Rambling - Cover

Rambling

Copyright© 2018 by Telephoneman

Chapter 5: Changes

It was a telephone call that was the start of it, yet unusual in stories like this, it was one I made rather than received.

It was made to Nadine, though it wasn’t Nadine that answered.”Nadine’s phone!” Stated someone that I thought was Nadine.

The statement threw me for a moment. It sounded like Nadine, it was Nadine’s phone, but surely she wouldn’t answer her own phone like that.

“Er ... Is Nadine there?” I enquired tentatively.

“No, she’s in hospital at the moment,” the voice told me.

“Nothing major I hope,” I said, suddenly worried.

“No, just a cut, though a nasty one.”

“Oh! How did that happen?”

“She momentarily forgot that she isn’t a chef,” the voice said with a bit of a laugh.

The laugh eased my mind some, as if it was too serious then there would be no joking; or at least that is what I presumed. Before I could respond she continued. “Tried to chop some veggies too quickly. Sorry! Should have asked. Who am I talking to? You sound a bit old to be one of her beaus.”

“David Powell and sadly you’re right. You are?”

“I’m Fred. Her big sister. I think I recall her mentioning a David. A walking friend. Is that you?”

“Yes that’s me,” I responded, feeling somehow proud that I had been mentioned to Nadine’s family. “Nothing too bad, I hope.”

She laughed, similar but not quite the same as Nadine did. “Depends if you class being called an old pervert as bad.”

Guessing that Fred shared her sister’s sense of humour, I responded. “Not where Nadine’s concerned, but sadly she’s not into us geriatrics.”

Another laugh. “According to Nadine, that’s me. Just because I married an older man ... older by one day.”

For some reason I felt disappointed that she was married. I was a bit like that with attractive women on TV. A ring would sadden me a bit even though I knew that it was highly unlikely that I would ever meet any of them and even if I did, it was even more unlikely that anything would happen.

“You don’t sound much like a Fred!” I stated.

“It’s actually Freda, after my granddad Fred. But Fred sounds better ... just.” She laughed.

We talked a bit more and I learned that Nadine had taken a taxi to hospital – they’d both been drinking so no driving. I also thought that could have been a factor in her cutting herself.

I also learned that she’d gone to North Staffs. Infirmary in Stoke, which was where our A & E department was situated. It is also only half a mile from where I lived.

To show how my brain works (or in this case doesn’t) I told Fred that I’d ring Nadine and arrange to pick her up. I couldn’t understand the heavy laughter until I was reminded that I was already calling her phone.

“I thought I was the one that had been drinking.” Fred giggled.

“Never mind, I’ll have a drive down and see if I can spot her.”

“Okay. I’ll let you know if she contacts me.”

A quick change from slippers to shoes and I was out the door. Twelve minutes later I was locking my car. That’s three driving, seven trying to find a packing space and two to buy the over-priced parking ticket.

After another five minutes of waiting to speak to someone, I got the monotone answers of ‘she’s being seen by a doctor’ and ‘no, I don’t know how long’.

At least I hadn’t missed her, I thought. Turns out there was little chance of that at this hospital, which given its atrocious reputation, I should have expected the two hour wait.

Eventually I spotted Nadine walking towards the door.

“Nadine!” I called as I rushed towards her.

She turned to look towards me and I was delighted to see her face light up as she recognised me.

“David, what on earth are you doing here?”

“Come to pick up my favourite girl and take the wounded chef home. After all, I do owe you a lift.” I answered with a grin.

“I see you have been talking to that no good sister of mine.”

“Besides, as your resident old pervert, I couldn’t pass up the chance to see you in one of those backless hospital robes.” I continued.

“I’ve only cut my hand you idiot.” She said with a chuckle. “Still, I’d rather take my chance with my known pervert than call a taxi and risk another like the one down here.”

“Oh! Why’s that? Was he coming on to you?”

“Yes, and creepily so too. And he was ancient, almost as old as you in a fact.” The last bit said with a returning grin.

“Cheers for that girl child. I suppose as you approach forty those five or six years make all the difference.” I commented, just about suppressing a smirk.

The blow to my arm reminded me that, although small in stature, Nadine was physically fit and packed a mean punch. “I’ll have you know that I’m not even thirty five yet, let alone forty. Cheeky sod!”

Her laugh told me she’d taken it in the way I’d meant. “Why didn’t you cut your right hand instead?” I complained, dramatically rubbing my shoulder.

I knew my way to Leek but hadn’t been to Nadine’s home before, so needed guidance for the last half mile or so. As I was not certain where I stood, I decided to stay in the car and head straight back. Thankfully Nadine was having none of it and insisted I come in.

Freda was waiting at the door and was instantly attentive to her sister. By habit I checked her out. Apart from a few more laughter lines and a couple of extra pounds they could have been twins. There was certainly no mistaking that they were sisters.

A few moments later Freda turned to give me the once over. “Not bad for an oldy, a bit lanky but otherwise passable.”

Nadine laughed. “Yes, but it’s the oldy bit that’s the problem. No staying power.”

“Yes, but think about the experience. Quality always beats quantity Sis.” She then pressed her hand against my stomach. “No flab there, which must be good.”

I felt like a prize bull being discussed by a pair of old farmers, but still, I found it amusing listening to the sisters’ banter.

Finally we made it inside where a beer was offered and declined, then a coffee which was accepted. It shouldn’t have been, it was disgusting.

Fred saw my grimace and laughed. “My sister has the worst taste in coffee going. She buys the cheapest muck she can find and calls it coffee.”

“Hey! There’s nothing wrong with my coffee.”

“Yes there is!” We both replied totally in synch.

We spent the next few hours in a similar vein. The sisters were different characters and it showed in a couple of ways but their sense of fun was identical.

I found myself contemplating asking Fred out but remembered that she was married though I noticed she wasn’t wearing a ring of any sort. Divorced maybe. I didn’t feel comfortable asking her. I would ask Nadine another time. All thoughts that flew through my head. In the end Nadine solved my dilemma.

“David’s right up your street Sis, you get on great. Why don’t you take him for a test drive?”

Before I could work out what she meant by a test drive, Fred answered. “Sorry but I don’t play second fiddle to anyone, especially my baby sister. Maybe if I’d met him first.”

As when we were at the door, they talked about me as if I wasn’t there.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s pretty damn obvious that he has a massive thing for you, maybe even loves you.”

“What!” I yelled in shock.

Fred just looked at me. “Sorry David but it’s true. I see it in how you look at her with almost reverence. Look how you responded to her trip to the hospital. There was no hesitation, just instant action. You Sis, obviously like David but can’t see past this age thing.”

I didn’t need a mirror to know I was as red as a beetroot. I quickly stood up and said my goodbyes promising, falsely I suspected, to ring Nadine soon. Nadine hadn’t said a word and didn’t look like doing so any time soon.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.