9 July 2008 - Cover

9 July 2008

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Chapter 4

“And now the time of reckoning has arrived for these sixteen hopefuls,” Ben began. “In order to have a top ten, the bottom three from each performance night will be eliminated.”

“I will call up four at a time, two from each group, and announce who has been eliminated and who will be in the top ten.”

“Will Martin Kerr, Mark Day, Gary Morisette, and Drew Wright, please come forward. Canada, you have voted, and the first to take a seat in the top ten is ... Mark Day. Martin Kerr, unfortunately, your Idol journey ends tonight. Gary Morisette, you have also been eliminated. Drew Wright, you have earned the second, top ten seat.”

The audience applauded those advancing as well as those leaving.

“Will Mookie Morris, Earl Stevenson, Theo Tams, and Katherine St-Laurent please come forward?” They stood side by side. Congratulations! All four of you are in the top ten!”

More cheers and applause were given to the four.

“Next, can I have Omar Lunan, Katelyn Dawn, Amberly Thiessen, and Mitch MacDonald?” They stood in line, nervously waiting. “Amberly and Mitch, you both are safe and in the top ten. Unfortunately, we have to say goodbye to Omar and Katelyn.”

Finally, will Adam Castelli, Sebastian Pigott, Brad Hayward, and Abby Kendall please join me?”

“Occupying the ninth of the top ten seats is ... Adam Castelli!” Ben announced.


Brad and Abby figured out the math. One of them would likely be going home. You could feel the tension mounting in the theatre, and fans hoped for their favourite to be the last selected.

“And now there is only one seat open in the top ten. Two of these three will be going home. With close to one million votes cast, there were only an amazing fifty-two votes separating these three.”

“The person in twelfth place and leaving tonight is ... Brad Hayward!”

Gasps and cries of shock filtered through the theatre; almost everyone was certain Brad would be in the top ten. The judges also looked at each other with disbelief. Sebastian shook Brad’s hand.

Abby’s face had a blank stare. “I’m so sorry, my love.”

“It’s okay, Abby. You’re a better singer than I am,” Brad said, hugging her, then moved to the side of the stage to await Abby’s fate.

“And now, with only twelve votes separating eleventh and tenth, the person who is safe and has earned the last seat in the top ten is ... Sebastian Pigott!”

As Sebastian smiled and accepted Ben’s handshake, Abby was stunned. Another round of choruses of exclamations revealed everyone’s despair.

“This means that we, unfortunately, have to say goodbye to Abby Kendall,” Ben lamented.

She congratulated Sebastian, was overcome with grief, and sought out Brad. While Ben introduced Canadian Idol’s top ten, Abby wept into Brad’s embrace.

“I ... I thought that you or I were actually going to make it!” She sobbed.

“The same with me!” Brad was also overcome with grief and couldn’t help his tears of disappointment mixing with hers.


Moving backstage, they wiped away each other’s tears. “Thank you, Abby, for suggesting I try out for Idol.”

“You should have been number one! How could they not vote enough for you?”

“Just think you made it higher than I did!” He joked, and she lightly laughed. “There’s the smile that I love.”

The program ended with the contestants and judges coming backstage. Brad and Abby consoled the other four eliminated and congratulated the ten remaining. The Hayward and Kendall families appeared, and Abby hurried to the motherly comfort of Vicky. She shed more tears than did Brad. Comfort was offered for being eliminated and praise for their singing skills.

Zack, Farley, Sass, and Jake made the rounds, personally congratulating each of the top ten. Sass noticed Brad and Abby chatting with others and approached them. “I can’t believe that you or Brad didn’t make it into the top ten. Abby, you are such a gifted singer, and Brad, you have always captivated me with your voice.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.