Sarge
Chapter 37

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

The rustic wooden picket fence I had build while I was commuting back and forth to Raleigh was going to come in handy, I decided. It would be my own dogie daycare. I thought it over and decided that Tiger would need to be in a fenced in area while I was out of town on a case. I didn’t think he would get into trouble on his own, but I still wanted someone to check on him. I called the night before, so Tonya’s daughter was going to stop by the lock shop after school. She was going to play with him and make sure he had water. She would also take a bowl of premixed dog food out of the refrigerator and carry it outside.

Tanya, her mother, was morning manager and part owner of the cafe by Walmart. I didn’t eat there so often anymore, but we were still friends. Her daughter was fourteen years old, so she rode a bike to school. I left a magnetic ‘hide a key’ box under the fender of the Kummer. Inside the box were two keys for her to use.

I had other plans for the fenced year yard as well. The plans included a secure area for vehicle storage because my driveway only had room for two full sized cars. One space I saved for guests, hence I needed the additional parking. When I built the grassed areas in the parking lot, I left five parking spaces in the rear just in case I needed them later. Well it looked as though I would need at least a couple of them at that moment.

The point I’m trying to make was that I had enough space for Tiger and his plastic dog house inside the fence without making any adjustments. It would work so long I was gone no more than a day or two. We could all survive that much dogie day care.

The second day after Tiger came to live with me, I started teaching him that he should come when he heard the silent dog whistle. It was easy, whistle equals dog treat. He got it in a day or two. I had bought three of those whistles at one time. One was on my key chain, one hung on a nail by the door, and the last one I stored in my gun safe. That was a simple metal fire resistant box. I had it sitting on the top shelf of my floor to ceiling book case type storage unit.

“So is Shelly still on for today?” I asked.

“Of course she is. You called her last night. She is going to call me, if anything happens. If not, I’ll go by at five to pick up Tiger and bring him to my house. Trust me I can handle it. So stop worrying. You are worse than I was on Shelly’s first day of school. If anything happens I have the vets address, and your cellphone so go and do your thing. If you have to stay just call we can handle it. Trust me Sarge, you thought of everything.” Tonya promised.

“Okay, I trust you both. I’ll put him inside the fence with a chew bone before I leave. You can put him back there Saturday morning.” I explained, then broke the connection.

Tiger and I kept each other company for an hour after the call. When Bitsy pull into the drive, we were just hanging out on the deck. It was a short walk from the deck to the gate of the new storage yard. I made it with Tiger and a large bucket of water in tow.

A few minutes later I brought my black backpack from the house and deposited it into the SUV’s fifth door. There was plenty of space for my folded up bike in the back seat. Inside the storage space there was one of those pieces of luggage on wheels. It was olive green. I was pretty sure it was a gift from Lucy2, since she had one just like it.

The reason I couldn’t get my folder bike in the cargo space was that Bitsy had one like it in there already. When I commented on it she said, “I can’t let you ride alone down there. You never know when there might be a prison break.” She smiled when she said it, but I had to wonder what else Lucy2 had filled her head with.

It was projected by Google to be a little over a six hour drive. With Bitsy behind the wheel, I knew it would less than that. I was projecting lunch would find us in the town of Reidsville. It would also be later than ordinary, which didn’t bother me at all. Without Addie, we had to fit our visit into the regular visiting hours. Which meant a very noisy room. Our time with Eddie Marsh would be limited.

We left Siler City at almost ten in the morning. I had taken my morning ride, so my breakfast had been a muffin while I waited for Bitsy. Even so I allowed myself only coffee when she stopped at a combination convenience store, restaurant, and gas station.

Bitsy had lost a couple of pounds in DC, but she hadn’t changed her eating habits. She had a bakery fresh cinnamon bun with the dangerous white icing, and coffee. I just had coffee black.

We stopped at Smiths Restaurant for a late lunch. I ordered a large hamburger and french fries. When it came I took it apart. I removed the bread and ate the burger, then the lettuce and tomato with a fork. I also removed a little over half the french fries before I started to eat. That half a meal was more than enough for me.

That leisurely meal was a joy. We weren’t hurried, because we had no where to be until the next day. It was Friday and we could not visit Eddie Marsh until Saturday or Sunday from 9AM till 3PM. I figured we only needed an hour at the most. With that amount of time for the interview, we had lots of time to kill in the unexciting town of Reidsville.

We checked into the Painted Lady motel. It looked like it had character. Yes, that’s something one might say, when they are trying not to offend anyone. The double room had a large bed and that was all I wanted. It was clean and the owners were extremely hospitable which was a bonus.

The first thing we did after checking in was to take the bikes for a long ride. Bitsy wore a pair of cargo pants much like my own. Those allowed me to wear a sweat shirt over a body vest made for a smaller sized sweat shirt, but the pants still allowed me to get to the .22 mag, just in case. I had a feeling learning how to dress tactically was another thing she learned from Lucy2.

Since I had more experience with small town biking, I led the way. We rode for an hour away from the motel, then rode back on pretty much the same course. It had become natural for me to check out the neighborhood, so I did it that as well.

When we returned to the motel it was twilight. We rolled the bikes into the room, then it was time for a shower and dinner. For some reason there was no discussion about the shower. We shared it. Since it was in a residential sized bathtub there were a lot of challenges. One was that it required lots of coordination, but it was doable.

Of course it ended in bed, so dinner was late happening. We got into the village pizza restaurant about 10PM. The pizza and salad were both excellent and the staff friendly and helpful. It was a leisurely meal eaten while we were still coming down from our sexual encounter. After the meal we returned to the motel to sleep. That of course is easier said than done. At least for me sharing the bed with a woman required a bit of an adjustment.

