Lost With Nothing to Lose - Cover

Lost With Nothing to Lose

Copyright© 2018 by Vincent Berg

04: Al’s Bluff Pans Out

What convinces

is conviction.

Aristotle

“Someone’s coming,” Kaci cautioned, carefully peering down the hall without daring to touch the virtual barrier locking them in the cell. They’d tested their restraints earlier, using a spare coin someone had in their pocket. All that remained was a blob of blackened melted nickel.

“This might be it,” Gary warned. “At the very least, they’ll send us home again, with or without our ship. At the worst, Quichoq is likely to do us in. I certainly wouldn’t put it past him. He definitely doesn’t care for any of us, Al in particular.”

“This is too essential for us to mope,” Al said. “If things go badly, we can cry in our beers later. Now, we need to keep focused. Our lives depend on it.”

“It’s two guards,” Kaci added, backing away from the door.

No one said anything, but each breathed a sigh of relief as the guards approached with no sign of Quichoq.

“Come on, let’s go,” one said.

“Uh, where are we going?” Al said, not moving.

“Don’t worry, you’re being transferred. Things have ... changed since last night.” He paused, as if deciding whether to say anything more or not. “The Inquisitor, Quichoq, left early this morning. He planned to reject your request to remain, but XiTrechzl sent word of your claims to Immigration Control. Seems a few influential people were impressed.

“Quichoq was livid. He stormed out, leaving in his shuttle so he wouldn’t be here to see you walk free.” He waved the captives forward, cracking as much of a grin as his hard-shell face was capable of. “Quichoq terrifies me, as he does everyone. Just his presence makes the strongest warriors tremble. Yet you stood your ground, countering his every technique. While the immigration authorities may not believe all your claims, the fact you’re not susceptible to his telepathic attacks intrigued them. They want to know more about you.”

Al noted the guards weren’t carrying their usual weapons. Though they still carried their side arms, they didn’t carry them at the ready, which spoke volumes about their intent. They’d gain nothing by trying to win their trust, so there was little reason to suspect deception on their parts.

After a short walk of several minutes, they arrived at an external port with a view into space outside. “There’s a shuttle arriving soon to escort you to Tandor. There you’ll meet with the regular immigration authorities. I have no idea how you’ll fare, but given how you kept us guessing, I suspect you have a better than average chance.”

He paused, reaching into a bag on his hip. “I also brought something you wanted,” he said, removing Xi’s red ball. “As promised, we took care of it. I’m not sure why you want it, given its limitations, but it’s the least I can do for making a fool of Quichoq.”

Xi rushed forward, grasping the sphere as if it might evaporate if she wasn’t holding it. “Thank you. I’m eternally grateful.” She leaned in, kissing him on the cheek, which clearly shocked him.

“That wasn’t our intent,” Al said. “But we saw how hostile and nonresponsive he was, so we did the only thing we could to counteract it. Not to appear ungrateful, but there’s one additional favor I’d like to ask, and it’s a big one.”

The guards both cocked their heads in a universal signal of inquisitiveness which apparently spanned alien cultures as well. “Go on.”

“Just like Xi’s healing orb, we’ve become very attached to our ship’s Artificial Intelligence unit. It saved us from an unsatisfying life back on Earth, trained us sufficiently for us to fly here, and taught us at least some rudiments of Tandorian culture. We hate the idea of it being lost if you demolish the ship.”

“Sadly, there’s nothing I can do about the vessel. The cost of modernizing it is prohibitive. What’s more, although the actual unit isn’t so large, without the connections, power and information supplies, it’s only a hunk of metal. As it is, the only parts of the ship we’re likely to retain is the outer hull for patchwork of our existing battered fleet.”

“Still, we owe it our lives and feel guilty abandoning it now that it’s gotten us this far. Even if we only keep it as an odd, room decoration, it would mean a lot to us.”

The guards glanced at each other, as if measuring their responses. “It won’t be easy to transport, but if I appeal to Quichoq himself, claiming I want to examine the unit in detail to see whether it contains any insight into what you accomplished, I’m confident he’ll allow me to disassemble the AI. From there, it wouldn’t take much to have another shuttle ferry it to you, though you may have trouble getting it from Immigration to wherever they put you up on the planet’s surface.”

