A Well-Lived Life 2 - Book 10 - Bridget
Chapter 20: Winter or Summer?

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Coming of Age Sex Story: Chapter 20: Winter or Summer? - Steve's interior life has been in turmoil for months as NIKA has grown too large to be managed as a small business, and he's once again trying to balance his own impulses around what's best for him against what's best for those he loves most. While took a European Birgit coming to America to set Steve's story in motion, it'll be an American Bridget in Europe that helps him finally achieve «Lagom» and bring it to a close… at least until his eldest son and daughter hit puberty.

Caution: This Coming of Age Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Mult   Workplace   Polygamy/Polyamory   First   Slow  

October 12, 1996, Rutherford, Ohio

Rutherford, Ohio was a relatively small town; but then again compared to Chicago, Cincinnati was a relatively small town. Rutherford was bigger than Milford, but not by a lot. It had the regional trauma center, the BMV, and the Harding County courthouse and other government buildings, as well as the Sheriff’s Department. I could imagine Milford being like Rutherford if all those facilities had been in Milford, instead of Batavia, which was the Clermont County seat.

I pulled into the parking lot of the Star Light Motel just before 2:00pm Ohio time, stopped in front of the office, and shut off the engine of my BMW. I looked down the line of cars and mostly saw Fords and Chevys, remembering that the only BMWs I’d ever seen regularly were Becky’s and Ben’s. I got out of the car and walked inside.

“Good afternoon!” a young man said.

“Hi. I have a reservation. Last name is Adams.”

“Yes, sir! You’re in room 14, one of our suites. If you’ll sign the registration card, I’ll provide the keys. Will you need one set or two?”

“Just one, thanks.”

He pushed a card to me which I filled out and handed back. He handed me the key.

“The room is pre-paid,” he said. “So I don’t need a credit card. Room 14 is at the end of this first building, on the corner.”

“Thank you.”

“If you need anything, just dial 0 on the phone and it’ll ring here at the desk. Somebody is here ‘round the clock.”

I nodded and left the office, then got back into the car, started it, and drove down to a parking spot with a large ‘14’ painted in white. When I’d shut off the engine, I hopped out, retrieved my two bags from the back seat, then walked to the door. After inserting the key, I opened the door and went into the room, setting the bags on the floor just inside the door so I could survey what would be my home for the next two weeks.

The sitting area was spacious, and off to the left was a small kitchenette. I walked through the sitting room to the bedroom, which had a large king-size bed, and then into the bathroom which had a shower and a Jacuzzi. Everything was clean and looked relatively new, despite the 1950s feel. I chuckled because about the only thing missing was the ‘Magic Fingers’ vibrating bed! As Jimmy Buffet sang Put in a quarter / Turn out the light / Magic Fingers makes you feel all right. But I hadn’t seen one of those since the 70s, except on TV or in the movies.

There were two TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room, but I watched so little television, except for the few shows we taped to watch as a family, that I doubted I’d turn them on, except perhaps for the news. The kitchenette was small, with a two-burner electric stove, a mini-fridge, a microwave oven, and a coffee maker. I made a mental list of the things I wanted to get, then unpacked my bags. Once everything was put away, I walked back to the office.

“Could you tell me where I can find a grocery store and a State Liquor Store?”

“About a mile further along Main Street, if you came from Route 50. We have a Kroger’s and the State Store is right next door.”

“Thanks.”

“Is everything satisfactory with your room?”

“It is.”

I left and walked back to the car. I made a trip to Kroger to buy tea, coffee, some mixed nuts for snacks, and some cheese for the same purpose. I went next door to the liquor store and bought a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon. I put the groceries and liquor on the passenger seat, then drove back to the motel and put everything away. Once I’d done that, I changed into sweats and left the room to see if I could map out a morning run.

I walked along Main Street and saw a park with a lake and a path that appeared suitable for jogging. I walked it and decided that five laps would be about right for my morning run. There was also a large grassy area where I could practice my kata. Content that I could keep my morning routine, I explored the town.

I found an A&W and a Frisch’s, and decided that my low-carb diet could survive an A&W burger, fries, and root beer float, so long as I ran after I ate, as well as doing my usual morning run. I also found a miniature golf course, a movie theater, some restaurants, and the usual collection of shops found in small towns, including a bookstore.

