Eric Olafson, First Journeys (Vol 2)
Chapter 19b: Arlicherb, planet

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

The rest of the journey was quite uneventful; we slept in actual crew quarters, two cadets to a cabin. I shard mine with Two Three. I had almost forgotten about Bennett Waite and my dilemma. Should I report him? Every morning we repeated that oath and pledge not to tolerate intolerance to other sentient beings. On the other hand I never liked tattle tails. The ship so we were told already approached the Arlicherb system and we were assembled in a conference room and the Instructors kept telling us what an honor it was to be addressed by the Admiral of the Fleet and even be on the same ship.

It didn’t take long and McElligott arrived and gave us our final briefing. Basically the orders were to stay together, act friendly to the natives and answer questions put to us about the Union in a preferably positive way.

Waite muttered something about the stinking natives that should be bombed and forced to do whatever humans demanded them to do.

To him I said in the sharpest tone i could muster. “I warn you fair and square, the next time you open your mouth or utter any deprecatory remarks against anyone, I will report you. I made up my mind! My oath is more important!”

“You would not rat out a fellow human! Not even you could be that low!”

“Don’t test me! I will do what I said!”

“You could always die in an accident!” He hissed.

“I am not afraid of you and the first time we have some time off duty I am going to show you exactly what I think about assholes and bigots.”

From the briefing room we had a view port view of our approach and the landing procedures. Arlicherb was a beautiful world with lots of blues and greens and the sprinkling of clouds. It had oceans and large continents.

According to the information we had received, almost six billion Yokuta populated the world and had several big metropoles. Even though it was considered primitive since the Yokuta only reached TL3 it was still a highly industrialized world and far busier than Nilfeheim. The Nogoll had kept the locals under strict control and promoted industrial and agricultural growth, while much of the planets resources and products were drained by the Goats, the locals had a strong economy. Even though they had some sort of Elder based government, unlike on Nilfeheim, here the young were heard and had a voice.

The Shetland touched down at the planets main Space port. Yokuta ships and Nogoll freighters looked like toys compared to the Union Battle ship.

The Admiral himself inspected out uniforms and state of dress and then we followed a delegation of business men, a delegation of Assembly representatives and a detachment of marines.

The first thing I noticed was a strange smell in the air. Pure coughed and said.” The first thing we need to teach them is how to run a cleaner industry.”

At the bottom of the wide ramp was a Yokuta band playing the Union anthem and several officials in colorful uniforms greeting the Admiral first.

Pure curled his chops. “I never thought my first official mission will be so soon and then a diplomatic one of all things! I hoped for something more exciting!”

I grinned back. “Could be worse. We could be in a big pool swimming with the others!”

Ninio behind me trumpeted in my ear. “I am no expert on Academy procedures but I bet the others didn’t have a leisurely day at the pool and they found a way to make them wish they were with us. We had a good night’s rest and we will get a lot of good Yokuta food!

Fectiv groaned.” If you find it good, I am afraid already!”


Interlude 21: Planet Odin

GalNet Entry: Saturnian

>>> Genetic altered humans. Previously Corporate owned Clone slaves. Now recognized sub species and own race.

After Earth ascended with the help of the Saran and before Earth became Terra and a founding member of the Unites Stars of the Galaxy (Union), there was a time of fast and virtually unchecked scientific and technological advances. Even before the Ascent, Earth scientists made vast progress in Bionetic sciences and Mega Corporations put great sums of money and enormous efforts into Bionetic and genetic research. Virtually every possible life-form both native to Earth and alien with compatible DNA were crossed, linked, tweaked and genetically altered to create new life forms for all kinds of purposes.

It started with the Canadians introducing an Organ Donor Swine. Hogs and later great apes were altered to grow human compatible organs that could be transplanted.

Almost every settler and colonist group that left Earth to migrate to other world received some form of Genetic tailoring to make them better suitable to their new environments. The Mega Corporations also tried to develop the most perfect soldier, worker and slave.

During the years between 2099-2110 new artificial creates life-forms, ranging from special bacteria, over new fruits and vegetables to new breeds of draft animals and meat producing animals were patented almost daily and literally millions of Patents were issued to corporations for life forms and new gene combinations. While moral and ethical restrictions hampered them before there was no law or moral boundary that restricted research during that time. It produced many successes but also horrible failures and catastrophes.

