Eric Olafson, First Journeys (Vol 2) - Cover

Eric Olafson, First Journeys (Vol 2)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 17: Cadet Olafson

The orange haired woman took the mirror thing from her face as I left the Admirals office and she leaned forward over her desk. “There is a washroom right over there.”

I gave her a thankful smile. After I had freshened up I asked her.” How did you know I needed to go?”

She smiled.” I am Cheeka and I come from Phantas. “She said that as if it would explain everything.

Her purple eyes sparkled amused and she added. “Phantas is an old Terran Colony, much like Nilfeheim and we all have Psionic abilities, including telepathy.”

I groaned. “Can everyone do that but me?”

She laughed. “No, Cadet. It really only appears that way to you at the moment. You have been accepted to the Academy and if you graduate successfully you will know a whole lot more about Psionics and how to defend yourself against it too.”

“That would be a good thing. I still can’t believe I actually got accepted and the whole affair with the Ult was just a staged thing.”

She got up and pointed at an elegant looking serv-matic. “It’s about my coffee time. Would you want some too?”

I nodded. “Yes I am quite thirsty actually.”

She was quite attractive to look at. She had a very nice body, and she wore a short black skirt that reminded me of Sif’s outfit when I saw her at the Space port and transparent shiny leg covers with a hint of black encased her legs. Her blouse was white, and void of any rank insignia, but her sizeable breasts underneath made up for the lack of military decoration and was quite effective to catch an eye, at least mine. Her behind reminded in shape of an apple like the ones I had seen in the Caves of Muspelheim and it looked nice and round in that skirt as she worked on the Serve-Matic. I unexpectedly thought how that skirt would look on me, not that I could hope for a behind like that. I had to be careful about my secret, especially here were everyone could see what I was thinking and tried to suppress it.

She turned and handed me a cup.” These are called stockings. “She slid a hand over her knee and said. “Yet another fashion from Terra and are once again real big in fashion.” The she said.” I am glad you like what you see.”

The door opened and the silver haired woman came out of the Admirals office.” Cadet Olafson what are you still doing here. I thought you are already processed.”

The orange haired woman said.” General, I offered the Cadet a cup of coffee. It was not his fault.”

The silver haired woman who had the rank of a General was beautiful. Quite different from the girlish secretary, in an angelic not quite human alien way smiled and this time it reached her large also purple eyes. “Carry on then finish your coffee and do have a few of the cookies, Cheeka was about to offer you. She makes them herself and they are quite legendary in the Academy Administration. After that I suggest you don’t delay your processing for too long.” Then she shook her and walked of. “Barley a day in the navy and already flirting with the Civilian personnel. Mr Olafson I think you found your calling indeed.”

The secretary waited till the woman had disappeared in one of the IBT’s and said.” That was general Alyica Lichfangh. She is the Commanding officer of the mighty PSI Corps, and it is said that she is the most powerful Psionic talented person in the Galaxy. Rumors also have it that she and the Immortal Warrior are dating.”

I sighed. “I just realized just how much I really have to learn.” Then I drained the cup in one gulp and put the cup down. “Thanks for the coffee. I better go.”

“You’re welcome Cadet Olafson. I am known around here as Cheeka. I do not have a military rank; I am just the big guys’ executive assistant. Maybe when you come back from basic we can have a cup of coffee again and talk about stockings or other things.”

I smiled. “That would be nice indeed.”

Cheeka pointed at the IBT.” Tell the IBT to drop you off at the Quarter master processing level 6. I make sure they have your paper work.”

I thanked her waved once more and told the Inter Base Transport to drop me of at said location. There in a curving corridor another long line of orange dressed applicants. A bright yellow skinned being that reminded me of a bird crossed with a lemon and no taller than maybe 40 centimeters jumped before me, wearing a black uniform and with a high pitched voice. “Cadet Olafson. I just received instructions to place you in line four B.” The yellow being hovered before me and motioned me to take a spot between two other applicants.

I wondered how Derek and Mix fared and how far they had come in this process. I wanted to tell them about the Ult who was actually the Commandant. But the chances they were here in the same line were slim. This was like a factory processing thousands upon thousands of applicants and perhaps this was the closest concept to describe this ocrhestrated, well organized madness.

A humanoid shaped being wearing a completely enclosed orange jump suit stood before me. His suit had an attached hood that was drawn closely around his head and as he turned there was a mirrored face plate before his actual face. While others had their names stencilled across the chest, he only had a number, 3452-991.

I asked. “May I ask why you got a number instead of a name?”

Its voice came from a speaker unit in his shoulder and it sounded exactly like the artificial generated female voice every standard Computronic had. “I do not mind. I am a Non Corp. We did not develop the same as corporal beings. We had no need for names, before we were discovered and became a member species. We recognize and address each other in a different way. However when interacting with other Union species outside our natural environment it is helpful to have an individual designation and this number comes very close to what we see when we identify one of us.”

I wished I could have talked to the Non Corp a little more but the line was moving quite rapidly and we had reached a door were two officers, one human and one Insectoid Klack split us up. To the Non-Corp the human officer said.” Non-Corp cadet to the right and through that corridor.” The insectoid then addressed me.”Human cadet, you go left.”

