A House in Disarray - Cover

A House in Disarray

Copyright© 2018 by Vincent Berg

19: An Orderly House Once Again

I always wonder why birds
choose to stay in the same place
when they can fly anywhere on the earth.
Then I ask myself the same question.

Harun Yahya

Em, just entering the room, rushed to grab the ringing phone.

“Hello, Detective Emma Rules.”

“Hello, Cutie. How are you doing back in the real world?”

“Amanda! I’m glad you called. I’ve wrapped up my case. Aside from typing up the results, presenting it to the press, and testifying in court, it’s all over.”

“Wow! That’s fantastic. You closed a major investigation in only eight days?”

“Actually, only seven. I’ve been slaving over a computer finishing all the paperwork. I’m trying to get it completed so we can head to L.A. early to join you.”

Amanda paused a moment before responding. “We?”

“That’s a separate issue. Francine has decided to file divorce papers, but we weren’t comfortable filing them here. We were wondering if you’d put us up so she can file them in California, as well as submitting a restraining order against Jeremy.”

“Oh, of course! I’d be delighted to have them here, though I should advise you, there’s a twelve-month residency restriction before you’re legally eligible.”

“If those are the restrictions, we’ll find a way to work with them. But, if we apply for the order of protection, it’ll buy us time, as well as establishing a basis for her claims. Though, if that’s too long for you, we can always find her someplace temporary nearby.”

“Nonsense. I’ve got so much space here, we’re not likely to ever see each other in passing. I certainly don’t mind the company, especially if it means you’ll be here too. Don’t worry, with all the publicity you garnered, I trust your word is worth more than her creepy husband’s. I don’t think you’ll have much of a problem.” She paused, considering what would be involved once they came. “I’d love to have them, and they’ll love it here. I can show them L.A. Instead of buying them cheesy tourist crap, I can treat them to shopping at Prada.”

Em bit her lip, pausing before responding. “Please. Let’s not. Francine is trying to get resettled and Becky’s discovering how to survive in the world. The last thing they need is to learn how to shop at overpriced shops they can’t afford. If you want to spoil them, shower them with love. Becky and her mother will do better if they work on rebuilding their lives, rather than spending other people’s money.”

“Of course, you’re absolutely right. I was getting excited. After hiding who I am for so long, I’m eager to show off my new ‘authentic’ life.”

“If you want, introduce us to your friends, but please, no expensive gifts.”

Amanda giggled. “OK. I’ll have a dinner party with a few other megastars. Instead of buying them something extravagant, I’ll simply blow their socks off.”

“Actually, that’s perfect. Show them what successful people are like, while reminding them how they struggled to get where they are.”

“What about you? Am I allowed to buy my girlfriend nice things?”

Em hesitated. “About that, I think we need to discuss things, which is why I wanted to come out early. We can work through whether we can live in each other’s worlds.”

“Before you say anything, that’s why I called. After you mentioned being unsure about your future, it got me thinking. I didn’t want to mention it until I checked the details, but I’m going on tour soon. It’ll be a fifty-two city road trip which will take several months, but I’ll need someone to handle security for me.”

“Are you suggesting...”

“Absolutely! You always said you’d never make it to management because you’re too focused on details. It sounds like you’re just not willing to sacrifice for the sake of office politics. You’re ideal as a start-up. If you started your own security business, you’d call all the shots.”

Em held her head, staring at the ceiling as she considered the implications. “I don’t know. I have no clue how to run a business.”

“Then select intelligent people to help you with what you don’t know. As I said, being detail oriented, you’ll discover the right people. Hire some of your cop friends, find a cute receptionist, an accountant and you’re set.”

“Hmm, it’s tempting, but I’ll have to consider it for a few days.”

“Do that, but it’ll solve our problems. If you took the job, you could move out here and follow me across country. What’s more, when I’m back at home recording, you could pursue other leads. A lot of my associates asked about you following your encounter at the after party. They’re eager to hire you. They all have issues with stalkers and over-eager fans, and would love someone who can sweep in and rescue them. What’s more, they’re willing to pay top dollar for the privilege.”

