A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 10 - Bridget
Chapter 50: Initiation?

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 50: Initiation? - Steve's interior life has been in turmoil for months as NIKA has grown too large to be managed as a small business, and he's once again trying to balance his own impulses around what's best for him against what's best for those he loves most. While took a European Birgit coming to America to set Steve's story in motion, it'll be an American Bridget in Europe that helps him finally achieve «Lagom» and bring it to a close… at least until his eldest son and daughter hit puberty.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

January 11, 1997, Chicago, Illinois

“You know, Penny’s idea isn’t half bad,” Dave grinned after we ordered our meals at Medici.

“I know several others who would insist they be first in line,” I replied. “He’s going to try to twist your concern about the ‘Young Ones’ into some sort of proof we knew what we were doing was wrong.”

“Oh, I have no doubt, but I have a paper trail showing exactly why I made my objections. I made sure I documented them in my reports to Julia and in emails to her as well. And Kimmy should have all of that in her meeting notes as well.”

I nodded, “Absolutely. The key will be that our good friend will try to twist it to his advantage. Deborah will be in touch to prep you for your deposition. We’ll cover any costs you might have, obviously.”

“I appreciate that.”

“So, on to happier topics, you said you had some plans for the software for Tara.”

Dave nodded, “I do. I have two graduate students who are interested in working with me on the project, which we’d all be able to use for our PhDs. Charlie Bauer will approve some funds for us because we’ll share any research with the department. I take it you’re cool with that?”

“Yes. So long as any intellectual property is jointly owned by the LLC which I’m going to set up to handle my side of it. I take it the usual ‘grad student labor’ rates apply?”

Dave laughed, “Yes, we have to adhere to the university’s guidelines, because the three of us will officially work for the department. Your funding would be in the form of a research grant.”

“Then I’m going to arrange for Tara to fly in so we can sit down and do a proper design. She’s more than happy to use software that isn’t fully functional to the spec we work out - she’ll take it in bits and pieces, so long as the database schema is compatible.”

“OK. We’ll use some of the same ‘agile’ techniques we developed in Scott’s class and while I was working at NIKA. Basically, we’ll work out the specific functionality, and modularize it as much as possible, with the idea that modules themselves can have multiple iterations with continually increasing functionality. You don’t have an issue if I use this in the Software Engineering course, do you?”

“Absolutely not. Remember, I plan to spin this off completely in the future, with Tara getting a piece of the action, and the University getting their share as well.”

“Changing subjects slightly, how are you handling recruiting this year?”

“Bob Larson is going to take the lead on that, but I gave him specific instructions that anyone who has a letter of recommendation from you is someone we probably want to hire. We’ll have openings for software engineers, consultants, and support staff. You can give Bob a call with the names, even before he schedules the hiring events. We’ll make offers even before the usual time if we feel the candidates are a good fit.”

“No ‘participation trophy’ supporters, I promise.”

“I had a long talk with Bob about that and my conclusion at the end of it, was that we didn’t do enough to help her see things from a different perspective from the beginning. I’m not saying that would have changed the outcome, but you never know. Bob is going to put together something which clearly lays out our philosophy and then make sure that every potential hire reads it. We feel they’ll self-select out when they find out we don’t tolerate ‘whingers’ as Kajri calls them.”

“Sounds good. Oh, before I forget, everything is set for Albert to join our pack. You’ll need to get his uniforms, but there’s a store on West Adams where you can get everything. He needs a Wolf uniform, which is for second graders - shirt, pants, belt, socks, cap, neckerchief, and slide. They’ll have everything in stock.”

“I’ll take care of that on Monday.”

“There is one thing you probably haven’t considered - to earn his badge, he has to complete the religious requirements.”

I suppressed a strong urge to roll my eyes.

“Greek or Russian Orthodox is fine,” I replied. “Obviously I don’t have an issue given Jesse’s involvement.”

“OK. I’ll work something out with our priest. It won’t be exactly ‘kosher’, to borrow a phrase, but we’ll work it out.”

“Any Buddhist members?” I asked.

“We’re in Hyde Park! What do you think?”

