Eric Olafson, First Journeys (Vol 2)
Chapter 12: Civil Service

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

According to the time displayed on my PDD it was aready 10 am. The large view ports displayed a sunny serene mountain scene with a large lake dark gree forests and snow covered peakes.

Dawn was sitting at the dresser and brushing her hair. I watched her doing it. I had made love to a woman for the first time in my life and it was a wonderful, glorious feeling and she was gentle and without many words had showed me what I had to do. For the first time in my life I did no longer feel like a teenager or a boy. But then my own thoughts stopped. I certainly did not look like a boy or a man. Dawn however had not said a single word regarding my looks.

She had finished trying to tame her coppery locks and said.” I need to call in and prepare for the Executions tomorrow. Then maybe I can invite you for breakfast and then we must say good bye.”

I nodded and got up.” I better get changed then.”

I had a very interesting night. Making lesbian love to a very talented man is certainly a first for me.”

“I can’t explain my behavior and desires. Not to you or to myself. I am however going to seek a Psycho Surgeon and see if something can be done.”

She turned.” If you do that, you won’t be able to apply for the Academy.” She got up and came close. “Do you know it is considered more humane to execute an offender than to do psycho surgery? In some cases the delinquent has the choice and those who know what it means always choose death. You won’t be you and lose everything that defines you. The fleet does no accept anyone that has received Psycho surgery, besides It would be a great loss losing Eric or Erica, depending on what the Psycho surgeons thinks you should be.”

I sighed.”A friend of mine who is a doctor said the same. But I need to find an answer to this and make a decision what I am and where to go with it.”

“Maybe you think too much about it, just do what feels right and it might just be the right thing.”

Somehow her words sounded right and I decided to stay Freya for a day longer. There was no harm, this time I was far from Nilfeheim and Dawn assured me that it would not raise an eye brow, besides I had nothing much to do.

Dawn now wore a red robe like dress, the attached Justice Department logo now featured an added sword and put on a deep red velvet hood. She changed from a pretty woman into a dark figure and the purpose was quite clear. So dressed she stood before the GalNet Terminal. I wanted to give her privacy and leave the room, but she said. “It is only a few formalities, nothing secret., just stay out of the pick-up. Being seen as an executioner’s friend is not a good thing.” Then she activated Avatar Pick up.

Men in police uniforms and two beings with Justice Department logos on their chests received her in an official looking room. One of them was an X101 and the other a Garbini. It was the Garbini who spoke first.” Good morning Chief Executioner 32. We are terribly sorry for the mix up. We expected you today and not yesterday. It was part due to the fact that the Justice Department cruiser was accidently designated a Fleet Unit and we were not informed you are being here a day earlier.”

“I was lucky and found accommodations on Corri-Gas, I am sure the recent space battle and Alert status has mixed up many schedules.”

“Yes Chief Executioner, that was part of it and the decision to hold the executions here was also made in the last moment, however we have another problem. Your assistant has not arrived either. She is stuck on Palomino. She is on her way now but won’t make it until the day after tomorrow.”

“There is much to do and it is not just one execution. I can’t do all this by myself. Do you have anyone that can assist?”

The Marine Commandant has offered to make it a fleet affair, but the Chief Justice insists we handle it, as the delinquents were found guilty by a Union Court and not by the military.”

She nodded.”It would mean a retrial and no one can be sentenced twice for the same crime.”

“The Marines and the local Police will do all the security and much of the prisoner handling but so far we have no volunteer who wants to assist. Neither I nor my colleague from Factory can do it as we are of the prosecution team.”

“I can’t do all this by myself, besides regulations are quite clear. There is no more serious business than execution and it must be done by the book or we can’t proceed and must reschedule.”

“The Chief Justice is also informed and he said the same thing. He will call us in two hours and we keep you posted.”

The transmission terminated and she took off her hood. “It almost looks like there won’t be any executions tomorrow. My assistant seems to be late, but that means we have time for breakfast.

