Mage - Cover

Mage

Copyright© 2018 by QM

Chapter 1

Four years have passed since the victory at Myrkálfar and the peace in the Mage community had allowed us all to recuperate and heal. Our lives were greatly changed as now we had the laughter of children in our lives yet the nagging feeling for us all was that this was but a lull in the tempo of life in general and new dangers awaited for us.

“This really sounds as if it could be dangerous, John,” Róisín stated as we went over the plans to essentially spy on the Yr’ch or Orcs as most Mages in the know were calling them.

“I know, my love. Roxanne is being as paranoid as possible, but the whole matter hinges on an assumption that they won’t be able to detect us.”

“They didn’t detect the Maraú-Uxuí.”

“That we know of.”

“That’s true, John,” she sighed.

“I did ask Jude if we were risking things,” I replied, referring to my Mage Morgana’s husband aka Judas Iscariot (don’t ask it’s a long story and things are never quite as they seem in the magical world).

“What did he say?”

“Apparently it’s time we had a look...”

“Not very helpful, but succinct I suppose.”

“Yes, Morgana believes we should go as well.”

“We being you and Brianna.”

“Yes, my love. You can’t because of Mark, and Morgana can’t because of Elaine and Mariamene and Abi because she’s temporarily filling in for Jemima on the circle of Seers in the London bureau whilst Jemima looks after Joshua.”

“Yes, Arch is going along as well, Jemima insisted. Why Mariamene? I never got that and it never seemed the right time to ask when we saw them.”

“Name of Jude’s daughter.”

“Really?”

“Yes, he loved her, but was forced to let her and the rest of his family go when he took on his great task.”

“Whatever that is...”

“Heh, true. Anyway, she married one of the disciples and was happy he told me.”

“Nice of Morgana to think of that.”

“She loves him and he loves her; they do nice things for each other.”

“That’s true; you do lots of nice things for me as well.”

“And vice versa.”

“It’s easy for me. You’re all so lovely in your own way ... with the possible exception of Jukar on occasions.”

“It’s just attention seeking with her, plus she likes the making up bit.”

“I know, but occasionally her timing sucks,” I chuckled.

“That’s true; Imelda has had to step in a few times to tell her to calm down.”

“I’ll miss you all.”

“We’ll miss you too, just be back for Imelda’s delivery of your daughter.”

“If it’s humanly possible...”

“I know, John; just try for once to be careful.”

At this point we were joined by Imelda and Jukar who had been going over offensive spells, Jukar looking a little singed and bruised from her training.

“My Ladies,” I greeted them as we embraced.

“Have you got time to give Jukar a fencing lesson, John?” Imelda asked, her pregnancy not showing yet.

“Of course, my love. Do you want to heal her first?”

“No, she needs to learn that defending yourself won’t always happen when you’re at your best,” Imelda said flatly and I guessed Jukar had managed to irritate her again in some manner.

“Very well, with me please, my Lady Jukar.”

Róisín and Imelda sat and immediately went into ‘conference’ mode as they began an intense conversation as Jukar followed me down to the Null circle where we practised our fencing and hand to hand combat.

“I ... I didn’t mean to upset her,” Jukar stammered out as we pulled on the padding and face masks we now had to wear (well, Jukar really) to prevent injury to each other.

“I used to irritate Morgana all the time when I was an apprentice, still do occasionally, even now,” I said with a wry smile.

“Yes, but you never told her she should give up sex to protect her child.”

“Jeez Jukar! Imelda’s a medic Mage. And with regards to what Morgana would have done to me if I’d said the same, I think you got off lightly.”

“It’s what women are advised to do on Finias.”

“Sex doesn’t hurt an unborn child, Jukar, not even late in confinement ... so long as a little care is taken,” I sighed.

“She thought I was trying to get more time with you ... before you go.”

“I never interfere with your ... roster, or whatever it is you use. You might consider doing the same.”

“Yes, John, I realise that now and it was silly of me to think my upbringing taught me what was best. I really was just thinking of what might be best for the unborn girl, but ... well I was just wondering if, you know ... you’d at least make the pain go away.”

“Do it yourself.”

“I ... I don’t know how.”

“What? You sorted out the sex thing and your fertility and never took it to the next step?”

