Sam's Year - Cover

Sam's Year

Copyright© 2018 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 12: In Adnyamathana Country - 2

Henry nodded at Tessa. “We don’t meet anyone by chance.”

“Wherever we travel to, the wonderful people we meet become our family,” she responded.

“A person meets thousands of different people across a lifetime. Yet, of the many different people a person meets it is rare for one to fit almost immediately in harmony and general interest. We have come here and you are here so that you can re-encounter Sam.”

“What are you two talking about?” Sam asked.

Henry turned to him. “When we spoke in Adelaide, you made no mention of coming here. Yesterday, while I was at Arkaroo Rock, you had a vision. You did not speak of it. Last Saturday, you told me you had met a woman in Marree. I am not a kahuna, but I can see this is she. And she did not see your coming when she came here.”

An older man with a white beard entered from the rear of the store. “I was drawn. There is much power here. Some is alien.”

“This is my grandfather. Grandfather, these are Samuel and Henry.”

“Welcome to Iga Warta. One of you is from afar.”

“I am from Hawaii. But I have been in Australia for twenty years.”

“And you?”

“I am Samuel Hollister. I was born in Sydney.”

“There is more, far more. I am sensitive but merely an interpreter. You, from afar, are an interpreter. You, Samuel, are young, but you are beyond me.”

Henry said: “Herb Kawainui Kane said: ‘The entire universe was an orderly, fixed whole in which all the parts were integral to the whole, including man himself. Man was descended from the Gods, but so were the rocks, so were the animals, so were the fish. Thus man had to regard the rocks, the fish and the birds as his relatives.’ I am no longer on the big island, but I still believe.”

“My father is a carpet python. His mother was nungungi. His father, my grandfather, and his father, were known. I seek a healer, a teacher.”

“I am not he. But I sense you have great power. You will go to Lake Frome?”

“Perhaps tomorrow. Perhaps the next day. I await a companion.”

“What about me?” asked Henry.

“You will take us further, but you will return to Adelaide alone.”

“Who told you, Sam?”

“I am Bunjil-taught.”

Grandfather looked at him. “I think you have found your companion. There is water in Balcanoona Creek. Henry will drive you to the airfield, then proceed to the Village. You will be on protected ground – Cultural Use. I give you those rights. You will pass the dingo fence. But she may not venture onto the surface of the Lake.” He turned and left.

“Did you understand that?”

“Oh, yes. Lake Frome is a sacred place. It was full of water, but drained by the Rainbow Serpent when he was thirsty. Since then, while there is water in it some of the time, it has not been full for at least 50,000 years. But the Lake’s surface is taboo to the Adnyamathana. Tessa may go to the shore, but no further.”

Balcanoona Creek is a large ephemeral stream that rises off the southern side of the Blue Range in the Vulkathunha-Gammon Ranges National Park and flows in an easterly direction for 65 km through Weetootla Gorge and across Balcanoona Ranges, eventually discharging onto the plains surrounding the north-western edge of Lake Frome; flow only extends onto the plains during wet years. [modified from SA Ecosystem Report]

“Do you want me to travel with you?”

“I did before; a week or so ago. Now it appears to be intended.”

“And what about me?” asked Henry.

“It appears that you will take us to Balcanoona and then go on to Arkaroola Village.”

“Spend the night at the Village or start back from Balcanoona. It’s a really long drive to Adelaide,” said Tessa. “Depending on how tired you are, you could spend tomorrow night in Hawker or Orroroo. Hawker’s a bit over halfway. Then it’s only a few hours to Adelaide.”

“Trying to get rid of me, eh?”

“No,” said Sam, “Following instructions. But in 48 hours you’ll be back with Sarah.”

“And you two?”

“I don’t know and Tessa’s grandfather didn’t say.”

“Well, I’ve seen three sets of rock art, paintings and engravings. I guess it’s time for me to re-read Flood and Irwin and think. But what will you do?”

“We will follow the creek and cross the fence. Then we will see what there is to see. I will have my phone and I’m sure Tessa has one.”

“Yes.”

“Do you have a swag?”

“Of course. And a billy.”

“We will take two of the remaining bottles of water.”

“OK. But I don’t know what I’ll tell your father, your grandfather or my wife.”

“That I was carried off by a raven.” Tessa laughed.


Sam and Henry were introduced to Tessa’s parents, as well as several other members of the family. After dinner, Henry was asked about his island.

“Mine is an island of fire,” he began. “On the island are several volcanoes and our goddess is ka wahine ai honua, the woman who devours the land, known as Pele. She rules fire, lightning, wind and dance. Pele’s home is the Halemaumau crater at the summit of Kilauea. It is told that Pele -- who was born in Honua-Mea in Tahiti -- was sent away by her father because of her difficult temper and for seducing the husband of her sister, Namakaokahai, the ocean. She found her way to the Hawaiian Islands where legend after legend bubbled up around her countless lovers, infidelities and feuds and her heated outbursts. My people believe that the frequent eruptions of lava on Kilauea occur as a reminder that Pele is alive and still at home there.

“Pele is often portrayed as a wanderer and sightings of her have been reported throughout the islands for hundreds of years.

“She appears as either a very tall, beautiful young woman or an unattractive and frail elderly woman usually accompanied by a white dog. They say that Pele takes the form of an elderly beggar woman to test people – asking them if they have food or drink to share. Those who are generous and share with her are rewarded while anyone who is greedy or unkind is punished with their homes or other valuables destroyed.”

“Thank you. That is a good teaching.”

In the morning Henry asked Sam if he was “sure.”

“Yes. We will be fine. I admit that I’m not clear as to what will come to pass. But I am certain that nothing base or foul will ensue. Tell Sarah and my mother that. I will phone my grandfather when I can.”

The got into the Rover and Henry drove along Gammon Ranges Road through the national park to the Balcanoona airstrip.

“Will you be OK?” he asked again after nearly two hours.

“We’ll be fine,” Tessa told him.

Sam pointed at a dot high to the east. “There’s our guide,” he said. “Bunjil, is my totem. He is a large brown bird of prey, with a wingspan up to 2.84 m [9 ft. 4 in.] and a length up to 1.06 m [3 ft. 6 in.]. He’ll see what we can’t.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.