Claudette - Cover

Claudette

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 8: The First Game

We went to Claudette’s parents home for a fine meal. Both her parents wanted to hear the details of the news conference. Claudette told them the complete story.

Mister Gaines said, “We should listen to the broadcast from that channel. Both of you may have a cause of action against that Jones guy as well as the station.”

We turned the TV on and to the proper channel. The news was just starting. It was a half hour followed by the national news with another half hour after that. Nothing was mentioned in the first half hour. The national news did not mention anything of course. At the end of the second half hour, it got interesting. The station manager came on seated at a big desk.

He said, “This station prides itself upon accurately and fairly reporting the news. I was presented with proof that at least one report filed yesterday about an incident at the stadium was false. It cast doubt upon a later report about the abilities of one player. Today, that reporter’s credentials were revoked by the Sky Sox. We have terminated that reporter’s employment with our station. We crave your trust and work hard to earn that trust. When a person employed by this station violates that trust, it is necessary that we remove that person from our team. Brent Jones is no longer employed by this station. We will strive to regain your trust and will request press credentials for a new person who we believe will report sports news accurately and fairly.”

Mister Gaines said, “I will perform some quiet checking to determine where Jones goes as well as the ownership of the new station that employs him. Reporters are paid pretty well in this market and I think he’s been here about ten years.”

Claudette said, “It will be a long time before I will watch anything on that station.” She changed channels.

We ate supper and enjoyed being with her parents. Tomorrow, my parents would arrive. I had tickets for the game waiting at their hotel. Claudette and her parents had tickets next to them along with Sheila and Tommy. Claudette and I sat together on the sofa with my arm around Claudette who was scrunched in closely. We finally headed back to her apartment and then I went on to mine.

In the morning, I reported at the usual time. I brought an exercise outfit and ran around the field before going inside to shower and eat breakfast. A large breakfast buffet was being served since we would only snack for supper and not eat too heavily for lunch. This was my habit from high school so I was used to that meal program. Only the married players had skipped breakfast. I sat with Marco who had also seen the newscast about Jones. We mentioned that we were satisfied with the result as long as it stuck.

Misters White and Burnside came into the lunch room with another man. After a moment, it quieted. Mister White said, “This is Jim Smalley with Channel Six. He will be their new sports reporter for Sky Sox baseball. Please welcome him today.” They left except for Smalley.

He moved over to sit next to me. He said, “Mister Sloan, I want to give you my station’s apology again. That incident will not be repeated.”

I said, “Is Jones gone?”

“He was clearing his desk yesterday evening. I don’t know but one of our smaller market affiliate stations may get him but I don’t think he will return here anytime in the foreseeable future. Jackson, the station manager, doesn’t like to have to make apologies on air, particularly for fake stories.”

I said, “That’s good. He made threats to me which he had carried out and to my fiancé which worried us.” Marco nodded.

“I will give fair reporting. That’s my pledge.”

“Okay. However, understand that your station is on probation with me. You’ll need to prove your words and your station manager’s statements to regain trust. My fiancé is furious and won’t even listen to your station. Her father, by the way, is a lawyer.”

“I’ll earn it.”

He left and we finished our meal. Marco and I went into the locker room and put on our uniforms and headed out onto the field.

We went through some warm-ups and I saw my parents entering the field. Behind them was Claudette with her parents. I excused myself and headed toward their seats. I went into the seats and my mother saw me and ran to be hugged. “Eric, it’s so good to see you.”

“It’s good to see you, too, Mom. Claudette came up and I pulled her into a hug. “Mom, meet Claudette Gaines. Claudette, this is my mother.”

Claudette gave me a quick kiss and said, “Missus Sloan, it’s good to meet you.”

Mom said, “Claudette, you have more than lived up to Eric’s billing. You are gorgeous! I’m glad to meet you. I’m Mary Sloan.”

I had to get back on the field. “Claudette, I have to get back out there. When the game’s over, stay here. I’ll join you after I shower.”

“Okay, Eric dear. Play well.” She gave me a light kiss. I headed back on the field.

As I jogged back, my batting coach, Jake, said, “I guess I would go AWOL for a few moments for a girl as pretty as she. Get to it, Eric.”

“Yes, sir. Thanks.”

We completed our warm-ups and went to the dugout and sat around waiting. After the opening ceremonies, we went out on the field as home team. Our competition, the Iowa Cubs, was first to bat since they were the visitors. While they got one hit, we held them scoreless. Not a ball came my way.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.