“Actually, if you regale the shuttle operator with what you did to the Inquisitor, I’m sure he’ll be glad to do it for you.” The other guard glanced over his shoulder before continuing. “He’s pretty universally despised. By cutting him down a peg or two, especially publically embarrassing him like that, many people will go out of the way to repay you, just for the bragging rights.”

“That’s ideal, though it sounds like we may have created a mortal enemy. If he carries a grudge against us, he’ll create problems in the future.”

“I’m sure he will. As I said, he absolutely despises you, but then again, he’d do the same whatever you do. If it’s within his power, he’ll stop at nothing to crush you. Hell, he was for terminating you before the word came down to release you. Still, the immigration department already knows of his view of you, so I doubt he’ll impact their decision, which is another reason why it’s such a coup. You not only humiliated him, you decreased his status in their eyes, and they have a significant voice within the government. Beyond that, you’ll just have to deal with it if anything arises.”

“One more thing,” Al added. “I know it’s silly, since the AI is ceremonial only, but I feel like it’s only a skeleton without its memory. Is it possible to include it?”

The two guards considered each other. “It’s like the rest of the unit, without a substantial power source, it won’t function.”

“Again, this is only to make us feel better. We’re hoping to honor his spirit and his memory at the same time.”

“Actually, it won’t be any harder,” the other guard explained. “The memory doesn’t take up much physical space, since it’s stored on a cellular basis. It would be more difficult separating it.”

“Wonderful. I owe you guys. If you ever need a drink, call us.”

They both laughed. “And how will you accomplish that? You don’t have a job, or any appreciative skills aside from an inability to back down when your lives depend on it. If it’s all the same to you, we think we’ll avoid you in the future. That way, we won’t run afoul of the Inquisitor and you can operate under the radar.”

“That works for us,” Al said, laughing.

“That wraps up everything here. We really need to return before anyone questions why we’re spending so long getting back. While you’re authorized to be released, if Quichoq hears we were in prolonged discussions with you, he’ll have our heads.”

“Go on. We’ll be fine. We’re as eager to leave as you are to have us out of your ... hair?”

The guards had the good grace to laugh. “It was wonderful meeting you. You’ve certainly taught us a thing or two, both about humans and the faults of Inquisitors. We won’t soon forget you. Even if you’d been ... terminated, your names would have lived on in security folklore.”

The others waited until the guards made their exit.

“So, what’s the plan now?” Betty asked.

“Yeah. I feel like the rug has been yanked out from under us,” Eli admitted. “I don’t have a clue where we’re standing anymore.”

“We sit and wait,” Al said. “There’s nothing else for us to do.” However, there was more to his words than just the short message.

No one say anything aloud, ‘ he cautioned via Zita’s link. ‘Although the tide has turned, don’t assume someone isn’t watching. While some support us, I’m sure there are many hoping to score points with Quichoq, who’ll use any excuse to circumvent this administrative decision.

Act casually, look out the port window, but I’ve got a few things to take care of.’

The One, I’ve got some good and bad news for you. As you already know, you’re scheduled for decommissioning. Due to our intervention, you’ll undergo deactivation much sooner; however, we’ll keep you intact and seek to reactivate you somehow in the future. Whether we’ll be able to succeed is anyone’s guess, but we’ll dedicate ourselves to figuring out a way to achieve it, if it’s even possible. You’re too valuable to us, not just for all you’ve done, but because we don’t trust any other Tandorian systems not to report on what we do. It’s no wonder everyone here is so paranoid, their every thought is being reported to the authorities, who use it to enforce conformity of thought.

Thank you for that, although I suspect you’re undertaking a monumental task. In the unfortunate event you’re unable to achieve your objective, let me take this moment to wish you all farewell.

You can forget that. We fully intend to have you back as soon as we can arrange it. However, you should be aware that, once you’re gone, they’re likely to search your memory, as that’s the justification for dismantling you for us. If there’s anything incriminating in your memories, you need to flush them.

