Sarge - Cover

Sarge

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Chapter 3

We spent Saturday packing the three vehicles headed to New York City, then driving them there. We started at 9AM sharp with the loading. The troops loaded the Ford commercial panel van, while I checked the items off the list I had made the night before. The van which we used didn’t have any seats, it was just for small businesses. It also rattled. We didn’t even come close to filling it.

Before we loaded our personal items into the van, we packed the boxes securely. There was one thing that went in with being packed. That was a brand new 150 cc motor scooter. I had no idea what brand it was, but the LT assured me that it was reliable. It got strapped down before we left.

We started the slant eyed scooter, and ran it around the block. We did all that before we drained the gas from the tank, and then loaded it. I didn’t figure we needed a gasoline bomb in the truck. We had packed five AR15 semi automatic rifles with shortened barrels earlier. The Lt liked those because they looked intimidating according to him. The side arms were all 9mm, not my favorite but a decent pistol.

I also carried an unauthorized spring loaded very sharp knife. It was for close combat. There was also two dozen single use tasers. Those were carried in a belt holster. The Glocks were carried in butt holsters worn inside our slacks, and concealed by a long lightweight blue jacket. I had to admit that we were a pretty intimidating bunch. Most dangerous of all each and every one of us was an adrenaline junkie. You didn’t want to give us too much crap. Not even I knew how they would react in every conceivable situation.

I had insisted that the van be fitted with five, one gallon jugs of water, and a case of beanie weenies in cans. Emergency rations, I told the LT. A month was a long time anything could happen.

We finally got on the road at around 1PM. Wheels drove the Cab, I drove the Buick sedan, and Nita drove the Van. I would have felt better with Lucy2 driving, but I gave in to the idea that all troops were equal at that point. A five hour drive got us to the fenced parking garage slightly before 6pm. Wheels had his copilot reading the gps genie’s directions. We still got lost, but only once. Even then we were back on track within a minute.

The parking lot was adjacent to an apartment building. One of the apartments was rented by FP corporation. The Lt knew how to burn through money for sure. The small apartment had two tiny bedrooms fitted with two camp cots each. The living room was fitted with two sofas only large enough for small people.

It made sense logistically for the women to sleep in the living room area, and the four men to sleep on the four camp cots. None of it looked comfortable, but I had slept on worse. I knew Lucy2 had as well. The cops and wheels probably not.

There was time for us all to take a quick showers before going out to dinner. I chose not to do so. So did the other men. That left Lucy2 and Nita showering. I tried not to look when Lucy2 came out wrapped in one of those Turkish bathhouse towels. She had a slightly thick body but it was also well proportioned. While she dressed in cut off jeans, and a red tee shirt, I looked away. I just sat in the kitchen drinking coffee. She also wore one red sneaker on her right foot, on her left leg she wore the metal prosthesis. If she had been wearing ordinary jeans, she would have worn the other sneaker on the prosthesis. “Sarge, you can look now,” she said with a laugh. “The other three guys had been staring out of the bedroom doors the whole time.”

“Well, if they look at me, I’ll scratch their eyes out,” Nita said.

Of course that only make the guys more determined to watch her dress. She fooled them and dressed in the bathroom. The men, to a ma, wore their travel clothes out to dinner. It was a neighborhood restaurant, so no one paid any attention at all. Since it served beer picked up at an opening in the wall, which led to the tavern next door, it was a one stop night out for me. Marty and Rex left to visit a hotel Rex had heard about.

Wheels and I hosted the two females of our squad. First in the restaurant and then in the tavern. The tavern wasn’t cheers, but it did have what was primarily a friendly crowd. I was absolutely sure none of them had ever heard of the Rotten Tomato Band. We drank beer for a couple of hours. The cocktail waitress brought beers to the table saying some customer or another had bought them for us. I figured it was because I looked old enough to be the two girls father which gave them all a shot. It could also have been Lucy2’s stainless steel leg replacement.

At eleven we went back to the apartment. Wheels and I rolled out the light weight ‘sleep over’ bags from Walmart then turned in. It was well after midnight when Marty and Rex staggered in. Since everyone was present an accounted for I felt better. Sleep still eluded me for another hour.

I was up at 5:07. I quickly and as quietly as possible headed out the door. No bike, so it was running for me. Since an Air Force doctor had warned me that running was bad for the knees, I tried to avoid running. Still there I was at the bottom of the stairs ready to run for a few blocks at least.

“Hey, mind some company. There is safety in numbers,” Lucy said.

“Not sure I can keep up, but I’ll try,” I said.

We ran for about five minutes before I was winded. “God I miss my bike,” I said.

“You up for a jog around the park?” she asked pointing to the sign, which advised me I was about to embark on a two mile jogging path.

“Hell why not, you can always help me if I pass out,” I said. Then I stood up and ran off slowly.

I made the two miles, but it was touch and go on the last one. Fortunately I could literally see the end of the line. We headed back to the apartment. The neighborhood was rough, but that was okay. We weren’t looking for trouble, so I figured we would be fine.

We made it back in time for an early brunch, or maybe it was a late breakfast. By the time we all got a shower and dressed for the show it was after lunch, so we missed the early bird specials for sure. After lunch wheels and I drove by the Webster Opera Hall. There we dropped Rex, Nita, and Marty. They had things to do.

Wheels, Lucy2, and I drove the route from the last pickup to the Webster using three different routes. My phone rang at 2PM while we checked out the alternate routes.

“Yes,” I said into it. I didn’t even look at the caller ID. I seldom looked at those things.

“Sarge, we got a truck pulled up with a sign for a sound company. It looks like a hold up,” Rex said with a laugh. “Except they are bringing shit in through the stage door. Thought you might be interested.”

