Eric Olafson, First Journeys (Vol 2)
Chapter 16: Admiral Webb

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Arsenal System was an OII Main sequence star with 11 planets. Each planet was heavily developed by the Fleet. The United Stars Spatial Navy was one of the biggest organizations in the known universe. There must have been Trillions of beings serving active all over the Galaxy and beyond.

Millions of ship and bases that needed personnel, maintenance, upgrades, and supplies. Even the three gas giants in the system and their moons had some installations on them. Systems like Arsenal were there to feed that monster with materials, munitions and beings.

Because this particular Navy base was technically in enemy space, it also was perhaps also the most heavily protected and defended system. A cocoon of weapon platforms, mine fields, sensor buoys and space forts surrounded the system in addition to the many war ships and deep space fighters on constant stand by. Sensor installations tracked everything that moved within 100 light years.

Arsenal II was a very hot water less planet with a toxic acid atmosphere, to close to its sun to develop native life and in many ways similar to the Sol systems Venus. Despite these adverse conditions the planet was home to over five million beings. While most of the installations were deep underground, the planets primary building complex, a major branch of the United Stars Spatial Naval Academy and a Class B space port (mil) were above ground.

The Naval Academy had many hundred branches across Union space branches but the Arsenal II branch was also its administrative headquarters

All this information I got from a Vidi-brochure that was playing over and over again on the passenger compartment main screen.

The constant vibration of the ship changed and that most likely indicated that we had dropped into Real Space and approached our destination. The Vidi-brochure on the main screen disappeared and was replaced by a mustard yellow ball, that soon filled the screen. Thick clouds whirled in its atmosphere and prohibited any view of the actual planet surface. Without swinging into an orbit first, our transport ship immediately descended into that thick pea soup atmosphere and the view screen showed nothing but unhealthy shades of sulfuric yellow.

Moments later we had passed through this kilometers thick soup of acid clouds and the ship was floating across a lifeless inhospitable environment. Rough rugged mountains, huge fissures of canyon size zigzagging across the umbra colored surface. The transport descended further and a collection of buildings centered on a tall cone shaped tower was the obvious target of our trip. Lush green parks with perfectly groomed grass, large trees and small ponds surrounded the compound. A transparent, almost reflection free, most likely energy-field reinforced Duranium dome encased it all. As we passed directly over it it looked strangely surreal and out of place. Green parks, trees and buildings surrounded by that lifeless rugged landscape with rough looking boulders, and an environment unfit for most life forms.

The transport landed on a Duro-crete field. A slide-way inside a transparent pipe rose from the ground and attached itself to the airlock. The doors opened and a barrel chested human in uniform told us to get up. Two seat rows at a time and single file. He made sure it all happened in an orderly manner. The slide-way inside a transparent tunnel transported us across the landing field and inside that dome we had seen from space.

The slide belt had ended right behind the Ultronit base of the transparent dome. I estimated the apex of this dome to be at least a thousand meters above us. There we joined a line of at least a thousand more beings dressed in orange, already waiting. They stood on themaroon colored surface of a straight path leading to that central cone shaped tower like building directly underneath the apex of the protective dome and exactly at the center of this installation.

I estimated that path to be about twenty meters wide and a good twot thousand meters long from the bottom of the dome ring to that central tower.

We had just emerged from underneath the base of the dome. A flight of stairs led from the base ring of the dome fifty steps down and connected this entrance to that access path. From my elevated observation point I noticed five more of these access pathways, that like the spokes of a wheel radiated from the cone shaped tower. I was certain there were three more spokes on the other side but blocked by that tall building. Each of these access paths had a long line line of orange dressed applicants like this one. In my mind I calculated and estimated that there had to be at least ten thousand applicants waiting to be processed into the Academy just like me.

The spaces between these spoke like paths were covered with well-groomed grass lawns, trimmed scrubbery and small trees on it. There also were shimmering ponds of water here and there. The light came from a sun light projector mounted right at the zenith of this huge dome. Everything looked very orderly and very regulated.

I watched a gang of beings in dark green uniforms tending one of the grass areas with hand tools. It somehow reminded me of the Halls of Hasvik and I was almost certain they did that as a result of a punishment or something like that.

A humanoid union officer floated down from somewhere and hovered a few feet away from us and he addressed us. “Welcome to Arsenal Academy, applicants. Since we have a lot of applicants today listen up and listen carefully. This is your first actual order you now receive as Union fleet personnel. The instructions I will give you now are meant as a test for your ability and willingness to accept instructions that might cause discomfort or make no sense to you. Since this is your first official order it will be explained to you.

Be prepared that this might have been the last time anyone explained the reason for an order to you.I know, all this is new to you of course, but those who remain will soon get used to it.”

The officer made a gesture encompassing the area before us and then he gestured in a linear motion to describe the Duro-crete alley before us. “To your back from where you just came on the top of the stairs is the entrance lobby. There are wash rooms, vent-o-matics and even GalNet Access booths. The tall building in the middle is the Academy administration building in which your final application process will be completed.

The paved, red colored surface path connecting these two points is an Applicant Road. There are nine of these and you are on number six.

That concludes the explanation part, now here are your orders and you are to follow them to the tee.