Understood. The process is underway, as they’re widely dispersed to avoid detection, it’ll take some time to clean them all out.” The One hesitated before continuing. “You realize, once I’m taken offline, you’ll no longer be able to communicate with each other, since those abilities were achieved via my few remaining quantum links.

Yeah, we understand. It’ll definitely limit us, potentially exposing us to the very elements we’ve successfully defended ourselves against until this point. But there might be a silver lining, in case they examine the aids in our bloodstream. If they have no memory of those communications, and no active links which can be traced, we’ll at least be in the clear on that front.

Hopefully you’ll survive long enough to get the opportunity to revive me.

Hopefully. We have the confidence of the naïve, so take care, and know we’re pulling for you and await your eventual return.

When he ended the communications, silence descended for several moments, until everyone’s insecurities began bubbling up.

How are we going to accomplish what the best minds of multiple worlds can’t, even with their advanced technologies?‘ Eli asked.

Simple,’ Al said. ‘We’re going to buckle down, studying every way we can imagine to accomplish it. If there’s a way, obviously the Tandorians overly-inflated confidence in their own abilities doesn’t allow them to see it. As outsiders, we should be able to unearth what they’re unable to. But it’ll take a lot more work in the coming months as we each struggle to learn Tandorian culture, their advances since our ship first left, as well as resisting whatever else they attempt.

Are all our abilities really going to disappear once they disable the One?‘ Betty asked.

It’s hard to tell, ‘ Al acknowledged. ‘The skills are innate, though they were activated through the Tandorian aids. Those remain intact. The only thing which doesn’t is the untraceable quantum links, which mainly come into play when we communicate across vast distances. However, we won’t know until he’s shut down and we see how many of our abilities remain functional.

Well, one thing is sure, ‘ Gary quipped. ‘We’ll have a lot more study time than we would in prison.

Or dead, ‘ Lamar added. ‘At this point, any day we end alive is one in the win column.


“There’s a ship approaching,” Betty announced. She and Xi had been huddled by the exit hatch for the past twenty minutes. They found the view fascinating, as there were numerous alien craft flying past, as they’d get occasional glimpses of the current Tandorian technology. Seeing it in action was much more exciting than studying ship silhouettes, for the few ships they even knew to ask about. There were now so many varieties, they hardly knew where to look.

“It’s likely our transport. How far away is it?” Al approached, even as the others clustered around trying to gain a look. However, they stepped aside, allowing him to pass. “Not knowing how big it is, or how distant, I’m guessing it’ll take another fifteen or twenty minutes.”

I’ve been tracking its arrival,’ the One added, though it was rare for him to interrupt their private conversations—making them wonder how often he’d eavesdropped on them before. ‘It’ll dock in less than ten.’

Al stepped back, allowing the others to witness the once-in-a-lifetime human sight—though a common Tandorian one. “Everyone keep on your toes. Although this should be straightforward, we don’t know whether whoever is onboard has an agenda.”

The transport vessel eventually nosed against the entry hatch. The connection was handled automatically as a series of clicks and clanks announced each step. The doorway darkening long before the hiss of air harkened the pressure equalization between the two ships. A few minutes later, the door swung open and a uniformed man exited. He stopped, studying them for a moment.

“Are you the ... what is it, hoomoons?”

“Humans,” Al answered, stepping forward and offering his hand. The new stranger stared at it, unused to the strange human custom, eventually reaching out, trying his best to follow Al’s lead.

“My name is Capt’n Zhorltortz, I’m here to transport you to the Shuttle.”

“My name is Al, Captain. Isn’t that the shuttle?” he asked, pointing at the open port leading to his ship.”

“No, it’s a shuttle, but the Shuttle is the Tandorian Shipyard Shuttle, which will take you to the surface, though you’ll exit before reaching the planet.”

Al made introductions all around before pausing, indicating his forehead. “You say you’re a captain, but you don’t have the same markings.”