We had breakfast ordered to the suite. I never had been much of a breakfast person but I joined her anyway and I always liked coffee.

While she was buttering a Croissant she asked.”What are your plans for the day?”

“I haven’t really thought about that. I was sort of playing it by ear. Maybe some sight-seeing and then I was considering to see if I can learn how to fly out there, maybe they rent out those flight suits, but no I don’t have any plans.”

“It seems you don’t need money, but I could use the help and I could deputize you to the Justice department temporary of course. I would not want you to help me with the executions of course, that I would not ask you, my assistant is only a day late. I am sure the executions can be delayed a day, but having an assistant for the preparations would greatly help me.”

I sipped my coffee.” What is it I would have to do?”

“Taking notes for me, while I inspect the gallows or execution machines and talk to the prisoners. Making sure they are aware what will happen and that they have their last wishes taken care off. Then I need to go over the court files and see if everything is in order. Do little errands and such. It is simply easier to have someone along to talk to and make sure I don’t overlook something. Regulations require an assistant but I assure you I am not asking you to remain for the executions.”

“I think I can do that.”

She smiled.” You are a friend.”

We returned via System Taxi to Corri-Door. The Justice Department was in the actual town below the space port in a large square looking building. The taxi pilot did not speak to us much but he kept looking at Dawn as she was now wearing her executioners robe and hood. The front of the Justice Building was a chaos of waiting crowds and news crews from all over the Union. She directed the Taxi to the roof of the building to enter it unnoticed.

Inside she was greeted by the same two Justice Department members. At first they paid no attention to me. The X101 said.” The Chief Justice of Pluribus is waiting to speak to you.” the machine being guided her to the next Gal Net Terminal. The Chief Justice so it turned out was a Klack as his Avatar established, next to him a Pan Saran identifiable by his chestnut locks and because he was wearing an anachronistic wearing brass chest armor the final being in the room was a Belarom. I knew little about the Belarom, other than they were a member of the Attikan Commonwealth and Mr. Flensburger said they were looking very much like a Terran hippopotamus crossed with a gorilla. Mr. Flensburger always liked to describe non humanoid life forms by comparing them with some Terran animals, perhaps not realizing that none of his pupils, me included had any idea how they looked like. There was certainly no Nilfeheim life form I could compare the Belarom with. It was big and had a grayish skin and his potato shaped head was split underneath its eyes with a huge maw. Eight pronounced teeth of almost underarm length protrude from it. The X101 was about as tall as I was but had shiny chrome metallic skin; I could see my own distorted reflection in it. I had seen Klack and Garbini before, first during my grandfather’s funeral.

The Klack greeted Dawn and then said. “Chief executioner, your assistant is delayed because we needed her on Palomino; she is assisting Executioner 554 on a case there, as his assistant fell ill. We hoped she would be ready to help you but the case on Palomino experienced a delay as well and your assistant simply can’t be here in time. The bad news is that Corri-Door is too far for any other assistant to arrive in time either and we cannot delay the executions for more than a day. We have the seventeen Dai, one of them identified as the butcher of Partook. The Partook lost seven colonies to this Dai Clan right after they joined the Union. The Partook used to be an important Galactic Council species and if we botch this they might decide to reverse their decision on the other hand if we do it right it most likely convinces the Elly to break of the Galactic Council and join the Union. The Elly have a delegation here on Pluribus watching closely. Gaining their membership would deny the Kermac of their technically most advanced thrall species. So you see we can neither delay nor post pone and must do the deed by the book. It is imperative to show them and the Partook that the Union takes swift action to punish those guilty of massacring union citizens.”

Dawn nodded behind her hood. “I understand all this, but we are the Justice department and we cannot base our decisions and actions on political grounds. We must remain neutral and only the law of the Union must be our guide.”