Having conducted my basic reconnaissance mission, I walked back to the motel. As I was about to enter the room, I heard my name called and turned to see a tall, brown-haired, mustached man who was perhaps five years older, walking towards me.

“Yes?” I responded.

“Hi, I’m the owner and I just wanted to greet you. We don’t get too many guests who stay with us for two weeks.”

“Steve Adams,” I said, “but you knew that.”

He smiled and nodded, “I did. Paul Reynolds. My wife and I own this place and the restaurant across the street. What brings you here, if I can ask?”

We shook hands.

“I needed to get away from Chicago and there’s a career coach here in town who was recommended to me by someone in Milford.”

“Milford?”

“I went to school there from sixth grade until I graduated, minus a year I spent overseas. Then I moved to Chicago.”

“So you’re from Ohio, then?”

“California originally; we moved to Ohio in ‘72. You’re from around here?”

“My whole life. Same for my wife. You have kids?”

“Seven.”

“Jesus!” he laughed. “That’s crazy! I have two with my wife and one with my ex-wife, though I haven’t seen my son by my ex in a long time. How old?”

“The eldest is ten-and-a-half, the youngest just turned five.”

“Damn! At least one set of twins, right?”

I shook my head, “No. It’s complicated. You have a wife and an ex-wife, I have two wives and two former lovers. I could explain, but it might take all day!”

“Something in the water there in Chicago?” he chuckled.

“Could be!” I replied with a grin.

“What do you do?”

“I own my own computer software and consulting company. How’d you get into the motel business?”

“That’s a story which might take all day as well. Let’s just say that back in 1984 my options were very limited on how I could provide for a wife and kids because of a bit of trouble with the law. I got a job here as the night clerk, and a few years later when the owner wanted to retire, he co-signed a note so I could buy the place from him. We bought the restaurant about four years ago.”

“I’d say you’ve done well for yourself if you started as a night clerk and, from what I infer, a prison record.”

“I hope that doesn’t bother you.”

“You did your time, right?”

“Yes.”

“And you’ve kept your nose clean since?”

He nodded and waved his hand to indicate the motel and restaurant, “Obviously.”

I shrugged, “Then nobody should treat you differently from anyone else.”

“That’s a refreshing attitude. I suspect you mostly want to be left alone, but if there’s anything we can do for you, just ask for me or Liz.”

“Thanks.”

I went into the room and took out my PowerBook and sat down at the desk. I wrote for nearly three hours without a break, then got up and went outside. I needed to get some dinner, and decided the Italian restaurant I’d seen, Lou’s, was a good choice, so long as I could avoid the pasta. I’d had good luck in Chicago with special orders, and figured that at what was likely a family-owned place in a small town, I could do that as well.

I went back inside, changed into white khakis and a blue polo shirt, grabbed my fedora, and walked out of the room. I crossed the street, walked another two blocks, and then walked into the restaurant.

“One, please,” I said to the pretty young woman who greeted me.

“Sure. That’s a cool hat!”

“Thanks.”

She showed me to a booth and handed me a menu.

“Specials are chicken Parm, and spaghetti with meatballs. We have Miller on tap.”

“Would the chef be open to a special order?” I asked.

“He usually is,” she replied. “Let me get your drink and I’ll see if he can come talk to you.”

“Thanks. I’ll just have sparkling water, please.”

“We only have soda water, you know without the syrup that would make it Coke or whatever.”

“That’s fine. On ice, please, with lemon.”

She nodded and went to the soda fountain and filled a glass with ice, then used the nozzle to put soda water into the glass. She put two lemon wedges on a plate and then brought them to the table with the glass.

“Let me get Lou,” she said.

She disappeared into the kitchen and a moment later a short, rotund man in a white apron that showed he’d had a busy day, came to the table.

“Hi! I’m Lou. Winter says you have a special order?”

I nodded, “Could you make chicken Alfredo, but use broccoli instead of pasta?”

“Yeah, I think I can make that work. You on a diabetic diet?”

I smiled, “No, but my medical condition requires a similar diet. I’ll ask the waitress for a salad with no croutons as well.”

“No problem. If there are any other special requests, let me know.”

“Thanks.”