It lead to the Corporate Bio Wars of 2111 to 2114 that escalated into the Bio-Robotnik™ Miner revolt of Rasmussen Planet in 2115 and escalated into the all out Super Clone Wars of 2116 that lasted until 2121 with the Gene Clone Attack on Antarctica and the bombing of the Terran Assembly.

The Clone Wars ended in 2122 with the declaration that all Genetic altering and experimentation with sentient life forms had to undergo the strictest government controls.

Anyone including corporation caught in disregarding these laws and continuing any sort of strict supervised genetic tailoring was to be be destroyed, with everyone of the management to be responsible facing ceetain death sentences.

The same laws and concessions of the United Earth government gave all Gene Clones the right to freedom and self control and to be fully accepted part of the human race with all rights every sentient being was entitled too.

Schwartz Bio Engineering officially did not participate in the Clone or Corporate Wars, but had to release all their Gene Clone products. Among the most extreme were the Alpha-War Workers™, designed to withstand the most extreme environmental conditions and be able to fight and work under crushing gravitation. In one Commercial the AWW’s were praised as a worker that could even work on Saturn if it had a solid surface and an atmosphere to breathe. The AWW’s got the nickname Saturnians. The average Saturnian stood 320 cm and was almost 150 cm wide, with a tough carbon nano tube laced double skeleton, thick carbon nano mesh skin and super dense muscle structure. The average Saturnian could lift up to 2500 kilos under one standard gee, stay submerged under water for up to 4 hours and work in depths that would crush a normal human. This enormous strength and size had a price and they lost much of their fine motoric abilities and no Saturnian can manipulate objects smaller than 3 cm, without cybernetic or mechanical assistance. Saturnians completely lack body hair and, must have artificially implant eye lashes to prevent small particles enter their eyes.

Saturnians settled on the large planet Odin with a high natural gravitation of nine gee. They joined the Union in 2210. While Saturnians are able to reproduce, extensive pre- and postnatal cyber technical assistance such as the bone structure weaving has to be done artificially, Such services are provided at anu Union clinic.

Today there are approximately thirty four Billion Saturnians and most can be found either in the United Stars Marine Corps or in the security field. Saturnian Body guards are among the highest paid, especially if they are graduates of the Saturnian Fight and Security Academy. The entire Culture is focused on security and guard duties and is strongly Germanic and duty oriented. Saturnians enjoy extreme sports such as Ultra Wrestling and Beyond Limits Strongman competitions. The Annual Saturnian Strongmen Festivities are among the most watched sporting events in the Union.<<<

Hans was what you would call a troubled youth. Even among Saturnians considered stronger than most and he had already reached three hundred fifty two centimeters and was still growing. At first he seemed to turn out alright.

His family considered themselves of German Terran descent. This was considered a special social bonus as the Saturnians almost fanatically worshipped old Germanic legends of the Riesen (Giants) and the Teutonic knights. His father was First Paladin of the Granit und Eichen Order, a very old and honored society focusing on fighting and guarding the weaker. Hermann Neugruber had great plans for his son Hans and trained him from early on in all sorts of combat related skills. Hans won the Odin wide Schützen meisterschaft, a planet wide marksman ship competition when he was 14 for the third time. After his 15th birthday he was exposed to the Forbidden past, by old fanatics of the Falkenhorst Reich and the Reinheits-Bruederschaft, a secret society inside the Saturnian society that fanatically worshiped the old Falkenhorst ideals and historical events of the Terran national state Germany before the Ascent and what was called Earth’s Second World War.

His father upon learning his son’s involvement in this highly illegal society first tried to reach his son with discussion and education. However Hans was in a serious teenager rebellious phase of development and the verbal attempts of his father did nothing. So his father used physical punishment. Even this only hardened his sons stance. Herman decided to send his son to a distant uncle far away from the city, but close to the space port. In the hopes the distance to the secret societies meeting places in the capital city would help get Hans back on track. However Hans and two of his friends stowed away on a freighter and managed to leave the planet hidden inside a container, their plan was to go to Falkenhorst a planetary society of Human supremacists, not members of the Union.

In their youthful blue eyed fantasies they saw themselves already as hailed heroes of the Falkenhorst society but then everything went wrong. The freighter captain knew very well what was in the container and sold the entire box to a slave trader, the three Saturnians found themselves in shackles and in the training camp of a Death Fight Company on Sin 4.

