Sarge
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Born 1972 Ray Selfridge
enlisted 1990
Rudy’s Auto and Truck repair in Siler City.
312 Church Street Siler City.
Junior Martin former Lieutenant of Ray’s
Tonya Scooter’s waitress
Lucy driver (uber type) in Siler City

I was in the middle of packing my belonging from the, slightly larger than a motel room, efficiency apartment. It was the apartment which I had rented for the last three years. I paid more than it was worth, but it was within biking distance of the McGuire AFB flight line. Which made it convenient for me, since that was where I had worked for the last five years of my twenty eight year career.

I would not be going back to my work station again. I had cleaned it out and my ID had been revoked the day before. I spent my time that morning on the computer as I had the day and night before. I was trying to make sense of what had happened to me, even as I researched my next move.

I had started my career during the first Gulf war in 1990 and had it ended for me during the Afghanistan war in 2018.During operation Desert shield I was a new recruit in the Air Police at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. Later that year I was assigned to Keesler Air Force Base in Mississippi. At Keesler I did my share of gate guard duty, and walked the flight line as a security guard. I also had a smidgen of motor patrol experience, while I patrolled the housing areas in a humvee.

Since my time at Keesler ended, I had been in almost constant combat areas. I did five deployments during the next ten years. During that time I rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant. As a lowly staff sergeant I became a supervisor of other Air Policemen. I found out real quickly how much I hated that. Still it was a job that needed doing.

I kept volunteering for deployments in any position I was qualified to fill. Which is how I spend the last ten years as VIP security coordinator. Which meant glorified body guard. I had almost nothing to do with planning, or arranging any security plans. I just did the hands-on supervision of the airmen providing the security. Since the job was authorized a Master Sergeant I got a quick promotion. I had done my time, but during that administration the Military was taking some cut backs. Somehow the CO pushed my promotion for technical sergeant to Master sergeant even in those times.

After eight years in that position a rumor started to be floated. The rumor stated that on my last field assignment I tortured then killed a prisoner. Frankly the rumor was true. Hell he wasn’t even the first one, he was just the first one with a shave-tail lieutenant supervising. Lieutenant Cassidy had been told to look the other wayjust as all light in the ass second Lieutenant were. I knew all along it was just a matter of time before someone ratted me out. I expected it to be a staff sergeant who had principles.

It turned out to be a Lieutenant disappointed by a Jewish promotion cycle. He got passed over. Why he chose to take it out on me was a bit of a shock, but like I said inevitable.

At first the major in charge of the unit said, “Forget it. His word won’t carry as much weight as yours. Just keep telling the truth you interrogated the prisoner who tried to escape afterward. You had to shoot him.” The fact the prisoner was shot in the face while supposedly running from me didn’t seem to bother anyone at the time.

The rumor ran around a while then sort of went dormant. All of a sudden the congress went liberal and began demanding that I be investigated for war crimes. Yes it was a crock, but I had no choice other than to go along. The men who had been worried about every vehicle which came though the gate testified that they weren’t present during the interrogation, or the escape attempt. The Lieutenant’s information was all hearsay based on information from airmen who were no longer serving.

The JAG officers worked out a plea deal. I would plead guilty to a Misdemeanor assault charge and retired. In exchange they would drop all other charges, and also indemnify me against prosecution for all other offenses committed against the enemy during my service.

I took the deal. It meant a reduced pension since I was forced to retire early, but it also meant there would be no chance of ending up in Leavenworth. The misdemeanor conviction meant a reduction in pay, but it didn’t effect my current pension.

I sure as hell didn’t plan to stay in New Jersey. Hell, nobody wanted to live in Jersey. Okay maybe the towns across the Hudson were a good location for New Yorkers to get away from the street gangs. I’ll give you the area around Philly wouldn’t have been too bad, if they had nuked Camden NJ.

Since I owned two bicycles and zero cars, I was forced to hire a rental truck. I would have had to do that anyway. I owned a bed, two small chests, a picnic table, and a sofa, chairs, and TV for the living room. I used the picnic table inside the apartment to eat my meals. Those items and a few black plastic bags of civilian clothes and one set of dress blues went into the truck. Everything else went into the trash. When I left for home, there were just a few items I carried up front in the truck’s cab.

Home hadn’t really been home since my mom and dad passed. My only brother John had moved to California by that time. What he did in the land of dreams by day, and nightmares by night, I had no idea. He had a good moral compass, so I expected that he and his wife along with their two kids walked the straight and narrow.

