Sam's Year
Chapter 14: The Python and the Eagle

Copyright© 2018 by Peter H. Salus

Sam and Tessa had large breakfasts in the hotel and then sat in their room for a bit as Sam was to call Patrick around eleven. A few minutes before the hour Sam called.

“Eagle and Raven, eh?”

“Yes.”

“And this is serious?”

“I think so.”

“Well, I have a trip to the north of Western Australia for both of you, if you’re willing.”

Sam gasped. “That’s amazing.”

“Explain.”

“Bunjil told me that I would acquire a new companion...”

“Yes?”

“ ... and that I would learn more further north and further west.”

“My python and your wedge-tail know much and see far. So, you’re interested?”

“I am let me put this thing on speaker. Dad, meet Tessa; Tessa, this is my dad.”

“How do you do, Mr. Hollister.”

“Hmm. Hello. OK, I have to make a long trip to the Kimberley first to the northwest coast and then to the far north – near the border with the Territory. The first, on the Kimberley coast should be only a few days, the second up to two months. They both have to do with Dreamtime images and sites that may be sacred. I can’t spend two months in Kununurra, so you would be my representatives.”

“Can you tell us more?” Tessa asked.

“Certainly. First, there is a small, exclusive resort called ‘Kimberley Coastal Camp’ on the Indian Ocean, north of the Lawley River National Park. That area has many panels and caves that have been decorated. Some of the images are more than 20,000 years old. Well, as you probably know, the Banjima tribe in the Pilbara struck a landmark deal with BHP in 2015. A few months ago, some members of a different band claimed that tours offered by the Camp violated sacred sites. Canberra called me two weeks ago.

The ultimate in experiential travel, Kimberley Coastal Camp is ideally located at the centre of one of the world’s finest repositories of indigenous rock art. With many rock art panels and caves within close walking distance, guests are invited to experience intimate encounters with this ancient culture via fully guided bush walks or scenic boat rides. The rare Gwion Gwion (Bradshaw) is dated no less than 17 500 years old (some suggest older) and is currently testing the world’s best scientific minds. The more recent Wandjina rock art with radiating headdresses and mouthless faces decorate thousands of caves throughout this country known to traditional owners as Yalrundair. [resort blurb]

So, I’ll be flying to Perth. Then the Regional Services of Western Australia will fly me – us – to the Camp and then to Kununurra.”

“And what’s up in Kununurra?”

“That’s far more complicated. Parts of the land west of town have Dreamtime significance. The band claims excessive intrusion on the land granted them. I would like you to live with the band for six or eight weeks and provide me with an opinion. I’ll supply the Government with a recommendation.”

“What’s Kununurra like?”

“I don’t know. It’s a town of nearly seven thousand, but that includes the surrounding area. It’s part of the Ord River irrigation plan and there are a lot of melons and mangoes grown there. Also rice and sandalwood. Up to a decade ago, they grew sugarcane. The name of Kununurra seems to have been the Miriwoong name for this part of the Ord River, which makes sense in that the Ord River runs for hundreds of kilometres coming from the south near Hall’s Creek. The Queen and Prince Philip visited in 1963. I know there’s a PAKAM station.”

“PAKAM?” asked Tessa.

“Pilbara and Kimberley Aboriginal Media. AM radio. One of the stations is in Kununurra.”

Waringarri Radio is based in Kununurra in the NE Kimberley and is run by the Waringarri Media Aboriginal Corporation. Established in 1987, it broadcasts in a 350km radius from Kununurra, reaching Timber Creek, Wyndham, Warmun, Doondoon and Kulumburu.

“And this intrusion?”

“Visitors to the area are supposed to apply for a permit. Some do. The locals claim many – perhaps most – don’t and ignore native refusals and requests. There has been no violence in recent years, but the Ministry is concerned.”

“Would we have real access and the ability to observed the roads?”

“Of course. And Federal and WA IDs.”

“When would this take place?”

“I’d like to fly to Perth on Wednesday or Thursday and on to the Camp for the weekend. Exactly when we’d get to Kununurra would depend on how difficult the problem around the Camp proved to be. I was hoping to go there Monday or Tuesday.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.