25 May 2008 - Cover

25 May 2008

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Chapter 8

In the intense fury of the action, it took a moment for the Falcons’ players on the ice to realize the buzzer had sounded and the game was over.

“The Belleville Falcons have done it! They are the Memorial Cup Champions for 2008!” Mark proclaimed.

Sticks, gloves, and helmets were sent skyward in celebration as the players on the ice smothered Sam Bennett. The linemen move in to separate the Chiefs’ players, motioning them toward their bench. The Falcons’ players on the bench sprang onto the ice, helmets and gloves discarded, as the two groups joined in the celebrations.

The normal play-by-play camera showed Coach Frank Stanton, Carl Benson, and the trainer, Zack Archer, shaking hands and excitedly hugging each other. As the players continued to celebrate, the staff shook hands with the Spokane Chiefs’ coaching staff, congratulating them on a hard-fought win.

A second cameraman was now on the ice surface, following the Falcons’ players as they continued to hug each other in joyous celebration. The boys whooped and hollered, with several F-words accidentally being heard. A third camera cut to show the celebration of the Falcons’ families and fans in the stands. All the Haywards, Kendalls and Jake Campbell’s grandparents were also hugging and giving high fives.

Frank and Carl hurried onto the ice to join the players in celebration. Higher above them, General Manager Greg Peterson and other Falcons executives were congratulating each other. Zack Archer stepped onto the ice carrying a cardboard box and began handing out ‘Belleville Falcons Memorial Cup Championship 2008’ ball caps to the players. The Chiefs’ box of championship hats would remain unopened and discarded.

Brad, Jake, and the other players looked up into the stands, recognizing their families and waving wildly to them.

Host Ken Morrison stood on the ice in front of the vacant Falcons’ bench, waiting to do player interviews. As Mark continued commenting, Jim made his way to the ice surface.

The camera showed Frank, Carl, and Zack joining the celebrations, then cutting to pan the Spokane Chiefs players.

Mark resumed, “The expressions on the faces of the Spokane Chiefs’ players reveal the shock and disappointment of a lost victory. Many hid their faces behind their gloves or bowed their heads, visibly crying. As the reality sinks in, players console each other.”

“Though Belleville had the best regular-season record in the CHL, the Chiefs were the favoured team to win the championship. They went through the round-robin games with no losses, only to suffer their one loss in the most important game. In addition, for twenty-year-old Chris Bruton, Judd Blackwater, and David Rutherford of the Chiefs, their Major Junior careers have ended on a sad note. While for the Falcons, Captain Dale Corbett, Randy King, and Chris Page leave the CHL as champions. Each one is furthering his hockey career while attending University.”


The camera focused on Ken as he motioned Frank to his side. “Coach Stanton, you and Carl Benson are coaches of the Memorial Cup Champion, the Belleville Falcons! How does it feel?”

“It feels unbelievable! Talk about an exciting ending to a championship game! I think I just aged several years!” He proclaimed, wiping his brow. “What a great group of young men we have the privilege to coach. All of our hard work during this season has finally paid off.”

“What would you consider to be the key turning point to such a successful season?”

“I think the turning point was when we came out of our early season slump. We made a few changes to the team that resulted in us winning twenty-three games in a row. From there on, we never lost more than two in a row.”

“Would you say that the play of your rookie, Brad Hayward, was instrumental in your successful season?”

“There is no doubt that Brad’s successful season helped our team, as did many other players. Quite a few had personal best seasons. It was also the acquisition of defenseman, Mario Giroux and Brad’s father, Dan Hayward, joining our coaching staff that added to our success. Every player contributed in their own way, whether scoring goals, having a high plus versus minus on defence, or killing penalties. We had the best penalty kill percentage in the CHL.”

“This game could have gone either way, and the Spokane Chiefs are to be commended for a hard-fought game and their own successful season.”


The Chiefs’ Captain, Chris Bruton, knew what had to be done next. He summoned his players, leading them in line to stand at center ice. Hockey is one of the few team sports where winners and losers of the play-off and championship games line up and shake hands in a show of sportsmanship.

Brad got Captain Dale Corbett’s attention by pointing to center ice. “Come on guys, it could have just as easily been us losing the game, so act properly and don’t gloat!”

Dale led his teammates, shaking hands with the Chiefs’ players. The camera followed them, the Falcons trying to reframe from smiling too much while the Chiefs, with sad, blank expressions, wanted to get the ordeal quickly over. Some players exchanged a few words after battling each other during the tournament. Besides a handshake, a pat on the shoulder or stomach emphasizes earned respect. The coaches also lined up, shaking hands with the opposing players.

One by one, the Chiefs’ players stepped off the ice, with the three twenty-year-olds, Chris Bruton, Judd Blackwater, and David Rutherford, leaving last.


The cameras now focused their attention on the Falcons and the remaining formalities. The players paused their celebrations when it was announced that the Memorial Cup would arrive. They stood across their blueline, gripping sweaters, and hugged, knowing this coveted prize would be theirs, at least for the next season.

The Commissioner of the CHL, David Branch, stepped onto the carpeted space at center ice. He congratulated Kitchener for hosting a successful tournament, then the Spokane Chiefs for a hard-fought tournament and game. Next, he gave the awards to the Most Valuable Player of the Tournament, Most Sportsmanship, Top Goaltender, and Leading Scorer.

Finally, he reviewed the Belleville Falcons’ season and tournament, then called Captain Dale Corbett forward and congratulated the Falcons’ Executive, General Manager, Coaches, and players on becoming the 2008 Memorial Cup Champions.

Mr. Branch and Dale held the trophy for several seconds as pictures and videos were taken, then let Dale take hold of the Cup.

Dale gripped the Cup and hoisted it high above his head, not expecting it to weigh as much as thirty-four pounds. The two-tiered dark wooden base and round top were adorned with silver squares commemorating the previous year’s winners. The large, two-handled silver cup was centered between two silver hockey figurines.

Fans in the Auditorium, especially the Falcons’ fans, applauded Dale for taking possession of the Cup. Tears of relief and happiness flowed from the Haywards as everyone made their way down to ice level.

“Yeah!” Dale hollered as loud as he could. As he skated toward his teammates, they swarmed around him, jumping up and down, trying to touch the Cup.

Mark commented as the players took their turn hoisting the Cup, “Like the Stanley Cup in NHL hockey and the Grey Cup in Canadian Football, the Memorial Cup is one of the few Championship trophies that are presented to the winning team’s players, as it should be, and not the team owner or General Manager.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.