Em ran her hand through her short cropped hair. “That means I’d have to leave everything behind ... friends, my apartment, all the crap I’ve accumulated over the years.”

“Which you were planning to do anyway. If you take a job in Boston or Chicago, what do you think you’d be doing? Instead, why not come somewhere you already have friends and where it’s beautiful the entire year.”

“You make a convincing case.”

“This is the perfect opportunity. Everyone remembers the incident at the Grammys. You’ve got name recognition. What’s more, from what you said, the police commissioners of the bigger cities will welcome you with open arms. Those letters the commissioner wrote will open doors in more ways than one. If they trust you, they’ll eliminate the red tape and provide assistance.”

“Damn, lady, quit the hard sell. You’re already on the inside track. Save a few details for when I get cold feet.”

Amanda laughed, her voice tinkling like crystallized candy on Em’s ear. “Once you consider it, I doubt you’ll have many doubts. I think you can see the opportunity for what it is. Besides, I’d love to discover how we’ll do as an honest-to-god couple. Need I remind you, I can arrange for a kick-ass wedding in Los Angeles.”

Em laughed, leaning back in her seat, putting her feet up, her worries temporarily forgotten. “Again, you’re making the hard sell too early in the process. The key is, tempt me initially with promises of wanton sex, then lower the marriage boom after I’m safely sated.”

“Oh, please! You’ve been fooling around with multiple women for ages. It’s never satisfied you. You don’t need more sex. You’re looking for a relationship as much as I am. The opportunity of an eventual marriage is something which appeals to us both.”

“Damn, quit making the decision so easy. I was anticipating agonizing over it.”

“Well, consider it as you wrap things up over the next few days. When you fly out, we can work out the details.”

“Sounds like the perfect plan. Now that things aren’t quite so chaotic, I can invest the time to plan.” She hesitated again, letting the silence stretch out for a few moments. “I’ve missed having you nearby.”

“And I miss you. I really want you here with me. If I need to, I’ll put on a disguise and slip back into Manhattan. If you lived here, we could both get a hell of a lot more work done.”

“I’ll tell you what, I’m emailing you our proposed schedule. Ask your friends and pilots whether the dates are feasible and get back to me. I agree with you, I’d rather be there than here any day. Don’t get me wrong, I love the city but ... I’d prefer being with you. I suspect, with this job offer, we may have resolved the issues between us. If so, I’m eager to see what we can build.”

Amanda hesitated. Em waited until she worked up the nerve to ask. “Have you ... asked your girlfriends what they think?”

Em laughed softly. “You were right on that account too. Although they were hoping something might develop, they figured out what I couldn’t. They realized I wasn’t satisfied and they’d prefer to see me happy rather than waste all our time.”

“We’ll have to invite them to our wedding,” Amanda teased. “Aside from our awkward first meeting, I really like Lucy and the others I’ve met.”

“You’re going to regret asking as soon as I say ‘yes’. You keep tempting me, and you may not be able to get rid of me. Warm weather, beautiful women on the beach, walking in the incoming surf holding hands. It’s sounding more attractive all the time.”

“Good! Wrap everything up, get Francine and Becky prepared, and we’ll get you out in no time.”


Getting off the elevator, Em headed directly for Mike’s office.

“Great job, Officer Rules.”

“Bang up, case. You made the entire NYPD look good.”

Another officer curled his lip, turning away without comment.

Em blushed. She was never one to seek attention. It was bad enough when people stopped her to rant about her appearance at the Grammys and the rescue afterwards. But it was disconcerting having cops she’d never met congratulating her as well.

“Morning, ladies.”

“Em, wonderful to see you again.” The lovely Stefanie was a delight every time they met. She always had such a sunny disposition, which stood in marked contrast to the seriousness of police work.

“Em! I’ve missed our little pub crawls. You up for another visit to Jeremy’s?” Nicole swept in, hugging and kissing her cheek. She was still a flirt, but that was as far as it went with her. “You did a tremendous job on the last press conference resolving the case. The media ate it up.”

“Nah, I’ll have to pass on Jeremy’s. I’m heading back to L.A. to go over things with the L.A. detectives. They’re interested in developing their case.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.