It was my plan to try living in the city of my birth for a while at least. Since my pension checks went directly to Bank of America, I didn’t expect any problems relocating. I arrived in my hometown of record, the night of the same day I left New Jersey. The first thing I had to do was find a motel. I chose one along the junction of three interstate highways. Driving in the traffic was almost as bad as guarding a gasoline tanker driving out to a chopper pad in a combat area. Even in those few miles my ass was clenched the whole time.

My first night in North Carolina I checked the local maps and decided that Greensboro North Carolina was way too crowded for me. The local news also had a fair amount of violence and traffic news. I was looking for a quiet place where I could continue to ride my bikes. It was the only exercise I had needed for years. I no longer had to pass physical fitness tests, but I still wanted to be able to do so.

In my research I found a town about forty miles, more or less, south east of Greensboro. I made my decision to move there since my dad had taken me there as a kid. I knew that after I got there, I would figure out a way to make it work. So on day two I drove the two hours in my U-Haul truck, to Siler City North Carolina.

When I got there I began looking for a place to live. I had it in the back of my mind to buy something portable. Yes I had been watching too many DIY shows on TV during my last tour. Since the efficiency apartment was just a little bigger than a tiny house, I figured I could live in one for a while.

I really wouldn’t mind a motor home to be honest. Something I could pick up and roll away. Since I wouldn’t be moving it too often, I didn’t need all the luxuries, just your basic engine that would pass all the safety and pollution tests would suffice. That is when I thought of a running school bus conversion. I did not have the wood working, or mechanical skills to do it myself, so I called around when I got to Siler City.

There was no one who specialized in those things, so I decided to have it done piece meal. It would not be cheap, but if I caught a break, it would be cheaper than buying a brick and mortar house.

First thing I needed was a place to live temporarily while I had my school house bus done. I had lived in enough undeveloped bases to know that I could rough it, if needed to do that. What I needed to do first was find a storage locker, then a running school bus next.

It was obvious that my next move would be lunch at the local downtown diner. There was usually one of those in most small towns. At least that was what I had been led to believe. Scooter’s cafe wasn’t in the heart of town, but it had a hometown feel about it.

I had a burger and fries, which is hard for anyone to fuck up. I also got some information from the waitress, Tonya.

“I’m looking for a used truck dealer.” I mentioned it to the slightly over weight teenager with the tattoo of a butterfly on her neck. “Do you have one to recommend.”

“Yeah my cousin Rudy runs a repair shop. He can usually find you anything you want and it’s cheap,” she said.

“That works for me.” I left her a big tip.

Then I drove to the storage warehouse she has mentioned earlier. I rented a small one. I unloaded the truck there. I considered sleeping in the warehouse that night, but instead I drove the truck to the motel recommended by the warehouse manager.

I spent the night at a hometown motel, the Siler City Motor Lodge or some such thing. Since I would be leaving first thing in he morning, it was a satisfactory place to stay.

The next morning I had breakfast at Scooter’s again, then dropped the U haul at a dealer close by. Frankly I was surprised to find one close. After I delivered the truck I removed my Mountain Bike from the rear, then rode it back into town. I called Rudy and got directions to his shop. During the ride to his shop I worried about my bike. The roads in Chatham county were like an old time washboard.

Rudy was an older man. Well not older than me but older than the two kids who also worked in the shop. “Rudy, your Cousin Tonya suggested I come see you about a school bus,” I suggested.

“What kind you got?” he asked.

“No Rudy, I’m looking to buy one,” I corrected him.

“Gas or diesel?” he asked.

“Gasoline I think: Something easy to get repaired on the road. I’m thinking to convert it to a travel bus.” I figured I might as well tell Him the truth.

“Diesel is gonna be easier to find and cheaper. I can find a twenty to thirty year old bus and get it in good shape for you for about eight to ten grand,” he stated waiting for me to say something.

“That is a bit heavy for a retired person,” I said.

“I can find you one that is all there, but isn’t running. It will probably need some heavy duty repairs though. Course you ain’t gonna be able to put it down in town.”

“I’m gonna need to do some serious thinking. I’ll give you a call tomorrow, if I make a decision,” I explained.

I put my backpack on and climbed back onto the bike. The backpack contained my Remington 1911.45 caliber pistol. It was a true antique, but it was more reliable than most of the modern pistols in production at the time, at least in my opinion. Of course it was of no use to me in the backpack. I just felt more comfortable with it in the backpack than I would have with it in the storage locker.

