Split Tails Ranch - Cover

Split Tails Ranch

Copyright© 2018 by qhml1

Chapter 4

I walked around for a few minutes to calm down, damning Buck Henson straight to hell for creating this mess. I should have been in Texas by now, with my family. Instead I’m stuck here, hated by almost everyone I ran into to, including the attractive women who surrounded me. I couldn’t regret it though, because of Jessica. All that little girl had to do was bat her eyes at me and I was in a good mood.

Speaking of angels, I walked around the house to be met by Jessica and Sabrina. “There you are! Everybody is already in the office, waiting for you. I know it’s early Daddy, but you need to go in there and make everything all right. Please? Oh, and thank you for letting me share the contents of our surprise with Sabrina. She has something she wants to say.”

I looked at the child, obviously scared to death, taking in her almost threadbare clothes. I noticed she had her hair done up just like Conchita had taught Jessica to do. She even had new ribbons in her hair that matched what Jess wore. I also noticed a smudge of what looked a lot like chocolate on her cheek. They had found the candy, then. I’d almost bought the store out while Jess was with Conchita, hiding it among the supplies.

“Thank you, Mr. Zeke.” It was said so softly I almost didn’t hear her. I rubbed her cheek, smiling, knowing another piece of my heart had been claimed.

“You are very welcome, Miss Sabrina. You look very nice in your new hairstyle and ribbons. Let’s get you in some new dresses, and I won’t be able to tell which one of you looks better.”

She blushed and I noticed a little tear, so I brushed it away, telling her not to cry. She jumped into my arms in a full on hug. Jess decided she was horning in on her territory, so she jumped in, hugging me from the other side. A very nice feeling.

We broke, and they each took a hand, delivering me to the office. There were some wide eyes and startled expressions when they noticed each child had a hand, then Claire grinned.

“Ladies, it appears our new business partner has exposed a weakness, one we must exploit in our negotiations. Every time we feel he is being unreasonable or stubborn, we will turn our junior members loose on him. I’m sure after a few hugs he will be helpless to resist us. Girls, you may go now, but stay close, in case we need you. Sabrina, your hair looks lovely, and those ribbons set it off. Another thing we must thank our partner for. Jessica, you are now a full fledged sister in the organization. Welcome.”

Jess grinned, stuck her tongue out at me, and took Sabrina’s hand, tugging her along. “Come along, Sabrina. We still have boxes to unpack.”

They walked out, looking back and giggling. Claire had the first real smile I’d seen from her on her face. “Once again I find myself in your debt, Zeke. Sabrina has led a lonely life, and the appearance of your daughter has cheered her immensely. The ribbons helped. How did you think to bring them?”

“I didn’t. After this meeting, those who are interested should check out the things Jessica insisted I buy. She is responsible, and she is the one you should thank.”

Henrietta ruined the mood, spitting out her usual bile. “Ooh! The nice man brought us pretty ribbons! Let’s all bow down to our new lord and master.”

Just like that, my sour mood was back. I drew a breath to calm myself. “Miss Benson, what exactly is your role here? What expertise do you bring to the table? If it bothers you so much to be here at this ranch, or in the room with me, why don’t you leave? I certainly would not want you to stay in a place that makes you so miserable. I’m truly sorry that I killed your brother, the taking of a life is no small thing no matter who it is. But truth be told I can give you a town full of witnesses that will tell you I gave him many opportunities to avoid bloodshed. It was his choice to turn them down. The wager for the ranch was my last attempt to deter him. He refused and died for his decision. So, if all you’re going to do is make snide comments and disrupt this meeting, please leave. I’m sure one of the others will fill you in on what is discussed.”

She had progressively gotten paler. Maybe I was getting through to her. Then Courtney spoke up. “I hope you throw her out! I’m tired of living with a bitch! Nothing is good enough yet she refuses to get off her ass and do anything to make it better. Her asshole brother let her sit around and act like a princess while he tried to have relations with every other female in his house. I hope it was painful and he suffered horribly before he died!”

“Miss Courtney, that is quite a revalation. I can see by the look on Miss Claire’s face she was unaware of this. But, yet again, why didn’t you leave if the situation became unbearable? Please contain yourself and if you find it impossible, leave the room.”

It was her turn to grow paler. In the end both stayed but were very subdued. Claire sighed. “The truth of the matter, Mr. Walters, Zeke, is that we’re all stuck here. My father passed, and left us in dire straits. I had married Buck, he seemed very nice and had a big ranch, so they came to stay with us. The same is true for Henrietta. Her parents passed and Buck was the only family she had left. She has no money of her own, no one she can turn to. She feels trapped, because she truly is.”

