Dynasty and Destiny; Book 6 of Poacher's Progress - Cover

Dynasty and Destiny; Book 6 of Poacher's Progress

Copyright© 2018 by Jack Green

Chapter 9: Time marches on #1

January 1826 – October 1828. Flanders and England
Between 1826 and 1831 Mimi and I, with our children, made two visits each year to England. On each occasion, we were invited to Kensington Palace for afternoon tea. I deemed it impolite, possibly even lese–majesty, to refuse such a Royal Command, and consequently Mollie and Caroline became close friends with Princess Alexandrina.

At first the princess thought herself too old to play with the twins, but over time the three girls would play, and giggle, together.
Princess Alexandrina possessed a wonderful doll’s house filled with exquisitely made miniature furniture, cooking utensils and cutlery. There were also perfectly proportioned dolls, and the three girls would spend hours rearranging the rooms, and dressing and undressing the miniature dolls. I noticed none of them ever played with the cooking utensils.

The twins, although not identical, share certain mannerisms if not looks or characters. Mollie is the adventurous one of the two, and more prone to boredom than Caroline, who is more observant, relaxed and easy going most of the time. Needless to say, both girls can scream blue murder when things are not as they wish. Mollie has a comic streak, and often acts the fool, causing Princess Alexandrina to roar with laughter at her antics, although usually the solemn little soul maintains her dignity and is not often amused.

During the afternoon tea meetings Mimi kept a close eye on Victoria, Duchess of Kent, believing the royal personage had designs on my body. That is as may be, but I can assure you I had no designs on hers. Gossip had it Sir John Conroy kept the duchess warm in bed at night. It may be true, but I would imagine the duchess was the dominant partner in any relationship, if there was such a relationship. It was also rumoured that chosen members of the military personnel, responsible for the safety of the inhabitants of the royal palace, also furnished the duchess with companionship, close companionship, and I noted she knew the names of several of the Life Guards and Foot Guards who attended her.


On most of my visits to London, I would call in on Mordecai Rothstein at his jewellery shop in Hatton Garden. I had sold him the Star of David diamond for a sum well below the market price, believing the sacred Jewish heirloom belonged with The Chosen People rather than with a goy. Rabbi Rothstein, Mordecai’s father, had been so delighted to have the diamond returned to its rightful owners he had presented me with an amulet, which had been the key to a fruitful relationship with the Jewish communities of Naples and Valenciennes.
The first time I visited, in September 1826, I passed on greetings from Shadrack of Naples, who had been apprenticed to the Rothsteins as a diamond cutter.

“Shadrack was a competent enough diamond cutter but a far better businessman. I am not surprised he has his own establishment.” Mordecai said.
I was surprised and delighted to learn Miriam had born Mordecai a son.

“We named him Elijah in your honour, Colonel.” Mordecai said, “For it was after you selling us the Star of David that our fortune increased, both in wealth and happiness.”
I congratulated the proud father, and exchanged a glance full of meaning with the equally proud mother.


On January 5th 1827 Frederick, Duke of York, and first in line to the throne, died. I only learned of his death on January 8th on my arrival at Dover, en route for London and Grantham, accompanying Jean–Woodrow to The King’s School. Mimi and the girls were not with me as Mollie was suffering an attack of croup and Mimi refused to leave her side, however I did have Josh Chamberlain as my valet and travelling companion.
Frederick’s funeral was scheduled for the 20th of the month, and I remained in London to attend the ceremony. The Duke of York had done much for me and my career, and was a man whom I held in the highest respect. Britain would have been better served if Frederick rather than George had been the older brother.
I sent Jean–Woodrow off to Grantham accompanied by Josh Chamberlain, and would join them after the funeral.

It was a solemn affair; the body of the Duke lay in state at Westminster Abbey for several days due to the number of people wishing to pay their respects. The general public had more regard for Frederick than any of George III’s other sons, and crowds lined the route when, after the service, his body was transported from the Abbey to the Thames, and then by barge to Windsor, to be interred at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle.


In Grantham after the funeral, I asked Josh Chamberlain how Jean-Woodrow had reacted to starting school.

“Well enough, Colonel, given that young boys with any spirit hate going to the school room. He had plenty of friends glad to see him back in Grantham, and his grandparents are like dogs with two tails to have him home again. His uncle Arlow has a smile a mile wide.”
I spent a week in Grantham, glad to see Jean-Woodrow, or John as he was known in Grantham, was happy to be among his many friends in the town. He had played with boys from Wallers when at Blanchards, but as he grew older he also grew apart from those who, when he became Master of Blanchards, would be his employees.
While in Grantham I inquired at my former employers, solicitors Mortimer, Teazle, and Grubb, if any properties had come onto the market, and was astonished to be informed ‘Coromandel,’ the former residence of my Great Aunt Jemima, was up for sale.

The house had deteriorated over the past few years; the current owner had lost a deal of money on the stock market and was facing bankruptcy and debtors’ prison. The asking price was well below the market value as he needed a quick sale. I could probably have forced down the price even lower – the man was desperate for ready cash – but I do not believe in kicking a man when he is down, unless the man would beat to me to a pulp if I did not, so I paid the asking price.
There was much renovation and repair work required to make the house habitable and comfortable, and I dare say Mimi would want alterations made to some of the rooms to better suit family living.
I engaged a builder to carry out the necessary repair work, leaving Josh to oversee the work. Any other building work would have to wait until Mimi viewed the property and decided what improvements be carried out.
Josh did not appear to be unduly upset at not returning to Blanchards, and I surmised the burgeoning romance between him and Claudette was at an end.

Mimi and the girls, with Mollie now fully recovered, returned with me to Grantham in July 1827, first stopping off for our customary afternoon tea at Kensington Palace. The duchess was in a buoyant mood throughout the afternoon, no doubt buoyed up by the six feet six inches tall Life Guard who acted as her personal bodyguard.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.