“I ... er, no.”

“Ok. I may get into trouble for this, but use your mind to focus on your ovaries and note their condition and how they are supposed to be. Next look at the bruise on your face with your mind and see how the cell structure is broken and your body’s natural repairs are taking place.”

“Ok, I can see that.”

“Right, use the same type of energy on your face as you use on your ovaries to accelerate the healing process in your face.”

“Oh my,” Jukar said wonderingly as the bruise on her face faded after about five minutes of effort. “Not as quick as you do it though.”

“Imelda’s even faster. Warning though, only do it on yourself. Your body regulates itself pretty well. Do not under any circumstances try to heal others until Imelda says you can. It’s a lot more complex than you’d believe and if you don’t know what you’re doing you can kill the one you’re trying to heal ... trust me.”

“I will and thank you, John.”

“Ok, now we’ll go with rapiers and see if you can keep the healing going whilst you try to prevent me landing a blow on you.”

We went at it hammer and tongs for a while. I, often correcting her stance and showing the correct parry, Jukar as ever not really getting that close, but definitely improving.

“Morgana’s agreed to come over and continue your lessons whilst I’m away with Roxanne and Kate,” I informed Jukar as we walked back to the deck where I could sense Róisín, Abi and Imelda.

“Oh, that’s great, thank you, my love.”

“Been teaching the ‘brat’ bad habits, John?” Imelda asked with a sly grin using my nickname for Jukar in her annoying mode.

“She was ready for self-healing, I just added to your training, my love,” I replied with a grin.

“Yes, we’d have got around to it this year,” Imelda nodded. “Doesn’t mean I’ve forgiven her though.”

“She meant no harm, she was just thinking of you from the basis of her upbringing.”

“I’m not giving up making love with you just because I’m pregnant!”

“Well, you’ll have to once I’m gone,” I chuckled.

“That’s different!”

“I know, my Lady,” I replied calmly. “However, Jukar was only going by the advice in the femme chiffré that’s drilled into the heads of Tuathan women from an early age, not trying to pull a fast one.”

“Humph! Well, I suppose I can forgive her ... just as soon as you and her have showered,” she muttered as Jukar scampered away to clean up.

“Any updates, Abi?”

“Still debating sending a second Seer for a ‘go to hell’ plan,” she shrugged.

“Why don’t they ask the Æsir or Craebh Ruadh for one of theirs?”

“Because...” Abi’s reply petered out.

“Because that would be common sense and Mages are just as susceptible to its absence as mundanes are,” I chuckled. “Even Seers.”

“Strangely enough the gestalt via Seer Melanie has just put that proposal forward,” Abi giggled.

“Oh, I’m sure they’d considered it before this.”

“Of course, my love,” Abi lied unconvincingly with a broad grin.

“That’s good,” I chuckled. “Feels odd being out of the loop on this even though I have an invite.”

“We keep you up to date as much as we can, John,” Róisín replied.

“I know, my love, but there are things you can’t inform me of too, Council seal and all that.”

“True.”

“Roxanne offered you a job back at her Bureau.”

“Things are too quiet. Why do you think she engineered her selection to lead this expedition?”

“No more unrighteous left to smite,” giggled Abi.

“Yes, we were too successful and dinosaurs like me are getting stir crazy.”

“Well, the only ones left causing trouble are the occasional Thaumaturges,” Róisín observed.

“I’m not suicidal, my love,” I replied with a grin that was matched by her own.

“Glad to hear it,” she giggled, before insisting that I showered.

Upon my return I found we had visitors in the shape of Morgana, Jude, Ketty and Niras along with their various broods who were all splashing around in the pool along with my son, Mark. No, they were in no danger, we all were very aware of their location and ‘doings’ at all times, even if occasionally we were worlds away.

“Greetings, my Mage,” I stated with a formal bow followed by hi and hello to the others.

“Just came over for the kids to socialise,” Morgana replied with a relaxed smile, the stress and grief having vanished from her face and stance in the four years since the bitter victory at Myrkálfar.

“Can’t think of anywhere better,” Jude added with a relaxed smile.

“Might be the last chance we’ll have ... at least for me, for a while,” I nodded.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.