He spoke to Winter who came back to the table.

“Winter is a different name,” I said pleasantly.

“My parents should be taken out and shot! I have two sisters. Want to guess their names?”

“Summer and Autumn,” I replied.

“Obvious, huh?”

“Once you made the comment about your parents, yes. A friend of mine named April named her triplets in a similar way - May, June, and Juli. Spelled with an ‘i’.”

“No way!”

“Truth!”

“You aren’t from around here, are you?”

“Yes and no. I lived in Milford as a teenager, but I’ve been in Chicago for the past fifteen years.”

“Just passing through?”

“I’m actually spending two weeks here, ‘getting away from it all’,” I replied.

“Let me get the rest of your order, Mr... ?”

“Adams. But please, call me Steve.”

“What can I get you besides the Alfredo with broccoli instead of pasta?”

“A small house salad, no croutons, with whatever kind of Italian your house dressing is.”

“Sure. Any appetizers?”

“No, thanks.”

“Let me get the order in, then!”

I nodded and she walked away, and I admired a very cute butt covered by tight blue jeans. She put the order up on a rotating hanger and tapped a bell. Lou took the order and set to work as Winter waited on other guests. As I sat, I enjoyed the ‘homey’ feel of the small-town restaurant, and thought about Elyse’s desire to get out of the city. I’d never do it permanently, but my trip to Oguni had taught me the value of the calm peacefulness that could be found away from the big city.

Winter brought my salad a few minutes later and served it with a smile and a twinkle in her eye. I admired her front, which was just as nice as her back, though the smock she wore over her blouse hid her true contours. Her shiny lips screamed ‘lip gloss’, something I hadn’t encountered in YEARS, and her long brown hair lay attractively over her shoulders.

I was about to take a bite of my salad when I laughed softly to myself. Kara had suggested Summer, a cute blonde, and here I was, feasting my eyes on ‘Winter’, a cute brunette. My rough guess was that she was eighteen, though I knew I could easily be off by a few years either way. As I looked at her, I realized why I was so attracted - she was almost the spitting image of Jennifer Jason Leigh’s ‘Stacy’ in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

I ate my salad, and just as I finished, Winter brought my main course, along with a small bowl of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I thanked her, then sprinkled some cheese onto the Alfredo and began eating. The sauce was excellent, the chicken perfectly cooked, and the broccoli firm. Lou had done an excellent job.

“How is it?” Winter asked.

“Tell Lou, my compliments; this is fantastic!”

“I’ll let him know!” she said with a smile.

She walked into the kitchen and then back out a minute later. I wasn’t surprised when Lou came out about five minutes later.

“This was perfect!” I said.

“Winter says you’re here for a couple of weeks. I hope you’ll come back. I think I can whip up a few other similar dishes if you give me a chance.”

“I’d like that. Thanks.”

“We’re closed Mondays, but otherwise I’m here every night.”

“I’ll be back for sure.”

“Good. Just let Winter know if you need anything at all!”

“Thanks.”

He went back to the kitchen and I finished my meal. Winter came to stand near the booth.

“Our dessert specials are cherry cheesecake, cherry sorbet, or cherry pie.”

I laughed, “I see a pattern!”

“Last week was strawberry, and the week before it was blueberry. Lou likes to do that, except during the Winter, when it’s all chocolate.”

“Chocolate Winter?” I asked with a smirk. “And your lip gloss?”

She nodded, “It’s cherry, of course. And yes, it was strawberry last week. But I couldn’t find blueberry!”

“Hmm,” I said with a silly grin, moving my eyes up and down, “I really love cherries, and it’s hard to decide which cherry dessert I should have?”

“You’re bad!” she laughed.

“It’s much more fun to be bad than good,” I grinned. “I think I have to pass on dessert because of my diet. Well the three you mentioned first, anyway!”

“You’re a real flirt, aren’t you?”

“When I’m in the right mood, yes. And of course there has to be someone to flirt with who won’t get upset.”

“If I didn’t like my male customers flirting, I wouldn’t wait tables! I don’t mind, especially if the customer is good looking.”

“Thanks,” I said with a smile.

“Would you like coffee?” she asked, sounding as if she hoped I’d say ‘yes’.

“Sure,” I said.