“Again, I’m a shuttle captain, not a starship captain. You’re an Intuit. While it’s rare for you to serve as a starship captain, it’s not unheard of. Normally, the rank of Starship captain is a military ranking. While intuits are necessary for interspace flight, they’re considered impractical for making military decisions, thus allowing them to focus on getting the ship where it needs to go. If you’re worried about other things, you might make mistakes, especially in the heat of battle.”

“Ah, too valuable to trust,” Al reflected, filing the thought away for later consideration. “For that you need a politician, someone who won’t be bothered with inconvenient details like the truth.”

“The truth is often disadvantageous. If you’re facing suicidal odds, it’s discouraging to your men.”

“Whereas Intuits are primarily concerned with saving lives, even at the risk of threatening themselves or others.”

“Exactly. I’m glad you understand the difference. It’ll save you problems in the coming weeks.”

Al turned. “Betty, for practice, see if you can determine the Shuttle’s direction and distance without ever having seen one before.”

She closed her eyes, then opened them. “I’ve got it, though I’m still having trouble translating it into Tandorian measurements.”

“Yeah, you’ve never been good at spatial estimates. While it’s useful for a Seeker, it’s hardly essential. Your key is knowing where things are, not measuring distances.”

“A certain refrain about always being told four inches is actually eight comes to mind,” Xi pointed out with a smirk. The shuttle captain didn’t seem to get the joke, though.

Al turned back. “Shall we proceed? We’re eager to see what our new home looks like.”

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Zhorltortz said, as he led them back through the hatch. “Let’s call it your home for the moment.”

As he entered, Al noted no one bothered with space suits, wondering what the procedures were for accidental breaches. He’d briefly reviewed the details, but hadn’t had sufficient time to study them in detail. Now that he considered it, it wasn’t presented as a priority, likely because the Intuit wasn’t expected to survive their own mistakes. Worrying them about the repercussions was probably worse than keeping them ignorant. He had picked up enough he could probably figure out what was needed during an emergency—assuming he and everyone else survived! After all, if he made a mistake, the entire ship would be vaporized, along with any nearby worlds!

Zhorltortz—Al couldn’t bring himself to call him a captain—was a far cry from the Immigrant Authority Security personnel. He was tall, lanky, and feathered, with a long tail which swiveled enticingly as he walked. His crest turned different colors as he talked, potentially revealing his emotions, or at least those he wanted to convey—Al wasn’t sure which. Clearly, not all Tandorians were as intimidating or hostile as the security guards, though they didn’t seem to be any more welcoming.

“Take a seat. You’re free to choose whichever you’d like. It’ll take a little time to load your luggage, but we should be on our way shortly.”

“Wait,” Etta said. “I thought we weren’t allowed to keep anything from the ship?”

“That’s when you were still considered a security risk. Once you were cleared, they authorized the release of your possessions. Your ship’s AI identified which were yours, and they’re already in transit, loading into storage as we speak. Though, trust me, you’ll want to get some new clothes. Those you’re wearing are a little ... quaint.”

“The phrase we use is ‘ethnic’,” Al added, chuckling. “We weren’t sure what the current fashions are.”

“That’s fine, they vary with each species, though I have no idea what might fit a scurry of rat-monkeys like you.”

Most turned at the retort, though Al ignored it, expecting it. The women in particular seemed to take offense, but he knew it would help accustom them to similar reactions when they reached Tandor. They were now the backwater freaks from some underdeveloped planet, so all the abuse they’d seen directed at others in the past was now their lot in life. They didn’t possess the numbers to depend on ‘ethnic pride’ to carve a spot for themselves. They’d always be the odd men out.

The seating area was large. The rest of the ship was dedicated for cargo, as it often accounted for a larger volume of shipments than passengers. The transport’s sides were transparent. Al doubted they consisted of glass, as regular collisions with space debris were likely. Still, the view was spectacular. They couldn’t see the planet of Tandor itself, but they could see its two moons, Tandochi and Tandorki, as well as the nearby planet of Tanfookum. His crew had learned more about the local geography than they did the universal customs they’d need to survive. He didn’t think knowing which planet was which would likely affect their future survival.