“You know we should do this more often,” Bitsy said.

“My bed is too narrow, and I have no idea where you live. When I asked, Addie told me it was none of my business.”

“She is right. It is none of your business,” Bitsy said kissing me.

“Okay then, it’s sex only when we are on the road?” I asked.

“We probably can’t spend the night together, but if you use your imagination that does not exclude sex. Think about it. I’ll bet your bed at home is wide enough for that,” she informed me.

When my buzzer rang, It was before 7AM, The first thing I did was to call Tonya. “So how is Tiger?” I asked after saying hello.

“He is fine, He slept with Shelly. He is a lot like you. He loves girls,” she laughed.

“Is that a bad thing?” I asked.

“Not in his case, but in yours Shelly is too young,” she said light heartedly. “So are you coming home tonight?”

“Yes but can you stop by to check on Tiger on your way home?” I asked.

“Of course Shelly may ride her bike over to play with him. Is that okay?” Tonya asked.

“Of course, If she needs to call him, tell her about the silent whistle by the door,” I said.

“Yes worry wort. He will be fine. I’ve got to run it’s a full house this morning,” Tonya advised me.

Bitsy came down in time to make our hour morning ride. We went out a different route, and caught the chill of the early morning sun. It seemed even colder with the morning air stirring. We stopped at a convenience store for coffee. We sat on a bench under the window till we warmed up. It was nice because we were inside. We were inside for about fifteen minutes before we finished out ride. It was another ten back to the motel.

I broke the bikes down before we went to the prison. We packed the car completely before we left for the prison. We had to leave anything metal locked in the car. The only electronics we were allowed was the small digital recorder. The SJL bought us a very expensive one. My plan was to allow them to donate it to Selfridge Investigations when we got home.

We arrived a few minutes too early and were forced to wait with the other visitors. Eddie Marsh wasn’t a big man. He was really just kind of an ordinary guy. He really didn’t even look like a killer, let alone a double murderer.

“Eddie Marsh?” I asked.

“You the guy from that Southern Justice League?” he asked.

“That’s me Ray Selfridge. This is my partner Bitsy Russell.” I used a phony name for her.

“I hear you are going to get me out.” he suggested.

“I’m no lawyer. The best I can do is give the lawyers more information to use in their plea for a new trial,” I suggested. “Our attorney thinks that if they can get a new trial, you might get out soon.”

“That would be so great,” he said.

“Then lets get down to work,” I said. I removed a digital timer from my pocket. In real life I used it to figure my bike speeds. I could enter the time and distance on a computer site, and it calculated the miles per hour average for me. I also had to enter the type of terrain into the site and it figured that in for the average miles per hour. I just did it for a hoot.

Anyway I told Eddie to concentrate on the numbers flying by. Now Eddie tell me as close as you can remember what you felt on the day before you killed your girlfriend.”

“Huh?” he asked.

“Were you two getting along. Were you still fucking? keep looking at the timer.” I demanded.

“We hadn’t been doing it for a while,” he said.

“Whose fault was that?” I asked.

“I guess it was mine. She needed me to help with the bills, and I didn’t want to leave her daughter. I know this is gonna sound awful, but her girl and me had been fucking for several months.” He suddenly got lost in it all. “Man she gave the sweetest blowjobs and her pussy was so tight it almost hurt me to fuck her.”

“Okay skip ahead to the day it all happened. What happened between your girl friend and her daughter?” I asked.

“I don’t know, honest to god. I just found her on the floor of the kitchen. There was blood everywhere. I ‘knowed’ she was dead without asking. I was cryin’ when I asked what happened. She told me she hit Sarah with the iron case she said she was gonna take me and leave.”

“What did you do then?” I asked.

“I went crazy. I don’t remember doing it, but next thing I knew I was covered in blood, and she was on the floor. I’m the one who called 911. That is gonna count for something ain’t it.”

“Like I said Eddie, I’m not a lawyer. Me and Bitsy are going to try to find some evidence to support your story, if we do our lawyer might think that it could get you a new trial.” I stood and shook his hand before I walked out the door. I was following Bitsy as she hurried out of the visiting room door. She stopped in the lady’s room. She came out after a few minutes looking pretty bad. She didn’t have to tell me that she had thrown up. I knew it had to be a horrific story, if an experienced cop lost her breakfast at the telling of it Bitsy let me drive home. She really was upset. After the first hour she looked at me and said, “That asshole gives the ‘n’ word a bad rap.”

“Yeah,” was all I could say. We didn’t say ten words the whole way home.

She dropped me in front of the lock shop. Then she left immediately. I had a feeling that she was headed to a gym in Raleigh. It would not one of those clean and bright ones, but one with a chain link cage in the middle. God help the man willing to get in the cage with her. At least that was Lucy’s opinion, when I called her later that night

I slept fine after a while with tiger. I also called Tonya and told her that she or her daughter could stop by for the daughter’s money. It was the deal Tonya and I made from the start. I would hand the money to either of them. I didn’t want her daughter to think it was anything more than baby sitting money. We had agreed on ten dollars a day, so I owed them twenty bucks. Tonya agreed to pick up the money for her daughter.

I fell into bed at midnight since Lucy hadn’t returned my call. I slept until six thirty. It was beginning to lighten outside when I awoke. Lucy called me while Tiger was having his morning walk about.

“Bitsy is okay. She did go to the gym, but she didn’t get hurt, and neither did any of the other fighters. She said she had some issues to work out on somebody’s head. I expect it worked pretty well. When she called me at one in the morning, she sounded pretty cheerful.” Lucy said.

“Good, I’m getting ready to ride,” I said.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.