Claudette - Cover

Claudette

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 12: Return to Reality

Like all things, our honeymoon came to an end and we returned to Colorado Springs on Sunday evening. We had brought a suitcase of clothes to my apartment where we were staying now which Claudette unpacked to give her something to wear for school. Monday after school, we would go to her home and gather more clothes. During the day, I received a packet with my ticket to Atlanta and a letter welcoming me to the Braves organization. It outlined meetings for Wednesday with a tour Thursday and more meetings on Friday. I packed for the trip and went to school to pick up Claudette. I went inside to the desk and said, “I’m here to pick up my wife, Claudette.”

The receptionist grinned. “Missus Sloan is in her classroom. You can go down there. The bell rings in about two minutes. She hasn’t quit grinning yet either.”

I went down the hall to Claudette’s classroom. I could hear her say, “That’s it for today. I had a great break including getting married. The bell should ring in a moment.”

I opened the door and said, “Missus Sloan, there’s someone here to see you.”

“Eric!” She ran to my arms and we gave each other the most chaste kiss since before our wedding. Her class applauded happily. The bell then rang and the mad exodus began. A few stayed to look at me as we had our arms around each other standing together.

It was time to leave and we walked out holding hands. Once in the car, I said, “I got the ticket and a nice letter today. I leave in the morning and get back Friday or Saturday. I’ll miss you.” I smiled while we were at a stop light.

In the morning, I left for Atlanta. It was a long flight by myself. Fortunately, it was quiet. I slept. Upon arriving and claiming my bag, I went out to see sign being held by a man with my name on it and a Braves logo. I went to him and said, “I’m Eric Sloan.”

He looked at a picture and said, “That’s good. Let’s go!” He opened the trunk and put my bag in it after opening a back door for me. I sat down comfortably and was whisked to my hotel. At least as much as traffic in Atlanta permits “whisking” on a business day.

I went to the desk with my bag and found they had a reservation for me and were waiting to take me up. My bell hop was a pretty young woman who smiled and took my bag saying, “Sir, it is my job.” We got up to my room and I tipped her. She left me with another letter.

It included a copy of the first and fleshed out my schedule for the next two days. I would be busy. The new one also said that all expenses at the hotel were covered. Eating at the hotel would be good by me. I changed into my swim trunks, grabbed a towel and my key card, and left following instructions directing me to the pool.

Once there, I put the towel and card on a lounge along with my flip-flops and walked into the water. I loosened up and then swam a few laps. The water felt good and helped work out the kinks from the flight. The sun was starting down and it quickly became too cold to enjoy the area. I headed back to my room and dressed for dinner. I had brought a book and carried it with me into the restaurant. Once seated, I ordered my food and iced tea. I settled in with my book.

A man came to my table and seated himself. I looked at him. “Am I taking your usual seat? I will move.” I stood.

“I’m here to see you, Eric.”

“You’ve seen me. Now, you may leave or I will.”

“I’m Charles Gogan with ESPN.”

“Great. Set up an interview with the Braves and we’ll talk.”

“I’m here now to talk to you.”

“I had wanted a quiet meal. Since I’m denied that, I will return hungry to my room.” I started walking away. He grabbed my left arm pulling me hard. Through gritted teeth, I said, “Remove you hand from me. Do it now.”

My waiter came to me. “Sir, is this man bothering you?”

“Yes. I’m attempting to leave for my room without eating because of his unwanted advances. I’m now being assaulted.”

The waiter held up four fingers pointing to Gogan. Immediately, more servers came and stood between us. He looked shocked and slowly released my arm. Moments later, two men in suits with badges walked up. One looked at Gogan. “Who are you harassing this evening, Gogan?”

Gogan said, “That’s Eric Sloan. I sat at his table to interview him.”

The couple at the next table over stood. The woman said, “That man,” pointing at Gogan, “sat down without introduction or permission. When this young man started to leave without causing any difficulty, He was assaulted.”

Gogan looked unhappy. He protested, “I was just trying to do my job. Eric Sloan is a sports figure.”

The man spoke up, “You started this impolitely. He requested you contact the Braves and set up an interview. When you took over his table, he attempted to leave.” He looked at the security guards. “I hope that the hotel doesn’t allow guests to be accosted. If this man isn’t removed, we will not stay in the hotel. It would be inexcusable.”

One of the security men said, “Gogan, you have been warned before. This escapade will get you barred from this hotel. Also, I will talk to ESPN about this. It is stopping now.”

The security guys led Gogan away. I went to the couple and thanked them after introducing myself. Charles Andrews and his wife, Marilyn, were nice folk in town for business.

Charles said, “Eric, why don’t you join us?”

“Thank you, Charles. I didn’t know anyone and am here to meet with the Braves. I was traded over the off-season. I found out a few days before I married. My wife and I returned from our honeymoon on Wednesday and now I’m here while she’s in Colorado Springs teaching.

Marilyn said, “We lived in Denver years ago. It was a nice place.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.