She fetched the coffeepot and poured some into a cup which had been upside down on the table. She put the pot away, calculated the cost of my meal and placed the check on the table.

“You can pay me here, or at the register,” she said.

“Thanks.”

She went to get food from the kitchen, served it, then came back to the booth.

“Where are you staying, if you don’t mind my asking?”

“If you don’t mind my flirting, I don’t mind your asking! I’m at the Star Light Motel.”

“Cool. I’ve babysat the Reynolds girls for nearly six years. They’re almost old enough to be by themselves, though.”

“You go to school?”

“I graduated High School back in May.”

“No college?”

“My life took a different direction from what I thought it would.”

“May I ask?”

“My boyfriend joined the Marines and went straight to boot camp when we graduated from Harding High. Right before he left, he gave me a small engagement ring,” she reached up to her neck and drew up a chain with a small diamond ring on it. “He was supposed to come home when he graduated boot camp so we could get married. He got orders to Japan, and instead of coming home, he flew to San Diego and then went to Japan. I got a letter from him telling me he was breaking up with me.”

“Ouch,” I replied.

“Yeah. I cried for a couple of days, then decided there was nothing I could do about it. So I decided to keep my job here while I figure out what I want to do.”

“Sorry to hear that. I’m friends with several Judge Advocates in the Navy. I could probably get him court-martialed if you wanted!”

She laughed, “Nah, forget it. If he didn’t know how good he had it, and what he’s missing, it’s his loss!”

“I like your thinking!”

“One sec!”

She went to another table to check to see if they wanted dessert, then gave them their check. She went to get food from the kitchen, served it, then came back to my booth.

“Sorry.”

“No need to apologize. You’re working.”

“I’m off at 8:00pm.”

“I’m married,” I said, holding up my left hand.

“And you’re a flirt!”

I nodded, “Guilty as charged. Sorry.”

“So all that flirting?” she asked.

“My High School sweethearts say I’m incorrigible!”

“‘Sweethearts’? As in more than one?”

I nodded, “The first one came to terms with the fact that she’s a lesbian. We eventually had a baby together. The other one and I came this,” I held my thumb and forefingers as close together as possible without them touching, “close to marrying. She’s still one of my best friends.”

“So you’re a player, then?” she asked with a smile and an arched eyebrow.

“I suppose some people would say so, yes. But I’m not sure that’s the right way to describe it.”

“One sec!” she said brightly and moved to a booth where someone had signaled her.

Winter refilled the drinks they requested, then checked on her other guests, then came back to talk to me.

“You seem like a nice guy and I like talking to you. Would you get in trouble for buying me a root beer float at A&W?”

“No,” I said. “I wouldn’t.”

“Meet me there at 8:10pm?”

“Sure.”

I finished my coffee, paid Winter, leaving a generous, but not over-the-top, tip, then left the restaurant. I crossed the street, then walked back to the motel. I went into my room and checked my watch. It was still too early for Jessica to be home, so I sat down with my PowerBook and played Civilization II until 7:20pm, when I took out my cell phone and called home.

“Tiger!” Jessica gushed when I said ‘Hello’.

“Hi, Babe! How was your day?”

“Good. Let me put you on speaker.”

She did.

“Hi, Steve!” Kara exclaimed.

“Hi, Honey! How was karate today?”

“Just fine. How was your drive?”

“Smooth. No problems and you know the BMW is great on the open road. I’m all checked in and I just had dinner. Want to hear a funny thing?”

“A girl, right?”

“This IS me we’re talking about,” I chuckled. “A cute waitress who looks just like Jennifer Jason Leigh’s character in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Her name is, get this, ‘Winter’!”

Kara and Jessica both laughed for a good thirty seconds.

“And?”

“And she’s nice and we had a nice talk.”

“You flirted?” Kara asked.

“Yes, I did!”

“Good! And?”

“And I told her I was married.”

“And here I thought you were back to your fun-loving, ‘dally-ancing’ self!”

“I’m buying her a root beer float around 8:15 our time.”

“A root beer float?” Jessica asked. “How old is this girl?”

“Eighteen. She was engaged but her boyfriend joined the Marines and when he finished boot camp, he didn’t come home to marry her as he promised, then shipped out to Japan. I offered to have him court-martialed.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.