Claudette - Cover

Claudette

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 10: The Questions Continue

One of the female teachers was in her late forties or early fifties. She asked, “Claudette, who is this with you?”

“Delores, he is Eric Sloan, who plays third base for the Sky Sox. He finished the season with the Brewers. He spoke to my current affairs classes this morning. He is also my fiancé.”

She looked at me and asked, “Do you live with Claudette?”

“Of course not. We’re engaged, not married. How many male roommates have you had in the past and currently?”

She sputtered. I said, “Ma’am, that was an impolite and inappropriate question to have asked. I answered it. You, however, haven’t answered mine in response to yours.”

Her face was red though I couldn’t tell whether from embarrassment or anger. Claudette was trying, mostly successfully, to avoid laughing at her discomfiture.

Another woman with a smile asked, “I’ve seen you on TV. Do you enjoy your profession?”

“Yes, there are trade-offs like any other endeavor. Because of the travel, I miss being able to spend time with Claudette and with her parents. I also find it difficult to attend church. However, I do enjoy playing.”

One of the men said, “Could you help us later in the year with baseball?”

‘I would love to do that but probably will have started Spring training and the season. The team pays the bills so that has to come first.”

Another woman asked, “How did you find the questions from the students?”

“They were interesting. Some had stereotypes about baseball playing as a professional. There were questions about life with and later without baseball. Only one young lady asked an inappropriate question. I answered it and embarrassed her also. Unfortunately, news people ask personal questions that are none of their business, too. I have to be polite but decline the opportunity to expose myself with them.”

Claudette said, “Eric handled himself quite well. He didn’t let any questions fluster him. His first interview in this city was by my father who was trying grilled boyfriend. Dad found Eric could handle questions well also even then and under those circumstances.” She smiled.

I later found that one of the silent ones was her principal. I asked Claudette later if she heard any complaints. She told me that she had heard nothing but that Missus Ridgeway, the principal, was known for handling matters.

In the evenings, we continued to prepare for our wedding including meeting with the pastor. We had set the date. There was a short break occurring in late October. We would marry just before it and use the break for an abbreviated honeymoon.

One week before the wedding, I received a called from the Sky Sox manager, Burnside. I had been traded to the Atlanta Braves! He said that I should hear from them soon with instructions about what to do. I just thanked him nodding numbly. I was at the Gaines’ home about to eat. I sat quietly. Mister Gaines asked, “Eric, what was that about?”

“I’ve been traded to the Atlanta Braves organization. I was told I would hear more from them later.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“I don’t know. It’s a surprise though I somewhat expected a trade as a possibility. I’m just going to relax about it since there’s not anything I can do about it anyway. It does mean that I won’t be playing for the Sky Sox next year.”

Claudette walked in to announce supper. She looked at me and asked, “Eric, what happened.”

“I’ve been traded to the Atlanta Braves organization.”

“What does that mean to us?”

“I won’t be playing for the Sky Sox next year for sure. I’ll have to wait to hear from them to get any idea about their plans for me in their organization.”

“So, it’ll be a question until you hear from someone?”

“That’s correct.”

“Okay, let’s eat. We can pray that we’ll hear soon and it will be good news.”

We went to the table for supper. We prayed and then talked about it but knew nothing right now. We wouldn’t until we heard from someone in the Braves organization. I knew they were rebuilding looking for younger players with a future. The organization had a good overall reputation and I had watched them over the years on TV through college.

Things were quiet as my wedding day approached. My parents came into town. Claudette and I discussed where we would live after we married. I had the apartment on my own. She and Sheila were talking since Tommy and his roommates were about out of a lease. They would marry a week after us. They would take over the apartment and Claudette would move in with me. That covered the rest of the calendar year and some of the next.

I wondered about where to move for Spring training or to extend the lease here. I hadn’t heard from the Braves organization yet. After all, it was late fall so personnel levels were probably low. I was more interested in my wedding.

It was Friday morning. I would meet my parents for lunch at the Gaines’ home with Claudette. I was ready to go even though it was early. I received a call from Claudette.

“Eric, my love, are you ready to go?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Come get me and take me to breakfast.”

“Sure. I’ll be there in a few minutes.” I was there and went to her door. She invited me in with a kiss. Sheila was teaching. Claudette had arranged for a day off. She looked lovely. I pulled her to me and we kissed again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.