I rode back into town and found myself ready for an early dinner. I stopped at Compadres Mexican Restaurant, because I just happened to pass it. I took he next entrance into the strip mall. I like Mexican food, but I usually stuck with the taco salad. I did the best I could to avoid heavy foods from any country.

As I walked through the door I saw a stack of real estate fliers piled in a wire stand like the old newspaper racks. I picked up a one page flier the size of a single page of the Sunday comics. It had a half page filled with different real estate agents name and small adds. In addition the other half page had about ten adds from Siler City. The rear of the page was filled with advertising for home repair companies and lawn services.

The ten ads were mostly for homes, too large and expensive for me to even bother thinking about. There was one realty company’s advertisement which interested me. I wanted to find out more about a man who advertised that he specialized in unusual houses. I was interested in finding out more.

While I waited for my Taco Salad, I called his office. I got a recording, so I left my number. I left it with a ‘New to the area’ message. When the salad came I began eating and forgot about Jason Mason the Realtor. I was sure Jason Mason was some kind of sleazy Realtor, so I dismissed him.

After dinner I rode my bike back to the motel. I decided it would be my last night there.I decided to look for a place to live the next day, even it was a rental. I was looking at my computer when the cell phone rang.

“Mr Self-ridge I’m Jason Mason. How are you?” he asked insincerely.

“I would be better if you had a house for sale, that I could afford,” I replied.

“I’m sure I have something,” he suggested. “Give me your email and I’ll send you my current listings. Give me a price to start with.”

“Fifty thousand,” I said.

“Lord there is nothing at that price except fixer uppers,” he suggested. “And a house in the barrio.”

“Send me a list of them all, and I’ll ride by tomorrow. If there is nothing available, I might move on to some other town.” After all I wasn’t tied to Siler City.

He agreed, so I broke the connection. The cable TV and the computer had shit on it that night. What did I expect, it was Wednesday night? I asked myself. I finally found an old TV show to watch. The problem with that was that the Internet connection was terrible. It was so slow that the show stopped every couple of minutes to fill the buffer. Then it would run a couple of more minutes before the cycle started over again.

As usual I fell asleep with the Computer on. Fortunately for the world, the computer shut down automatically, if a key wasn’t pushed, or something like that.

The little computer was on the floor beside me when I awoke. I took my last shower in the motel, then dressed in the last of my clean underwear. I had one last clean tee shirt as well. The cargo shorts were from the day I arrived in town so they had been clean two days ago, after I moved my possessions into the storage locker.

I would be going back to get more clothes, whether I found anything that day or not. Still I pressured myself to find a new home. I needed to belong somewhere. I always known before what I was going to do the next day, and where I would be. Being adrift was more than a little disconcerting.

The first property I looked up on the map was ten miles out of town. Riding ten miles to get a cup of coffee wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. Maybe after five or ten dud houses I would consider it.

The next house was in the middle of a neighborhood with a car up on blocks in every other driveway. The house was also a large house built in the early 20th century. The third building I tried was an almost square concrete block one story structure with a flat roof. It was two blocks from the center of town. It was only half a dozen blocks from the Brownie Lou restaurant. It was a very small building but even that was very close to the size of my studio apartment in New Jersey.

I noticed that there had been a sign on a metal pole in the paved parking lot. I had no idea what the sign had read. I rode my bike around in a three block radius. All of the buildings seemed to be from the 1950s. I looked through the large plate glass window by the door. All I could see through the dirty glass was a concrete floor and cinder block walls.

I looked at the figures for the building. I did some quick calculations, then decided that the building if it were perfect would be worth somewhere between forty and fifty K. I was sure the asking price would be more. Since I likely to be in a a negotiation, I needed a place to spend the night.

I called Jason Mason, “Can you come down with a key to the concrete block building at 312 Church Street? I’d like to see inside it,” I informed him.

I sat on the raised walkway, which ran completely around the building, while I waited to see the inside. A late model Buick pulled into the ten car parking lot.

“Are you Ray Self-ridge?” he asked.

“Yes that is me. So Jason Mason tell me about this place,” I demanded.

He read me the facts off the listing. It was 24’ by 24’, so it was perfectly square, it didn’t look it. The roof was replaced in 2010 and it was last painted in 2014.The taxes are current so there are no liens. It has been on the market since 2015,” he said.

“Okay let me see inside,” I suggested.

