Richard the Stockman - Cover

Richard the Stockman

Copyright© 2018 by Peter H. Salus

Prologue

Richard and Catherine Hollister were born in 1938 and 1941 (respectively), in Bunderrim, Queensland and lived in Charleville till 1946, when Andy, their father, was demobbed from the Navy. Together with their mother, Sybil, they then relocated to Southport, where Andy taught maths and coached rowing at TSS and Sybil took care of their home and the children – and later taught health, nursing and first aid at St. Hilda’s. In those years, Southport was a growing place. By the 1950s, Southport was the central entertainment location of the Gold Coast. It was also the administrative centre, with a central business district.

Richard attended TSS as a day student until he was 12 and then became a resident. He wasn’t interested at all in the aquatic sports, but became a practiced equestrian. Nonetheless, both of his parents were taken aback in 1954 when Richard said he wasn’t interested in attending the University, but wanted to go to the Agricultural College in Gatton, with an aim at becoming a grazier [rancher].

So, one day in 1955, the family climbed into their pale blue General Motors-Holden and drove to Gatton. Andy accompanied Richard to speak with an admissions councillor and Sybil and Catherine wandered about the College.

Richard said that intended to set up a station where he would breed cattle and “a few sheep for the pot.” He found that he could enrol in February in a three or a four year degree. There were also certificates of briefer periods of study. The councillor suggested he “double up” on biology and chemistry during his last months at TSS and that he see whether “business maths” was available. “It’s not,” Andy said. “But I’ll get a book on budgeting and accounting. It can’t be that hard.”

During his last months at TSS, the boys were taken on an excursion to Brisbane. Among other things the visited the Queensland Art Gallery on Gregory Terrace. One of the exhibits was of photographs by Max Dupain. In the Gallery’s shop there were a half-dozen prints for sale. One was of a rather tortured bare tree in silhouette. It was five pounds – nearly all Richard had. He bought it, and the clerk put it in a hard cardboard tube.

He had a bun and tea instead of lunch. “Is that enough?” one of the masters asked. “Man does not live by bread alone,” Richard responded. “I bought a picture.”

“That’s not what is meant in Deuteronomy nor in Matthew nor in Luke.”

“Perhaps. Isn’t art as wonderful as the word.”

“You’ll get in trouble talking like that, lad.”

“Will they burn me at the stake like Hus or Joan of Arc? In Queensland in the mid-twentieth century?”

“Doubtful. But many folks would be unhappy?” Richard shrugged.

Early the last Friday in February 1956, Richard hugged his teary mother, kissed his sister on her cheek and drove off with his father in a Holden packed with books, clothing and a variety of things Andy and Sybil knew he couldn’t do without. By the time they were passing through Meadowbrook, Andy confessed that he’d be happy to convey some things back to Southport when he returned the next day.

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.