Claudette - Cover

Claudette

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 9: The Season Continues and Ends

Saturday was a repeat of Friday for me except for some ribbing from my teammates who were calling me a star. They also agreed that I have a beautiful fiancé.

I had tickets for the same group and they came in together for the game as well as some of the warm-up time. We were taking fielding practice. It ended and I walked over to their seats and got a hug from Claudette, my mother, and Missus Gaines. I headed into the dugout. Burnside was there. “Sloan, that looks like the same woman as last night.”

“That’s correct. I plan to hang onto her for a long time.”

“I don’t blame you. She’s gorgeous.”

That got me kidded some more. Burnside made no changes to our lineup or playing roster. We went through the pre-game and then took the field. The first two Cubs batters hit singles before our pitcher bore down and struck out the next three. We went up. I hit a hard grounder and made it to first. Our cleanup hitter struck out to end the inning.

Though both teams had opportunities to score, neither could get a man across until the seventh inning when one of the Cubs outfielders hit a home run. Our half inning went quietly. The Cubs went three up and three down to start the eighth. I would lead off. Burnside told me to “just get on base.” I went up. The first pitch was a ball outside followed by one inside that made me dodge. The next pitch found me ready and I hit it hard. It went out for a home run. Our cleanup hitter hit a solid double. Marco was next. He hit another double to score Joe.

We were able to take the Cubs three up and three down to win the game.

No one was interviewed tonight.

We all went to the Gaines home again. We would play a night game Sunday and my parents planned to return to their home Monday morning. Claudette talked to me on the drive to her apartment later. We would go to Sunday school and church together. I would drop her off at her apartment and head to the field.

That’s what we did. In the game, we were held scoreless by the Cubs. I got two hits and made the plays at third that I should. Claudette and I went to the Gaines for deserts before I took her home. In the morning, I left my apartment with a bag. We left for the first leg of our first road trip that started at Omaha.

I was rooming with our cleanup hitter, Joe Morgan. Joe was a nice guy who was kidded by many about his name. We were checked into our hotel room. Joe was in his second year with the Sky Sox. He said that he wasn’t sure if he would make the majors unless he was traded. The Brewers had a great first baseman and a good one on the bench. He planned to wait another year and, if he wasn’t traded, would probably retire from baseball. He had a job waiting that he had had each post-season.

He admitted that he wasn’t as good as the full-time first baseman but was as good or better than the bench player. He thought I had a better chance though admitted that the third baseman currently playing was good. However, he thought I was better. I told him that I was trying not to have any expectations about my baseball future. I wanted to play major league but admitted that it wasn’t as important as it had been before coming to the Sky Sox. Priorities in my life had changed. Claudette played a large part in my desires for the future. Joe said that he didn’t blame me.

We had six games on the road and went three and three. Breaking even on the road is considered acceptable. We would have a home stand of six games starting Tuesday through Sunday. We won four out of six. Claudette was at each game. I spent each evening with her after the games. We had a delightful time.

Our season was progressing and Claudette and I became more comfortable with each other. Our relationship was going well. We were starting to plan for our wedding. It looked like I wouldn’t be called up this year. I was enjoying playing while we were winning. Joe was traded to another triple A team which could offer him a legitimate shot at making the majors. I was glad for him.

When the rosters expanded, I was brought up and given playing time. My fielding continued to be good and my hitting suffered an initial drop and then picked back up. I realized that I might be up to let other teams look at me with a trade in my future. I spent my time as profitably as I could. After an initial drop, my hitting average recovered. I think I had proven I could hit major league pitching both for average and for power.

At the end of the season, the manager called me into his office. He said, “Eric, you will be invited to the major league Spring training camp if you’re still with us. We don’t need two great third basemen. You did well and I expect some trade offers for both of you from other teams. You should be in the majors and you will with someone. This is just a warning. At worst, you’ll be back at the Sky Sox after Spring training. Have a good off-season.”

“Thank you and thank you for the warning or information whichever it is.” I left his office.

The season came to an end and planning for a wedding became more intense. Claudette was teaching middle school and the students had quickly figured out that I was her fiancé. Even the teachers figured it out and asked many questions. She was living in her apartment with Sheila. I was back in my apartment though had to pay the rent now.

I was working out regularly and spending time with Claudette and her family. We flew down for a weekend at my parents’ place. While there, I heard that Christine had married and was apparently doing well. I was genuinely glad for her.

Claudette and I were happy together and I had become known at her school. I frequently picked her up after class. Today, I have been asked to speak at the school about baseball to the classes on current events that Claudette taught. We would have lunch together.

I drove over to her school and checked in at the office. That didn’t amount to much since I had been by before. Security was lacking to put it mildly. I went to the door of Claudette’s room and knocked. She came to the door and let me inside. She also gave me a quick kiss. “It’s good to see you this morning, Eric.”

“It’s good to see you, too.”

Taking my hand, she led me to the front of the class. She said, “Class, meet Eric Sloan. He’s not just my fiancé but is also a professional baseball player. This year, he played for our Sky Sox and then spent the end of summer playing for the Brewers. I have asked him to join us today to talk about the life of a professional baseball player.”

I went up front and said, “Good morning. It’s a pleasure to be here since I get to spend some time with Miss Gaines, also.” The kids giggled nervously over that.

“I’ve been playing baseball pretty much ever since I can remember. I played in little league, then in high school. For college, I had a full scholarship to play. After I graduated, I was drafted by the Brewers organization. I was sent to an instructional league where I was transitioned from a pitcher who played third base into a full-time third baseman. I was told that I was too good a hitter to continue pitching and that my pitching was only marginal for the major leagues. I also found that I was still good but was no longer a star. Everyone who plays professionally is very, very good.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.