Dynasty and Destiny; Book 6 of Poacher's Progress - Cover

Dynasty and Destiny; Book 6 of Poacher's Progress

Copyright© 2018 by Jack Green

Chapter 17: Aftermath

Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent was furious, but even in her fury she radiated a regalness to be admired.
.”I have never been so humiliated in all my life,” she said, her bosom heaving with anger. “There will be no more Loyal Addresses. I refuse to be placed in such an embarrassing situation again.”
Sir John began, “But your Royal High...”
She quelled him with an icy glare, which she then turned on me.

“I blame you, Sir Elijah, for placing me in the demeaning position of having to accede to the demands of those...” She paused trying to find the correct terminology to show her disgust, and not having the appropriate English word, relapsed into German “ ... untermenschen.”
I bit my tongue as an angry reply bubbled to the surface, and spoke in as conciliatory a tone as I could muster, considering I was fuming inside.

“Those untermenschen you speak of were loyal, honest, hardworking, Englishmen. It is their labour, in foundries, coalmines, potteries, and textile factories that provides the wealth that allows Britain to leads the world in commerce and trade. They did not demand but merely requested that Your Royal Highness present their petition to the King.”
I forced a sycophantic smile on to my face before continuing. “And may I say how well you and Princess Alexandrina conducted yourselves in such a fervid atmosphere.”

“You should have ordered the Yeomanry to ride them and their supporter down. That is how untermenschen were dealt with in Coburg.”

“But this is England, Your Royal Highness, and such an action would have led to a massacre to make the Peterloo Massacre appear as a vicar’s tea party. There were not enough military present to quell the riot that would have ensued, which could have ended with the Royal Party being slaughtered. The crowd would have torn the party on the platform apart, limb from limb.”

She gave a snort of disdain, and then looked around the room.
“Where is Captain Erzählenman? He will attest how a troop of horsemen can intimidate the most vicious of crowds.”
I leaned in closer and spoke quietly. “May I speak with you in private, Madam?”
She noted the serious expression on my face.

“Does it concern the whereabouts of Captain Erzählenmann?”

“Partly, but also something even more important.”
She nodded, and then spoke to those in the room. “We will discuss our future plans tomorrow morning. You are dismissed.”

After the excitement in Birmingham the Royal Party were glad of the bucolic charm of Selly Oak House, home of Mr. Henry Boyd McKeen, our host for the night, a local physician, and well respected lay preacher of the Methodist persuasion. Selly Oak House was on the itinerary of the Royal Progress and there was plenty of accommodation in the house, barns, and stables.

The Duchess sat in an armchair by the fire while I took the more utilitarian straight backed dining room chair.
“Well, where is Wilhelm?” She asked.

“He has vanished, Madam, but he is not who he professes to be. He is a Russian agent.”

“Wilhelm a Russian? That is absurd. He speaks perfect, fluent, German, although his Prussian accent is sometimes difficult to understand.”
“He is a Volga German, Madam.”
She stared at me, her mouth agape. “Prince Igor Vladimir Andreyevich Stuart-Stroganov!”

“Yes. How do you... ?”

“I too have seen the scroll of the succession of the English crown, Jack.”
With her use of my diminutive name, I knew I was back in favour.

“He has fooled us all, Madam...”

“As we are alone you may call me Vicky, Jack.”
She pronounced the name as ‘Wicky’, and I nearly laughed aloud, thinking how Mimi had perfectly mimicked her accent.

“Thank you, err, Vicky. We can expect another attempt on...”

“To think I had him in my...”She paused in thought. “He would have had plenty of opportunities to – harm – Alexandrina during the time he spent at Mount Bank Hall, and at the Loyal Address at Leamington Spa. Why wait until Birmingham to carry out the foul deed?”

“I believe he intended the mob to – harm – the Princess during the riot he fomented. He would not have been suspected, although both Captain Hutton and I had our suspicions he was not what he professed to be.”

“And we can expect him to try again?”
I nodded. “Unfortunately, yes. He knows our route and itinerary and will be able to pick his time and place to suit.”

She pursed her lips in thought. “Attending a Loyal Address obviously gives an assassin the optimum opportunity to commit murder, and the King has decreed such Loyal Addresses must be attended. However, I do have the authority to decide where and when Loyal Addresses are given. Tomorrow I will consult with Sir John, and Mister Appleby, and you of course, Jack, as to our future progress, and in which towns we will receive an Address.”
She rose from her chair, as did I.

“I am sorry I snapped at you earlier, Jack. I admit I was affrighted when confronted by those unter... , by those honest English artisans, not for myself but for Alexandrina. I love my daughter, and will give my life to have her ascend the throne. Anything, or anyone, who stands in her way must be overcome. I know I cannot do that by myself, and ask that you will help me defend and protect Alexandrina.”

I bowed and kissed her hand. “I am a loyal subject of His Majesty the King, and have sworn to defend him, his heirs, and successors. You have my word that I will protect and defend your daughter with my life, Vicky.”
She gazed at me with tears in her brilliant blue eyes. Then her soft lips landed on mine, and stuck like a leech. I responded, my tongue slipping effortlessly into her mouth. For several delightful moments we remained lip locked, with tongues and breath mingled, then gently, reluctantly, I disengaged. We stood gazing into each other’s eyes, while breathing heavily. She was the first to speak.
“I have been twice married, both times as a duty to my family and to provide children. My first husband was over twice my age, and although he was considerate and kind, we had nothing in common. We led separate lives after I had borne him two children. My second husband was nearer to my age, and I hoped for a loving relationship, but he was cold and cruel. As soon as he had impregnated me he went back to his mistress.”

I saw the sadness on her face, and was tempted to hold her close. However I knew it could lead to places we should not contemplate going, and I ached for her unhappiness.

“I envy your wife, Jack. I wish I could have married for love, but it was not meant to be.” She swished past me to the door, where she turned, her hand on the doorknob. “I will see you in the morning, Sir Elijah?”
I bowed. “It will be, as always, my pleasure, Your Royal Highness.”


I let out a great groan of release, pleasure, and fulfilment as I loosed my seed into Mimi. The breath from her cries of ecstasy warmed my ear, and my heart We lay alongside each other, exhausted.

“That was something special, Jacques. Have you been using Professor Potter’s Potent Prowess Providing Potion?”
I heard the laughter in her voice. She had named Callum’s potion with a fine example of alliteration, although I doubt her amusing title would fit on a label.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.