Living Next Door to Heaven 3: What Were They Thinking? - Cover

Living Next Door to Heaven 3: What Were They Thinking?

Copyright© 2018 by aroslav

Chapter 20: The Great Debate

“I don’t know,” I said to my friend Martin. “If you look at the whole thing the way they explained it, it’s a good agreement. Especially since I’m only going to let her go out with a group anyway. It tells me the group she’s with is safe. I just don’t want to think of her in that light. She’s still a little girl.”

We’d met for coffee as we often did when I had a break that coincided with his many trips to the school board office. He’d won election to the Board three years ago and his group won a majority in the election a year ago. They’d made him President of the Board this year and he was exercising a strong will in guiding the Concerned Taxpayers group. They were fiscal conservatives and the school budget had been tightened significantly under their guidance.

“Kids don’t have the same discipline we had growing up. Parents just shuffle them off to the school and turn them loose. It’s a disgrace,” he said.

“You know very well that’s not what I do,” I retorted.

“Of course not! But look around you. Our church is one of the last bastions of decency in the community. The Methodist church just admitted a colored family as members. I’d expect that of the Catholics. And the Unitarians ... They aren’t even Christian. Sure, there are other preachers besides Pastor Clark who preach the gospel, but we are headed for a revival among the people of God.”

“The school isn’t the church.”

“We need to get each day started with a prayer and the pledge of allegiance. That’s the way it was when we were in school. Even in third grade, my classmates were ready to pound the Japs. There’s no patriotism in the school. We have a history teacher in the junior high who has admitted to socialist leanings. A commie in our school! Not once we get a new superintendent. We’ll clean up that mess.”

Martin had taken me under his wing soon after Bea and I moved back to Indiana. He was part of why we chose our church after visiting several. He’d been on the welcoming committee who visited us afterward. His wife cooed over baby Cassandra and was often the babysitter of choice when she was little. Sadly, she’d passed away only a couple years later of some virus. Martin had thrown himself into church and community service, leasing out most of his farm so he could do more volunteer work. He was a good man.

Over the years, though, he’d become a bit harsher without his wife to temper his spirit.


I wasn’t expecting the storm that hit the second week of school that fall, though. Cassandra was a sophomore and there had been little contact with her dating group over the summer—at least little with the boys. I had to rein in my emotions regarding what girls she was spending time with. The cheerleaders she spent time with ... Even for an old conservative like me, seeing a busty girl in tight clothes and having the word ‘cheerleader’ appended to her name lights up a warning flare that screams ‘woman of loose morals’. Perhaps it was my own high school fantasies that were speaking rather than the girls themselves. Bea assured me that the girls were an important part of growing up and socializing. And Cassie did seem to be blossoming.

At least Brian Frost was gone for the summer.

I didn’t even hear about the new rules instituted at school until Sunday when Martin gave me a copy.

“Nathan Dewey, our new superintendent, is going to put a stop to the degenerate behavior around that school. And he has the full support of the board. We’ve already pulled down the cost of building the new school and have avoided some serious legal problems that were on the horizon regarding the space required for the school and facilities. Those liberals were running out of control,” he said.

“Is Mr. Dewey coming to our church?”

“No. He’s Baptist and is attending First. They are good people over there and it wouldn’t be proper to have him attending the same church as the President of the Board.”

“Congratulations.”

“Congratulate me when we get that cesspool drained and cleaned up. We’ve re-instituted reciting the pledge at the beginning of the day and it is to be followed by one minute of silence for prayer. Since we aren’t leading an actual prayer, we’re free from the ban but everyone gets the point.”

“Sounds like things are on track for a good year,” I laughed.


There were only three points on the new school regulations with nearly a page of description for each. It really only clarified things that we thought were a part of the school policy in the first place. The dress code was respectable. School was no place for displays of affection between students. It certainly had never been so when I was in school. Emily and I had an intense relationship for some time but it was well-hidden from school. And I was all for the zero tolerance policy. I figured even Brian Frost would get behind that since he’d been on the receiving end of a gang’s attack just two years ago. It was a good thing.

