“There’s no need to worry,” I said. “She knows exactly how she’s expected to behave.”

“Good,” Elyse said just as Alex called for everyone to take their seats.

The party came off without a hitch, as did everything that Kimmy planned and Alex was involved in. Jessica left as planned, but Kara and I didn’t arrive home until just after midnight. We went right to bed and were quickly asleep.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.