It turned out to be a slide belt that conveyed me directly into a large Auto Dresser unit and I emerged on the other side and moments later wearing an actual uniform, it was deep green and completely void of rank insignia, but on the sleeve was the Union Flag. I did not know if it was the same or a different Klack who greeted me at the other side. “Welcome Cadet Olafson you have now been officially accepted and processed. Please do not ask any questions at this point, as there is no time. Follow the others to the next station where you receive your ribbon display, your Military Id Imprint and your Code Key surgery.”

I really wanted to ask what a Code key surgery entailed, as I in general did not like the idea of surgeries and doctors all that much, but the Klack ignored me and addressed the next person behind me in the exact same manner.

The next room had two long counters on each side. Robots and beings behind the counter handed out large bags. A project a sign flashed with my name and guided me to a spot at the left counter. A bearded man chewing on something said.” Cadet Olafson?”

“Yes Sir.”

A robot next to him snarled.” Identity verified. Race specifications and measurement scan complete. Basic Gear assembled and ready.”

The man pointed at a large E pad screen installed into the counter. Sign your name here. With your signature you verify you have received all your basic gear, complete and in good condition.”

“Should I not check it first before I sign it?”

“Yes regulations actually require, that you take the print out and check every item, but your gear has been assembled by robots.” He sighed.” We usually skip this part since it would slow things down even further!”

“I sure don’t want that!” I said and signed it.

After this a Saran officer supervising a machine attaching a blank flex screen attached to our uniform. The man explained. “This is your ribbon display. It will show all your military specializations and qualifications and of course any citations you earn. Yours will most likely remain pretty empty until you graduate, but it is required to be worn on all uniforms. It is linked to you and cannot be given to another person or altered in any way or form. Tryng to do so is is a serious offense.”

He tapped the display with his finger and the thing made a chirping sound. He looked at it and grinned. “Wow you actually got a few citations as it looks like: Honor Citizen of Twilight, Civil Duty service ribbon and Executioners Axe.” He grinned.” Nice to see the ribbon display actually works.” He waved me on and said.” Next!”

Code Key surgery was a big auto dresser type device that used Nanite assisted robot surgery to make a little skin pocket somewhere on the body. Its location so I was told was chosen randomly so it would not be always at the same place. During the procedure a voice explained. “All officers of all branches of the United Stars services receive a code key pocket. It is a small 2 centimeter by 1 centimeter cavity and a few millimeters deep. A bio plastic key made of the same cell material as the body will be placed in it. No normal scan will reveal it. It is used as an extra security measure to access restricted areas or information. You and all Cadets accepted have the security clearance Blue. That is the lowest security clearance and sufficient for all Academy tasks and procedures. How, when and why you need that key will be explained to you in the appropriate training class.”

The procedure itself was painless and my code key pocket was at my left underarm.

Along with others I entered an immense mess hall. I guessed at least 500 beings were sitting or in the process of sitting at long rows of tables.

I didn’t see Derek or Max, but I saw the methane breather and it waved at me with one of its tentacles.” Over here, Eric human.”

I took the free seat next to him and the Garbini said. “I never thought we finally end up here. I felt like a product in a factory.”

“I know I felt the same way. Seeing the scope of things I start to realize just how big an organization Space Fleet actually is.”

“Now that you say it. I heard there are fifty mess halls like this one right here and this isn’t the only Academy branch in the Galaxy. There are many more!”

I remembered Mix telling me, the ones on Andromeda side were at capacity.

The tables where set with fine china and glasses.

After about an hour every seat was occupied. An officer in black uniform, somewhat humanoid but with horns and a face that made him look like a ram addressed us all while standing on a floating metal disc so everyone could see him. I was sure his voice was transmitted to field speakers nearby as he did not talk very loud but I could clearly hear him.” This will be your first real meal as Cadets. It will also be your first lesson.

“An Officer of the United Stars Fleet will always display the finest table manners. We will use napkins and eating utensils whenever possible. We will learn to use the Eating utensils of other cultures but the Fleet recognizes sticks, fork, knife and spoon as basic and usable by almost all member species.

“Enlisted men can eat a sandwich while walking through a corridor, an officer may not. An enlisted man may yawn, scratch himself or do those many little things beings do without really thinking, often perhaps insulting or revolting to others. Officers will not do that. It takes great and seemingly impossible self-awareness and control to suppress these often almost instinctive things, but those of you who complete this training will and it becomes second nature.”

His platform slowly rotated and now I was facing his back. The officer was still speaking. “However as officers you also have certain privileges, you do not stand in line for food at the chow line, like enlisted personnel does. You will be served whenever possible and unless it is a buffet. The food will be served now, but don’t eat until I say so. Until the most senior officer is served and has given the toast, you will not touch the food.”

He clapped his gloved hands together and an army of white dressed beings started to serve plates with food.

The Officer raised a glass. “Welcome Citizens of the Union and welcome new Cadets, may this be the first meal you are partaking in the company of fellow officers and I sincerely hope it will not be the last. May the day come in many years from now that you remember this first meal as a very special occasion and important event in your life.

I wish all of you success and hope to see each of you one day in Fleet black!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.