Rambling - Cover

Rambling

Copyright© 2018 by Telephoneman

Chapter 2: Kim and Kyle

I didn’t speak directly to Nadine for over three weeks, although we did share a number of emails. My ankle had healed completely, so in my last communication, I’d suggested meeting up for a walk. Her reply was not quite what I had in mind. She agreed to the hike, but included two others, as part of her acceptance. Kyle was to be her ‘date’, whilst Kim would provide company for me. She promised more details about Kim, if it was acceptable.

I wasn’t really too happy, but after some thought, realised that I had no right to hope, let alone expect, Nadine would suddenly become enchanted with me. Even without my attraction to her, I found Nadine great company, and a good walk was always enjoyable, so I agreed.

By return I got a description, and even a photograph, of Kim. Kim and Kyle were siblings, with Kim the elder by almost ten years. Nadine and Kim had met a few years ago at a local Ramblers Association meeting. Both were just getting into it, and both being new, female, single and a similar age, they naturally drifted towards each other. They had been friends ever since.

Kyle had had a schoolboy crush on Nadine, she wrote that she found that cute, embarrassing and amusing all at the same time. Knowing Nadine’s penchant for the younger man, Kim had made her brother’s dreams come true and they’d been seen each other for a couple of weeks. Apparently, it was Nadine’s narration of the date with William that had been the spark for Kim to act.

I didn’t know why Nadine thought I needed all this background on her new boyfriend and his sister.

Kim’s photograph showed that she was a heavy set girl, somewhere in her late twenties. She was by no means fat, but as my mother used to say ‘she’s got meat on her bones’. I thought she looked a good few years younger than Nadine, who’s age I still wasn’t sure about, but the picture gave no hint when it was taken.

As agreed, we met up at the ‘Cat & Fiddle’ pub, on the notorious A537 Buxton to Macclesfield road. The A537 is a very twisty, often quite empty, road, favoured by bikers. Sadly, for similar reasons, it is also the most dangerous road in England, so often driven or rode far too fast. Most modern bikes will cope quite easily with the road, whatever the speed. Sadly, the same can’t be said for the ability of many riders.

Unsurprisingly, there were a number of bikes on the pub car-park as I pulled in. Being a proper man, I couldn’t resist looking them over. I was still doing so, when I heard Nadine call my name.

I turned to see her, and presumably, Kim and Kyle walking towards me. The photo of Kim appeared to be a few years old, as she now looked as old, if not older than Nadine. That was in keeping with her brother’s appearance. He looked in his early twenties, ruggedly good-looking and oozing youthful confidence. I took an instant dislike to him, no doubt helped by him taking Nadine’s hand as they approached.

Kim, as her picture had suggested, was an average looking woman, a bit on the thick-set side. Not my normal type at all. As they covered the distance between us, I wondered just why I’d agreed to come. As greetings, I got a peck on the cheek from Nadine and a firm handshake from the siblings. Kyle also greeted me with a big, and genuine looking, smile.

“Glad to see that you’ve turned up. I didn’t fancy having two bossy females to myself.”

“Bossy?” I asked, with Nadine echoing the question a moment later.

“Have you met a woman that wasn’t bossy? I know I haven’t.” He laughed.

I paused, as if giving his question my due consideration. “Nope! Can’t say that I have.” I answered, then added, “So what’s the plan for today?”

“Head off down towards Panniers Bridge, then across to the Roaches. Kim has dropped her car off at ‘The Rock’, which will save having to walk back along the same route.”

“Good plan, should be a nice little trek.” I responded, knowing that ‘The Rock’ was a nice little pub at the southern tip of the Roaches.

We all grabbed our rucksacks, with me adding my monopod, which after the last episode, I’d decided could double as a walking stick, before setting off at a steady rate. It was soon obvious that we were all fairly evenly experienced. I’d been rambling longer but the two girls got out more often. Kyle had only started a couple of years ago, but with the enthusiasm and fitness of youth, was out and about almost every weekend.

The trail is a scenic route through the picturesque countryside. It is also relatively easy one for experienced walkers, and along much of its path there is room for at least two abreast. Kim and Kyle seemed to take it in turn to walk alongside me. Despite my biased misgivings, Kyle turned out to be a really likeable young man. It didn’t take long to forget that he was here as Nadine’s ‘date’, and to just accept him as he was.

Kim was a different matter. She talked in that polite fashion that says ‘I’m conversing with you because I should, not because I want to.’ As I was at least a decade older than her, I wasn’t expecting her to fancy me or anything, but it soon became abundantly clear that she wasn’t happy with things. If I’d said, or done, something wrong, then I could have understood her attitude, but it had been there from the moment we met.

After over an hour of it, I decided to say something. I waited until Nadine and Kyle were ahead of us, before I slowed my pace just slightly, enough to be able to talk without being overheard.

“So Kim, just what is it about me that you don’t like?”

She turned sharply. “Who says I don’t like you?”

“Anybody who saw us together. You’ve been polite, but distant, since we met. It’s clear that you don’t want to be near me, and you are only doing so to let your brother and your friend have some space and time together.”

“Nadine is very happy with Kyle,” Kim said sharply, almost hissing her words. “She does not need some old pervert chasing after her. Because she’s such a nice person, and, for some strange reason, she promised to go walking with you, she was determined to keep her word. Although she didn’t see the risk of being out here alone with you, I did.”

“So you took it on yourself to play the martyr? Didn’t think that Kyle alone was enough to protect your friend?” I asked, my voice heavy with sarcasm.

“It wouldn’t have been very nice to have you arguing with Kyle over her, besides they need some time together ... without someone like you interfering.”

“I do like Nadine, I’ll admit, but, and it’s a big but, she has made it quite clear that she has no interest in me as anything other than a friend. I can, and have, accepted that. She stayed the night at my house...” I paused when I saw the shock on Kim’s face. “ ... and if I was like you believe me to be, I could have taken advantage then. I didn’t.”

“Nadine! Kyle! Can you hold up a moment?” I shouted ahead. When they did that, I rushed ahead to join them.

“I’ve decided to go back.” I told them.

“Why?” They asked, simultaneously.

“Kim has made her views clear. Let’s just say that I don’t want to spend another moment in her company.”

Both, again simultaneously, looked at Kim, who appeared very smug. My leaving was obviously high up on her wish list.

“I’ve really enjoyed meeting you Kyle.” I said, holding my hand out.

“You too,” he said, shaking it. “I can’t persuade you to change your mind?”

“Sorry! Anyway, enjoy the rest of your walk.”

Nadine approached me, and gave me a firm hug. “Sorry!” she whispered, “I’ll call you tomorrow sometime.”

I nodded, then turned and headed back.

The way back entailed me passing over the small but old Pannier’s Bridge. It’s also known as Three Shires Head, as it is where Staffordshire, Derbyshire and Cheshire meet. In years gone by, before we had a national police force, it was a common venue for many an illegal pastime. Bare-knuckle fights, bear bating were just two of the them. If the police from one county arrived, they’d just step over the bridge and out of jurisdiction.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.