A House in Disarray - Cover

A House in Disarray

Copyright© 2018 by Vincent Berg

17: Interruptions, Public and Private

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story,
leave.

Mo Willems

“Ladies and gentlemen, you don’t want to hear any more from me. After all, I presented the same information yesterday. So instead, I’ll turn everything over to our newest hero, the recipient of Mayor Rosen’s key to the city, Detective Emma Rules.”

The applause rose, proving there were more observers than reporters, though there were plenty of both despite the weather. The dark clouds, blowing wind and hints of imminent frost were a far cry from the warmth of California. Fighting down a blush of embarrassment, Em took the microphone.

“Heck, you’ve heard the details of the case, and saw everything I did on TV last night, so how about I just answer questions.” This time, there was no contest, the journalists jumped in before anyone else. However, instead of the news teams, it was the entertainment reporters who proved the most vocal.

“How long have you and Mandy been together?” “Is this a long term affair?” “Are you planning marriage?”

Smirking, Commissioner Eddleson interrupted. “Excuse me, let’s keep this to single questions. I’m afraid we poor cops can only focus on one item at a time.”

“The first,” someone else yelled. “How long have you known Mandy?” However, that choice was immediately countered by several asking about marriage plans. Smiling, Em took over.

“As far as how long we’ve been together, let’s just say ‘long enough’. As for long–term affairs, any affair is too long, but romances of the heart last longer.” She stopped to glare at Mike, which he smiled at, appreciating the irony. “Finally, as for marriage, no one has asked anyone yet. So until they do...”

“Seriously,” one of the news reporters asked, shouting to be heard over the rancorous entertainment reporters, “you’ve never had any music, entertainment or business contacts which anyone knew of before. How did you fall into the middle of the Grammys with no one noticing?”

“Exactly as you suggested, I stumbled into it. I didn’t go looking for it. In fact, I never connected her with her music. I just responded to her as I would anyone else, which allowed us to communicate honestly. After that, everything tumbled into place.”

“You’re not being very straightforward,” someone on the outskirts complained.

Em laughed, rubbing her eyes. “Excuse me, I flew out yesterday, spent all day in make-up and watching Mandy practice. I got into a tussle when all I wanted was a relaxing drink, I spent hours in interviews with the cops and then we flew straight back. I’m a little tired, so as Commissioner Eddleson said, I can only focus on a single thing at a time. Does anyone have any questions about the case? Because I haven’t had a chance to consider what the rest of it means yet. Besides, I think Mandy’s addressing those issues as we speak, out on our left coast.”

That got a laugh, though the observers and entertainment people weren’t satisfied, but they were patient enough to wait their turn.

“How did your squad lose your primary witness? Who was responsible when things fell apart?”

Em shrugged, giving them a helpless smile. “What can I say, I’m not sure. But my ‘squad’ consists of me and Doug, and I’m the one responsible. But, I wasn’t in charge of the holding cells. As of now, we’re reviewing the recordings and access logs, but we haven’t uncovered much. Someone knew what they were doing. However, the witness in question was never the sole basis of our case. As someone under medication for psychiatric conditions, who attempted to murder me, we weren’t planning the investigation on his say alone. The other evidence is still there, and the inquiry will proceed on that information.”

“That’s what you said about your other leads, but each crack in the case dried up. Was someone responsible for the murder of your latest witness or not?”

“I’ll admit, things haven’t quite fallen our way. We thought we were close multiple times, but things slipped through our fingers. Let’s be honest. The people behind these crimes understood what they were doing. They’re good at covering their tracks. However, they’ve left too many footprints to quietly sweep this under the rug. That’s why they’re becoming desperate, because their wall of silence is cracking. The truth will win out. It’s only a matter of time. Need I remind you, the entire case is less than a week old at this point.”

“Do you have the time, especially with you jetting off to visit your girlfriend in L.A.?”

“Excuse me? I took one Sunday off to support a friend. Who else do you know that works seven days a week? What’s more, I’m glad I did, otherwise I’d spend the next several weeks mourning a terrific woman with a beautiful mind and a tremendous voice. You can’t stop one crime by ignoring others. Instead, you battle lawlessness as it occurs. You take the leads you uncover and run with them.”

“I’ll agree, my competitor was out of line with his remark. But how do you feel about the progress the case is taking? Do you feel Commissioner Eddleson is liable for how things are turning out?”

“Sorry, after years on the force, I’ve learned not to discuss my feelings during press conferences. Every time someone does, you rip them a new one. Instead I’ll detail facts. Here’s one: the only one responsible for this case is me and me alone. The Commissioner granted me broad authority, which is fitting, as it appears someone inside the NYPD murdered our witness. That officer will stand trial, but investigations take time. Police work doesn’t happen on your schedules, and we can’t always promise results in time for your deadlines. Yes, I took the day off, and I’m glad I did. But that doesn’t mean the entire inquiry halted, just that we’re human and are facing incredible odds. There are a lot of people hindering this case. If they can infiltrate a holding cell at One Police Plaza, it’s better there isn’t anyone else involved in the investigation.”

“Do you have any new leads, either for the case in general or who murdered the witness?”

Em had to brush her hair out of her face to answer, dark clouds sweeping past overhead. “Although we have no new advances since I left yesterday, we’re continuing where we were. My partner, Doug Wei, was busy working while I took the day off. He’s uncovered more information. The murder was by poison. Our witness was stuck with a hidden needle containing a fast-acting toxin. That allowed whoever did it to pass by and inject it, getting away before anyone realized what happened. We’re tracking down everyone with access to those classes of poison.