--””--

All this went through Hans once again as he stood in the elevator that took take him up to the arena, where he would fight as the Terror Hammer.

He had come to Sin 4 three years ago. Erwin, his friend had died in the training camp after he attacked and killed two trainers under the withering fire of Kermac Line Blasters and Siegfried had withered away only five month later from the poisonous sting of a Wurlag after fighting a whole herd of these poisonous monsters.

Hans however became a star; he had won every match and was sold to several syndicates to ever increasing prices and in a champion ship match supposedly won his freedom. He was now officially an employee of the Donheer syndicate, one of the four ruling syndicates on Sin 4. While he was technically free and no longer a slave and even enjoyed the perks of a mega star, he was not really free. He could not leave the planet as no one would want to get Duke Donheer angry by providing Hans the means of escape.

His opponent today was also of the top league and not a slave but an employee of a different Death Fight company. It was a Saturday night special and transmitted into the Union, with tremendous viewer ratings, merchandise and advertisement tie-ins. Even though Death Matches where illegal in the Union, watching them and advertising with images and footage was not.

He checked his helmet and his hammer weapon one more time and then the elevator platform started moving and he rose into the large circular arena, today filled with boiling oil and floating box islands. It mattered little to Hans. All he wanted was to escape this planet and atone for his sins with his family or die right here like his best friends had. He had no longer any ambitions to go to Falkenhorst or belong to the Supremacists. He made good friends among the strangest aliens on this crazy world. He wanted to make his father proud and become a good security guard or body guard and show that he could be a good son and hopefully be allowed to become a citizen as he had left before finishing Union School and because of this he was not even a Union citizen.

Nuclor the Death Dealer, pride of the Rillo Syndicate was his opponent for this highlight and title match. Hans was not sure what race or species he was, as he like Hans had fantasy origins made up by the PR department. \Hans was almost certain Nuclor was not from any of the cultures associated to any of the Big Four and hailed from a region of space unknown to the Union. Like Hans, Nuclor had fought his way up and won every grueling and demanding death match. While both warriors represented a great deal of investment and business to the Companies, it was not called Death match for nothing and only one would leave the arena. Nuclor relied on a steel ball on a long chain and with it he was an expert par none. He could make that ball dance in mid air, back and forth, entangle opponent’s legs, crush bones and take out eyes and teeth.

Hans stepped from the Lift platform onto the floating square and it rocked back and forth in the boiling blubbering oil. He could still see the gnarled fried bodies of the pre show fight floating in the dark red clear liquid. The air was hot and putrid from the stench of whatever oil they used. He felt very sorry for his opponent already and wished there was another fate, but now he had to concentrate.

Nuclor was almost four meters tall, his arms reached to the ground from his boxy body with relative short but thick legs. This gave the Nuclor a low center of gravity and a sure footed stand, but it came with a price, Nuclor was not the fastest on his legs and this is why he relied on the steel ball with the long chain to keep his opponents at a distance. So far he had not failed doing so, fighting a large number of skilled opponents.

While Nuclor had fans, he was considered the underdog wanting the championship belt. There was an ear shattering roar of over 250,000 voices, fans of the Terror Hammer; nicknamed the Hammer Fanatics and all dressed in blue and yellow. Just like the Helmet of the Terror Hammer and they were chanting his stage name. He could not deny it was this chanting did get him going and he felt uplifted by it and always thought he owed the fans for it. His fans screamed in competition with the fans of Nuclor and the rest of the almost five hundred thousand live spectators filling the seats. He knew there were billions more watching the fight live on GalNet right now.

The announcer introduced Nuclor as a man eating beast from another Dimension and as usual the Terror Hammer was from a far distant Galaxy only survivor of a race of Y’All slayers.

While the Announcer was still speaking, Nuclor attacked! This was neither fair nor in the rules, but in a contest where Victory meant life and failure painful death, no one was really much on enforcing the rules. All it would do for Nuclor to increase his reputation as a ruthless, no hold bars monster.

Hans had not one second looked away from his opponent and saw the attack coming. Nuclor quickly went to the edge of his float, about three meters end to end and threw the ball. Hans wanted to grab it, but suddenly spikes and hooks appeared in the previous smooth metal ball. Most likely monofilament, able to even penetrate Hans’s tough Carbon Nano tube laced skin. Hans ducked agile, but one of the spikes did scratch over his back.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.