Rambling - Cover

Rambling

Copyright© 2018 by Telephoneman

Chapter 4: Penny

“Any chance of a big favour?”

When Pete asked such a question, I was immediately on the alert. It was a week after my meeting at the Chamber of Commerce. I’d backed away from anything remotely social, trying to decide just what it was that I wanted. It was a bit like Pandora’s Box that Nadine had released. It would not go away, but precisely what it was, I still wasn’t sure. I realised that my mind had been rambling again and tried to pay attention to my manager, though the favour was sure to be a personal one.

“ ... I’ve been trying to get her to go out with me for ages. Now she’s finally agreed to, but only as a foursome. It seems that she doesn’t trust me.” He partially explained.

I worked out that some woman he’d been chasing had relented, but he needed me as his wingman.

“Okay,” I agreed, after all, I had little else on lately. “When, where and what’s mine like?”

“Tonight, around eightish at that new Thai place in Newcastle.” He told me, confidently. “Penny, that’s your date, is around thirty ... ish, I’m told she’s a really nice person.”

“Okay!” I grimaced. Describing somebody as a ‘nice person’ usually meant that they were just that – on the inside, but lacking somewhat in the looks department. As soon as that thought passed through my head, I mentally chastised myself. I was supposed to be looking for a nice woman rather than just an attractive one; old habits seemed to die hard. The name Penny also invoked memories of Miss Stockton, who having cancelled our lunch date hadn’t called to reschedule as she’d promised.

“David, this is Sophia,” Pete said as we met the women in the restaurant foyer, “and her friend Penny.”

I gave each of the women the usual two air kisses either side of their faces, whilst looking them over.

Sophia was everything Pete always went for in a woman, tall, blonde, very attractive with amazing legs and boobs, though the latter were a bit too big for my ideal. She was also heavily made up and not even a single wisp of her (dyed?) blonde hair was out of place. The boobs looked the best money could buy. I was not surprised that he’d been chasing her.

Penny couldn’t have been different. She was smaller, petite really, with long mousy hair that had seen a brush often enough to maintain its natural sheen, but not quite enough to tame it. Her make-up was limited in quantity as well as application. Only around her eyes and lips was it discernible, and even then only just.

She looked up at me before turning to her friend. “Couldn’t you find anyone taller? This one can be no more than a foot and a half taller than me.” She asked her face deadpan.

“Sorry Pen! I didn’t know.” Her friend said, oblivious to the sarcasm in Penny’s voice.

I smiled as I caught a glimpse of raised eyebrow. Whilst not one to turn heads, my date seemed to be fun. I immediately felt better about the evening. When I had first recognised her, I’d been a little worried that the evening could become a little difficult. It also appeared that Penny preferred to keep our prior acquaintance to herself.

“Pixie or Elf?” I asked, grinning.

“Take you pick Lurch, as long as it’s not a gnome, I don’t care.” Penny instantly responded with a similar grin.

“Oh dear!” Sophia said to Pete. “I don’t think they like each other.”

My friend looked at me with a minute shake of the head. It seemed his date wasn’t the brainiest gal in town. In fact, I wondered how these two were friends. It was such a puzzle, I decided to ask.

“We work together.” Sophia told me. “I’m the receptionist at the Mercedes garage. Penny works in the office. Something with computers I think.”

Another raise of Penny’s eyebrows preceded. “DBA.”

She looked at me, and I could almost see the hope in her eyes, that she wouldn’t need to explain what a Database Administrator was.

“Impressive,” I said, “What database; Oracle?”

“I wish! No just SQL Server. You know databases then?”

“Not really. I’ve had my own company for a while now and when I was starting up I needed the accurate information that only a database could provide. As I couldn’t afford anyone to do the work at the time, I taught myself. Originally just Access but later basic SQL.”

With that we started talking computers and databases and though it was obvious that she knew far more than me about both subjects, never did I get the feeling that she was talking down at me. We were still talking when we were taken to our table.

“Thai Fish Cakes for me, followed by a Massaman Curry.” I stated to the waitress without even glancing at the menu.

“You come here regularly then?” Sophia asked, her first direct question to me, at least that I could recall.

“No! First time, but I love Thai food and I judge a new restaurant by those to dishes. If they prove to be good, then next time I will try something different.”

“ ... and if they’re not?” Penny asked.

“He won’t come here again.” Pete answered for me.

“Then we’d better make sure that they are good.” The waitress interjected with a smile.

“If it’s half as nice as that smile of yours, then I’ll be more than happy to return.” I grinned.

The waitress’ smile grew even broader as she took everyone else’s order.

“Do you always chat other women up when you’re out on a date?” Penny asked mischievously.

“Depends who I’m with. Besides that wasn’t a chat up, that was just a bit of fun. Anyway, she only looks about twelve.” I exaggerated. “I would have thought that you liked her too.”

“Why?” Sophia asked, looking puzzled.

“‘Coz she makes me look tall,” laughed my date.

The food was good, not the best I’d had, but good enough to return. When I told my fellow diners my conclusion, Penny giggled, telling me that I just wanted to see the waitress again. Throughout the meal, there had been two distinct conversations going on, with only the rare moment when all four of us shared a topic.

“We fancy moving on to a nightclub, that alright with you two?” Pete asked. The three of them had shared a bottle of house white, which I knew would not be sufficient for Pete. It was probably the only area where the two of us really disagreed. He enjoyed his drink, too much in my humble opinion. Before he worked for me, he often drove after a few beers. I had made it a condition of employment that he was never to do it again, even after one drink. Credit to the man, as far as I was aware, he never had.

I could tell by Penny’s face that, that was not alright. I wondered whether it was me or just nightclubs she didn’t like much. I thought that we’d got on great, so I hoped it wasn’t me. Also, she didn’t look the nightclub type of girl.

“Not for me thanks.” I said, “but, if you’re happy to go ahead without your chaperone, then I’m more than happy to ensure that Penny gets safely home.”

Pete and Sophia whispered to each other. “What about you Pen?” Asked Sophia.

“You know clubbing is not my scene, so I’d rather not, if you don’t mind.”

“Okay then, I trust Peter a bit more now, so I’ll see you at work.”

Pete had already agreed to pick up the tab, initially joking that he would just put it on his expenses as his boss never checked.

“Do you want a lift home, a walk to the taxi stand, or what?” I asked, as we headed outside.

“A lift home, if you don’t mind.” She replied, “though don’t get any ideas.”

“ ... and what sort of ideas would I likely to be getting then?”

“I’ve heard all about you...”

I was surprised at that. “What and who from?” I enquired.

“That you can charm any woman out of her knickers but never stayed around long enough to see her put them back on, and as to whom, that’ll be my secret.”

I thought for a moment. The initial feeling of indignation evaporated when I realised that such a reputation was probably accurate and deserved.

“I suppose I once deserved that reputation, though in my defence, I never forced anyone into anything.”

“You say once. You can’t expect me to believe that you’ve changed just for little old me? In fact, why the charm for me in the first place? From what I’ve heard, I’m not your type.”

“Okay, to answer your questions. Once it was, I have changed and I accept it is very recently, though not as recent that you can claim the credit.” I said the last bit with a grin.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.