You are to remain in your spot of the cue. You are not allowed to leave the red area, sit on, or even touch the grass. Under no circumstance will you leave your place in the line to advance past others before you. Should you deecide to go back for whatever reason, be it to use the toilets, the washrooms or make a Call or for any other reason, it will be seen by us as decision not to complete the application process.

Should you therefore choose to go back you will receive a space bus ticket to any destination of your choice and 1000 credits. No one will ask you why you decided to walk back, there is no appeal process. You are considered adult by your species standards, mentally capable to understand my instructions and you are here because you want to become an officer. You will not be able to reapply for the Academy again. It was decided to make these finite and drastic consequences to make you understand the seriousness of these instructions.”

The officer paused for a second then nodded. “These are simple orders and you should be able to comply. On a personal note.Remember millions did it before you, I did it too.”

The officer saluted and said. “I wish you all success and hopefully will see you one day in Navy Black.” He left by floating away and into the direction of another Applicant road. As my eyes followed him, I saw another Transport pass over the academy preparing to land.

The long line of beings didn’t move, even after four hours or so I roughly estimated I had not moved more than perhaps 2 meters. Nothing seemed to happen at all.

The fish faced Ult, I was certain was the same who had talked to me back on Arsenal Gate, as I recognized the pattern of darker spots on his greenish fish skin was standing before me. He even smelt faintly like fish, complained: “I hope this line is moving soon. The water in my suit is getting bad.”

“Water in your suit?” I asked

He turned to answer:” I am an Ult. This orange jump suit they gave me is supposed to sustain me just as a real Ult Moisture Suit would. You see Ult are amphibious. I can survive on land but I must return to water periodically to regenerate. In dry environments like this we wear moisture suits”

The Ult was two heads taller than me, and really looked like a Blue Streamer fish that had been crossed with a human being. He had large watery eyes, a lipless mouth filled with rows of very small but sharp looking teeth. His skin had a greenish shimmer and the outlines of a back fin under his yellow suit. He did have two hands and two legs. The legs were out of proportion to the rest of the body, as if belonging to a much larger being.

“I am amphibious too.” I said and pointed at the gill slits at the base of my neck.” I can understand your love for water.” Then I asked. “Are you in any form of danger or harm because of that suit you wear?”

“My own suit recycles the water much more efficient than this one. This one appears to be malfunctioning. You see I need to exchange body waste materials through the skin, and replenish my cells with fresh water. If I am not able to do that soon, I might suffocate and perish.

“How long do you think you have?”

As alien as his face was, he looked uncomfortable. “I am not sure, but not very much longer. I can feel the water clogging my pores.”

I looked around and saw a marine not too far away standing to my left just by the grass and approached her. “Ma’am that Ult received a defective environmental suit and needs help his water supply is contaminated.”

The Marine lowered her immense gun and pointed it at me.” Applicant return into the line. Feeding and refreshment intervals will be given. Until then remain where you are. You heard the received your orders. It is the Ult’s problem not yours. If he wants to quit all he has to do is walk back. You heard your orders and mine are to make sure you comply.”

“Ma’am I don’t think I made myself clear. The Ult is in perhaps life threatening peril and needs help.”

The Marine woman barked “One more word out of you and I will shoot you.” then she said in a less threatening tone. “What you all do at your spot in the line is up to you. But no help will be called, until he reaches the building or the refreshment interval is ordered. If he wants to quit all he has to do is turn around and walk back. There are toilets; there are washrooms and he gets a ride home, but if he turns around no matter for what reason he forfeits his chance to apply to the academy.”

I wanted to voice my anger about this extremely unfair situation, but the expression on the Marines face and the shimmering energy field at the gun muzzle told me that she wasn’t kidding.

The Ult and the other applicants nearby had heard the interchange and looked as helpless as I felt. The Ult’s skin now had yellowish hue and he didn’t look to good. Derek cursed:” What a bunch of ass holes. I mean they can’t let him die. We got to do something.”

I looked around. We were still far back. The line before us included in my estimation at last eighthundred beings The line behind us was about fifty beings or less and it reached up the stairs and all the way to the Airlock door with the bath rooms and a water fountain, but if anyone went back he or she would get a ride back and forfeit the chance to apply. Then I got an idea. With some effort I ripped of the sleeves of my suit, tied a knot in one end and said to Mix behind me. “Pass those sleeves back and tell the being behind you to pass it on until it reaches those who are still next to the water fountain. Have them fill it and pass it back.”

Mix ears wiggled fast.” What a great idea.”

The being behind him, a human female agreed. Even the female Marine watching us nodded approvingly.

Derek who stood before the Ult turned and said.” If I only had some tools, I probably could fix that Enviro-suit.”

“What do you need?” I asked.

“Well I would need to access the Diagnostic panel first.”

The Ult looked visibly weak and was about to collapse. I reached out and with Derek’s help eased him to the ground and said:” Just do it. See what you can do.”

The first sleeve came back. Derek found the drain on the suit and he fashioned a make shift funnel out of a sleeve of his suit. Once everyone behind us understood what was happening the water arrived much faster and Derek was able to exchange the entire water supply in no time. We also doused the exposed skin of the Ult and gave him to drink. His skin lost the yellow hue and returned to the healthy greenish shine. His eyes became clearer and he looked at us.” I don’t know how I can thank you all enough.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.