Karma and Reincarnation - Cover

Karma and Reincarnation

Copyright© 2018 by happyhugo

Chapter 3

“Gram, stay, and I’ll tell you about everything along with Grady. Overnight my situation has changed a lot. My financial situation has improved considerable. In fact, it is much better than that of Cary’s wife and family. I guess he thought he would live forever. He died and left his two kids and wife without the same cushion I have. There are savings, but it isn’t enough to last them for long.

“By rights, it should have been me who was out in the cold. I’m glad I had a lawyer to go after support for my coming child when I found I was pregnant. I compelled him to buy insurance in case he died. In fact, there is a double indemnity clause that has been triggered. The payout is considerable. Truth; Cary, who I thought so much of was a terrible person. He was a philanderer and except for me didn’t live up to his responsibilities. I feel terrible about the position his wife and two little girls are in. It makes me just want to share some of it.”

I looked at Susan. “You don’t really mean that do you?”

“No, I don’t suppose I do. I have struggled for four years. And I have imposed on Gram for more than two.”

“Talk it over with someone if you are undecided. So, Jake apparently has two half sisters. It is a shame they don’t have as much coming to them as he does. Talk to your lawyer about it and he will meet with the administrator.”

“You are urging me to give it up aren’t you?”

“No, but you should have a clear mind when all is said and done. Now I have some business of my own with you and I was glad to be invited this evening. It concerns your position at work. I’m leaving the department and moving to a different one in Engineering.”

“Oh, no, I can’t lose my job at this time.”

You misunderstand, you are not losing your job. I’ve been asked to propose someone from within to take my place. I have offered your name and the reason why you should move into management. You have until Monday to accept.”

“Will I have to accept a pay cut?”

“No. it should be quite an increase. First though, do you think you can handle the work?”

“I know I can handle the work, but I’ve never managed people before to any great extent. Will someone train me at all?”

“Yes, I will have up to a month to train you. There are some things I’ll suggest to you to change about yourself. This won’t be company policy, necessarily but my suggestions for you to fit in better.”

“Such as?”

“Clothes and hairdo for a couple. Most women supervisors wear a skirt, pale blouse, and a suit coat. I think you should shorten your hair and have it styled. So many women wear their hair long and spend too much time keeping it out of their face. I know you have yours in a bun, which is good, but it is out of style. I’m advising you as a friend only.

“Grady, thank you, I haven’t liked wearing the clothes I do, but that is because I go from work directly to my other job. I won’t be keeping that job now anyway.”

“Good, then I can inform management that you will take the job starting Monday?”

“Yes, certainly. Am I to come to work tomorrow in a more ordinary style?”

“Yes, I won’t mention your change of status until Monday. You’ll spend some time Monday morning with management being interviewed and then, I’ll inform the rest of your workers.” I didn’t know what to say next. I was so pleased that Susan would be my replacement. “Well, I guess I’ll be going along. Tell Jake goodnight for me and I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Goodnight Grady, and thank you so much for putting my name up. I’ll try to prove I’m capable.”

I could always count on Susan being early to work in the morning when she wanted a word with me. She was. “How are you going to do this? I mean how are you going to introduce me to the other girls about my promotion?”

“Maybe not today. I’m going to see if the manager wants to wait until Monday. I notice you have dressed differently like I suggested. Be assured if I say you look very nice, I’m not coming onto you.”

“Oh, you have warned me enough about sexual harassment so I’ll take your comment just as you mean it. Honestly, I feel almost naked with my hair only pulled back and in tighter clothes than how I formerly dressed. I found a different pair of glasses too. Well I’m going out to my cubicle and begin work. Oh, Jake wants to know if you are mowing the lawn tomorrow?”

“Yes, I’ll be over. I want to hug my former wife, Karen. I last hugged her more than 200 years ago.” I grinned when I said this letting Susan know I was half kidding.

“Bunk!”

“Maybe, maybe not, ask Gram.”

“That’s crazy.”

“I know, but Gram has been my friend since I was just able to push a lawn mower. We have always had affection for each other. I always think warm thoughts about her.”

“After 200 years? Blah! Was I in this life reading you had done when you were seventeen?”

