9 July 2008 - Cover

9 July 2008

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Chapter 1

Brad and Abby were having the time of their young lives. They had survived the voting to make it into the top twenty. The following week, Brad sang Nickelback’s, ‘If Everyone Cared’, and Abby’s choice was Avril Lavigne’s, ‘Keep Holding On.’ Both were voted into the top sixteen and gained a following of fans to cheer them on.

Two nights before the final vote, “We’ve said goodbye to eight contestants, and now begins the battle for those remaining to make it into the top ten. Hello, I’m Ben Mulroney, and welcome to Canadian Idol!”

Brad and Abby sat in the two rows of eight as the band, backup singers, and judges were introduced. Tonight, Brad is to sing third after Martin Kerr and Theo Tams.

“Next up, singing Evanescence’s ‘My Immortal,’ is Brad Hayward.” Though the judges knew each singer’s song choice, they were curious to hear Brad’s version of the song.

‘My Immortal,’ words and music by Ben Moody, David Hodges, and Amy Lee.

A second camera focused on Brad sitting at a keyboard as he began a short piano intro to the song. Again, he had to alter the song to fit into the allotted time.

I’m so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
‘Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won’t leave me alone

These wounds won’t seem to heal, this pain is just too real
There’s just too much that time cannot erase

Brad added muted supporting music, sounding like a stringed orchestra.

When you cried, I’d wipe away all of your tears
When you’d scream, I’d fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

A suspended, remotely operated camera focused close on Brad. He looked directly into the lens, continuing to sing as it panned from his right to left.

You used to captivate me by your resonating light
Now, I’m bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away all the sanity in me

I’ve tried so hard to tell myself that you’re gone
But though you’re still with me, I’ve been alone all along

The band begins with hard guitar and drum background music, and the singers increase their voices.

When you cried, I’d wipe away all of your tears
When you’d scream, I’d fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
You still have all of me, me, me

Brad ends the song on a long, quiet piano note.


The high-pitched screams of the mostly female audience filled the theatre. Brad looked wide-eyed at the response as he removed the microphone from its holder so he could be addressed by the judges. Brad made sure to again thank the band and singers.

Ben came to his side, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Farley, what do you think of Brad’s performance?”

“I can describe it with just one word: wonderstruck! While you were singing, I looked at the audience. Most of them watched you with wide-eyed, mouth partly open expressions of awe. They were struck by the wonder of your performance.”

“Thank you,” Brad smiled.

“Sass?”

“I love how you took a song by a well-known female singer and made it your own. Once again, you had us eating your performance from the palm of your hand. You definitely belong in the top ten!”

“Thank you so much!”

“Jake, your words on Brad’s performance.”

“As mentioned before, when you sit at the keyboard and perform, you replace your body movements with facial expressions that convey the emotions of the song. Good job.”

“Thank you for those kind words.”

“And finally, Zack.”

“Your performance and expressions took us on a journey through the pain felt by the song. One thing I like about you is that you seem to hit us with a song choice we wouldn’t expect from you and hit a home run.”

“Remember, if you want to see Brad make it into the top ten, you have to vote, and vote often by phone using the toll-free number listed below or text in your vote.”

Brad felt good about his routine and was greeted by the other contestants, especially with the loving embrace of Abby.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.