I chuckled, “I’d be OK with that, too. Or Shinto. But I suspect it’ll just be easier for you to handle it for us. You know I’m happy to participate as necessary.”

“I’ll take care of it. Are any of the other boys interested?”

“Jesse wouldn’t have time, Matthew is busy with drama and chorus, and Michael is getting into robotics. And you know my girls are all in karate.”

“No budding computer scientists in your family.”

“No. They all see the computer as a tool, and that’s it. And I think I can understand that given what I do for a living.”

“My boys are the same way,” he replied. “In fact, are any of our kids, and I mean the cousins, interested in their parents’ jobs?”

“Nicholas,” I replied, “but he barely knew his dad, so it’s a bit different. Otherwise? Not that I’m aware of. But enough talk about work. How are you doing?”

Dave smiled, “I didn’t realize just how burnt out I was. I guess it was obvious to the rest of you.”

I shook my head, “Not until the very end. It’s something we have to watch out for, but each person presents a unique situation. I thrive on the stress, but I also need to decouple and decompress.”

Dave grinned, “I’m not allowed to ‘decompress’ the way you are!”

“Don’t blame me for the deal YOU made!”

“I have no complaints,” he said firmly. “But the fantasy life? Well...”

Our food arrived and we made small talk while we ate, talking about Chicago politics, the weather, and the plane that had crashed on Thursday en route from Cincinnati to Detroit, which had killed 29 passengers and crew. When we finished eating, we shook hands, and I told Dave I’d see him later that evening for Guys’ Night.

January 14, 1997, Chicago, Illinois

“I’m glad I’m not in this one!” Melissa declared when we sat down for lunch at Takumi on Tuesday.

“I’m sure I could put the right word in Dante’s ear,” I teased.

“Oh God, no! He couldn’t reasonably work around those two key patents, so he shifted away from our market. I’m quite happy with that, and I want to keep it that way!”

“Trust me, I wouldn’t wish Dante on my worst enemy, let alone a business partner and good friend. But this time he’s done.”

“I’ll wait for the movie!”

“Good plan! How are things otherwise?”

“Fine. Michelle seems back to normal, I guess. She and Alexi are dating.”

“I think that’s a good thing.”

“It’s weird, though, because I’ve never seen them hold hands or kiss or cuddle, even though they spend a lot of time together.”

I nodded, “That’s about par for the course, I think.”

“But you two...”

“Whatever might or might not have happened, all I will say is that what you described is exactly what I would expect with regard to Michelle’s philosophy. And I think, honestly, we shouldn’t discuss Michelle. She values her privacy, and I want to honor that. If there’s something she thinks I need to know, she’ll tell me.”

“She’s not upset with you or anything.”

I nodded, “I understand, but if she wants me involved in her life, or Nathaniel’s life, in any way, she’ll ask. Just let it be, please.”

“Sure. How is business, besides Dante?”

“Firing on all cylinders. Adjusting to running a much bigger company is a real challenge, but I’m bringing in the right people to help. You?”

“I need to hire a few field engineers, but otherwise, we’re making our numbers and everyone is happy.”

“Jennifer certainly is,” I replied. “How is Callie doing?”

“She’s doing great work and I’m very happy with her. She did tell me to say ‘hi’ when I saw you.”

“You can say ‘hi’ back. As I’ve always said, everyone should get a second chance. Third chances are a different story. How is Mark?”

“His usual self. He and Jennifer work really well together, his wife and kids are fine, and he’s making a lot of money, so he’s happy.”

“And you?”

“«Comme ci comme ça».”

“If business is fine, it has to be in the guy department.”

“I swear, every unmarried guy in his late 30s or early 40s is seriously messed up.”

“I don’t think you need to limit your statement to unmarried guys or limit it to their 30s and 40s!”

“Good point,” she agreed with a wan smile. “But more than most. We’re talking guys who have been divorced or never married, and both of those situations make you wonder.”

“Uhm, not to belabor the obvious, but YOU never married, either.”

“By choice. Most of the guys I meet who aren’t married, well, there’s a reason they never found someone to marry.”