“Don’t you want to know the asking price?” Jayson asked.

“Sure put it on me,” I said.

“The owner is asking $60,000 dollars,” he said.

“I still want to see it,” I demanded.

The reason it didn’t look Square was there was a bathroom and storage room along the rear wall. It made the room look more like a rectangle.

“Write up an offer to purchase. Pending proof that there are no plumbing leaks and that the electrical is up to present code. Also that there is an adequate heating and air conditioner unit in place. Everything is subject to a walk through inspection by a licensed home inspector.” I said.

“You look like you know something about houses,” Jason said.

“Not a thing,” I said. “If all that is taken care of and if the city will allow me to live in the building, I will pay the owner $40,000 cash. That is my best offer take it or leave it,”

“Well that’s a substantially lower offer,” Jason said.

“I need a decision within twenty four hours. If he decides not to do it, I have to look for an apartment,” I said. Jason understood that I just told him to work for the deal, because it was a quick and dirty deal, or no deal at all.

“By the way, for what was this building used?” I asked.

Jason looked at the listed before he answered, “A locksmith’s shop,”

“Okay, shouldn’t be any ghosts then,” I said. Jason just stared at me open mouthed. I wrote him a check for a thousand dollars. That is good faith money so do what you need to but I want a receipt,”

“We need to write the offer up to. Meet me at Scooter’s Cafe and we will do it all now,” he said.

That is exactly what happened. I rode my bike back to the motel and checked in again. Since the locker was in a different direction, I waited till I had a room before I went there for clean clothes. Since I did my own laundry in New Jersey, I knew when it was time to hit a Laundromat. I knew that I was due for it the next day so I tied the clothes bag to my back then rode to the motel very carefully. I looked a lot like a bear I’m sure all bent over as I rode.

The next morning things started popping. The first thing was that Jason Mason called me. I was in the middle of breakfast when my cell phone rang.

“The buyer agreed to the Forty K, but he wouldn’t agree to your additional provisions, not at that sales price,” Jason said.

“I will not buy the building at any price without a code check,” I said,

“He understands that. It’s the working heating and air where he balked. That building has been empty for over five years. The heating and air worked when the last occupant moved out,” Jason informed me.

“If he is willing to enter that statement as part of the sales contract, I will go with it. When does he want to close?” I asked.

“I can arrange that today if you give me some information,” Jason said.

“Can you get the mortgage with Bank of America?” I asked. “I don’t want some half ass mortgage company as a lender.

“I’ll get a mortgage approval, then call you,” Jason said after I gave him the information.

The next thing I did was call up the Walmart website and order their sixty buck bicycle cargo trailer. After that was taken care of I went to a laundromat to do my wash all in one machine. I timed my laundry so that I could do it that way. With the cargo trailer I could probably handle a few more clothes. When I got back to the room I found an email from Walmart giving me a pickup date a few days away.

I didn’t worry about the building at all since I had more than enough savings to cover the price of the building. I wanted the mortgage so as not to put too big a dent in the Bank of America accounts. Since they were all tied together one account balance affected the others.

I was sitting in the motel preparing myself for a ride around my new home town when the cell phone rang. “Hello,” I said into it. I had not added any of the numbers to my cells phones memory at that time.

“Ray this is Jason, you got a bank approval already. Man you must have the best credit in the world,” he informed me.

“I don’t know about that, but Bank of America handles my pension money, so I guess they figure to withdraw the payment before they give me any of it.”

“They suggested some fancy money laundering. They want you to agree to purchase the building for cash, then use it as collateral for a ten year loan. The payment without any escrow or insurance would be less than four fifty a month. I think that is so that they can make a loan rather than a mortgage,” he said.

“Yeah they can get a higher rate that way. Tell you what let’s just make it a cash payoff. Have your lawyer figure what he needs from me and I’ll have the bank transfer the funds at the closing. He can see that the money is in his account before he signs the deed over to me,” I suggested.

“The next Friday I was ready to move into the building. I used the rental truck to move some of the items in the storage locker. All week I had been making plans about the items I was planning to move to the Lock and key building.

I moved the two dressers in the one trip along with three boxes of clothes and household items. I also loaded my twin bed, sofa, two comfortable chairs, also my small TV and bookcase entertainment unit. There were several boxes in the truck for which I couldn’t remember the contents. I did make sure I moved everything from the storage building, even though I needed very few of the items that first weekend.