She sighed once again. “I feel I should be frank with you if we’re to truly be partners. The fact is I made a mistake when I married my husband. Oh, he was charming and I thought I loved him. In retrospect it was more infatuation. His attitude changed when we got here, he was more lord and master than loving husband. I think his frustration with me grew when I didn’t bear him a child. Perhaps there was something wrong with me. Perhaps it was him. We’ll never know now, will we? I still long for children, perhaps, if I ever remarry, I will be blessed. Sorry, back to business. The fact is we’re all stuck here, Zeke, and all pretty much at your mercy. Perhaps if you would tell us what you expect, and we shall see what we can do.”

I had to think about it for a minute. Then it came to me. “I expect you to help me make this ranch a thriving business. I see trouble ahead, the amount of hands your late husband has is almost twice what it would take to run this spread, and most seemed disinclined to work. I will handle that, as soon as I find out why there are so many. I suspect it has connections to criminal enterprises. I hope one of you has some training with treating wounds.”

For the first time since the meeting started, Paris spoke up. “I was studying to be a nurse when we were forced to move out here. I’m not afraid of the sight of blood.”

“Well then, Miss Paris, you are the official doctor for the Split Trails Ranch. Make a list of medical supplies you might need and I will see that you get them.”

She was still stunned when I turned to Courtney. “What skill set can you bring to the group, Miss Courtney?” She was still trying to process my request, started to smart off, and thought better of it. “I’m afraid the only things I can offer are domestic skills. I will admit I’m a very good seamstress, and I have a good eye towards making a house homey.”

“Very good. I appoint you directress of domestic affairs. It appears you could all use new dresses, so make that your priority.”

Henrietta finally admitted, after prodding, that she had no skills at all. “Very well, then. You’ll be the spare hand, assisting where needed. Understand?”

She nodded, not knowing if she was going to like it or not. That just left Claire. She grinned. “I’ve had some business training, with my late father and at school. I’ve a good head for figures. It used to irk me no end that Jack wouldn’t let me close to the books. After he passed I understood why. There weren’t any.”

“Very well then, you are the new business manager. Again, if you need supplies, tell me and we’ll acquire them.”

“What about Sabrina?”

“Sabrina has a job, being a child. I don’t know what kind of education she has, but she needs to be able to read, write, do sums. I would like her to have as much knowledge as possible. I expect each of you to instruct both her and my daughter according to your strengths. Are we all agreed then?”

They nodded, some with more enthusiasm than others. “Very good. Now we will discuss wages. I do not expect you to labor for just room and board. I will pay you a fair wage for your skills. Henrietta, since you have little skills, you will receive twenty dollars a month, with raises as your skills increase. Courtney, you will receive thirty. Claire and Paris will receive forty each, because of their knowledge. Is this acceptable?”

I could tell they were surprised to hear I was paying. A good ranchhand made thirty a month, so Claire and Paris were drawing what a good segundo would make. It was what I was paying Bill and he seemed quite pleased. It would increase it as he became foreman. Brad would be leaving as soon as he thought it was safe to do so. He had his own dreams to pursue.

There were actual smiles, and they seemed to be getting along for the first time since I’d arrived. Maybe this would work after all. After the meeting was over Jess and Sabrina met us at the door, almost quivering with excitement. They dragged the ladies off to see the treasures I had brought. Brad met me on the porch.

“Most went out to see what was left of the fella you plugged. One got a little pale. A couple got mad. Upshot is four came to me wanting to draw their wages and leave. I paid them off and they’re gone. A couple of the others were arguing with the rest, and I think they may be out of the equation. One disappeared with a rifle. Bud is dogging him. If he even looks like he’s about to do something foolish he’ll get a bullet for his trouble. Still leaves five. Sonny and Carlos are waiting.”

He was holding the Colt, and I had a feeling I’d be looking for another shotgun soon. He was talking about shortening the barrel and the stock to make it a better close quarters weapon.

We walked back to the bunkhouse, Carlos and Sonny falling into step. “If it’s just one on one, I’ll handle it. If it turns into a free for all, pick your targets. I’m going to try to make it personal for the leader and maybe the rest will stay out of it.”

Four were lounging on the porch and I frowned. I knew about the one with the rifle, but where was the fifth? Sonny must have been reading my mind, because he split off, going around back. I was suddenly tired of talking people out of gettin’ killed.

Before the man could speak I cut him off. “Leave right this minute or pull you piece. I’m tired of wastin’ my time talking and ending up killing anyway.”