Al allowed Be and Xi to sit by the window, choosing the aisle seat himself.

Yowza, our pilot is pretty hot, ‘ Zita observed telepathically, ‘for a parrot, that is.

I can see you’ve got a feathery kink, ‘ Eli teased, taking her interest lightheartedly. ‘Keep that in mind when we meet any tiger species. I’ve got my own thing for pussy cats.

Everyone chuckled, revealing they were communicating over an open channel. Al was pleased to see them relaxed, despite the continuing signs they wouldn’t have it easy going forward. Zhorltortz’s speech was as difficult to follow as were the other’s they’d met. Their language training was woefully inadequate. Al doubted their physics or cultural knowledge was any more complete or up to date.

As the shuttle decoupled with the security ship and backed away, everyone gasped, the intricate details revealed before their eyes was astounding. It was as if you were yards away from the intricacies of spaceflight.

“You should see it when you’re outside, walking along the ship, traveling nearly the speed of light,” Mui reflected, “nothing but a skin-tight airsuit between you and the vastness of space.”

“I’ll take your word for it,” Be said, biting her lip. Al smiled, reaching across Xi to hold her hand. Xi grinned, holding both their hands, pleased they remained close after all they’d been through. She continued to worry about how much of an equal partner she’d be, although Al and Be had never shown any inclination of ignoring her. Insecurities about belonging often run deep.

As the shuttle eased around the ship, gaining a little distance and reorienting towards Tandor, the planet came into view. If they thought there were a large number of ships before, they were clearly wrong. The outer atmosphere of Tandor was alive with activity. Al leaned over, trying to identify geographic features of the planet unobscured by his crewmates. They were still too far away to make out any cities, especially during the day when the city lights wouldn’t show.

It took some time to transverse to the far side of the planet, during which they got a general feel for the geographic layout. And while they got a general impression of the variety of passenger craft, they didn’t see any other alien species and the planetary satellites were still too distant to make out either.

As they rounded the planet, the spaceport itself finally came into view, the uppermost reaches showing first, then the rest slowly exposed. As they continued advancing, more was revealed, though it extended indefinitely. The spaceport itself was a wide stationary platform, large enough for multiple starships to dock. Below that, there was a single glistening glass tube which descended to the planet. The famed Shuttle was apparently a space elevator, connecting the actual spaceport with surface transportation and facilities.

From what little Al knew of the topic, the spaceport was well beyond the reach of the atmosphere, as the center of mass for the space elevator was above the geostationary orbit. He also understood it meant the city below resided along the equator, spinning with the planet. It was a wonder of advanced technological achievements, as Earth scientists had only recently defined the requirement for constructing one, and were hundreds of years from actually building one.

As they continued, the spaceport grew larger and soon blocked out their view of the planet below, making everyone appreciate the time they’d had reaching it. The spaceport itself was spectacular, though in a purely mechanical, massive structural point of view. Al could make out three separate major ships, though there were innumerable smaller vessels. Though ships the size of the shuttle they were in were too small to see from this distance.

The shuttle descended towards the spaceport, as it grew in size obscuring more of the surface of the planet until none remained visible, and they were still a ways from it. In the center of the spaceport was a central repository, where the smaller ships docked. The larger spacecraft docked along the spaceport’s rim, making it more difficult for their crews to reach the main Shuttle, leaving them far from the planet during their stay.

As they descended into the main docking station, there were hundreds of small vessels moving in and out in no apparent order. Each ship was presumably assigned a particular berth in varying proximity to the surface of the main small-craft docking port. Zhorltortz’s shuttle, though, warranted a prime spot, separated from the other ships near the central point closest to the center. It was only then they realized it was because it was secured, making escape more difficult, as it didn’t appear to connect to any of the surrounding docks.

Still, they watched, awestruck, as the shuttle entered its hanger, landing on the surface, hovering until tethers connected to the shuttle, holding it secure to the dock’s surface. Along with the various clicks and clanks, they heard a noisy connection under the ship, which continued for a few minutes. Once the noise ended with another whistling of air, an exit hatch opened beneath them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.