It was the beginning of June, so the weather was to damn hot in North Carolina. I had a small fan in the apartment in New Jersey which for sure was not going to cool the little building. Fortunately I had power and water thanks to my good planning skills. I had lots of practice when lives depended on it. The move was was a walk in the park compared to that.

Saturday after a breakfast at Scooter’s, I rode to Walmart on my bike pulling my cargo trailer. It was only a two mile ride, but the rough road and traffic made it less than enjoyable. I got a shelf kit for the rear inside wall. Installing it was doable because I had brought my took kit from NJ. It contained enough tools to make that installation as well at the ceiling fan. Those two items filled the trailer. It was a good thing that I enjoyed the bike for the exercise, because it was not at all efficient.

It took a total of three trips and some hard pedaling to move the large ceiling fan, the small microwave, and a few odds and ends to the house.It was a challenge that I enjoyed. Before I went to bed Saturday night I had the two dressers against the rear wall of the storeroom. That part of the rear wall was large enough for the bed’s head board to be between the corner and the door.

I didn’t install the shelves since I hadn’t decided on what that rear wall would look like after my minor renovations. The two side walls would remain a straight run of twenty odd feet. It worked out well, since they were solid with no windows. That was for sure going to change. The front of the one room building was mostly a plate glass window. I had no plans for that wall that first weekend.

Since I spent all Saturday running errands while riding the mountain bike, I spend Sunday nursing a sore back. I had more furniture to place, but I wasn’t up to it. At least I had the ceiling fan up. It was done the last thing Saturday night thank god.

It took a lot of Tylenol and Aleve before I killed the pain in my back. I even slept pretty well. As a matter of fact I was sleeping when the cell phone rang, well it played a few bars of the recording, ‘We gotta get out of this place’

“Hello,” I said to answer it.

“Ray, is that really you?” the man’s voice asked.

“Yes it is, and who the hell are you,” I asked.

“I’m Junior Martin. Surely you remember me. You pulled my ass out of the line of fire enough times in Baghdad, when we were both kids.”

“Lieutenant Martin I thought you were dead,” I said.

“I should be. I was the worlds worst Soldier,” he said.

“Technically you were the worlds worst Airman, Lieutenant,” I said.

“Right, where the hell are you?” he asked.

“I’m in a little town in North Carolina,” I said.

“Well get your ass to DC. My ass needs saving again,” he said seriously.

“I’m out of that business,” I answered. “Besides I just got out of the shit. I need some time to come down.”

“How about I give you a couple of days to kiss the chick good-bye, then you pack up and come to DC?” he asked.

“Sorry, I live here now. I just bought a house,” I explained.

“Take a break from being a home owner. I got a thirty day gig that pays eight grand for the right man,” he said.

“What the hell are you into?” I asked.

“I own and operate a company called ‘Force Protection’.This gig is setting up and running the security for a band called ‘The rotten tomato’. It’s for the tour that is coming up.”

“You are kidding me?” I asked.

“Not at all. I need you here by Wednesday to check the plan over for weaknesses. Then to be in New York with the buses on Monday of the next Week. Don’t tell me the eight grand won’t go a long way toward fixing up your new house.” The Lieutenant asked.

“This is nuts, but okay,” I said. “Give me an address and phone number.”

“I’ll make you a reservation and leave a ticket at the counter for you,” he said.

On Monday morning I thought I must have been dreaming the night before. Then I checked my email and found that I had two emails from Junior Martin. He gave me the flight number and departure time for an American Airlines flight from PTI airport to Dulles airport in DC. It meant I had to find a lift to Piedmont Triad International airport.

As usual I check with my waitress Tonya at Scooter’s Cafe. “Well I got this Friend who will drive you there,” she suggested.

“Is she reliable?” I asked. “It’s important that I get there.”

“If she says she will take you she will take you, and be on time. Here call her and get all the information.” Tonya said.

I did and was satisfied. I did arrange for her friend Lucy to pick me up two hours earlier than I expected to check in. Just in case I had to arrange another lift. We agreed on fifty dollars cash for the ride. I still was nervous about it, but I didn’t have a lot of options. If I had a car the long term parking would have been as much or more.

I slept poorly Monday night. I expected trouble but It turned out there was no trouble at all. Lucy was on time so I arrived at the airport two hours before I needed to check in.

I stopped at the snack bar in the airport. I found that I had been wrong. I was possible to fuck up a hamburger. Their hamburger tasted like cardboard.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.