I couldn’t imagine how strong the students’ reaction would be to the heavy-handed approach the Board took. A number of congratulatory comments were passed around at church Sunday and Pastor Clark preached a rousing sermon on the church’s responsibility to influence politics and to return morality to the schools. He had quite a list of things beyond what the Board had dictated that he wanted improved in our educational system and even endorsed several candidates for the November election who were known conservatives. Sunday afternoon, I took my wife and daughter to the lunch buffet at China Garden.

“How are you settling in with school this year, Cassandra?” I asked. “I’m sure it has been good to see all your friends again after the summer.”

“School is a very unhappy place, Daddy.” I hadn’t heard such a negative response from her in nine years of school.

“Is someone picking on you? There are rules against that,” I declared. I was ready to go to the school on Monday and lay down the law. She didn’t answer me directly.

“Mommy, I’m wondering if you could take me to the fabric store. Shipshewana would be best. They’d have both simple colors and patterns for a new dress. I bet they even have those little white bonnets.”

“Uh ... we could make a trip...”

“Cassandra? What is going on?” I demanded. My ‘father’ voice carried through most of the restaurant, I’m afraid.

“The school administration seems to believe we should all be Amish. I’m just getting a new wardrobe ready.”

“I don’t think anyone is asking that of you. What do you do in school that is against the new policy?”

“Oh, nothing, Daddy. You’ve always been much stricter. I had hopes, though, that one day I would get to grow up.” She stood from the table and went to fill another plate from the buffet. I turned to Bea.

“What is that about?”

“Based on what I’ve heard noised about among the mothers, I’d say the students are on the verge of an outright rebellion. Maria Davis told me that the regulations had been so tightly enforced at the dance after the game Friday night that the students had all left and gone to the drive-in.”

“That’s ridiculous. None of them should have been doing anything against the new policy in the first place. Certainly not Cassandra.”

“Of course not, dear. But she will rebel, too. Only you know your daughter. She will rebel by taking obedience to the extreme. Dressing like an Amish woman is completely within the dress code. I’m afraid the Board is out of touch with the times, John. You didn’t abide by such strict rules when you were in school twenty-five years ago.”

“We had no need for these rules. We were taught proper behavior at home.”

“As we’ve taught Cassie. But we are underestimating the response to the situation.” Cassandra returned to the table with a full plate. I don’t know where she puts so much food. She’s still thin as a rail. “Did you have a color in mind, dear? I know pale blue is very popular but I’ve also seen some of the girls in yellow. There are even a few prints that seem to be okay—especially gingham.”

“Oh, I would feel just like Anne of Green Gables if I had a blue gingham dress,” my daughter said excitedly. I let the conversation go where it would and tried not to be critical. I feared, though, that this was only the beginning.


“Oh, everything will settle down after the debate,” Martin said when we met for lunch the next week.

“What debate?”

“The debate teacher at the high school—Mrs. Hammer, I believe her name is—approached the Board with a novel idea for getting student buy-in and capitulation to the new policy. She’ll have two sides debate a proposition to rescind the new policy. Of course, it will have no bearing on the actual outcome. We’ve no intention of reversing it. But it will give the students an opportunity to vent and let one of their own convince them that it is for the better. Really, a brilliant plan. Dewey approved it almost at once,” Martin said.

“What if you lose the debate? Won’t that make the students even angrier?” I asked.

“There’s not much chance of that. First of all, Mrs. Hammer has assured us that she weighted the scales, so to speak, by putting their strongest speaker on the side of maintaining the rules and their weakest on the side of rescinding them. And if that weren’t enough, the school board will judge the debate. We have a supermajority. With Dewey also sitting as a judge, we will have six of ten votes guaranteed,” Martin said.

“Nine?”

“In addition to the school board and superintendent, there will be two independent judges from other schools,” he said. “Even if by some chance they vote against us, we can discount them as having been brought in to make the students look good.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.