“Sure, keep an eye on them. Just be sure they act like sound men. I’ve got to go. The traffic is picking up,” I said.

We practiced the drive until I was sick of New York. I just wanted to go with it and be gone. We stopped for cokes and hot dogs at a side walk cart. A hot dog all the way and a large coke was over ten bucks. I really didn’t want to spend another night in New York, but I decided to stay with the plan.

By 6PM we had the rotten tomato band at the theater. The only drama was we almost got separated at a red light. I ran it with Lucy2 right beside me. It was like she read my mind.

The crowd was loud and disrespectful, but the crew handled it well. The body guard cousin stayed out of the way, so he was fine. The show was over by 11PM. The band left in a limousine at the end. Rex agreed to ride with them. Wheels went along as back up.

The two girls, Marty and I packed up the trunk of the Buick. It was the same one which I had driven to the theater. I shoved the golf bag, with the Remington sniper rifle, into the trunk. Along with all of our handguns locked in a stainless steel piece of luggage. The four of us were armed with tasers, when we got into the car for the trip to the apartment.

“Sarge, we got trouble. Somebody followed us from the theater. They are drugged up and wanting to cause trouble.”

“We are in the Buick give me a location. Meanwhile call the police. It was a ten minute drive even in the almost empty streets. There was a squad car, the limo, our taxi, and an old green Toyota parked haphazardly at the curb. Farther down the street was a van with the rear door open an a man filming the events. When we pulled up the cops shifted their attention to us. I tried to explain that we were just there to keep things quiet. I explained who we were.

“We don’t need no cop wanna bes,” the officer said.

Trust me, we don’t wanna be cops,” I said. “We just want to get our people, and get out of here.”

“It does look like the agitators were in the Toyota. They ran the limo and your guys off the road. Do you want to file a complaint?” the cop asked.

“If there were no injuries, I don’t think so. You will have to ask the Band though,” I said.

“Okay, who the fuck is filming this?” the cop demanded.

“To be honest I don’t know. These guys are big on U tube, it might be for them.” I said. We had it all sorted out a few minutes later. I was glad I made sure that Rex and Wheels had left their Glocks with me.

“I don’t want to talk about this tonight. We will do a full debrief in the morning,” I said to everyone who came in. “But it does go to show, you just never know what is going to happen.”

Since everyone was in safe, I closed the bedroom door and went to sleep. I didn’t set the alarm. I went right to sleep. I guess there was a sense of relief, because I slept unusually hard. Even so when I awoke at 8AM everyone was still asleep. I dressed in my jogging clothes and off I went for a Monday morning run. How depressing, I thought.

I ran around he city and everything was right with the world, except for the hour. I had to stop at every intersection and wait for the traffic. Even that was fine with me. I didn’t really want to jog, but I needed to keep to my routine.

When I got back the people were beginning to stir. I rushed quickly into the shower. I did a quick wash and rinse. I included my gray hair. I went out of the bathroom in my tee shirt and cutoff jeans. I had a cup of coffee before I went down to the coffee shop. I was still in time to have breakfast before they stopped serving at 10AM.

When I got back to the apartment, I found Dom aka Wheels having coffee. “So Dom, what could we have done to avoid that shit last night? At least the cops part anyway.” I asked.

“If we had all stayed with the band, we probably could have discouraged the fans,” he said.

“I think you have a point. Next time we stay with them till they are inside their motel rooms. After that the security is on the production company. Like it was last night.” I said. “The risk falls to almost zero, if no one knows in which hotel or motel they are staying. That cousin can stand in the hall all night.”

“You don’t care if they die just so long as it’s not on us,” Dom suggested.

Lucy2 had been listening. “Got that right wheels,” she mumbled.

“Okay Nita,” I called in a loud voice. We are headed to Philly today, so call around and find me a police supply outfitter. I want six collapsible batons,” I demanded.

“Now you’re talking,” she said.

I knew I should scold her, but I didn’t feel like it. She had a right to her opinion. “Good, you get to teach us how to use them. You should know a park down there where we can practice.” I suggested.

“Sure, but it’s in Camden,” she said.

“I’ll risk it,” I said.

I made the call to the LT to inform him of the pending purchase. “Lt I think we need to swap a couple these AR15 for Shotguns. The problem I’m having is we are guarding against terrorist. These are just harmless kids with a few assholes mixed in. We need non lethal weapons, but still intimidating weapons. I was thinking beanbags.”

“Add two trench length Mossberg shotguns and twenty rounds of beanbag shells,” he suggested.

“Good, I’m also going to add a bicycle to the list,” I suggested.

“Sure, but that is on you,” he said with a laugh. I hung up on him. I considered it an expense item of the trip but he knew I rode bikes for exercise.

On the trip down to Philly, I rode in the van with Rex at the Wheel. I want you to pull into the next Walmart parking lot whenever you see a sign. I’m going to make a personal purchase,” I said. The van was small enough to handle like a car. I took a turn behind the wheel. I generally didn’t like automobiles, but the van drove much better than a Hummer. The side trip we chose was to Trenton New Jersey. In the Walmart there I bought the longest frame, 20” bike they had in stock. It happened to be a Boy’s Mongoose bike. We loaded the bike into the rear of the van, then we had lunch from the fast food restaurant in a nearby strip mall, then return to I95.

Several miles later we followed the signs for Philadelphia. Finding the third rate motel near the highway was easy. The Lt had booked us three rooms. The two girls were an obvious choice to room together. The other guys played rock paper scissor for my roommate. The loser had to room with me.

I ended up with wheels, which suited me fine. Actually anyone would have been fine with me. Once we settled in, we decided on the next day’s chores. At 10AM we would drive to the park to work with the new batons. After which Lucy2 and Rex would take the two shotguns, provided by the same police supplier, to the range to test fire them.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.