“My dad didn’t marry until he was in his forties, and that was his first, and only, marriage.”

“He seems like a great guy, but where the heck do you find a great guy who is unmarried and doesn’t have some sort of issues?”

“Honestly? That’s a good question. May I suggest a radical option?”

Melissa smirked, “I am NOT joining your harem!”

“That wasn’t what I had in mind,” I replied with a grin. “What about a younger guy? You know, someone who is say, twenty-seven or twenty-eight? I know social convention says ‘no’, but Jess is a couple of years older than I am. I know lots of lawyers and doctors and naval officers in the right age range, too. And, to be blunt, you’re young, sexy, smart, and successful. If you can overlook the social norms, I’m sure you could find a guy who didn’t have the same set of problems you’re encountering.”

“So find a young stud, is that it?” she asked with an arched eyebrow.

“Why not? Honestly, if what you’ve tried in the past has failed, why not try something different. Your other options are to settle or to give up. Personally, I’d go for the younger guy if I were you.”

“I like your Navy friends, but I can’t see myself being married to someone in the military. And doctors don’t do much for me, no offense.”

I chuckled, “I have the same general opinion, but there are some good ones out there, such as Al Barton, Malik Washington, Gina Swanson, and Mary Whittaker.”

“And your wife, you jerk!” she laughed.

“I might have a bias in that regard,” I grinned. “So, lawyer it is. I figure about six feet, reasonably good shape, mellow, and loves cats.”

Melissa laughed softly and shook her head, “I feel like I’m running a personal ad!”

“I have a couple of people in mind. One of them works for the same firm as Jamie Ferguson. The other one just moved here from California. One of our California clients opened a Chicago office as of January 1st. He’s in his late twenties, is single, and doesn’t know anyone in Chicago. Prime pickings, if you ask me.”

“If I ask you to set this up, what’s the price?”

“Don’t tempt me!” I chuckled. “But as always, it’s a favor for a friend. Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll ask you for one.”

“So now it’s ‘Don Stephen’? If so, I think I’d rather go to bed with you than owe you a favor!”

“You’ve wanted to go to bed with me since that first dinner where we met! You simply chose not to because I’m married.”

“Don’t be so smug!”

“Tell me it’s not true,” I grinned.

The kimono-clad waitress interrupted our banter to take our order, and then Melissa and I continued.

“You know I can’t because I all but admitted that! I still want to, but I always come back to not sleeping with a married guy.”

I nodded, “I know, and believe it or not, I completely understand. You have to stay true to what you believe to be correct, and not worry about what anyone else thinks in that regard. Don’t do what you feel is wrong, even if other people think it’s OK. But the flip side is to not impose your beliefs on others.”

“What about laws? Don’t they impose beliefs?”

“They say, as a society, we elect to punish or not punish a specific behavior. Or to command a specific behavior under threat of punishment. You still have to decide for yourself if what you are doing is right or wrong, and accept the consequences. I agree with some things, such as punishing murder. I disagree with punishing prostitution or drug use.”

“But if nobody followed the law, we’d have anarchy!”

I chuckled, “Remember, in many instances, the law simply codifies proper civil and social behavior. Do you not commit murder because of the penalties, or because it’s wrong?”

“Leaving Dante out of the equation?”

“Yes,” I grinned.

“Then because it’s wrong. The same reason you would never rape someone.”

I nodded, “Exactly. Another example - I have state and city permits for the gun in my shoulder holster. Think the gang members have them? And which of the two are likely to use the gun in a crime?”

“I agree with you that ‘gun control’ laws only affect those who generally wouldn’t use the gun illegally. The criminals won’t follow the law. All it does is provide severe punishment for possessing or using the gun illegally.”

“And think that through for a moment. If the penalty for simply having the gun is outrageous, then maybe you’ll decide to shoot the cop instead of surrendering.”

“Are you actually arguing that ‘gun control’ laws increase violence?”

“I am. Both between the gang members and against the police. Each side escalates because the penalties become even harsher, and remember the source of almost all of this violence.”