We heard a grunt, and Sonny walked out the side door. The man inside was no longer a concern. Their edge gone, the leader tried to talk. I shot him. Brad’s shot gun boomed twice, and two more went down, one almost blown in two. The other one had his hands up, crying. He had obviously pissed his pants. I left him alive. “I want you take a messge. You tell whoever is behind all this I’m not fooling around. If you’re on this spread and not working for me, I’m shootin’ you where I find you. You make sure they understand. Now change your pants and gather your stuff. Leave the others lying, and if I can find out they have relatives, I’ll send them their possibles along with whatever wages they had comin’. Just then a rifle boomed and I grinned. “I’ll do the same for the feller on the hill. And once you deliver that message, you clear out of this territory. I’m not even gonna threaten you with what will happen if I run into you. Be gone before an hour passes. Understand?”

I turned around, surprised to see Claire standing about fifty feet back, a rifle in her hands. “You’ll do, Mr. Walters, yes indeed.” She turned and walked off grinning.

By the end of the week I was down to just enough hands to run the spread. Claire turned out to be an excellent horsewoman, and Henrietta was fair. I took them with me on an inspection tour, and we made plans to move the cattle a little farther South. The hands had already moved them once but not far enough for my liking. We also did a rough tally, and Claire frowned. “There should be about a third more, according to what Buck told me. I wonder where the others went?”

We resolved to find out, once things were running smoothly. The ladies had settled to their tasks with a vengeance. I was particularly impressed when Sabrina and Jessica appeared a the supper table in matching new dresses. They were quite a pair, Jess with her honey blond hair and Sabrina with her jet black tresses. Of course I praised them, as well as their seamstress, for the way she made them look. All the ladies were sporting new clothes, except for the seamstress. Seems she was too busy making the others to make one for herself.

I turned to Courtney. “As managing partner, I am ordering you not to make another dress until you have made two for yourself, and I expect to see one in two days. Understand?”

She was a lot calmer these days, and instead of snapping off, she grinned. “Yes boss. I’ll need the spare hand to help.”

Even Henrietta was calmer, even if she wasn’t the friendliest person on the ranch. She nodded her head, agreeing.

The girls had been very excited to see all the things Jess talked me into buying, stuff they had needed that Jack had refused to get. The meals improved, and I think Jess had a little to do with that. When she and Sabrina weren’t helping, they were being schooled. Henrietta was the best at making them understand things, and I knew she would get a raise soon. She seemed to enjoy teaching. I may give her the title of head of education. When they weren’t studying or helping, they were off on little adventures. They were riding Sweetie double, and Jess informed me Sabrina had a birthday coming up. “She needs her own horse, Daddy.” The hands that had stayed were shaping up into a pretty good crew, and part of their rides were delivering homemade cookies and snacks to the men close by on the range, often riding along and watching them. Jessica was especially impressed with the roping skills, and an older hand took them under his wing and taught them how to it. Sabrina was better at it than Jess was, but she was a better horsewoman. Sweetie seemed to take to it naturally, until she had developed into a pretty good cutting horse.

I had Carlos send a message to his rancher friend, asking him to be on the lookout for a small horse if he didn’t have one. Seemed I had a hard time telling the ladies no, especially the small ones. A fact they recognized and often took advantage of.

A week before we were due a supply run, they presented me with all kinds of lists. I just laughed and tossed it down. “I won’t be getting any of that.”

They were shocked and I laughed again. “I won’t be getting it because you will. I won’t have time to run all over town, so I’m taking you all along. Beside, it’ll be payday. I haven’t run into a ranchhand yet that didn’t like to go into town and blow off some steam and spend some of his wages. Make plans.”

That triggered off a flurry of activity, and the addition of another wagon, an old Conestoga that had been in storage. I wondered how much it was going to cost the ranch to fill that up.

We hadn’t run into anyone when we moved the cattle, and they were fattening up nicely. I figured for a fall drive, if I could get a good price from the Army. They were buying everything they could, to feed their own troops and the Indians they had on reservations. I had culled a lot that I intended to sell, leaving as many cows and young heifers as I could. I was also thinking about importing a couple of bulls from back East to improve the Longhorns that made up most of the herd. I discussed it with Claire and the crew at the dinner table, and she sent some feelers out, and advertised in a few stock journals.

The girls were so excited to be going to town they hardly slept the night before. Seems it had been over a year since any of them left the ranch. We were rolling before daylight. Bill and Sonny were staying behind to keep an eye on things. Carlos was going along to visit family. Bud was going because Soibahn was. When they told me they had an Irishwoman for a cook, I was thinking about a grandmotherly type. Sissy was just seventeen, a willowy redhead with green eyes. Bud was smittent he first time he saw her. She flirted back gently, and now all they had eyes for was each other.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.