25 May 2008 - Cover

25 May 2008

Copyright© 2018 by Mustang

Chapter 6

“Approaching the seventeen-minute mark, the Chiefs have been desperately trying to tie the game,” Jim mentioned as the face-off was set at the Chiefs’ end of the ice to the left of Tokarski.

Mark resumed describing the last few minutes of regulation time. “Rutherford wins the draw for Spokane, pushing it past Cross. Roman gets to the puck before Lindquist, causing Subban to back up. Roman fights off a check from Subban and now has a possibly quick two-on-one with Rutherford.”

“Subban skates hard to catch Roman, his stick tugging at his arm. The ref raises his arm to indicate a penalty as Roman passes to Rutherford. Tokarski recognizes a delayed penalty against Belleville and skates quickly to the bench for the extra attacker.”

“Rutherford cuts in on Bennett, looking for an opening. He tries to deak Bennett as Thompson checks him and stuffs the puck five-hole. Bennett manages to squeeze the puck between his pads, falling to his right side, and the ref whistles the play dead.

The ref pointed, “Subban, two minutes for hooking.” He made the hand signal of holding a stick and pulling sharply towards him. Subban protested mildly as he glided to the Falcons’ penalty box. He threw his stick against the bench, frustrated that he may have given Spokane the chance they needed to tie the game.

Jim commented as the replay of Subban’s penalty was shown, “Subban impeded Roman’s advance just enough for Thompson to catch Rutherford, and Rutherford still managed to get away a decent attempt.”

“P.K. Subban takes a two-minute penalty for hooking at the 17:15 mark. Jim, do you think Coach Peters will use his time out?”

“I certainly would. The face-off will be in the Falcons’ zone, and pulling their goalie will give Spokane a two-man advantage for two minutes or less. The next two minutes will likely decide the fate of the Chiefs’ season.”


P.K. slumped onto the penalty bench, took off his helmet to clean the visor, and took several sips of water. He felt guilty that he may have caused his team the lead in the game.

“Jim, you were right, as Coach Peters has called his thirty-second time out.”

Coach Stanton used the time to refresh his players on the strategies they use in situations like this.

“Coach Peters has indeed pulled his goalie for a two-man advantage on the power play and begins with forwards Bowman, Bruton, Wahl, and Koper, with Spurgeon and Cowan on defence. The Falcons counter with Lindquist, Cross, Mueller, and Grobenov.”

“The lineman blows his whistle, warning the players. Bodies tense up, ready to unleash their power! After a false start, the lineman drops the puck. Cross wins the draw, sending it back to Mueller. Mueller backs up using the net as a block, then, pressured by Wahl, sends the puck the length of the ice.”

“The Falcons set up their defensive positions at center ice as the Chiefs grouped in their end for their attack. The Falcons back up as the Chiefs now cross center ice. Cowan dumps the puck into the Falcons’ end, with Bowman and Bruton giving chase. They battle against Grobenov for the puck, finally stealing it from him!”

“Bruton circles out from the corner, looking for an open teammate. Cross pressures him with an active stick, taking the lane away. With no clear shot, Bruton sends it back to Spurgeon. Spurgeon sends it cross-ice to Cowan. Cowan, let’s go a slap shot that’s blocked in front!”

“The puck comes to Wahl, who passes to an open Koper. Koper lets fly a hard wrister that Bennett stops. The rebound comes to Wahl, who passes across the slot to Bowman! Oh, what a fantastic save by Bennett on Bowman’s hard shot as he’s able to cover the low side!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.