“The ‘War on Drugs’,” Melissa replied. “The government has made drug dealing so lucrative that it’s worth killing people over. And using violence to defend your organization from others. Like during Prohibition.”

“Yep. Exactly like Prohibition. Al Capone, despite all his crimes, was providing people with what they wanted - booze and sex. The government decided they shouldn’t have either. I’d say the end result was that on philosophical grounds, Capone was right. But the government made him who he was! What would he have been if liquor and prostitution had been legal? Nothing. A two-bit hood trying to collect protection money from businesses. The same goes for gambling, though the states are starting to wise up to that and legalize it. But we’re off topic here. You have to stick to your standards of behavior.”

“But don’t those change sometimes?”

“Sure they do; when you have a good reason to change them. I don’t think you do, and I think you’d regret it, despite it being very, very enjoyable.”

“I’m not sure if I should laugh or punch you in the nose!”

“I do have a bit of experience with women, and my own assessment is that I would enjoy it very much. And I think you would, too. But that’s not a good reason to do it. Maybe it is for a horny High School or college student, but not for two mature adults.”

“Wait! It’s OK for High School or college students to have sex just for enjoyment but not adults?”

“Different stages in life call for different behaviors. And so do circumstances. Let me rephrase it and say that it’s not a good reason for you and me to do it, which is what I meant when I said ‘two mature adults’.”

“You’re telling me I shouldn’t change my mind?”

“I’m telling you to consider what happens if you do change your mind, and then change your mind about changing your mind. It’ll ruin our relationship, and that’s the last thing I want to happen.”

“But owing you a favor is likely FAR more dangerous than potentially regretting getting my brains screwed out!”

“Don’t be so sure,” I replied.

The waitress brought our food and after I said ‘«Itadakimasu»’ we began eating.

“Why do you say that? I mean, about not being sure?”

“You can always refuse a favor, which means there won’t be another one granted. You can’t take back having sex.”

“But I’d ruin our friendship if I refused to return the favor.”

“I wouldn’t say ‘ruin’, I’d say change. It would just mean that for certain things, I couldn’t trust you. But it wouldn’t mean we’d stop doing business together. But it would be business, more than personal.”

“I know you well enough that those two things are so intertwined that it WOULD change them in such a way as to harm them.”

“Maybe, but in the end, this is all idle speculation because you aren’t going to change your mind about sleeping with a married man. Let me arrange a lunch for you with the attorney and you can take it from there.”

“You know what? Why not? What’s the worst thing that could happen? I don’t like him so I don’t see him again. No biggie.”

“Then I’ll set it up.”

“Thanks,” she said with a smile.

January 18, 1997, Chicago, Illinois

On Saturday afternoon, the doorbell rang. I wasn’t expecting anyone and except for Kara, everyone was out of the house - Jessica was at work, Maria Cristina was at the library, Elyse and her boys were with Eduardo, the other kids were scattered around at friends’ houses, and Winter was exploring, as she usually did on Saturdays. I got up from my desk, walked past the ‘Indian’ room where Kara was grading papers, and went to the front door.

I opened the door and was greeted by two smiling, beautiful faces, very likely mother and daughter. Both had long reddish-brown hair which was partly hidden by their woolen hats, brown eyes, what appeared to be athletic figures, though with heavy parkas, I could have been mistaken, and winning smiles - a pair of ‘Steve types’ if there ever were any.

“Hi, can I help you?”

“We have some information we’ve been sharing with your neighbors,” the ‘mom’ said, handing me a copy of Awake! magazine.

I suppressed both a sigh and a chuckle. They were Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I imagined the fun I could have with them, both in terms of debating theology AND, being who I was, as part of a mother-daughter threesome! Of course, talking hyper-religious JWs into bed would present a consummate challenge, one I was up for, but felt the chances of success verged on nil, so the effort would be totally wasted. But that didn’t mean I couldn’t have a bit of fun with them.

“You’re members of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society,” I replied. “More commonly known as the Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

“You know about our organization?” the ‘mom’ asked.

I nodded, “Founded in 1881 by Charles Taze Russell for the purposes of distributing Bible tracts and teaching the Bible.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.