Claudette - Cover

Claudette

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 15: A Happy Ending (It is a Fairy Tale)

“The business sells snowmobiles and ski equipment. It’s seasonal though you would need some operational help for fall and spring. It’s a good business with a loyal following. If you worked at learning the business as well as the athletic side, it might be a good fit. My daughter is knowledgeable and can help in it, too.: That’s not the reason why I’m suggesting you consider it. I think you can do well in any business that meets and deals with the public.”

I smiled. I was interested. He continued. “I think that this business could be expanded with careful management and some judicious investment.”

I found my voice. “That sounds good. What needs to be done?”

He said, “It’s being sold as a real estate sale though it’s more than that. An agent has the listing and he’s showing it as a business as well. I’m sure he would be glad to show it to you but I suggest that we go by and have a look quietly first. It’s open all year though doesn’t do much until there is a solid snow.”

We went by and looked at it. It looked good to me. The store was a stand-alone with good parking on one of the better roads that headed toward the mountains. I could see that there was expansion room if that was a desire. I said, “I like it. I want to talk to Claudette first before even looking at it more. She and I need to talk more about our plans generally.”

He said, “You might talk about making us grandparents, too.”

I grimaced. “That underlies all our discussions. We decided this summer that we needed to think through our future and do some rough planning rather than having life just occur without planning.”

Claudette and I did talk. We were interested in the shop and would start to start a family shortly after this ball season begins. Claudette would finish this year and quit teaching to raise children and watch over our money as we planned for more future. We went through the holidays taking up a new hobby, shooting. Neither of us were new to guns but we joined a gun club and improved our marksmanship as we gained a new appreciation of weapons. We both obtained “concealed carry” permits and now went armed. As I watched the news of school shootings, I was becoming concerned since Claudette and no one else was allowed to be armed in the building. I was reading about the shooters going in and being able to shoot many kids and teachers with impunity. We joined a petition to allow teachers with permits to carry inside the schools. I wanted Claudette to quit. We hadn’t had a shooting in the area which only meant it hadn’t happened yet.

At Mister Gaines prodding, we went to a school board meeting to protest when the petition was turned down flatly. We were told that the signs were sufficient and that this was a good community. Finally, I said, “Ladies and Gentlemen, what you are saying is that you know there is a possibility of violence against teachers and students but that you will not do anything until after some people are dead even though there is a possible solution that won’t cost any money. On your hands will be the blood of innocents through your inaction.”

I was found out of order though I had been properly recognized for making a short speech. Mister Gaines wrote each member of the Board and the Superintendent that they had assumed maintenance of a nuisance and refused to do anything about it. There was no response but he heard that his letter wasn’t appreciated. It put their inaction legally on notice.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.