9 July 2008 - Cover

9 July 2008

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Chapter 2

The following night brought the next eight performers into the spotlight. Abby was really into the excitement of performing each week and secretly confessed to Brad that she felt either one of them was good enough to win.

“Next up to try and win your votes singing, American Idol’s very first winner, Kelly Clarkson’s ‘Breakaway’ is Abby Kendall.”

The beat of the song was slightly quickened, and several lines were omitted. Abby knew she’d be flirting with the allotted time and hoped her performance would compensate for it.

‘Breakaway,’ words and music by Avril Ramona Lavigne, Bridget Louise Benenate, and Matthew Gerrard.

While the band did a shorter intro to save several seconds, Abby walked to her left on the stage.

Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I’d just stare out my window
Dreamin’ of what could be
And if I’d end up happy
I would pray

Trying hard to reach out
But when I tried to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me
Wanted to belong here
But something felt so wrong here
So I pray
I could breakaway

Abby moved to the right corner of the stage, taking a wide-legged stance, left arm reaching up high.

I’ll spread my wings, and I’ll learn how to fly
I’ll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I’ll make a wish
Take a chance
Make a change
And breakaway
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But I won’t forget all the ones that I love
I’ll take a risk
Take a chance
Make a change
And breakaway

Want to feel the warm breeze
Sleep under a palm tree
Feel the rush of the ocean
Get on board a fast train
Travel on a jet plane
Faraway
And breakaway

She moves to the left side and repeats the same motions.

I’ll spread my wings, and I’ll learn how to fly
I’ll do what it takes till I touch the sky
And I’ll make a wish, take a chance, and make a change
And breakaway
Out of the darkness and into the sun
I won’t forget all the ones that I love
I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway

Buildings with a hundred floors
Swinging ‘round revolvin’ doors
Maybe I don’t know where they take me
But gotta keep movin’ on
Movin’ on
Fly away
Breakaway

Returning to centre stage, she waves her left-hand side to side above her head, as in the video, and many in the audience joined her.

I’ll spread my wings, and I’ll learn how to fly
Though it’s not easy to tell you goodbye
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But I won’t forget the place I come from
I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And breakaway
Breakaway
Breakaway


Abby’s last note was lost to the resounding cheers and applause she received, her chest heaving from the effort involved in singing this song. Brad felt tingles of love and pride for Abby as he applauded long and hard. She made sure to acknowledge the band and supporting singers.

Ben approached her right side, then looked at the judges, “This time, we’ll start with Jake.”

“As we get deeper and deeper into this competition, the less is needed to say about a performance, unless it’s a total bomb. Abby, you did Kelly’s song great justice and I hope she or Avril Lavigne, who co-wrote, ‘Breakaway,’ will see your version of it.”

“Thank you,” she smiled, excited by his comments.

“Sass?”

“Wow! Abby, I find it hard to separate being a judge from being a fan. I could easily watch you headlining your own concert!”

“Thank you!” She beamed.

“Farley?”

“With each passing week, you seem more and more comfortable on stage. Great voice and a great presence, good job!”

“And lastly, Zack.”

“The others have said it well and I’ll reiterate that you do, look much more comfortable on stage, making use of it to reach out to your audience. I hope you keep going in the competition and look forward to what your next song choice would be.”

“Remember everyone, if want to see Abby in the top ten, you have to vote using the toll-free number shown below.”

Abby was welcomed by the other contestants, especially Brad.

“You are already my Canadian Idol,” he complimented, lifting her petite figure off the floor.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.