“I’ll never tell. Why don’t you read up on it and ask if you were? Gram just asked for a sitting and maybe she will find out about the people closest to her. In fact, you might find out whether your soul is in balance if you do the same. That would be a good question for you to ask. If your Karma needs work, there might be a clue in how to fix it.”

There was silence and then Susan asked, “You are serious about this, aren’t you?”

“More than half-way. I don’t think the doubt about karma and reincarnation totally ever leaves a person. Enough, here come the rest of the crew. If they see us talking they’ll think you are flirting with me.”

Susan drew attention because she was dressed more like the rest of the workers. I was sitting in the office with the door open. When Callie asked why the wardrobe change Susan said she had good news after the funeral she had to go to this week. “I might be coming into a little bit of money so I gave up my second job and won’t have to go directly there without time to change into different work clothes.”

Dorcas asked, “What did you do?”

“I worked cleaning the offices in a dirty factory. I had to go through the factory several times a shift to the dumpster. Men are such animals. I dressed down to stop being hooted at.”

Dorcas put into words her thoughts on the subject. “I can sympathize. Sometimes a girl would like a little bit of attention, though. It has never happened in this office, Damn it!” Everyone laughed and began working.

My phone dinged a 9:00. Hey Grady, is Jackson in today?”

“Yeah, what’s up.?”

“Grab her and come to my office. I want to get this settled today rather than wait for Monday. Have you spoken to her yet?”

“Yes, I filled her in and she does want to move up.”

“That is good, see you in a few.”

I walked out and stood between the rest of the help and Susan, speaking quietly, “Susan, Jim Oberon just called. He wants to talk to you now about taking over from me. Bring a pad and pencil in case you want to take notes.

“Oh God Grady, I wasn’t expecting this today. I was waiting to get used to the idea this week end.”

“Jim’s good and will understand you being nervous. Surprises can come along anytime when you are the boss. Sometimes they are good and sometimes not. You just have to roll with them.”

“Grady, I know that. Jake’s father was my boss and I was his PA so I did have some responsibility.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“How could you, we’ve only talked out side the office a few times.” Susan gathered her pad. “Grady, turn your back, I want to fix my lipstick.” I laughed. Boy, would the rumors be rampant when we left the office.

Tom and Jim motioned us to sit when we entered. Both were surprised at the change in how Susan looked. She was suitable in the way she was dressed for someone who was an office manager.

“Miss Jackson, I asked Grady to find a replacement for the department that he is in charge of. You are his choice. Is this something you could handle?”

“I do. I’m familiar with the working of such an office as this one. I was an assistant at my former employment. It is all in the résumé when I applied for employment here. You should have a record of it.”

“I’m sure we do. Do you think you can manage the other women in the office? You must know all of them quite well?”

“I think so and I wouldn’t anticipate any trouble. I never joined them that much because I wore clothes that set me apart.”

“And why was that?”

“Because I had a supplemental job in a factory and I didn’t have time to change before my shift began. The working conditions weren’t where a person wanted to wear good clothes. I had to wash my clothes every day. I’ll be wearing much like I have on today.”

“That would be more than acceptable. Let’s see, you will be on salary once a month. That’s a long time between paydays so you will be drawing approximately half in the middle of the month. Will that be too difficult for you to handle?”

“No. Just to clarify, I gave up my other job before I learned that Mr. Collins has suggested me for this one.”

“That’s good because being on salary we might ask you to go to a seminar or some classes that we hold to keep our managers abreast of any changes coming up. Also, we sometimes hold dinners to celebrate the goals we have made and met. Those you can bring a spouse or a friend to if you are engaged. This will all be spelled out in a folder we will give you when we go down to Human Recourses.

“One thing we frown on is fraternization among the help. If you do, we expect it to be kept low key. That means the two of unequal positions wouldn’t as a couple be welcomed at the dinners. Of course, if the lovers turned up married there is nothing we could do about it unless they were manager and the other was his or her employee. If from different departments, ask for a waiver.”

Jim paused and then said, “I hate having to say all this, but we have to stay clear of harassment charges and these are company rules so it is better to address this before anything happens.”

“Sir, I don’t expect I’ll ever bring that kind of trouble to any company I work in.”

