Dynasty and Destiny; Book 6 of Poacher's Progress
Chapter 13: By still waters

Copyright© 2018 by Jack Green

Near Leamington Spa; on the Grand Junction Canal. April 1832.

“And this gentleman is Captain Wilhelm Erzählenmann of the Prussian Third Hussars, on attachment to the Fourth Light Dragoons.”
Captain Hutton, the officer in charge of the troop of cavalry assigned as escort to The Progress, stopped in front of a man who was the epitome of le beau sabreur. The Prussian was at least six feet tall, broad shouldered and narrow waisted, with thick dark curly hair, a fierce moustache, and deep-set brown eyes. His self-confident air, coupled with a nonchalant, debonair, attitude proclaimed him an experienced ladies’ man, or ‘madge badger ‘ as the rank and file would call such a man.
I held out my hand. “Wilkommen in England, Rittmeister.”
He clasped my hand with a firm grip and gave a vigorous shake, and replied
“Vielen Dank, Herr Oberst!”


My suggestion of conducting the Royal Progress by barge had not been fully taken up, although the journey from London to Birmingham, and from Bristol to London, would be made by canal. However, as many of the Great Houses where the Royal Party intended staying overnight were situated several miles from the canal carriages and coaches were needed to transfer the Royal Party from barge to their overnight accommodation. Accordingly, The Progress between Birmingham and Bristol would be carried out by road, with Captain Hutton’s troop augmented with the troop of the 4th Light Dragoons currently in Birmingham.

There were two barges assigned to The Progress; one for the Royal Party – ‘Britannia - and the other, which did not qualify for a name but only a number – K9 - for the escort and sundry other menials.
Sir John Conroy had great pleasure in informing me I was quartered, along with Mimi, in K9, a much less comfortably furnished vessel than Britannia.

“The Royal Party will be staying overnight, and at times for several days, at the homes of the more important families in the area.” He announced.
“The Royal Party consists of Their Royal Highnesses the Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandrina, the Princess’s governess Baroness Lehzen, myself, and the ladies maid of the Duchess and of the Princess.”
A self-satisfied smirk spread across his face as he delivered this information, and I was hard put not to wipe it off with my fist.
“When required your two daughters will be included in the Royal Party, as will their nursemaid,” he concluded, his tone of voice making it clear that my daughters were considered only as accessories, and even more menial than the personal servants of the Duchess and Princess were.
My displeasure soon turned to delight when the Duchess later countermanded his orders. Mimi was to accompany the twins when they were on the barge, and I, as the person responsible for the safety of the whole party, was also to be accommodated on board Britannia.

Before we had left London I had made a tentative estimate that it would take seven days to travel the 137 miles from Camden Lock in London to Gas Street Basin in Birmingham. However, the itinerary of The Progress drawn up by the Home Office made a mock of my supposed timings.
From day one it became obvious that more time was to be spent meeting influential members of the landed gentry than travelling.

It was after breakfast, near 11 am, before the barges would slip their moorings and start the morning’s travel. Troopers would be sent ahead to secure the bridges spanning the canal as the barges glided beneath.
At the locks the lock keeper and his staff were reinforced by stalwart dragoons to open and close the lock gates in as swift a manner as possible. Lunch was served on Britannia as the barges moved sedately along the canal.
The barges would tie up at around 4 pm at a canal basin closest to the house chosen for the night’s stay, where the Royal Party would disembark. I would accompany the troopers of the 4th Light Dragoons escorting the Royal Party to the house and oversee the placement of piquets and sentries. Captain Hutton, or one his two capable and competent subordinates, Lieutenant Graveney and Cornet Cowdray, would remain overnight with the guards.
I would return to the canal basin, where Mimi and I had Britannia to ourselves, which we certainly made the most of.

If the Royal Party were scheduled to continue their journey the next day they would be escorted by the 4th Light Dragoons back to Britannia by 10 a.m., and we would cast off when all the personnel and their baggage were aboard. It became clear that most stays ashore would be at least two nights, as banquets and balls were held in those homes of the rich and influential where the Royal Party stayed.

“Why give banquets and balls for a thirteen year old princess?” I said. “She and my daughters will be in bed and fast asleep before the first guests arrive.”
Captain Hutton laughed. “The balls and banquets are not in Princess Alexandrina’s honour but to allow the Duchess and Sir John to gain support among those who sit in Parliament.”
He saw I was perplexed by his answer, and explained the real reason behind this Royal Progress.

