Seven Years of Hope - Cover

Seven Years of Hope

Copyright© 2018 by Shiina Ai

Prologue 3: The End of All Things

“Hold the line!” General Falrus, the grand commander of all allied armies bellows his orders. His voice loud and powerful, enhanced by his personal charisma and command magic that even the front line troops two miles in front of him are able to hear him clearly.

“Hold the line! You are humanity’s last line of defence. Do not falter. We must delay them here! Now!”

General Falrus looks at the four lines of defense before him stretching throughout the wheat fields east of Gralnika. These men who stand before the city of Gralnika are truly the last line of defense. Not only for humanity, they are the last line of defense for all who live.

After all, the mountain people were eaten to the last man by strange monsters that came out of the shadows of their caves two seasons earlier. The short folks succumbed to a mysterious plague that wiped them out the year before. The fae folks disappeared so mysteriously that not one scholar could offer a theory. The bird folks escaped in fear to the west, hoping that the rumoured continent of Naksa existed. The merfolks were eaten by monsters that rose from the deep oceans. And the most powerful creatures, the red and gold dragons were wiped out by who knows what and who knows when. If not for the Saint of Starsilver journeying to their nests and finding only bones, none would’ve known that the good dragons were all dead.

As for the soldiers, they know in their hearts that they are all that’s left. They toughen their resolve, hoping that with their sacrifice, there will be future for those they left behind. Despite the increasing casualty, they stand firm, unmoving, awaiting the last battle of their lives.

To some, it is for their families who are being transported through a magical portal to gods know where, far in the western part of the continent. To some, it is a matter of national pride, for they will not admit that their nation is weaker than mere monsters. To some, it is their belief that their commanders will stand with them through thick and thin. To some, it is their faith that the Priestess of the Holy Song will be able to sway the gods to join their fight.

For those who fight for their families, they fight only to buy time for the Twelve Heavenly Maidens. For these maidens are the only help granted by the gods. These maidens, blessed by the gods and ordained by the Saint of Starsilver are the only ones left who can protect their families and loved ones. The only reason for them to stay and fight is to delay the forces of doom for as long as they can. The longer they can hold the enemy off, the more time the Twelve Heavenly Maidens will have to gather the survivors and escape through the portal.

Praises to Grexia the Sailor, may she forever guides the sailors and merchants. Praises to Illumia of the Dawn, may she protect our children and future. Praises to Allyn Who Persevere, who rewards hard work and blesses diligence. Praises to Miol The Shield, may our homes be forever protected. Praises to Amarita of Desire, who blesses those who pursue their goals. Praises to Unar Who Is Passionate, who blesses families to be fruitful. Praises to Lenya Who Entertains, may she give hope to those without. Praises to Nuei the Guide of Souls, may she bring the dead to eternal peace. Praises to Maika The Crafter, may she guide their prosperity. Praises to Irua The Guard, may she forever protect their lives. Praises to Nila of the Dusk, may she continue to protect their souls. Praises to Ya of Abundance, may she feed them always.

As for the rest, their only hope is that they will not fight alone. For this is the last hour of all who live and it is this last hour that they must fight, even to the last blood. Doom has come to their world, and they shall fight so that those they are protecting can prosper, or die doing their best. To these men and women, they are aware they will die today, and they have resolved to fight their hardest to bring down as many of the enemy as possible and buy as much time that their lives can exchange.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.