The Belarom spoke with a laboring, deep voice. “It is exactly what we have said to the Assembly, but the Dai and the four other delinquents you are to execute are all processed and found guilty in an orderly court of law. The sentence was spoken and verified by the independent Legal Academy. All that remains is to complete the task by terminating the lives of the delinquents.”

“I came here to do exactly that, Secretary Urpetro, but I am alone. By our laws and regulations I must have an assistant. I found someone who is willing to help me with the preparations, but I gave my word that he does not have to be present at the executions.”

Everyone suddenly took notice of me and the Klack said. “Are you a legal Union citizen?”

“Yes I am.”

A Union police officer reacted to the gesture of the Klack and scanned my CITI, before I was even asked, the usual courtesy question and he looked at his PDD.” Olafson, Eric. Union Citizen of Nilfeheim, High Honor resident of Twilight, Special Executive Enroe Industries. Applicant to the Union fleet academy. Completed Sixteenth Birth year. No criminal record. Was investigated three times by Union Police and each time Legal Central declared him innocent of breaking any laws.”

“I was investigated?” I said before I could stop myself.

The Police man nodded still reading from his device. “First after a space battle incident over Planet Nilfeheim, conclusion: Olafson handled in self defense and through his action saved the Union World Nilfeheim from certain destruction. Second investigation: Olafson was abducted by Non Citizens on Twilight and freed himself by killing three known criminals. Investigation closed no crimes committed. Third time preventing a weapon store robbery and preventing a spore bomb attack on Twilight. Third Investigation: Killing three Union Citizens and several non citizens, all identified terrorists freeing the kidnapped planet governor of twilight and several civilians. Investigation concluded: Citizen Olafson distinguished himself in heroic manner, no crimes committed.”

The small crowd was silent and all stared at me. I myself felt embarrassed hearing all this in such a matter of fact list.

The Klack spoke.” Well it seems you are despite your young age quite an active and responsible citizen and have seen death before. I am looking at your CIT record and see no psycho problems or other aspects that would prevent me from doing what I must do next.”

His Holo stepped closer to me and his antennae wiggled while he turned his head to look at me closer with his almond shaped all black eyes. He then clacked with his mandibles and asked.” I am a Klack as you see, despite the fact that I am one of the Union Chief Justices and live among humans for 56 years they use the gender specific words him and he and yet I could swear you have female human forms. How do I address you female or male?”

I was deeply embarrassed again but Dawn spoke before I could say something.” My friend prefers to express gender identity this way and it is female.”

No one seemed to be surprised or take offense in that and the Klack said.” I herby draft you, under the Justice and Jury act of 3423, section 12 into service of the Justice Department and herby deputize you to the position of Deputy Executioner. I am sorry to do this to you, human. But it is necessary and I hope you understand.”

Again I was in a situation I didn’t want to be in and said. “What about my Academy Application?”

“I will personally contact Union Fleet Command right now, please stand by.”

The Klack Avatar disappeared

“I guess I have no choice in this, right?”

“Yes you do. You can decline and reject the draft. “The Belarom sounded apologetic. “I know it is sounds unfair, but if you do you also reject your citizenship. As Citizenship comes with rights and privileges but also with duties and responsibilities, as you might remember the words of your teacher as he declared you a citizen.”

The X101 actually put his hand on my shoulder.” The Justice department will not be ungrateful and the Union really needs this done.”

The Chief Justice reappeared and with him an Old man in Union Fleet Uniform. The Old man said. “I am the Admiral of the Fleet Obrock Mc Elligott and since I was at the Assembly Chief Justice V’Thensnhk told me about his problem and yours.”

The projection of the highest officer of them all, gave me a glance but seemed to look at something on his end.”You aren’t even due until October first, applicant., but because you are a registered academy applicant you are technically Navy thus I herby detach you by my direct order to the Justice Department until your task there is done. Should your task extend beyond October, you may enter the Academy entry tests on the next entry date in 4 month. I personally guarantee you will not miss your chance to apply.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.