“In a constitutional monarchy, as is that of the United Kingdom, the true power lies in the hands of the governing party in Parliament. Rulers have attempted to influence the decisions made by government with little success. George IV was constantly at loggerheads with whatever shade of government was in power, and after a good start William IV now finds his influence waning.”
Warming to his subject, Hutton continued. “When Alexandrina ascends the throne her mother and Sir John Conroy hope to have many of the more influential politicians in their pocket, or at least minded to do as Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent decrees, via her submissive daughter, the now Queen Alexandrina. Money plays a great part in winning over supporters, and some of the Great Houses being visited are rich in that commodity but lacking another highly prized commodity, that of breeding. In the past the men who held the power in Parliament – aristocrats and the Landed gentry – also held large swaths of the country. These long established families, the great families of England – the likes of Spencer, Neville, Howard, Stanley, Russel, Beaufort, Herbert, Talbot, Montague and Woodville – can trace their lineage back five hundred years. Over time many of these families lost their lands, the associated wealth, and sometimes their heads, due to the vicissitudes of the banking system, gambling, incompetence, or earning the enmity of the King. In these modern times former tradespeople are making huge fortunes; in coal mining, iron foundries, textile mills, trade and commerce. These new rich folk are now courted by the sort of people who at one time would have sent them to the tradesmen entrance of their stately home. Titles and honours are being dangled in front of those aspiring to join the landed gentry class in order to gain their support, so their backing, and wealth, can be put behind a politician of choice.”

I was rather surprised at Hutton’s rather jaundiced view of ‘Society’, and in fact the whole tenor of his conversation -- not the usual topic conducted between military men. However, Hutton was an eloquent speaker, and I allowed him to continue in a subject rarely, if ever, discussed in a Regimental Mess.

“One reason your daughters are accompanying the Princess is to show the offspring of ‘common’ people can be associated with Royalty. They are being used as an example what might be on the cards if they acquiesce to the Duchess and Conroy’s plans for the future,” said Captain Hutton.
He saw the anger flood my face at the thought of my girls being used in such a manner, and he quickly damped down my impeding explosion of fury.

“Of course, it is plain to see there is genuine affection between your daughters and the Princess.”
I gave a non-committal grunt. I suppose seeing my girls hobnobbing with Royalty might have the effect Hutton suggested.

In the few days I had known him – his troop had met the barges at Southall a day after leaving Camden Lock – I had come to respect Captain Leonard Hutton’s judgment and opinions.
He was at least five years older than I was, and although always impeccably and immaculately dressed I noticed his uniform was worn and faded with age. The 4th Light Dragoons had an officer corps drawn from some of the oldest and richest families in England – Cornet Cowdray was the youngest son of an Earl, and Lieutenant Graveney’s father was a Viscount – and their Saville Row made uniforms, and expensive saddlery and accouterments reflected the high status of their respective families. Hutton clearly was not from the same stable, so to speak, and in fact he came right out and told me his antecedents.

His father had been the owner of a textile factory, and had made a great deal of money in a short space of time. He bought his son a lieutenant’s commission in a cavalry regiment, not the 4th Light Dragoons but one with not quite so rich a pedigree in the officer ranks. After a particularly good financial year Hutton senior purchased Leonard a Captaincy in the 4th, although Leonard was quite content to serve in his current regiment as lieutenant.

“It was a bad move for me and my father. Six months after buying the commission his business failed, due to his recklessness in share dealing. The allowance he paid me ended, and now I have to live solely on my army pay.” He gave a sigh of resignation. “I am afraid it does not stretch far when one has a wife, a son and two daughters to keep, with the prospect of another child in a few months’ time. My wife gives pianoforte lessons to help with our expenses, and I had to withdraw my boy from Oundle. He now attends the local grammar school in Colchester; although he probably enjoys a better academic education there than he did at Oundle. Of course, sending a boy to a Public School is not only about receiving a good education but also to make connections that will be of use in later life.”
Hutton’s face took on a sorrowful expression.” As for my daughters, and the unborn child if it should be female, I dread to think what will befall them. Forced to be companions to cantankerous old women, or governesses to spoilt children I dare say.” He sighed, “At least your daughters’ future should be plain sailing, whatever happens to you, Colonel.”

“I suppose that will depend on how the relationship between the Duchess and I develops. I had pride of place after saving her from a coach crash, but think Captain Wilhelm Erzählenmann has replaced me in her affections. He has scarce left her side these past five days, and if the rumours of his...”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.