“Beyond that, Doug and I are pouring over recordings, trying to determine who passed by the holding cells. But in a facility this large, that includes a lot of people. Currently, no one stands out. But as you can imagine, watching video twenty hours a day, seven days a week gets exhausting. These things take time. We’ll get there, but by restricting contact with the evidence, we can prevent these types of embarrassments from occurring again.”

“So you’re saying there’s rampant corruption in the NYPD under Commissioner Eddleson?”

Glancing skyward, Em sighed loudly enough for the microphone to pick up. “No, I’m acknowledging everyone is human. In any organization this large, there are some who will take the easy way out. The New York City Police Department has an excellent reputation, but that doesn’t make us immune to a few bad apples. I’m sure the officer who committed this act is normally good at his job, otherwise he wouldn’t have access. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be corrupted under the right circumstances. But it’s because of Commissioner Eddleson and Mayor Rosen that we’re making the progress we are.”

Having waited for their opportunity, the entertainment reporters were getting antsy, so the rest of the interview focused on Em’s private life, much to Mike’s amusement. He didn’t mind the attention shifting from his affair with a murder victim, to a hero cop saving a national star. Mayor Rosen didn’t, either. Em was now the most recognized police officer in the five boroughs.


Despite the grueling press conference—mostly concerning her private life—the long hours the previous day and being recognized and questioned the entire way home, Em was still on an emotional high. Life, like this case, was interesting. That was better than a boring existence any day!

Mike gave her the rest of the day off—unnecessary, since she didn’t report to anyone—to ‘interview witnesses and prepare strategies for tomorrow’. Playing with the large key dangling from her neck, Em glanced down the hall. Amanda’s door remained locked and her apartment unoccupied. They flew back immediately after standing in for several pre-taped interviews on several networks, including the Tonight Show. Remembering the wild ride of the previous day, she turned her key and opened the door.

“Auntie Em!” Becky yelled, scrambling off the floor and rushing at her like a panther pouncing on a jackrabbit. Em had just enough time to drop her bag before her niece landed in her arms. Spinning them in a circle, she noted the collection of people awaiting her.

Becky clutched her tightly. “We saw you on TV! You were awesome. Not as wonderful as when you saved my life, but still terrific. Your videos are all over You Tube.”

“Thanks, I’ll tell Amanda. She’ll appreciate it. I’ve been a bit busy to check just how popular the clips were. I hope you don’t mind if I tell her you also like her music.”

“Please, I play Mandy’s songs all day long on your radio. Neither of you ever gave us a clue who she was.”

“I told you last night when I warned you to turn on the TV, but you can’t tell anyone. You can tell them you know Mandy, but not that you met her here.” She set Becky back on the ground, rubbing her head as she turned to the others sitting around her living room. “There’s still a ... chance she’ll return for a short time.”

“So she’s gone?” Lucy asked. “As in returning to L.A. and setting up shop in a mansion somewhere?”

Em nodded as she accepted a glass of wine from Francine, taking a sip. “She’ll be busy doing the talk show circuit. She’ll do some in Manhattan at the end of the week, so she might be able to slip away. But after the Grammys, she’ll be recognized wherever she goes. So don’t count on her returning here. Even if she could disappear, everyone is following me now, so it’s even more likely she’d be noticed.”

Lucy started to say something, but Susanna beat her to the punch. “So how’s Madonna?”

Becky circled around, plopping on the floor. “Forget Madonna. Did you meet Beyonce?”

“Didn’t talk to her. I was a little distracted and didn’t stick around. But I did hear her perform. She’s ... a terrific musician.”

“Oh, please, you don’t know one performer from another. The only singer you’d recognize is Madonna.”

Em smiled as she spread out on her seat, idly rubbing her key. It felt oddly familiar, much like the crosses her mother wore, and which she’d turned her back on as a result. “That’s what Amanda appreciates, someone who doesn’t make a fuss about who she is but who treats her like anyone else. But Madonna was a treasure, treating me like a sister in need of advice, rather than a clueless peasant. We’ll visit her and Timor when I return to answer questions later in the week. I’ll finally get to meet her kids.”

“Our gay friends will never forgive you for not recognizing her.”

“If I had, she’d never have opened up the way she did, and she’d never have given me the counsel I needed.”

“I’ve got to admit, despite listening to every song she’s ever produced, I never recognized her,” Francine said.

“That was by design. When you hole up in a dump like this, you don’t expect to trip over royalty. As a result, you bypass the princesses walking by every day without their crowns.”

“Will we get to see her again?” Becky asked.

“I doubt it. Not if the two of you want to remain undercover. In fact, I wouldn’t use the front door while you’re staying here. It’s too risky.”

“So what was California like?”

“Warmer than here, both the weather and the people. There, I don’t get grilled over what I’ve done wrong.”

“Yeah, I’m amazed they let you leave. Normally, when a cop injures someone, they’re questioned for days.

“That was because of Mike. He intervened, telling the L.A. police commissioner how dependable I am. He bought it, which still surprises me. But once I finished detailing what happened, Amanda and I decided to fly back rather than heading back to another party. Seems I’d become a bigger deal than the Grammys and Mandy didn’t like me stealing her thunder.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.