“That’s good. Are there any questions you want to ask, I’ll let Grady fill you in on anything that is directly related to the work in your office. He’ll be with you for a few weeks. If you are a fast learner, he’ll tell us. He is taking on another department as soon as he has you trained and anxious to get started there.”

“I don’t think it will be very long before he can.”

“Good, we’ll go downstairs and talk to HR now. We’ll cover your salary then. Grady, you can go back to your office. When we bring Miss Jackson back, you can announce what is happening.”

“Great, don’t be long. I want rumors kept to a minimum.”

Grady was correct, for Dorcas followed him into his office. “Where did Susan go? What’s going on, anyway. First she comes in all dressed up and then you and Oberon take her off somewhere.”

“Susan is down with Human Resources. I wasn’t invited and I understand she will be back by lunch time. Ask her, but be nice, though. She isn’t used to all this attention.” Maybe it would be better to ask Jim Oberon instead of Susan.” I waved Dorcas out and sat down to do some of my daily work.

It was an hour later that the office door opened and Susan came in followed by Jim. Susan looked a little uncertain and hesitated before coming through the open door to my office.

Jim spoke to me, “Grady, you can make the announcement about the changes we are making.”

I came out and put my hand on Susan’s shoulder. “Ladies, may I have your attention? If you would gather around, I’ll explain.” There was a rush. “First, I’ll be leaving you to go to another department. Susan will be taking my place here in the office. Jim has looked over her qualifications and approved my choice of whom to replace me as your supervisor. I have found her intelligent and also she worked in management at a different concern.

“I will be training her for the next few weeks. That is for getting to know the department heads she will be interacting with and familiar with all the systems we use in the performance of her duties. I think you will find Susan a fair and pleasant supervisor.”

Dorcas, still the loud one said, “Sit with us at lunch and tell us how you got this promotion and a little about yourself. You are almost a total stranger to us.”

Susan, said, “I will today, but not often for I usually eat alone. I would though, be happy to feel free to sit with you on occasion.”

Jim smiled and finished up with, “I guess that’s all for me here. Welcome aboard, Susan.” He turned and went out.

I spoke, “It is almost lunch time so why don’t you go out now. Susan, I’ll see you when you finish lunch and we will begin your training.”

“Thanks, Grady.”


Susan was with me most of the afternoon. “Grady, I have about an hour’s work on the job I was working on. May I go finish that up before quitting time?”

“You don’t have to you know, you can give it to someone else.”

“I know, but I wouldn’t feel right about it.” Susan did finish and when it was time to leave, she told me it was done as she put it in the out pile. The other girls were there and they walked out with her. I think Susan was doing everything right to get along with her former coworkers.

During the week as the work came in to my desk, I had Susan give the work to the others in the cubicles. I noticed that she first looked at every job before assigning it to a particular girl. I asked, why?

“Because over the time I have worked with each one of them and I know their strengths and weaknesses. It would be foolish to give a complicated job to one who would struggle to get it done right and on time.”

“Everyone is paid about the same.”

“I know, but before next pay raise time I’m going to ask for a little more leeway. You got me extra pay last time. When you told me it was because I earned it and not for the reason I suspected, I thought it a good system.”

“Yes, I think I’ll mention this conversation to Jim. I did have to ask special for you. I was some chagrined when you thought I was coming on to you.”

“I thought wrong about you, didn’t I? Remember, I was a fool and ended up with a baby for not reading the signs the way I should have. Can you blame me?”

“No, but in way it has worked out to my benefit. I’ve met Jake and he is a great kid. I look forward to seeing him Saturdays.”

“Thanks, you are a great surrogate father to him. Grady, about this Saturday when you come, will you entertain a couple of little girls at the same time? They are six and eight. I’m having a meeting with the insurance agent, my lawyer, Jake’s half sister’s mother, who is Cary’s widow, and her lawyer. Gram will give you a hand while I’m busy.”

“Sure, I can do that.” I paused and then asked, “Are you having trouble with the settlement?”

“No, not really. I called my lawyer and told him of how the wife and family were left with no insurance to cover his death. I called my lawyer and discussed it with him because the double indemnity clause kicked in. I would share half giving the two little girls something to remember their father by. I’m still getting the face value of the policy and won’t miss it if it goes to them before I have it in my hand.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.